Southampton 1 - 1 Leyton Orient - Post match reaction

Baj

Pards has NOT got a Plan B.

A trained chimp knows putting subs on at 80mins unless you are 3-0 up is POINTLESS.

Puncheon was closer to hitting the Space Station with that shot than he was the goal. Always cut inside - you're on the wing for a reason.

Hammond was, well nowhere all game.

Only plus points for me - Barnard and Butterfield.

Everyone else?

Shocking.

When the hell are we going to play forward, not bloody sideways or backwards.

Orient went forward and were in the 18yd box within 3 PASSES

We took three passes to get from side to side.

New Ideas Required. Not saying Pardew needs to go, but he needs to pull his finger out.

Not impressed - not calling for Pard's head however we had our strongest team out there today and could not beat Orient.

We knew in the summer we needed backup for Rickie - we didn't buy anybody.

We knew we had to practice and deal with teams who park the bus - it seems we haven't learn't this well.

We know we are crap at holding on to leads in matches - still we continue to allow teams back in.

Have we gone forward at all???????

So disappointing today.

The players didn't do it for Markus and were outbattled by a less than talented Orient side.

Some of our players played like zombies with boots made out of cement.

The pre-season results were poor and this form has continued with us now dropping vital league points at home. We desperately need more effective midfield players and an injection of pace. This has been stark staring obvious for a very long time now.

I get the feeling that Pardew knows he is going to be replaced and this is now reflected in the poor preparation and performance of the team. Just lumping the ball up to Ricky isn't going to cut it.

Firstly, we looked a decent team until Orient equalised, with a pretty decent shape and a lot of confidence, the ingredients of a good performance. Then what happened, for over an hour we were a shapeless mess. Lallana and Puncheon narrow and crowded out, Schneiderlin totally unambitious playing the obvious square ball or pass back, Hammond - did he play? So that takes care of a totally impotent midfield. Up front Lambert kept getting dragged out of the middle where we needed him but questions needed to be asked whether Barnard and Lambert are a pair, as well and as much as Barnard tried. The Back four was reasonable but Davis is giving them nightmares despite his obvious only abilities to shot stop and kick it long.

Secondly everybody said this summer 'no excuses this season', for me time has run out for Pardew, today we desperately needed intervention, instead we got a spectator manager. The team was obviously struggling with no width, trying to kick the door down, hitting plenty of Lloyd James type crosses from way out, mostly to the goalkeeper but pretty inneffective. So what did he do first, FFS he put Barnard who has no pace and doesn't take people on wide left and put Lallana inside where he had been for most of the second half anyway. If he wanted to put Lallana up the middle he needed to bring Oxlade-Chamberlain on wide right and Puncheon wide left. When he did make a change with a few minutes left I wouldn't argue with Hammond off and Puncheon in the middle and Connolly for Barnard with O-C wide right.

Thirdly we may be close to seeing some signings. I heard a rumour that there are possibly three in the pipeline, and with Pardew's refusal to comment rather than making the usual bland remark about hoping to strengthen the squad, it wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't some substance in this. Then again we need to get the players we have, playing as a team.

In the absence of obvious new signings I would like to see some radical thinking. I would like to see some changes. Bialkowski given a run, Seaborne at centre back beside Jaidi/Martin with Fonte as a central midfielder with Puncheon, Lallana and O-C wide. I can't see past Lambert and Barnard or Connolly.

I like the way Fonte bursts forward, we need to be getting the two midfielders running beyond the strikers instead of just passively sitting deep. I have been really impressed with Eddie Howe and find Pardew inneffectual by comparison.

One big criticism, we had an option to purchase Waigo but Pardew didn't fancy him. I was told today he is playing in Fiorentina's first team and laid on a goal this week. Not good enough for Pardew but good enough for serie A. We could have used him. (I haven't verified this but the source is reliable)

Edited by derry

Disappointing.

