Why are we so crap at the beginning of the season..?

Thedelldays

an away draw at Wycombe (away draws pretty much what you need to get promoted)

which came after - winning 7 out of last 12 league games, and in 3 games before we beat Norwich, got to final of JPT and played well against prem skates - fair criticism or criticising as soon as you can?

An away draw at Wycombe that we were favourites to win and where the two points dropped may just have placed the 6th place club under extra pressure in the run in.

I'm with Alps on the being critical about not winning games we should. I am not happy that we cannot break down parked buses (BUT not many teams at the highest level actually can either otherwise noboddy would do it - example - The World Cup)

Alps is right. IMHO he puts his opinion across wrong wrong wrong. (As in I think he'd make more sense making his point after a dozen happy pills and with more irony and smiles) but then hell, he ain't me and he ain't anyone else (thank fook)

BUT his point is we have a tactical failing. I agree with that.

BUT I do NOT think the failing is down to Pardew ALONE.

Our players are LEAGUE ONE standard - sure the better ones in League one but THEY AIN'T PLAYING IN THE PL for a reason. Either they ain't that gifted OR they ain't THAT bright.

The TEAM and the Manager are at fault. AP has told us he is not happy with the squad. All of us have seen we need a Papa/Antonio to change things and we need yawn...

The only difference I have is that the club have told me they know what they want (it WASN'T in AP's notes in the Reading Programme it was a fecking CLUB statement) so BECAUSE this is a new world I will do what I am told - WAIT.

IF the club brings in a player who could have been in Serie A (and others) will all those saying AP should go because .... APOLOGISE? Will they feck.

The TEAM and AP are to blame. Lambert - faded - we didn't break down Orient. Sack AP.

FFS Lambert had an INJURY and it was his FIRST 90 minutes. Of COURE he faded. Of COURSE we had no Plan B - BECAUSE WE HAVEN'T SIGNED THE COVER FOR LAMBERT YET

An away draw at Wycombe that we were favourites to win and where the two points dropped may just have placed the 6th place club under extra pressure in the run in.

I'm with Alps on the being critical about not winning games we should. I am not happy that we cannot break down parked buses (BUT not many teams at the highest level actually can either otherwise noboddy would do it - example - The World Cup)

Alps is right. IMHO he puts his opinion across wrong wrong wrong. (As in I think he'd make more sense making his point after a dozen happy pills and with more irony and smiles) but then hell, he ain't me and he ain't anyone else (thank fook)

Our players are LEAGUE ONE standard - sure the better ones in League one but THEY AIN'T PLAYING IN THE PL for a reason. Either they ain't that gifted OR they ain't THAT bright.

The TEAM and the Manager are at fault. AP has told us he is not happy with the squad. All of us have seen we need a Papa/Antonio to change things and we need yawn...

The only difference I have is that the club have told me they know what they want (it WASN'T in AP's notes in the Reading Programme it was a fecking CLUB statement) so BECAUSE this is a new world I will do what I am told - WAIT.

IF the club brings in a player who could have been in Serie A (and others) will all those saying AP should go because .... APOLOGISE? Will they feck.

The TEAM and AP are to blame. Lambert - faded - we didn't break down Orient. Sack AP.

FFS Lambert had an INJURY and it was his FIRST 90 minutes. Of COURE he faded. Of COURSE we had no Plan B - BECAUSE WE HAVEN'T SIGNED THE COVER FOR LAMBERT YET

Have you had a few drinkies ??

gutted every time I leave a ground when we haven't won.

equally would never expect us to win every game and look for scape goats.

Have you had a few drinkies ??

Nah, it's Ramadan mate.

Just suffering from a stuck in this town when everyone else managed to find a way to get the feck out syndrome.

But I DO agree with you on the tactics and transfers stuff.

Just I tend to believe what the club have been saying and don't think we have yet accepted we're watching L1 quality players.

