Southampton 1 - 1 Leyton Orient - Post match reaction

Baj

1st 10 mins looked like a 5-0 home winning coming at least , Lambert was winning everything , Barnard was sharp , as soon as the equalised we went in to limp mode , urgency went , looked very one pace through out the team .

2nd half started like the 1st half ended , no pace whatsoever in the team , we had chances to break quick , but decided to either play a square ball , or a long ball that never went to a saints head . Lambert became the invisible man in the 2nd half , lallanna looked off the pace , everything he tried didnt come off , no subs till 10 mins to go , far to late to have any impact , unless we buy a couple of very quick wingers to inject some pace into the side its going to be a very long season . There is no excuses if we cant beat a team like Orient at home it doesnt look great . We all know how tough this league is to get out of look how long it took Leeds to get out . Signings required , Quality with pace . probably 3 players required and quick .

Agree with everything you say except at this rate it wont be a long season, it will be a short one !

Result at this stage are less important than performances. in two games we've created enough chances to win three, Barnard hit the post twice, Lambert looked lively despite being less than fully match fit.

Yes it's not a good start and I'm disappointed but we should easily make the points up over the season.

N'arch got tanked first game out last season and they won the league.

The league is neither won nor lost two games into the season so no time to panic... not that I expect the serial miserablists to take any heed of that.

We'll still get promoted this season

I cannot understand why Christmas is such an iconic time point? IF AP is not good enough he should be replaced much sooner than Christmas - by then it is too late anyway this season so might as well not bother changing. After all, according to AP you need all of pre season to stand a chance of going up with a team so taking over at Christmas is a total waste of time ?????? And he knows his stuff ????

Didnt sunderland go on a charge after xmas a few years back to get promoted?

XMAS is a good marker as by then you can look at averages and see which way things are heading. If NC makes a decision Pards will need more than Santa to change his mind however.

I think he needs more than 2 games to attempt to correct the problems and give the team a chance to improve there finishing. We could have been 4 up by half time with a bit of luck and betting finishing and this board would have been a much happier place. lol

Didnt sunderland go on a charge after xmas a few years back to get promoted?

XMAS is a good marker as by then you can look at averages and see which way things are heading. If NC makes a decision Pards will need more than Santa to change his mind however.

I think he needs more than 2 games to attempt to correct the problems and give the team a chance to improve there finishing. We could have been 4 up by half time with a bit of luck and betting finishing and this board would have been a much happier place. lol

roy keane came in after 3 games at sunderland......lambert came in at norwich after one game and got promoted...

Result at this stage are less important than performances. in two games we've created enough chances to win three, Barnard hit the post twice, Lambert looked lively despite being less than fully match fit.

Yes it's not a good start and I'm disappointed but we should easily make the points up over the season.

The league is neither won nor lost two games into the season so no time to panic... not that I expect the serial miserablists to take any heed of that.

I admire your optimism.

Here's hoping, eh.

For that tag alone you should get the :lilsmileyapplaudyemotethingymebob:

lol

On another day could have been 5-1. Barnard hit 3 cracking shots and hit bar with header. Im not panicking, hopefully we add depth to the squad during rest of window and wins will follow soon.

Jaidi has lost the plot though.

other than a few ropey left foot punts, he did nothing wrong?!

Just on way home now.

How we didn't win that i will never know. We basically dominated from start to finish and had chance after chance, hit the post a couple of times. On another day that would of been a 5-0 beating.

People thinking the result is somehow Pardews fault must be having a laugh. Nearly all the players missed golden chances including Barnard and Lambert. How you can blame a manager for the players not taking their chances is beyond me. Just looking at the bbc stats page and said we had 17 chances compared to their 5. Says it all.

We should be beating teams like this yes. But we didn't play bad and we deserved to win. Personally i think we are missing these chances due to lack of games and putting pressure on ourselves.

That said we still need some pace and some more creativity in the team. We took of a midfielder and went more attacking which was all good and all but we just couldn't get a proper pass/cross into the box. A proper attacking midfielder is desperatly needed. Morgan is a good player but we lack a guy to take his place when he is playing bad. If Morgan is playing bad then as a team i think thinks get harder. We also need a fast winger i.e Antonio. If we don't get those players in then these results will become more frequent. The question is will Pardew be allowed to bring them in?

roy keane came in after 3 games at sunderland......lambert came in at norwich after one game and got promoted...