+ve , start of game we looked unplayable - did not last long enough. As well as the goal we had 3 other near misses - Barnard hitting post keeper well beaten, Barnard just failing to get to header when goalie beaten and Lambert downward header. When we had them on back foot team played well - Puncheon was beating players with ease, Butterfield joining up well.

-ve

key thing for me is we are losing the battle in CM. Hammond was not in the game at all, Schneiderlin was nothing like the player last season showing odd moments only. No Case / Marsden to grab hold of the game, pick up scraps when they clear it or fight back when their pressure came. CM to me remains my first choice of a quality signing.

Next biggest problem was CBs. Fonte had his worst game for us and Jaidi was appalling. At one stage he was about 3m from the ball, the forward about 7m and still the forward got to it first. Although never fast he is normally commanding - he wasn't, lost a lot of headers and the booking was typicial - making up for his slow reactions. But what really effected the team is the amount of possession he gave away.

Cortesse was not in the box by the end of the game.

Although Juilan and Andrew Lloyd Webber were!

Don't get the Puncheon slating at all

This sounds more like the game I watched, except the Puncheon bit I thought he was porr today.

1st 10 mins looked like a 5-0 home winning coming at least , Lambert was winning everything , Barnard was sharp , as soon as the equalised we went in to limp mode , urgency went , looked very one pace through out the team .

2nd half started like the 1st half ended , no pace whatsoever in the team , we had chances to break quick , but decided to either play a square ball , or a long ball that never went to a saints head . Lambert became the invisible man in the 2nd half , lallanna looked off the pace , everything he tried didnt come off , no subs till 10 mins to go , far to late to have any impact , unless we buy a couple of very quick wingers to inject some pace into the side its going to be a very long season . There is no excuses if we cant beat a team like Orient at home it doesnt look great . We all know how tough this league is to get out of look how long it took Leeds to get out . Signings required , Quality with pace . probably 3 players required and quick .

A team with pretensions of top 2 simply shouldn't go into limp mode. You need heart and character to achieve top 2 - pussies do not get promoted.

Whatever the result is the least I expect from SFC is heart and grit.

Firstly, we looked a decent team until Orient equalised, with a pretty decent shape and a lot of confidence, the ingredients of a good performance. Then what happened, for over an hour we were a shapeless mess. Lallana and Puncheon narrow and crowded out, Schneiderlin totally unambitious playing the obvious square ball or pass back, Hammond - did he play? So that takes care of a totally impotent midfield. Up front Lambert kept getting dragged out of the middle where we needed him but questions needed to be asked whether Barnard and Lambert are a pair, as well and as much as Barnard tried. The Back four was reasonable but Davis is giving them nightmares despite his obvious only abilities to shot stop and kick it long.

Secondly everybody said this summer 'no excuses this season', for me time has run out for Pardew, today we desperately needed intervention, instead we got a spectator manager. The team was obviously struggling with no width, trying to kick the door down, hitting plenty of Lloyd James type crosses from way out, mostly to the goalkeeper but pretty inneffective. So what did he do first, FFS he put Barnard who has no pace and doesn't take people on wide left and put Lallana inside where he had been for most of the second half anyway. If he wanted to put Lallana up the middle he needed to bring Oxlade-Chamberlain on wide right and Puncheon wide left. When he did make a change with a few minutes left I wouldn't argue with Hammond off and Puncheon in the middle and Connolly for Barnard with O-C wide right.

Thirdly we may be close to seeing some signings. I heard a rumour that there are possibly three in the pipeline, and with Pardew's refusal to comment rather than making the usual bland remark about hoping to strengthen the squad, it wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't some substance in this. Then again we need to get the players we have, playing as a team.

In the absence of obvious new signings I would like to see some radical thinking. I would like to see some changes. Bialkowski given a run, Seaborne at centre back beside Jaidi/Martin with Fonte as a central midfielder with Puncheon, Lallana and O-C wide. I can't see past Lambert and Barnard or Connolly.

I like the way Fonte bursts forward, we need to be getting the two midfielders running beyond the strikers instead of just passively sitting deep. I have been really impressed with Eddie Howe and find Pardew inneffectual by comparison.

