Southampton 1 - 1 Leyton Orient - Post match reaction

Baj

Regarding Pardew, why don't we just wait and see. If Cortese is happy with the working relationship and the achievements Pardew will stay, on the other hand if the relationship isn't working or the achievements aren't satisfactory as perceived by Cortese Pardew will go.
Sound advice Dave and something I am going to practice from now relating to Pardew.

The fans turned up yesterday to give Markus a good send off shame some of the players did not.

Events of the last 10 days, and the build up to kick off from Weds onwards in particular, dont seem to have been mentioned here. You might say the players dont care, or should be able to deal with it. I happen to think that for those in and around the club in the last 10 days, more impacted than any of us, it is not ideal preparation as a minimum. Goes for any player approaching any game at any club.

you know thats not what is being said. Do you agree that shows that AP did a good job last season addressing issues and building a good side?

Yes, but it wasnt perfect. We were unable to unlock teams that set up a bus in front of goal.

And it appears a lot of last season was down to luck, like Lambert hitting his peak and Lallana staying fit.

As for this season, I think there is a valid argument to be made that this summer and the pre-season has undone a lot of the good work that was achieved last season.

To all those whinging that the performance was the worst ever, would you rather we were playing utter sh*te and fluking a 1 goal win with 1 chance, or creating a lot of excellent chances but finding the post and an in form keeper? I'd rather have the latter, we'll win a lot more games that way
We'll win a lot more games creating chances that don't go in, over "fluking" 1-0 wins?

Tell that to Norwich.

Yes, but it wasnt perfect. We were unable to unlock teams that set up a bus in front of goal.

And it appears a lot of last season was down to luck, like Lambert hitting his peak and Lallana staying fit.

As for this season, I think there is a valid argument to be made that this summer and the pre-season has undone a lot of the good work that was achieved last season.

Last season wasn't perfect, but suspect we will never have one so maybe you will never be happy. Its one thing a manager striving for perfection but fans won't get much pleasure if they think that is a realistic aim.

Why was Lambert's form luck? Signed a good player who has consistently scored and improved his fitness and overall game - which he compliments AP in most interviews.

We have certainly not hit the ground running this season, hopefully down to bad luck with unusual level of injuries but think it is far too early to consider that AP has suddenly gone from being good manager to poor.

Regarding Pardew, why don't we just wait and see. If Cortese is happy with the working relationship and the achievements Pardew will stay, on the other hand if the relationship isn't working or the achievements aren't satisfactory as perceived by Cortese Pardew will go.

Pards will be pleased....

frustrated with some but should not make it personal with some of the old boys..

Support the Saints FFS:blush:

Edited by ottery st mary
personal rubbish

Two games....yup TWO games, and yesterday we played well and with the chances we had should have been 3 nil up buy HT... BUT that is football, so not sure why folk are panicking.. enjoy the ride. If we are not good enough for promotion, we will know about it by Christmas, but does this mean we should all start slating the board, manager and players again? Come on, the club, Markus' family and NC have had a dreadful 10 days, and that will ahve had an impact no matter what folk believe. This team will come good.. Believe!

I think we have to bear in mind that a number of key players had a limited or no pre-season with injuries - Lambert, Lallana, Puncheon, Hammond etc. I agree with those that are saying Hammond is only a squad player, he started well last year but has gotten slower and slower and at the end of last season was getting more bookings than the average restaurant table. Morgan will benefit from having the new signing alongside him and it will aid mobility in the rest of the team. Lambert and Puncheon need to play the full 90 v Bolton even if they cramp up a bit, they need to sweat out the rustiness and I think they'll be ok after that. Lallana is probably the nearest of that quartet to being fully sharp but it'll still take him 3-4 to be optimum.

Jaidi is a concern, Seaborne or Martin must be thinking it is only a matter of time before they get a breakthrough. Harding is also on borrowed time with Dickson hovering. We still lack pace but I have a feeling that is about to be addressed. We need a good display V Bolton and more importantly to get key men sharper and after the first L1 win, things will feel better I'm sure.

I've just seen today's Echo. Pardew is saying the team is feeling the pressure of being early favourites. Now I know the man is an incompetent fool.