But we are then back to who would come in at the level Pards should be or better?

I pressume we would be looking for a manager that would not only get us out of league 1 but also take us to the prem, further than that it may be a toss up between keeping that manager or getting a decent manager for the top level but setting prioritys and all that....

So what top half championship level managers would we look for that have there team playing the fast passing attractive attacking football that Markus wanted to see?

IMO there isnt much to choose from so we could frustratingly be stuck with Pards as long as the team fail to put away there chances.

It seemed to me that we really lack pace and imagination. Connolly and Chamberlain are the only impact options from the bench and while they both have merit, they aren't really impact players.

Barnard was probably MOTM and was a bit unlucky not to score, but I think we only managed two shots on target in the second half. That is not good enough against a team as poor as Leyton Orient.

At the moment, we don't look like a top six team, let alone champions.

I don't think we can wait until Xmas before making changes.

If the next couple of league games do not show a remarkable improvement, we need a change at the top.

Major issue for me is whether we want a putative new manager to have time to act in this transfer window.

I am starting to believe that AP's reign is not going to last much longer and is not going to end happily, but I hope he can prove me wrong in the next match.

But we are then back to who would come in at the level Pards should be or better?

I pressume we would be looking for a manager that would not only get us out of league 1 but also take us to the prem, further than that it may be a toss up between keeping that manager or getting a decent manager for the top level but setting prioritys and all that....

So what top half championship level managers would we look for that have there team playing the fast passing attractive attacking football that Markus wanted to see?

IMO there isnt much to choose from so we could frustratingly be stuck with Pards as long as the team fail to put away there chances.

why do we have to look at top half managers in the CCC..? (if we even are looking)

maybe a manager could make his name here at saints..?

who at the start of last season would have welcomed danny wilson..? probably no one...or even ian holloway..again, no one...

howe at the cherries has done remarkable....plays great football..

again...not that I want pardew gone...just saying like

Pretty poor stuff. Overall, a dreadful game of football. I am beginning to think there is something is wrong on the management side. It's not the result, it's the performances. The team look unmotivated and guileless. There needs to be a dramatic improvement and fast.

Bobby, very good summary of a very poor performance. It reminded me of that Fairy Story, Brothers Grimm. It really was poor.

I wonder, are we the 'New' Wimbledon? Keeper punts up to Lambert, CH heads back to keeper, keeper punts up to Lam...............

Puncheon was absolute dump. We are missing Antonio/Waigo big time. We were unlucky in the first half, keeper has pulled off some good saves. Barnard worked very hard. Thought Jadhi was off form as well, needless hoofing.

Still, not panicking, Lambert's off the mark and let's hope 3 points next week.

Didn't go to the game so can't really comment on individual players, but from the commentary Saints just sound very unprofessional.

No wins can be taken for granted but Saints appear to have shot themselves in the foot in this match against a very ordinary team who came looking for a draw.

I feel like I have been robbed. I went full of anticipation and faith but was badly let down

For long parts of the game we lacked width.

For long parts of the game we lacked a tactical awareness.

For long parts of the game we lacked control and passing when we had the ball.

Some points

– Puncheon just does not have what is required. I have watched him enough times. His thinking is too slow and is too often forced to hit the ball at the defender rather than a telling pass.

- Schneiderlin is taking money under false pretences. Clearly gifted but he is playing in his comfort zone too much. Side passes when he gets the ball is not what he should be about.

- Hammond is just not good enough for this team. We need to find a replacement. Hopefully Saints are on to this.

- Butterfield was our best player in my opinion. Tactically aware, compact in play and very good at crossing.

It is still early in the season BUT we cannot afford to leave it too late. By that I mean we must replace Pardew, and now. Go get Eddie Howe Mr Cortese, and quick

Edited by Weston Saint
Spelt Butterfield wrong

why do we have to look at top half managers in the CCC..? (if we even are looking)

maybe a manager could make his name here at saints..?

who at the start of last season would have welcomed danny wilson..? probably no one...or even ian holloway..again, no one...

howe at the cherries has done remarkable....plays great football..

again...not that I want pardew gone...just saying like

I see what your saying as the right choice doesnt necisarily need to be a top name, or someone who has been successful elsewhere. WGS and Hoddle were not the fans choice but they did well enough. Gray, Wigley, Rednapp and the Dutch clowns did not however. I know Lowe was the reason behind all the wronguns but plenty of other clubs make decissions that work or dont work out.