One big criticism, we had an option to purchase Waigo but Pardew didn't fancy him. I was told today he is playing in Fiorentina's first team and laid on a goal this week. Not good enough for Pardew but good enough for serie A. We could have used him. (I haven't verified this but the source is reliable)

Serie A has not started yet

I can't believe some of what I'm reading on here tonight!

I completely agree with Pards, I thought first-half was the best we've played under his management. We knocked the ball around superbly for the first 15 minutes, and we were patient in our build-up. But for their keeper being in fine form, we could have gone in at the break 2 or 3 goals ahead.

It's a shame we conceded a sloppy goal at a set-piece, but that shouldn't have had any bearing on the game in truth. Overall, we were by far the better side and if we continue to play like that this season, we'll go up, f'sure.

Puncheon was very frustrating today, although I understand why Pards sticks by him. He's a player that will do nothing for 89 minutes other than disappoint, but then in one moment he can win you a game.

I think Barnard should get a special mention too. On another day, he could have had a hat-trick. His effort that rattled the post was superb, and his performance deserved a goal or two. Feel sorry that he was subbed too but we would have been a bit lightweight up top had Lambert come off.

I do think people need to take a step back and stop over-reacting. Yes, our start to the season hasn't been ideal, but there is a LOOOONG way to go. Lets see where we are after 10 games or so, then will be the time to raise some questions if we're still some way off the top spots.

On the whole, I thoroughly enjoyed today's game and if we play like that next Saturday, Bristol Rovers will struggle to get anything from the game.

Top post.

The sad thing is, it's catch 22. Pardew will see out August, and if he hasn't signed anyone, there's a very real chance he'll be gone based on this team's current showing. Then the next poor bugger in charge has no transfer window to do anything with the team, and has to use the players he's inherited from Pardew.

Either sack Pardew now, or hope he signs someone and "his" team improve and assess how he's getting on in December, before the next transfer window is wasted. Waiting for the loan window would be folly, even waiting for the end of August would be foolhardy. I do think we'll see playing staff brought in - the question is, will they be the players we need to cover the positions we're short in? (Almost universally accepted as a pacy winger, central midfield box to box player and a tall striker...)

We need a new winger. A quick one who can beat players and be different. Someone who can spark some magic when every team comes to defend for their token 0-0 against us!

Dissappointed but its not unusual as we always have appauling starts. We will get better soon, just like Charlton - who start well and finish bad, will fade away. It's tradition.

The sad thing is, it's catch 22. Pardew will see out August, and if he hasn't signed anyone, there's a very real chance he'll be gone based on this team's current showing. Then the next poor bugger in charge has no transfer window to do anything with the team, and has to use the players he's inherited from Pardew.

Either sack Pardew now, or hope he signs someone and "his" team improve and assess how he's getting on in December, before the next transfer window is wasted. Waiting for the loan window would be folly, even waiting for the end of August would be foolhardy. I do think we'll see playing staff brought in - the question is, will they be the players we need to cover the positions we're short in? (Almost universally accepted as a pacy winger, central midfield box to box player and a tall striker...)

I think sam allardyce summed up the problem today on the radio,talking about an expected takeover of Blackburn with an estimated £100m to spend on players.......basically he said that it's all well and good having the money to spend but if the players don't want to play for an unfashionable club then they won't sign.......perhaps we are having the same sort of problems,unfashionable club in the 3rd league is not as attractive as some think.

Any decent player is going to be aiming as high as possible with a high profile club no matter how much money is offered.

I think sam allardyce summed up the problem today on the radio,talking about an expected takeover of Blackburn with an estimated £100m to spend on players.......basically he said that it's all well and good having the money to spend but if the players don't want to play for an unfashionable club then they won't sign.......perhaps we are having the same sort of problems,unfashionable club in the 3rd league is not as attractive as some think.

Any decent player is going to be aiming as high as possible with a high profile club no matter how much money is offered.

