AP's post match interview

TopGun

A crap Plan B is no Plan B. You're just being pedantic, and you know it.

Here we go again. The man that knows absolutely nothing about running a football club having a pop. Perhaps you would like to enlighten us as to how you know that Pardew's Plan B is crap or that he doesn't have several plans?

Do you really think that an experienced manager goes into a match with only one strategy in his head to win the game?

You do have an amazing insight mate, and all the way from Austria too.

We had enough chances to beat Plymouth and Orient. Perhaps it is the players you should be having a go at for not putting the ball in the net because the chances are certainly there (and that would indicate that Plan A, Plan C or Plan Z are working as far as that is concerned).

I was wondering how much influence that Merrington and Mighty Mac were having on our trolley dollies and the derry boyzz..

Things can only get better if we all try to have an influence on this great team......Maybe we will be great as the season progresses...Hopefully.....

The axe grinders will no doubt support their team one day..Maybe not...

Unfortunately Duncan, I think you're right. I'm not sure if I agree with this course of action, it depends on who is waiting in the wings to replace him. But the bare facts are we have an underachieving team that has cost a few quid to put together.

If Cortese has someone lined up who is up to speed on the squad and its requirements then the sensible thing all round would be for Pardew to go now. If not, then Cortese should back Pardew 100%.

High risk strategy for Cortese to sack Pardew now if his replacement is no better. Wouldn't do much for his own position.

How do we actually KNOW that he isn`t?? Everything on this thread is rumour, conjecture and opinion. The FACTS are that we have dropped 5 points in two home games (unacceptable admittedly), and that the tranfer window is open for another few days. IF we are adrift after 10 games then APs position would/could be under threat but their is NO guarantee that anyone coming in will do any better. That is football - unpredictable. The club is as tight as a ducks ass now for information leaking out, and this has undoubtedly put some peoples noses out of joint. Even I have had information from inside the club that I have believed (and posted on here) that has proved to be wrong. By all means let`s have sensible (or otherwise) debate on here but let`s not continually analyse every word and nuance of APs interviews, put 2 and 2 together and get 5.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/8912863.stm

It concerns me that AP finds it difficult to string coherent sentences together on that interview... all the classic "erms" and "you, know" stuff that you associate with old school footballers.

I recognise that speaking to the media is something he has to do and it is not his prime concern but equally I wonder if that lack of ability to communicate his thoughts clearly and succintly might also be a problem when telling the players what to do on the training ground and on matchday.

I know I'll get knocked for this but I think it might be inhibiting the team because it's possible the direction he gives is not clear enough. Managers like Ferguson, Wenger and even Holloway appear to focus on an issue and isolate it and then speak far more concisely about it with the media. They probably do the same with individual players or groups of them in a similar manner and gain the respect of the squad in the process -therefore making the players more receptive and understanding of what they should be doing.

I didn't read this because it was too long and wordy. Can somebody summarise it in a quicker and more direct way please?

Three games. One victory, one draw, one defeat. Out come the drama queens. Pardew said judge him after 10 games. Not unreasonable.

I agree but after hearing that interview I tend to think FF is right TBH. When asked about players coming in, it wasn't a "hope to get one or two in by the close of the window" or "we've identified a few targets" or even "as I said earlier in the week, we are keeping our cards close to our chest and seeing who becomes available" it was a straight NO COMMENT!!

I agree but after hearing that interview I tend to think FF is right TBH. When asked about players coming in, it wasn't a "hope to get one or two in by the close of the window" or "we've identified a few targets" or even "as I said earlier in the week, we are keeping our cards close to our chest and seeing who becomes available" it was a straight NO COMMENT!!

Perhaps, or perhaps he is just fed up with answering the same question. I do wonder what is going on between Cortese and Pardew though.

You really do have some serious issues going on Alpine. How do you know that the lack of transfer activity is not down to the CEO? If that was the case would you show "tolerance and understanding"?

Because the manager has said HE is waiting.

Here we go again. The man that knows absolutely nothing about running a football club having a pop. Perhaps you would like to enlighten us as to how you know that Pardew's Plan B is crap or that he doesn't have several plans?

Do you really think that an experienced manager goes into a match with only one strategy in his head to win the game?

You do have an amazing insight mate, and all the way from Austria too.

