Policeman with the camera

hypochondriac

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

The complainants haven't got a leg to stand on.

Article 8 Right to respect for private and family life

1 Everyone has the right to respect for his private and family life, his home and his correspondence.

2 There shall be no interference by a public authority with the exercise of this right except such as is in accordance with the law and is necessary in a democratic society in the interests of national security, public safety or the economic well-being of the country, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, or for the protection of the rights and freedoms of others.

Hang on, people were actually angry about this? PMSL.

Don't get me wrong, I may have given the policeman a few gestures and stood right infront of him filming and asking him to smile (he didn't :( )....... but it was only a bit of banter as he gave me an excuse to do so. lol @ people who are angry about it.

treated it in the same way but my mate went a bit mental about it,as he has had a few encounters with the old bill in the past & just doesn't like them. maybe this is the same for the others who reacted in this way ?

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
DSM, I'm not arguing against the right to film, merely that it achieves none of the purposes that you have highlighted. Public safety? Prevention of crime? One has to ask what the reason was for the filming in order to decide if it was reasonable and acceptable.

I think you misunderstand my point. In my opinion it's an invasion of privacy and totally unacceptable in a supposedly liberal democracy.

However, with the Government(s) we have had, and their predilection for putting big brother cameras on every street corner, to the effect that we are now the most photographically policed state in the world, one should not be surprised that they used the worn out public safety and prevention of crime derogation whenever it suits them.

They do not have, at present, to justify their actions but it is possible to take a complaint to the ECHR over abuse of powers.

If you haven't got anything to worry about, then there's no problem!!

If you have been playing up at football then you know the score with PC Pointless and his merry men!!

All part of the fun and games!!!

People play up at football, never not at the little family club Southampton !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First post but long time lurker.

I wrote to the club about the provocative and intrusive filming by the police, and received this letter from Mr Cortese this morning:

"Thank you for taking the time to write to me regarding your unpleasant match day experience last Saturday. I was disappointed to learn that the police were filming supporters in such a way that it caused distress.

The Head of Safety and Security has been briefed about your letter and has been informed to work with the police to ensure this situation does not arise again.

The match day experience of supporters is very important to the Club and I appreciate you raising this matter with me. I hope this letter gives you the reassurance that you need so that you continue to attend matches at St Mary's Stadium.

Best regards

Yours sincerely

Nicola Cortese"

Encouragingly the sensible businessman NC sees no point in the stupid OB ****ing off his customers. Let's see if the OB backs off.

That copper had no right what so ever to point a camera into the crowd while the game was on.

If they want,the police from the control room,can pinpoint any seat in the stadium,so for the police to be so in your face is just inflaming any situation that might occur.

Yet another complete waste of police time and money.

Actually the law states that he does have the right. Lobby your MP for a change in the law if it distresses you that much. I agree there are alternative methods but the police officer was within his rights to do so.

The complainants haven't got a leg to stand on.

Article 8 Right to respect for private and family life

1 Everyone has the right to respect for his private and family life, his home and his correspondence.

2 There shall be no interference by a public authority with the exercise of this right except such as is in accordance with the law and is necessary in a democratic society in the interests of national security, public safety or the economic well-being of the country, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, or for the protection of the rights and freedoms of others.

Yoinks, can we have a written constitution, sharpish ? That's in law ?!!?!? :o

I wrote to the club about the provocative and intrusive filming by the police, and received this letter from Mr Cortese this morning:

"Thank you for taking the time to write to me regarding your unpleasant match day experience last Saturday. I was disappointed to learn that the police were filming supporters in such a way that it caused distress.

The Head of Safety and Security has been briefed about your letter and has been informed to work with the police to ensure this situation does not arise again.

The match day experience of supporters is very important to the Club and I appreciate you raising this matter with me. I hope this letter gives you the reassurance that you need so that you continue to attend matches at St Mary's Stadium.

Best regards

Yours sincerely

Nicola Cortese"

Encouragingly the sensible businessman NC sees no point in the stupid OB ****ing off his customers. Let's see if the OB backs off.

Fair play StOat and NC

Fair play StOat and NC

I thought it was a fairly unexpected response from the club to a complaint about Police behaviour, but then it is in line with his pragmatic approach.

It's not the club making this happen so he doesn't give a toss whose fault it is and wants it sorted out.

Fair enough.