I agree about being in League One and struggling to attract some players - Brett Pitman, on the face of it, would fit in perfectly here, but with bigger clubs calling we wouldn't have much of a shot, even if Pardew was interested in bringing him in. However we were able to attract Fonte, a player from a higher league, who was playing regularly and well (although Palace were in a position that they had to sell, it didn't stop other teams from trying to bring him in), and we were able to bring in Lambert who, after two good seasons at Rovers could've made the step up.

I'm still on Pardew's side, for the time being, but I fail to see why he's struggling to sign players - we did it in January, and we did it last August. Fingers crossed this will be remedied asap.

Is Puncheon getting worse or what?

Puncheon's effort was better than most today and he frequently battled forward but lacked support. Had opportunities but shooting was like Kenwyne Jones on a bad day. Low flying aircraft beware!

Pretty much as I saw it.

Poor show in front of Liebherr's family. I hope they have not been put off by the inept tactics and performances this season so far..

Today was a bit of a funny one, there was understandably a lot of emotion surrounding the game, the players had not played for 11 days and Orient did give it a bit of a go in flashes. MOM for me was Butterfield how nice it was to see a Right back with 2 feet, none of this cutting in to get the ball onto the "right foot". Pain in the backside for me was Puncheon I would have replaced him with Chamberlain who for me was like a box of fireworks someone had dropped a sparkler into (came on late so his performance was short and sweet but left a mark with me).

What frustrates the wotsit out of me is when we defend a corner every man in a Saints shirt is in the 18yrd box no one is lurking with intent towards the centre circle so the opposing team becomes a bit more bolder and crowds the box inside and out all 10 of them ( jeez I am just a bloke in the stands who sells wooden spoons and I can see that!!)!!

Still just 2 league games in, unfortunately we have a different Monkey on our backs, last season we had the -10, this season we have the tag of the pre-season favourites to win the league. Add to this the desire by our opposition not to be tonked by us just compounds everything, (Oldham last season should have been seen as a portent). With 3 games played the tenuous salvation for me is that we beat Bournemouth by 2, a team who have smashed 2 teams this last week.

The rickety stool, length of rope, and stout branch search along with the rusty razor blades are locked away in the back of the cupboard.

Jaidi very poor.....Legs in the changing room..Past his sell by date.

Barnard..Worked very hard and unlucky not to have at least two goals.

Spiderman and Hammond not firing together....Not sure of the solution..

But I do believe that Spiderman is not right for this league..He may have talent but does not do it for me.

Alex OC looks a good bet and has a lot of speed and fire in his belly....I would have brought him on 10/15 mins earlier.

Rikkie struggling with his groin injury?

Brazillian lad watching game from VIP box 20...Tall with mohican.....Let us hope he is the tall fast midfield/striker

we need.

Personally wish it was Alan Kardec aged 20 at ACMilan.....Wishful thinking....

Whoever it was...looks like a signing with two more to come..loans..

Saints will start getting the results.....No problem....

Good analysis - wonder whether we really both Hammond and Schneiderlin for home games. Schneiderlin has more potential than Hammond but just seems to be coasting at the moment.

Pardew should take some responsibility for this - i can understand that by having our CMs hold the fort it frees up the front four - but its just crazy how rigidly this is implemented - they seem to get travel/home sickness whenever they cross the halfway line when they should be occasionally gambling and giving and going - one reason it was so refreshing to see Fonte be a bit more cavalier.

Anyway the result is that we are far too predictable - there's very little need for opponents to track or anticipate any of our players making runs. it also demands a hell of alot from Puncheon and Lallana - I think Puncheon has had a poor few games but he gets very little assistance at times; most serious, we lose our shape as a consequence of these tactics since they seem to create a massive vacuum in the middle of the park whenever we're attacking. In the absence of Hammond or Schneiderlin or another CM to support play, the likes of Lallana and Puncheon get sucked off the wings to pick up the ball while Barnard and Lambert end up getting pulled deeper and deeper. As you put it, its a shapeless mess.

Edited by shurlock

Notoriously slow starting Saints stumble to a lucky draw..........nothing is new!! Saints NEVER start the season in August.....its always October before they realise they are meant to play!!