We had enough chances to beat Plymouth and Orient. Perhaps it is the players you should be having a go at for not putting the ball in the net because the chances are certainly there (and that would indicate that Plan A, Plan C or Plan Z are working as far as that is concerned).

Give it a rest with the same old tedious WUM b*ll*cks, SOGGY....

Last season out of 46 League games we won 23, drew 14 and only lost 9 after another "traditional" slow start. 7 points from a play-off place after a 10 point deduction. That record would suggest otherwise. Please don`t play the old "turning draws into wins" card. If football was that simple or predictable, I would win the pools (do they still have those??) every week!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/8912863.stm

It concerns me that AP finds it difficult to string coherent sentences together on that interview... all the classic "erms" and "you, know" stuff that you associate with old school footballers.

I recognise that speaking to the media is something he has to do and it is not his prime concern but equally I wonder if that lack of ability to communicate his thoughts clearly and succintly might also be a problem when telling the players what to do on the training ground and on matchday.

I know I'll get knocked for this but I think it might be inhibiting the team because it's possible the direction he gives is not clear enough. Managers like Ferguson, Wenger and even Holloway appear to focus on an issue and isolate it and then speak far more concisely about it with the media. They probably do the same with individual players or groups of them in a similar manner and gain the respect of the squad in the process -therefore making the players more receptive and understanding of what they should be doing.

Your quite right,

“To put it in gentleman's terms, if you've been out for a night and you're looking for a young lady and you pull one, you've done what you set out to do. We didn't look our best today but we've pulled.

Some weeks the lady is good looking and some weeks they're not. Our performance today would have been not the best looking bird but at least we got her in the taxi.

She may not have been the best looking lady we ended up taking home but it was still very pleasant and very nice, so thanks very much and let's have coffee.”

Ian Holloway quote

I'm sure this would lift Tevez!!

Edited by St. Jason

Nope, that is a complete fabrication in your head. He said he is waiting for the market to open up.

Imo he has waited long enough, he is risking coming out with nothing.

Maybe he has been told to wait until the market opens up. The fact is we have no idea what is going on - just as we didn't earlier when you were getting jumpy about the defence and lo and behold we signed some defenders. These are professional people and are paid a lot of money to get it right. The next couple of signings will be crucial to the season and I am more than happy for Pardew to wait to get players he wants rather than get some for the sake of it.

Edited by sadoldgit

How do we actually KNOW that he isn`t?? Everything on this thread is rumour, conjecture and opinion. The FACTS are that we have dropped 5 points in two home games (unacceptable admittedly), and that the tranfer window is open for another few days. IF we are adrift after 10 games then APs position would/could be under threat but their is NO guarantee that anyone coming in will do any better. That is football - unpredictable. The club is as tight as a ducks ass now for information leaking out, and this has undoubtedly put some peoples noses out of joint. Even I have had information from inside the club that I have believed (and posted on here) that has proved to be wrong. By all means let`s have sensible (or otherwise) debate on here but let`s not continually analyse every word and nuance of APs interviews, put 2 and 2 together and get 5.

I'm not analysing AP's every word. To be fair, I am hypothesing on some likely scenarios.

Maybe he has been told to wait until the market opens up. The fact is we have no idea what is going on - just as we didn't earlier when you were getting jumpy about the defence and lo and behold we signed some defenders. These are professional people and are paid a lot of money to get it right. The next couple of signings will be crucial to the season and I am more than happy for Pardew to wait to get players he wants rather than get some for the sake of it.

This is just you and your anti-NC agenda saying this. There is no evidence for this whatsoever.

There is no evidence either way. Just be honest Alpine, you can't wait to see the back of Pardew.

I have no agenda against Pardew. I do however have serious doubts about his ability to do his part to deliver the 5-year plan.

Its for him to prove me wrong, and if he does, I will be delighted he is our manager.

You however, are desperate to seek the back of NC. Maybe you think Lowe will come back.

Football's not that simple - plan A then go to plan B, Pardew did change things, bottom line is didn't pay off.

He tried playing three upfront with Lallana in more central role - and the replacement of Hammond with Puncheon gave us more balance.

Too many player's not up to the potential - for example Lambert who is just back from injury. We had hatfull of chances and could easily been 3 up in first 10 mins. We weren't and that is how managers are judged.

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Fitzhugh Fella viewpost-right.png

Dead man walking, he knows it! A great shame but NC decided in

May to get rid and only changed his mind due to legend pressure!