Best regards

Yours sincerely

Nicola Cortese"

Fair play to both you and NC. I've not been shy about criticising NC for his PR (or lack of it) in the past, but I think that response is fair and reasonable, without over-committing himself to any promises.

I think you may need to get a life. I bet you are one of these people who write into the echo and Watchdog and would also write a complaint to the BBC if someone in the background was smoking.

Somebody has to. These people are the guardians of public standards and without them society would either decay into anarchy or freeze into a police state.

Best regards

Yours sincerely

Nicola Cortese"

well done NC

A classic reply .

I have nothing to hide but find such behaviour uneccessary as the police can see every seat in the ground.

At the pompey game last year I was asked at half time to give the steward my PFC RIP flag as control said it was offensive ,fair play|I gave it to them ..However on saturday the overt filming of fans who were juust watching the game is in my view could have caused a breach of the peace as people were quite rightly offended. What was the difference between that police camera and my flag ?Both caused some offence to people .

I think you may need to get a life. I bet you are one of these people who write into the echo and Watchdog and would also write a complaint to the BBC if someone in the background was smoking.

Well, I congratulate STOat for bothering to take the time to report this over officious plod to the club and the response from Cortese is welcomed. Although I accept that you telling him to get a life is an idiom, if one wishes to have any quality of life, occasionally a stand needs to be made against the increasing abuse of their powers by the police and others in positions of authority. The best situation is that they earn the respect of the public who then feel more inclined to assist them in their duty. What is not helpful is for them to be deliberately antagonistic and confrontational, which will make the public despise and resent them.

Thanks for highlighting too the best way to curb these excesses, by writing to the local press or the television programmes like Watchdog. I would hazard a guess that you might also be a smoker.

Now, if you couldn't care a toss about matters like these, then that's up to you. But please also allow others to feel differently about it as is their right. Judging by the number of comments on this thread, many felt as I did, that the actions of this rozzer in filming the crowd and the way that he went about it, was inflamatory.

I thought it was a fairly unexpected response from the club to a complaint about Police behaviour, but then it is in line with his pragmatic approach.

It's not the club making this happen so he doesn't give a toss whose fault it is and wants it sorted out.

Fair enough.

I'd imagine the club are heavily involved with the increased levels of policing we've seen so far this season, seeing as they'll be footing the bill for it.

Orient game was very OTT, there must have been at least 3 coppers stood on every corner on the walk back to town, a game like that would normally be police free.

That copper had no right what so ever to point a camera into the crowd while the game was on.

If they want,the police from the control room,can pinpoint any seat in the stadium,so for the police to be so in your face is just inflaming any situation that might occur.

Yet another complete waste of police time and money.

Surely, the Club have to pay the police to attend matches so presumably this was not an initiative of the boys in blue. If anybody has a problem with it why not get onto Club Security and ask a few direct questions about human rights and so on?

Innocent fans have a right to be indignant and concerned at this incident; questions need to be answered. Of course if you tell the blue lad to stick his camera up his tunic (ever so politely) you'll be in trouble for harrassing him but it shouldn't be like that. Innocent until found guilty but guilty of what - calling a referee a winker?

Best regards

Yours sincerely

Nicola Cortese"

He was just ****ed off someone had a camera in the ground...

I'd imagine the club are heavily involved with the increased levels of policing we've seen so far this season, seeing as they'll be footing the bill for it.

Orient game was very OTT, there must have been at least 3 coppers stood on every corner on the walk back to town, a game like that would normally be police free.

Just because they're paying for it doesn't mean they get any say into what happens during it. Come to think of it, that Cortese letter hints at one or two issues in how the policing liaison has been dealt with, not that it's like Our Glorious Leader to have problems with anyone else's decision-making of course, oh nosirreebob...

Surely, the Club have to pay the police to attend matches so presumably this was not an initiative of the boys in blue. If anybody has a problem with it why not get onto Club Security and ask a few direct questions about human rights and so on?

Innocent fans have a right to be indignant and concerned at this incident; questions need to be answered. Of course if you tell the blue lad to stick his camera up his tunic (ever so politely) you'll be in trouble for harrassing him but it shouldn't be like that. Innocent until found guilty but guilty of what - calling a referee a winker?