Could you explain what was lucky about the draw. From where I stood it was Orient who were lucky to get the draw but what do I know compared with all the "Sack Pardew" gurus who have already rushed to post.

Heard from someone tonight that if we don't beat Rovers next week Pardew is history, not sure how IKT this person is.

Well if you heard it from someone it's probably true.

Honestly, what a lot of overreaction. We played like champions for the first 15 minutes then let in a sloppy goal following Orient's first real attack. But we hit the post a couple of times and the bar and their keeper made a couple of tremendous saves. Barnard had a great game as did Butterfield. Those are the positives.

Negatives were that Orient then parked the bus and we lacked the guile to move it. Puncheon repeatedly over-elaborated when a simple pass was a better option. Lambert, after his excellent goal, didn't look like scoring another and was far too often out of position putting crosses in rather than being in the box to receive them. Jaidi defended well but his passing was appalling.

I think we're going to see lots of teams come to St Mary's and play for a draw or hope to nick a winner on the break and we have to find a way to counter that. A pacey winger who plays the simple cross early would make a difference. I also think we'll do better on the road if the home teams are more prepared to give it a go in front of their own fans.

Disappointing, yes. But Pardew knows the problem and has said he will be bringing in (the right) players when they are available on suitable terms. No need to panic yet.

As somebody said earlier, Pard's job is in no more jeopardy than any of the other 91 managers (or it shouldn't be if it is). If we go on like this then he'll have to go as would anybody else in that position. But it's not going to go on like this.

I was very apprehensive just before the season start, seeing the exodus of players and the very few (average quality) players that came in. It looked to me that the team was significantly weakened over the summer. I was right,

Why are we so spineless when we concede a goal? Who are the leaders out there ffs? Why is Pardew so clueless about how to use substitutes or alter the tactics to change a game? When are we going to sign Antonio, and if we're not - what is the plan to break down sides who park the bus for a draw? How much longer are we going to carry Hammond? We already have one walking pace/sideways crabbing water carrying midfielder in Schneiderlin and can't afford another lifeless deadhand alongside him. Can Barnard hit a cows ass with a banjo? If we can't answer these questions we are walking into a very disappointing season.

Lol! ^

Couldn't go today and had to listen on Saints Player. Commentary suggested we were best side in 1st half but not in the second. Five points dropped out of 6 will not be what Pardew expected. Merrington was commenting on lack of attacks down the wings and that crosses were diaganol from too far back andf thaat we weren't troubling their back four. That sounds like a need for more quality on the pitch rather than anything wrong with tactics. If your players can't get past the defenders enough times during the game you have to question whether your players are good enough. Maybe with Lallana, its still fitness but did other weaknesses show? Be interested when people who were there start posting.

My hope is that this will strengthen Pardew's hand in talking to Cortese about the transfer budget.

I support Pardew but the crossing situation is a tactical issue as we insist on playing a left footer on the right and vice versa - this means they have to cut inside rather than getting to the byeline. This was an issue last season and i had hoped we would have sorted it out for this season. No excuse for the full backs not getting to the byeline as they are on their favoured side but they still seem to cross from 20yds in which makes it easier to defend.

I am worried that the coaching staff can't see this basic error in setup and resolve it.

Here's my comments, without even being at the game. Tell me if I'm wrong.

1 We need to teach Jaidi to pass short

2 Puncheon is a great....backup to Lallana

3 We need a creative midfielder

4 We need a winger with pace who can also be direct

5 Hammond has lost his way

6 WE NEED A PLAN B!!

Last years stats for us in league 1 show we did much better when he played than when he didn't

I don't think many will question Jaidi's fine contribution to our defence last season . Unfortunately he picked up a injury at the tail end of that season and to be brutally frank this season he looks like a different player altogether .

Last years stats for us in league 1 show we did much better when he played than when he didn't

Hopefully he will start playing and therefore the team will start ticking over with the right results.

Most games I have seen him play...he is a lost soul.