I see no progress now until Cortese gets his ultimate wish!

Not giving a who is right or wrong opinion here but it needs sorting as otherwise no chance of promotion!

Results go his way and he keeps his job. Results go against him and he gets the sack.

That is him and 91 other "dead men walking" in the top 4 divisions. Pardew is no different so no need for hysteria.

As simple as, nothing more dramatic than that.

Anyone that believes they know someone with definitive inside information or claim that in regards to Cortese is fooling themselves. When you consider the background Cortese has come from, I found it very surprising he allowed Pardew to stay on when he directly went against Cortese's paramount instruction of prioritising of the league. It's only natural at that point Cortese would consider all his options, along with what is available should he choose to remove Pardew. I am relatively sure that happened, Cortese would not be doing his job properly if he were not to do so.

I was impressed with Cortese's decision to keep Pardew on, for something Cortese must have viewed as a direct slap in the face for his direction. He weighed up all the good and bad of Pardew, along with the alternatives. Then took the decision based upon what he felt was best for Saints, irrespective of ego or personal feelings. After all we have seen from Cortese, does anyone believe Pardew is still there based upon a couple of words from legends? I thought his comments in that regard were very precise and self explanatory. Along with any other decision he has made, if he believes he is correct, you have little chance of moving him.

I thought the decision to keep Pardew on was correct, not forgetting a run that included performances no other team in this league could equal. That said, I have never been totally convinced by Pardew, with the one repeating factor I keep banging on about, midfield control. My biggest cause of disappointment so far is that the teams we have played so far were at best mediocre and the other relegation fodder. His post match comments can be good or bad, with pressure turning all his intelligence and logic inside out at times. Results will dictate how much longer Pardew stays with us, which could easily be as short as 8 games should things be bad. The cup games really do not factor heavily into this, unless the league suffers as a result. Whether Pardew comes or goes is down to results and Cortese, who I trust to make the right decision for Saints, not his ego.

I have no agenda against Pardew. I do however have serious doubts about his ability to do his part to deliver the 5-year plan.

Its for him to prove me wrong, and if he does, I will be delighted he is our manager.

You however, are desperate to seek the back of NC. Maybe you think Lowe will come back.

If you don't have an agenda against Pardew why are you constantly picking holes in him? As for Cortese, feel free to provide evidence that I want to see the back of him.

As simple as, nothing more dramatic than that.

Anyone that believes they know someone with definitive inside information or claim that in regards to Cortese is fooling themselves. When you consider the background Cortese has come from, I found it very surprising he allowed Pardew to stay on when he directly went against Cortese's paramount instruction of prioritising of the league. It's only natural at that point Cortese would consider all his options, along with what is available should he choose to remove Pardew. I am relatively sure that happened, Cortese would not be doing his job properly if he were not to do so.

I was impressed with Cortese's decision to keep Pardew on, for something Cortese must have viewed as a direct slap in the face for his direction. He weighed up all the good and bad of Pardew, along with the alternatives. Then took the decision based upon what he felt was best for Saints, irrespective of ego or personal feelings. After all we have seen from Cortese, does anyone believe Pardew is still there based upon a couple of words from legends? I thought his comments in that regard were very precise and self explanatory. Along with any other decision he has made, if he believes he is correct, you have little chance of moving him.

I thought the decision to keep Pardew on was correct, not forgetting a run that included performances no other team in this league could equal. That said, I have never been totally convinced by Pardew, with the one repeating factor I keep banging on about, midfield control. My biggest cause of disappointment so far is that the teams we have played so far were at best mediocre and the other relegation fodder. His post match comments can be good or bad, with pressure turning all his intelligence and logic inside out at times. Results will dictate how much longer Pardew stays with us, which could easily be as short as 8 games should things be bad. The cup games really do not factor heavily into this, unless the league suffers as a result. Whether Pardew comes or goes is down to results and Cortese, who I trust to make the right decision for Saints, not his ego.

When did Pardew say that he was prioritizing the cups and not the league? I got the impression he wanted both.

Given that any "Plan" will end with "player kicks/heads ball into net" and is essentially about how to get in those positions; given that we got in loads of those positions; given that a few players failed to kick/head the ball into the net; it is clear manifest poop, smelly mushy poop, to ejaculate forth, on and on, about plans, tactics, the right signings (unless you think Lambert and Barnard are no good at scoring in League One) etc.