My main gripe about Pards is the fact that the team still seems week when defending set pieces which is something that as a manager he should be working on training to sort these problems out. A good manager would not take over a season to fix the same problem. And like others have said, waiting till 80 mins to change things to me seems 10 mins too late.

On paper the team he picks is not far off what most of us would probably pick and when the team play well it shows how there practice is doing some good so to change the manager IMO would have to be in order to improve where Pards is lacking.

I just cant see a list of managers that would or could be doing better which is why its so frustrating. Enough is happening to make me think he is worth sticking with but little things are making me think we would be better off with someone else.

It is still early in the season BUT we cannot afford to leave it too late. By that I mean we must replace Pardew, and now. Go get Eddie Howe Mr Cortese, and quick

wowzers....

you really feel that..?

good shout on the howe suggestion..he has done near on the impossible at the cherries..and still continues to do so

feeling pretty miserable after that to be honest, as many have said we lack pace and creativity at the moment. Also because Jaidi is so slow (and a liability on the ball) we play far too deep in defence. I also think we seriously lack a cutting edge, and the some of the players (barnard and puncheon for a start lack fitness and desire).

Last season i was a massive supporter of Pardew but i'm starting to question him, his tactics seem wrong and the changes are made too late in the game to have any real effect. Also the fitness and desire problem has to sit at his door too, personally i think we need to make a real change to our formation for the next game, we always looked more potent with five in the midfield, one sitting just behind the striker, last season.

As for those saying that people are being wrist slitters or overly melodramatic i think we're right to be. There's no excuses this season we have to go up, which means winning convincingly and anything less than that should be held to rights even if it means a change of manager early.

I feel like I have been robbed. I went full of anticipation and faith but was badly let down

For long parts of the game we lacked width.

For long parts of the game we lacked a tactical awareness.

For long parts of the game we lacked control and passing when we had the ball.

Some points

– Puncheon just does not have what is required. I have watched him enough times. His thinking is too slow and is too often forced to hit the ball at the defender rather than a telling pass.

- Schneiderlin is taking money under false pretences. Clearly gifted but he is playing in his comfort zone too much. Side passes when he gets the ball is not what he should be about.

- Hammond is just not good enough for this team. We need to find a replacement. Hopefully Saints are on to this.

- Butterworth was our best player in my opinion. Tactically aware, compact in play and very good at crossing.

I thought punchon was as good as anyone. He was playing them on his own at times. Morgan is certainly not the problem. Hammond is. What does he actually do? Lambert didnt look fit at all which was a surprise as he only had a groin strain. Lallana off the pace. Times running out of pardew. We should have had 3 players by now. Hammond replacement, winger and another big centre forward.

We need a CM badly.

The amount of times MS got the ball in the middle of the park with space to drive on into the box, or to ride a challenge and slot in Lambert/Barnard but instead he turned sideways and played it out to Puncheon who ran out of ideas after the first 5 minutes. Let him sit back and do the stuff he does well, and bring someone in who will support the strikers through the middle. Because we look lost when we can't exploit the wings like we want to.

Not sure Jaidi's legs will last the season either, he looks fooked after 60 minutes.

We have a manager who is tactically clueless.

Sorry, but when Cortese gets fed up I won't be moaning about another manager not working out with us, he has had £4m to spend and we can't even start a season strongly. Two home games, 1 point = Not good enough.

Jaidi, Butterfield, Puncheon, Hammond were all terrible today.

Very concerned about this season now.

Let's not excuse this team based on standards that have gotten us nowhere.

The last time we were promoted we won four and drew one out of seven before October came round. We did slightly better in 83-84

meant to quote this

Notoriously slow starting Saints stumble to a lucky draw..........nothing is new!! Saints NEVER start the season in August.....its always October before they realise they are meant to play!!

1st 10 mins looked like a 5-0 home winning coming at least , Lambert was winning everything , Barnard was sharp , as soon as the equalised we went in to limp mode , urgency went , looked very one pace through out the team .