Last year we had all the excuses trotted out, no preseason, poor squad, -10 points, the team effected by the negative points etc, now FFS we are the favourites with a bloody good squad, good gates, no debts, one of the few clubs not in debt and now this poor imitation of a football manager now wants to be cut some slack because we are too good but can't cope with the pressure. I thought that was his job to sort that out, up to now all we have to show is a complacent, low key pre season, that has left us unready for the combat of the season, one point from two home games, and out comes the stupidity.

Well for me Alan you have run out of time, either get on an get this collection of talent playing or go, but don't insult us with inane excuses.

I've just seen today's Echo. Pardew is saying the team is feeling the pressure of being early favourites. Now I know the man is an incompetent fool.

Last year we had all the excuses trotted out, no preseason, poor squad, -10 points, the team effected by the negative points etc, now FFS we are the favourites with a bloody good squad, good gates, no debts, one of the few clubs not in debt and now this poor imitation of a football manager now wants to be cut some slack because we are too good but can't cope with the pressure. I thought that was his job to sort that out, up to now all we have to show is a complacent, low key pre season, that has left us unready for the combat of the season, one point from two home games, and out comes the stupidity.

Well for me Alan you have run out of time, either get on an get this collection of talent playing or go, but don't insult us with inane excuses.

I saw this but didnt start a thread because of the abuse I would have got.

Two thoughts occurred :

1. Players cant hack the pressure, or manager ?

2. The pressure this season was entirely predictable; the writing was on the wall, for months. Maybe the team isnt properly prepared - AGAIN ??

Lets face it as far you where concerned time ran out for AP about two games into last season you've not exactly made a secreat of your dis-like for the man have you? Still I'm sure the next manager will get your support for a full 120mins before you start on him.

I saw this but didnt start a thread because of the abuse I would have got.

Two thoughts occurred :

1. Players cant hack the pressure, or manager ?

2. The pressure this season was entirely predictable; the writing was on the wall, for months. Maybe the team isnt properly prepared - AGAIN ??

IMO it's the manager, if he communicates excuses and pressures, the players will respond that way. item 2 - definitely.

Lets face it as far you where concerned time ran out for AP about two games into last season you've not exactly made a secreat of your dis-like for the man have you? Still I'm sure the next manager will get your support for a full 120mins before you start on him.

I didn't welcome him as the manager as I wasn't impressed by his recent record and the way his teams played. At West Ham he was given two of the best players in the world, Tevez and Mascherano and didn't have a clue how to use them. the rest is history and they sacked him as did Charlton after the fiasco there. The team for long periods in the last two games was a shapeless mess. And now excuses which are par for the course. The trouble for him, is he's had his season of bedding in and if he doesn't get the results going and start demonstrating the 'Southampton' style he will be gone. I hope he gets it right but I'm pretty sure he won't.

Just seen the highlights. I'd forgotten just how many chances we had. Or rather how many cracking saves their keeper made! Feel better about that game now in a strange way as we could have been 3-1 up by the end if not more if the goal was just a few inches wider.

well 100 yards wider for puncheons shot....

Just seen the highlights. I'd forgotten just how many chances we had. Or rather how many cracking saves their keeper made! Feel better about that game now in a strange way as we could have been 3-1 up by the end if not more if the goal was just a few inches wider.

well 100 yards wider for puncheons shot....

Thats my thinking we're not playing badly in both this game and the plymouth we created a hatful of chances we just lacked that final touch/bit of luck to turn those chances into goals. There keeper was on top form to which didn't help. If we where playing badly and not creating chances I'd be more worried.

I haven't read all the reports on this thread yet (had to stop, either that or hang myself !) so apologies if I repeat someone elses comments. I can't believe that people still think this team is not good enough. As some have alluded too, we are creating chances. The stats for shots on and off target for last 2 games shows we are creating plenty. We are certainly creating more than the opposition but at the moment we are coming up against keepers having a blinder and hitting a lot of woodwork.

After 6 minutes on Saturday we could have been 4 up !

Certainly not the sign of a s**t side.

Every time we get the ball and go forward we look like creating / scoring. Barnard for example had no luck at all on Saturday, thought he had a great game and was very unlikely not to get a goal. At the same time, must say that every time opposition get the ball we do look shaky.

Am I concerned that we have lost 2 games - yes

Am I ready to hang myself / slate Pardew / criticise players - No

We are creating plenty of chances and I have no doubt we will click right into place. We will get the team balance right. This may sound strange but I think we will be better off with an away game to take a bit of pressure off what has been a very emotional start to the season. We will be fine and I have no doubt we have the talent to gain promotion, but the team just needs to click into place.