The plan worked fine. In the first half we played some of the best football I've seen us play for ages and created loads of chances. We also had loads in the second half. Lambert should've scored with a header. Barnard hit the post twice. Their keeper made two or three top-class saves. Harding missed a sitter. Yep, get a new plan. One that says "don't miss sitters and try and make the opposition's goalie play bad - maybe slag off his mum or something in the tunnel or sommit?". Yep, that's what we need. Our brilliant new plan.

What next from the planners? Probably move on to criticising a lack of "passion" or "effort". That's the inevitable default resort of the clueless whinger.

Oh and FF. Wowsers. CEO and scouting team have a say in who we sign!? Well **** me up the arse with a fire extinguisher! There's a Machiavellian intrigue if ever I heard of one. Keep em' coming. I'd be interested in finding out if the groundsman's involved in pitch maintenance - got any insights? Cheers ol' bean.

I have no problem with Pardew's after match interviews. He is not good at it but he is sincere and honest within the restraints I feel he is under - talk about the performance but nothing else by way of speculation. That seems to be Nicola Cortese's way.

What I do have a problem with is his management of the team. Posters go on about the fact it is only 2 games in and he needs to be given a little longer but what if he does not improve! It may be too late for his successor to get us the promised promotion.

Pardew was given the time last year and he failed. I think he did well from a -10 point situation but given he was provided with transfer money in January on the basis he told Cortese he could get us into the playoffs he failed with his main target.

This season we have seen a disjointed pre season, two league games where he has only demonstrated last years failings and a cup game where he admitted Bournemouth's system and players were confusing him.

I want to see a decision now. Eddie Howe is an up and coming Manager who could go all the way with us as he develops his undoubted talent. Look at what he achieved last season. Look at what he is starting to achieve this season. He is the ideal man to continue his development in Div 1 with us, take us to the Championship and beyond. This is a risk worth taking.

Pardew may be a decent Div 1 Manager but can he hack it higher? West Ham and Charlton had their doubts. He had limited success but now it the time for change Eddie Howe for me is just what is required at our progressive club. I think if he was offered the chance he might just see this as his ideal to develop his talents by moving up the leagues without jumping straight into the Premier mire.

Not giving a who is right or wrong opinion here but it needs sorting as otherwise no chance of promotion!

yeah, we'll have a new manager, none of the players will be his and he'll have 2 games to crush every team put in front of him before the knives come out......

he doesnt communicate properly

he doesnt have a plan b...... blah blah blah

give it a rest and let the man get on with it

Edited by Matty's Caddy
punctuation police watching

yeah, we,ll have a new manager, none of the players will be his and he'll have 2 games to crush every team put in front of him before the knives come out......

he doesnt communicate properly

he doesnt have a plan b...... blah blah blah

give it a rest and let the man get on with it

Agree

Duncan, I recognise you are well connected and may know something we don't, but what proof is there that Cortese ever wanted Pardew out? All we had was a rumour last season, and Cortese's usual 'not responding to idle gossip' reaction (and frankly, why should he respond? Especially if he has privately given Pardew his backing.).

Cortese isn't stupid. He won't be sacking Pardew, unless results don't pick up soon. He certainly hasn't already decided that Pardew is going to be sacked. He also won't have changed a decision because the fans didn't approve (perhaps he might have changed a decision because Markus overruled him - which seems doubtful).

I'm convinced that if Pardew averages 2.5 points per game, between now and Christmas, he won't be sacked.

If you don't have an agenda against Pardew why are you constantly picking holes in him? As for Cortese, feel free to provide evidence that I want to see the back of him.

Erm, that you are "constantly picking holes in him" ?

Can't understand why, surely all those years in banking have set Nicola up for this committe perfectly? I'd love to be a fly on the wall in those meetings.

Man, it is really difficult to discuss something with someone so clearly lacking self-awareness...

Edited by alpine_saint

I have no problem with Pardew's after match interviews. He is not good at it but he is sincere and honest within the restraints I feel he is under - talk about the performance but nothing else by way of speculation. That seems to be Nicola Cortese's way.

What I do have a problem with is his management of the team. Posters go on about the fact it is only 2 games in and he needs to be given a little longer but what if he does not improve! It may be too late for his successor to get us the promised promotion.