2nd half started like the 1st half ended , no pace whatsoever in the team , we had chances to break quick , but decided to either play a square ball , or a long ball that never went to a saints head . Lambert became the invisible man in the 2nd half , lallanna looked off the pace , everything he tried didnt come off , no subs till 10 mins to go , far to late to have any impact , unless we buy a couple of very quick wingers to inject some pace into the side its going to be a very long season . There is no excuses if we cant beat a team like Orient at home it doesnt look great . We all know how tough this league is to get out of look how long it took Leeds to get out . Signings required , Quality with pace . probably 3 players required and quick .

This!

2 players will do me tho.

Changing the manager is not what we need. Ridiculous two games in. Couple of new additions is what we do need to break teams like Orient down when we are running out of ideas. It happened last season and it happened again today.

First half we were good today and should have had a couple more, would have been game over. But once again we didn't put our chances away and were punished.

Not a fan of Butterfield, not a first team regular, the sooner Richardson get's fit, the better. Jaidi awful today aswell, lump it anywhere. First half we looked decent, but didn't show up in the second. Harding should have had one, Barnard hits the woodwork twice and two great saves by their keeper deny us. It's not the end of the world but we need a couple more players and to convert these chances!!

Still trying to work out exactly what Dean Hammond offers?

Hmm yes I have always thought that to a certain extent, but he is a hard fighting midfielder.

There seems to be a lot of negatives concerning Puncheon, yet he has always impressed me when I have watched him. Is this backlash from his behaviour at the memorial or is he genuinely ****?

Really should have burried them easily. Hugely outplayed them up until the equaliser and then seemed to go into headless chicken mode. We stopped the incisive passing moves with Puncheon deciding to take 3 touches when a quick pass would have been better. The rest of the midfield seemed to not want to go forward at times. I would question fitness to an extent Lambert was having to stretch out cramp after about 60 mins. Also bit concerned about Butterfield if Richardson is going to be out much longer, general lack of pace and was getting skinned for fun by their number 16.

Overall we appear to be playing quite well but nerves are clearly playing a part in things. If it helps them just let the little dears know we are no longer nailed on Faves for the league! maybe that'll help ;-)

The weight of expectation was always going to cause immense pressure and IMO this will be our downfall,this will be more of a millstone around our neck than the -10 was last season and there aren't too many managers out there who can live with pressure.

A change of manager is probably not the answer but I've got a feeling it could be NC's solution.

Whatever happens it is out of our hands and probably a good idea it is judging by some of the reactions on here.

I see what your saying as the right choice doesnt necisarily need to be a top name, or someone who has been successful elsewhere. WGS and Hoddle were not the fans choice but they did well enough. Gray, Wigley, Rednapp and the Dutch clowns did not however. I know Lowe was the reason behind all the wronguns but plenty of other clubs make decissions that work or dont work out.

My main gripe about Pards is the fact that the team still seems week when defending set pieces which is something that as a manager he should be working on training to sort these problems out. A good manager would not take over a season to fix the same problem. And like others have said, waiting till 80 mins to change things to me seems 10 mins too late.

On paper the team he picks is not far off what most of us would probably pick and when the team play well it shows how there practice is doing some good so to change the manager IMO would have to be in order to improve where Pards is lacking.

I just cant see a list of managers that would or could be doing better which is why its so frustrating. Enough is happening to make me think he is worth sticking with but little things are making me think we would be better off with someone else.

Good point. Hoddle would have done the job second time round, he was the MAJORITY OF fans choice !

This is just totally p!ss poor crap. Don't want to hear any 'early doors no need to panic ******'. This team has had more spent on it in the last year than virtually the whole of the rest of the division put together and yet we still can't beat a complete no mark team like Leyton at home. Not calling for anyone's head, don't normally bother to post, but I am getting seriously p1ssed off with game after game, season after season disappointment.

Listening to the game my thoughts

Jaidi & Fonte didn't seem to be able to work the ball out from defence properly... Is Jaidi now really just for those days when we need a hoofing lump? Possibly

Two players making first starts of the season, we start brightly and then run out of steam. yep well that's what tends to happen when players aren't match fit, and of course the back up players on the bench aren't cover for AL & RL.

Sounded grim if Weston Saint posts like that, but I'll still wait for the new signings.

Any word yet on who the player and agent were behind the Solent crew?