I haven't read all the reports on this thread yet (had to stop, either that or hang myself !) so apologies if I repeat someone elses comments. I can't believe that people still think this team is not good enough. As some have alluded too, we are creating chances. The stats for shots on and off target for last 2 games shows we are creating plenty. We are certainly creating more than the opposition but at the moment we are coming up against keepers having a blinder and hitting a lot of woodwork.

After 6 minutes on Saturday we could have been 4 up !

Certainly not the sign of a s**t side.

Every time we get the ball and go forward we look like creating / scoring. Barnard for example had no luck at all on Saturday, thought he had a great game and was very unlikely not to get a goal. At the same time, must say that every time opposition get the ball we do look shaky.

Am I concerned that we have lost 2 games - yes

Am I ready to hang myself / slate Pardew / criticise players - No

Good post I agree when the chances start going in everyone will think we are world beaters

Frustrated it didnt happen particularly 2nd half Barnard was very unlucky and our best player on the day 1 concern though we have had teams create 2 chances against us and scored both times we need to sort that and we didnt look that fit 2nd half.

We will come good no changes are neede just a little paitence

UTS

Nail Hit on the head..

He would call for mourinho's head after a handful of games..

2 games in some of the reaction on here is frankly laughable...

If pardew goes, we will only head in one direction...downwards.

Get a grip....

We are creating plenty of chances and I have no doubt we will click right into place. We will get the team balance right. This may sound strange but I think we will be better off with an away game to take a bit of pressure off what has been a very emotional start to the season. We will be fine and I have no doubt we have the talent to gain promotion, but the team just needs to click into place.

I know if is only one result, but it just shows how many fans on here really do not give things time. OK we might stil mess things up but I cannot see it with the squad we have got. We are going to lose games that we should not along the way, but so with other teams in this league where things like that happen every week. We will go up overall though.

laughable comment. We signed top quality players and played some great football mixing both long and short passing, strength and pace. Absolutely nothing to do with luck. You do talk some ****, but this ranks up there with your opinion on Lallana and Schneiderlin the summer before last.

laughable comment. We signed top quality players and played some great football mixing both long and short passing, strength and pace. Absolutely nothing to do with luck. You do talk some ****, but this ranks up there with your opinion on Lallana and Schneiderlin the summer before last.

Schneiderlin the luxury player, drop him and Lallana and play Wotton. That thread was fun.

Schneiderlin the luxury player, drop him and Lallana and play Wotton. That thread was fun.

Very, very easy to say with hindsight.

And I get accused of going on about being right.

Funny how a lot of people on here are becoming the thing they claim to despise today; often said the agression on here is worse when we win.

Very, very easy to say with hindsight.

perhaps so, but unfortunately for your weak arguement I was saying how good they were at the time. I based that opinion on what I saw not what I read third hand. The same paplies here with you suggesting the season was down to luck. Total ********.

BTW you have to be right first before you go on about being right.

Edited by Chez

perhaps so, but unfortunately for your weak arguement I was saying how good they were at the time. I based that opinion on what I saw not what I read third hand. The same paplies here with you suggesting the season was down to luck. Total ********.

BTW you have to be right before you go on about being right.

You will be one of the first on here banging on about bad luck if our seasonn is disrupted by a long layoff from Lallana or Lambert not being fit and scoring less goals. If you can use bad luck for the season (already used about the start), it is perfectly valid to say that we managed to get so close last season due to good luck. Not many players come out as league top scorer two seasons in a row.

Oh, and I am perfectly happy with my hit-rate about being right about things.

You will be one of the first on here banging on about bad luck if our seasonn is disrupted by a long layoff from Lallana or Lambert not being fit and scoring less goals. If you can use bad luck for the season (already used about the start), it is perfectly valid to say that we managed to get so close last season due to good luck. Not many players come out as league top scorer two seasons in a row.

Oh, and I am perfectly happy with my hit-rate about being right about things.

I will? Blimey, you can judge a player without seeing them and now you can predict how I will react to a potential future event. Darren Brown has nothuing on you.

BTW you can have a squad of 25 all fit the entire season, but if they are crap players you won't win games. Luck helps of course (if you believe in it) but you suggested luck had LOT to do with last season. Total rot. Quality players was the reason we won games last season.

pessamists tend to have low expectations.