Pardew was given the time last year and he failed. I think he did well from a -10 point situation but given he was provided with transfer money in January on the basis he told Cortese he could get us into the playoffs he failed with his main target.

This season we have seen a disjointed pre season, two league games where he has only demonstrated last years failings and a cup game where he admitted Bournemouth's system and players were confusing him.

I want to see a decision now. Eddie Howe is an up and coming Manager who could go all the way with us as he develops his undoubted talent. Look at what he achieved last season. Look at what he is starting to achieve this season. He is the ideal man to continue his development in Div 1 with us, take us to the Championship and beyond. This is a risk worth taking.

Pardew may be a decent Div 1 Manager but can he hack it higher? West Ham and Charlton had their doubts. He had limited success but now it the time for change Eddie Howe for me is just what is required at our progressive club. I think if he was offered the chance he might just see this as his ideal to develop his talents by moving up the leagues without jumping straight into the Premier mire.

Totally with you, R. Couldnt give a damn about his interviews, there are bigger issues with him.

Not sure if Eddie Howe would want the Saints job, think he's Bournemouth through and through.
He will aspire to becoming a top Manager, he will have that ambition. He cannot make it with Bournemouth, they just do not have the money or infrastructure. He could wait and become a Premier Manager but that route is littered with good managers taking on too much too soon.

Southampton FC would be a perfect vehicle for him. His success will be our success. The two perfectly fit for me.

I hate calling for someone's head. Pardew seems to be a good chap but if we do not progress our new owners are likely to restrict money flowing from their personal wealth and we may end up with a lesser owner or nothing. Just surviving football wise and financially. I want more than that for the price of my season ticket and the support I give for cup games.

He will aspire to becoming a top Manager, he will have that ambition. He cannot make it with Bournemouth, they just do not have the money or infrastructure. He could wait and become a Premier Manager but that route is littered with good managers taking on too much too soon.

Southampton FC would be a perfect vehicle for him. His success will be our success. The two perfectly fit for me.

I hate calling for someone's head. Pardew seems to be a good chap but if we do not progress our new owners are likely to restrict money flowing from their personal wealth and we may end up with a lesser owner or nothing. Just surviving football wise and financially. I want more than that for the price of my season ticket and the support I give for cup games.

I agree that Eddie Howe has done an unbelievable job, most of the games last season Bournemouth couldn't even name a full set of subs - to get promoted under those conditions is probably unheard of. On paper the Saints job is ideal for him but my mate has known his since he was 14, and from what he says I'm just not sure he would stitch up Bournemouth and come to their rivals.

Erm, that you are "constantly picking holes in him" ?

Man, it is really difficult to discuss something with someone so clearly lacking self-awareness...

Once again Alpine, pot, kettle black.

Still now that we know that Cortese sits on a 4 man transfer committee (and no doubt shares his humungous knowledge of quality lower league players with his colleagues) I am sure that you will direct your scorn re the non signings of players recently towards him as much as Pardew? After all, we all know how much you hate hypocricy!

Apart from Howe at Bournemouth, would we be able to attract names like:

- Curbishley?

- Tony Mowbray ?

- Keegan ?

Then theres the ones that would get a mixed reaction ( Paul Jewell , Southgate , Hoddle , Phil Brown lol)

Now I DON'T want Pardew out currently , but I will give him some time to turn it around.

Whether Cortese will is another matter.

Ticks the box for me!

tell you what...fancy getting off the fence and telling us one way or another...lol

what howe has done down the road is nothing short of a unbelievable...and they are still going for it...good shout

Apart from Howe at Bournemouth, would we be able to attract names like:

- Curbishley?

- Tony Mowbray ?

- Keegan ?

Then theres the ones that would get a mixed reaction ( Paul Jewell , Southgate , Hoddle , Phil Brown lol)

Now I DON'T want Pardew out currently , but I will give him some time to turn it around.

Whether Cortese will is another matter.

This is the big question. If Pardew is shown the door, who will follow and will they do any better? Big call.

I didn't read this because it was too long and wordy. Can somebody summarise it in a quicker and more direct way please?

You read some of it though and you got the jist of it and you thought you'd post a sarky comment in response. Welldone.

how long you stick with a manager is a hard one, no right answer;

What I do have a problem with is his management of the team. Posters go on about the fact it is only 2 games in and he needs to be given a little longer but what if he does not improve! It may be too late for his successor to get us the promised promotion.exactly - but sacking a manager after 3 games, 1 win, 1 draw and 1 defeat - if you are going to do that why not at the end of last season? (which I doubt ever was going to happen).