I'm pretty sure the T&Cs of the match ticket, the law regarding crime prevention (excerpt elsewhere on this thread) and endless hours of watching my missus watch TV Cops-type documentary/reality shows indicates that anyone can video anyone in a public place, and that you don't have the right to complain about anything.

I should think St Mary's being subject to smoking legislation (in theory) covers the definition of "public place" too.

As far as the bigger picture goes, I'm pretty sure they're videoing to get better images of people they're interested in already for other incidents.

As far as getting shirty with the guy for doing it, well fair enough if he's in your way, but someone getting lairy about the idea of people being filmed, then losing the plot and being abusive for no particular reason (or worse, just "because it's the police") is exactly the sort of imbecilic thug behaviour at football that I'd LIKE the police to be monitoring, thanks.

In the control room at St Marys,the police can link up to any of the cctv cameras in town,so if a large group of troublemakers are making their way to the stadium,they can be intercepted.They can also pinpoint any seat they wish and take pictures of any person at the game.The cameras are state of the art and can zoom in and capture any image of someones face,thus allowing an easy i.d of that person.

So why would the police want to send a copper with a cheap handheld camera into the crowd and film fans?It doesnt make sense,but there again sense and policing at the stadium dont seem to go hand in hand.

I'm pretty sure the T&Cs of the match ticket, the law regarding crime prevention (excerpt elsewhere on this thread) and endless hours of watching my missus watch TV Cops-type documentary/reality shows indicates that anyone can video anyone in a public place, and that you don't have the right to complain about anything.

I should think St Mary's being subject to smoking legislation (in theory) covers the definition of "public place" too.

As far as the bigger picture goes, I'm pretty sure they're videoing to get better images of people they're interested in already for other incidents.

As far as getting shirty with the guy for doing it, well fair enough if he's in your way, but someone getting lairy about the idea of people being filmed, then losing the plot and being abusive for no particular reason (or worse, just "because it's the police") is exactly the sort of imbecilic thug behaviour at football that I'd LIKE the police to be monitoring, thanks.

Just because something is legal, doesn't make it right. It's legal for me to dress up as Hitler and wake my nan up but that would be just wrong.

If people think what the rozzers did was rude, intrusive and likely to incite then they have every right to complain.

Just because something is legal, doesn't make it right. It's legal for me to dress up as Hitler and wake my nan up but that would be just wrong.

If people think what the rozzers did was rude, intrusive and likely to incite then they have every right to complain.

Or, as paying customers within that private business, they have every right to read the T&Cs, think "that's not for me as it will only incite me to be violent", and stop going to the football.

If you put as much effort into supporting the team as slagging off the old bill you'd probably be the best fan in the world. Ever.

If you put as much effort into supporting the team as slagging off the old bill you'd probably be the best fan in the world. Ever.

Slagging of the old bill takes no effort what so ever because I haven't been arrested once and everytime I have needed them to do some work (Car broken into, car almost stolen, friend attacked, youth causing damage to my property etc) they have been utterly useless. Most of the time it is the usual "we have limited resources, we can only do so much" sort of pathetic excuses.

Then as soon as I go to watch a game of football I am bossed about by the tossers and treated like a criminal, and they seem have all the man power and resources in the world.

Edited by aintforever

Or, as paying customers within that private business, they have every right to read the T&Cs, think "that's not for me as it will only incite me to be violent", and stop going to the football.

I agree with you on most occasions, but you're arguing for the point you're against here - why should we be forced, albeit indirectly, to stop going to football? Why is that right?

I agree with you on most occasions, but you're arguing for the point you're against here - why should we be forced, albeit indirectly, to stop going to football? Why is that right?

You're not being forced. Just like you are not being forced to feel incitement to act like a bellend at the match when someone points a camera at you. Just like you are not being forced to squinny on the internet that your soul has been stolen by such a heinous action as having your picture taken. These are all personal choices.

Slagging of the old bill takes no effort what so ever because I haven't been arrested once and everytime I have needed them to do some work (Car broken into, car almost stolen, friend attacked, youth causing damage to my property etc) they have been utterly useless. Most of the time it is the usual "we have limited resources, we can only do so much" sort of pathetic excuses.

Then as soon as I go to watch a game of football I am bossed about by the tossers and treated like a criminal, and they seem have all the man power and resources in the world.

Totally agree.Same type of stuff has happened to me and like your experience aintforever,i found the police to be useless to.