But there you go....I believe we need a player like O'Connor of Sheff Wed...An Alan Ball type to battle with the opposition

and not what we have in this league.

I am one of Jaidis biggest fans but he was very poor today. A few players out there didn't look interested - Butterfield in particular.

really! Butterfield looked very good yesterday made a couple of sloppy passes in the secondhalf but overall very calm and composed in defence excellent addition to the squad its nice to have a proper rightback at last.

One problem in the team seems to be that some players - yesterday it was Fonte and Butterfield in particular - are covering for others - Hammond and Puncheon - who have got another agenda. Not sure what Hammond's is, but Puncheon's seems to be to use any and every opportunity to showboat and/or run with the ball. Only came off once yesterday, chipping the ball over the sliding Orient player, but that didn't make up for the hundreds of other times he ****ed it up.

This kind of thing really is Pardew's lookout - it's up to him to discipline the players and get them working together as a unit. If he *has* to have Puncheon on the pitch, then he could do worse than to stick to his decision for the last ten minutes and have him in the middle with Alex O-C on the wing.

just asking for some patience from everybody

2 games in and all the negative posters come out from under their rocks, that includes you

If you want patience mate your in the wrong place...

2 games in and it`s all doom and gloom....

no chance of turning it around as we only have 44

games left,its too late now don`t you realise that the ridiculous expectation is

for us to win EVERY GAME.:rolleyes:

Yawn yawn.....same old same old

I reckon if we got another manager in we would win every game.......................no i don`t either...

One problem in the team seems to be that some players - yesterday it was Fonte and Butterfield in particular - are covering for others - Hammond and Puncheon - who have got another agenda. Not sure what Hammond's is, but Puncheon's seems to be to use any and every opportunity to showboat and/or run with the ball. Only came off once yesterday, chipping the ball over the sliding Orient player, but that didn't make up for the hundreds of other times he ****ed it up.

This kind of thing really is Pardew's lookout - it's up to him to discipline the players and get them working together as a unit. If he *has* to have Puncheon on the pitch, then he could do worse than to stick to his decision for the last ten minutes and have him in the middle with Alex O-C on the wing.

Possibly we are seeing psychology at work here.

Everyone knows we need a new CM. Most are saying they want a permanent signing not a loan (for that position).

MS is still young and is still improving, Hammond is not a word beater (except sometimes compared to Wotton) but he did have a decent season last year and we did miss him when he was out.

And yet now he sits there getting motivated for the game knowing that in a week or two he's going to be relegated to "the bench" for the rest of the season when we bring in a better CM.

Must be galling to know you're not considered good enough, no matter HOW professional you are and how much "fighting for your place" is talked about

6 WE NEED A PLAN B!!

You are correct......only thing is I wouldnt use the words great and Puncheon in the same sentence.

He is a backup to Lallana !

If you want patience mate your in the wrong place...

2 games in and it`s all doom and gloom....

no chance of turning it around as we only have 44

games left,its too late now don`t you realise that the ridiculous expectation is

for us to win EVERY GAME.:rolleyes:

Yawn yawn.....same old same old

I reckon if we got another manager in we would win every game.......................no i don`t either...

Not expecting us to win every game - just A game would be nice for a start

6 WE NEED A PLAN B!!

I was at the game and I agree with you !

cant believe the stick Punch is getting, one of the better players yesterday, especially 1st half, along with Barnard. Hammond was well off his game though. Jaidi clearly tired in the 2nd half, passing (or lack of) showed. Lambert and Adam not fit.

In short, we need 2 or 3 more players, but AP knows this.

Maybe, but there are different ways of dealing with it: Butterfield is 2nd choice right back to many on here, but he seems to be working hard still. Harding, bless him, doesn't look like he's going to hand his place over to Dickson any time soon, which is what many expected. Jaidi, on the other hand, looks like he can't wait to be replaced by Seabourne or Martin....

Hammond is team captain, which - you would have thought - would give him some sense of belonging and a reason to expect serious consideration every match.