Daft I know, but I do believe that NC has been working to one hell of a good business plan and ain't about to change now

Oh and I was also wondering whether the Mancs had a load of threads going demanding that Ferguson gets sacked since they haven't scored 6 goals yet in a PL game this season

And wondering about the marches and dissent against the Board and the demands that Doug Ellis gets re-instated at Villa

an away draw at Wycombe (away draws pretty much what you need to get promoted)

which came after - winning 7 out of last 12 league games, and in 3 games before we beat Norwich, got to final of JPT and played well against prem skates - fair criticism or criticising as soon as you can?

Fair criticism - it was Wycombe.

There must be an underlying reason to it, pre-season ideals? I cant see why myself, but it seems to the culture at the club. The last time we won on the opening day was against Coventry in 1999.

Furthermore I seem to remember it was about 10 years since we last won on the first day when we won way back then as well!

and Coventry were really sh;t that day.

fair enough, but if you are up in arms at one away draw when team is performing very well then will take your criticism with a pinch of salt, and sympathise with you as you won't get much enjoyment from saints.

When you have supposedly the best team in L1, the most expensive team in L1, you have last years top marksman and player of the season in L1, owned by a wealthy owner with no debt, managed by an ex premiership manager, and no -10 to blame or hinder, isn't it natural to expect this team to set off like a f*cking steam train?

I dont care if teams are gonna come down here and plug the defence, I don't care if we always start slow, I don't care if AP and NC are waiting to the last minute to make purchases and don't want sellers taking the p*ss because we are wealthy. I don't want to hear any more excuses, we have had f*cking years of hearing excuses.

I just want this team to live up to its potential for once and to start as it means to go on and give us a team to be proud of. Not much to ask is it!

With a track record like ours you really have to question pre season at SFC, the whole point is to get the 1st team fit, gelled and ready to go yet we never seem to be anywhere near the required standard.

I always got the whiff that this Swiss trip was a bit of a jolly to big up the players but wasn't really what they needed i.e. a set of fixtures in increasing difficulty that got the team ready fighting fit and match ready for the long slog ahead.

I guess you could come up with excuses in years gone by but not now - no excuses whatsoever. It whiffs of a lack of professionalism\desire to me.

On the plus side it's only 2 games and there is a long way to go BUT why do we have to instantaneously put pressure on ourselves when its a hard enough task as it is.

When you have supposedly the best team in L1, the most expensive team in L1, you have last years top marksman and player of the season in L1, owned by a wealthy owner with no debt, managed by an ex premiership manager, and no -10 to blame or hinder, isn't it natural to expect this team to set off like a f*cking steam train?

I dont care if teams are gonna come down here and plug the defence, I don't care if we always start slow, I don't care if AP and NC are waiting to the last minute to make purchases and don't want sellers taking the p*ss because we are wealthy. I don't want to hear any more excuses, we have had f*cking years of hearing excuses.

I just want this team to live up to its potential for once and to start as it means to go on and give us a team to be proud of. Not much to ask is it!

Nope.

(Superb post, btw)

This

Amen to all of that. There's no doubt that the current squad should have been perfectly capable of roaring out of the blocks, to be ably assisted and improved by 2 or 3 more signings by the close of the transfer window. There's just no excuses for 1 point from 6, it's an under-par start by any yardstick, and the fact that we're notoriously slow starters is completely irrelevant as this is an entirely different club setup now.

We really need to kick into gear in the league right away. Personally I couldn't give a toss about the cup game tomorrow and would give the first team a rest away from game duty to ramp up the preparation in training to get it spot on for the weekend league game.

It's the fans fault?

I think it is my fault :blush:

I am normally back in the Uk for the start of the season and barely ever see a win - I probably won't be able to see another game whilst I'm still in England, but expect a marked improvement after Sept 13th when I leave these shores for sunnier climes!!

I was at the Coventry match when we last won though!!

Put this up in lights and stick it on the front of SMS. It's where we are folks.

I can't put my finger on why we've had 20+ years of ****e starts to the season, but I sure as hell am bloody sick to death of it!

In the past some of the pre-season preparation and friendlies have undoubtedly been substandard, but this season I'm not sure.

I'm bored of the "We Should Have Won", "Barnard Was Unlucky", "We're Feeling The Pressure", "They had 11 men behind the ball and made it hard for us" guff that we're hearing already, and we've only had two games!

I'd like to see the team step up and win some games like they're paid too, no more excuses please!