Pardew was given the time last year and he failed. I think he did well from a -10 point situation but given he was provided with transfer money in January on the basis he told Cortese he could get us into the playoffs he failed with his main target.I doubt he ever told Cortesse that if we made those signings we would be in play offs (which don't guarantee promotion). He proved over the majority of the season he could turn a club around from total disaray into a team consistently performing as an automatic promotion side. - plus gave Markus a trophy before he died. I doubt that would have been seen as a failure, just not as good as ideal they kept some hope for.

Pardew may be a decent Div 1 Manager but can he hack it higher? West Ham and Charlton had their doubts. He had limited success but now it the time for change Eddie Howe for me is just what is required at our progressive club. I think if he was offered the chance he might just see this as his ideal to develop his talents by moving up the leagues without jumping straight into the Premier mire.if we could attract Pardew last year, who would be quite sought after, we should easily be able to attract someone like Howe

He pratically got us promoted last season starting on minus ten points,some on here have very short memory's indeed .

What does 'practically got us promoted' mean exactly ?

Does it mean more of the same hoofing it this year will be fine and dandy - Christ, even the less than mighty Orient had more possession than us on our own patch!

This one of the major problems and why we struggle in many games - our tactics, or lack of them are to kick the kick the ball in the air and hope for a lucky bounce - this will not do. This 'tactic' relies on luck there is not enough strategy which leaves AP out thought and out manouvered far too often!

AP needs to show he is far cuter than he has so far. If he was in charge of Exeter or Oldham fine but he's not, he's in charge of a rich, well resourced club with all the facilities and back up of a premiership club. Good individual players bail out AP time after time ala ALs goal against Bournemouth.

Our game strategy is just pants - all the time! It really does concern me what goes on all week in training. As soon as a team gets the ball down and plays against us we are absolutely lost.

Orient 51% possession - Saints 49% that's a poor statistic and damning of the time we spend without the ball - at home..

I do think that against LO the players did let the manager down. I only heard the Solent Commentary but that came over in the commentary and it was the theme from Merrington and Co. Pardew played 4-4-2 which at home to a relegation candidate seemed the right formation but he is often too cautious and this week to send on 2 subs at 80 minutes seemed too late in the game for them to have an effect.

I do think that against LO the players did let the manager down. I only heard the Solent Commentary but that came over in the commentary and it was the theme from Merrington and Co. Pardew played 4-4-2 which at home to a relegation candidate seemed the right formation but he is often too cautious and this week to send on 2 subs at 80 minutes seemed too late in the game for them to have an effect.

The system was all wrong. It was Pardew's fault no doubt.

These post match reports are getting a bit repetitive now (Burley anyone?) It's all good and well to say this is what will happen and we have to find ways to counter other teams determination when they play us etc etc etc.. but isn't that what the manager should be doing? Coming up with ways to do this...rather than keep saying it needs to be done?

These post match reports are getting a bit repetitive now (Burley anyone?) It's all good and well to say this is what will happen and we have to find ways to counter other teams determination when they play us etc etc etc.. but isn't that what the manager should be doing? Coming up with ways to do this...rather than keep saying it needs to be done?

Sorry, had I said that already? I think I'm doing it now :p

If he had played 4-5-1 at home to Leyton Orient, whether we won or not, some on here would have crucified him.

With all the attacking options we have, 451 against Orient at home does not make sense. What irks me is that we have known for a long time that we have issues in midfield with 442 and have not addressed that with personnel. It's having the right players in there, such we don't present a weakness to the opposition. And get someone in position that Jaidi can offload to that can pass, otherwise it's put the neck braces on. I can't see any reason why we cannot get in the right midfield players to play 442 all the time, it makes so much sense with all the attacking options we have. It's only when we don't have the right players away from home, I really feel 451 should be an option.

I am sure 451 will have it's uses along the line, especially when the team gets leggy and away from home. It will naturally bring the weaker teams on to us and we will still have far greater fire power than they can deal with. The biggest advantage we saw from it previously was the control and the opposition just could not cope with plan B when we went to 442.

This. FFS the number of people on here who seem to think that no transfer activity at all happens in the last 5 days of August.

Utd did not win their first two games. Fergie out