Astravan Electrics Advice needed

RonManager

Got back from North Wales on Wednesday in the trusty Ronmobile (Vauxhall Diesel Astravan, 03 reg, 99K on the clock) after having done about 500 miles, no problems. Used the van on Thursday afternoon briefly around town. Got some stuff out of the van on Friday lunchtime using the electronic key to unlock the doors but didn't go anywhere.

Saturday morning - go to get in the van to go to the match, using the key again as per usual, but no response from the van ie doors don't unlock, lights don't flash. Get in the van and all is dead electronically.

First problem I've had with it in 3 years and 30k miles.

I won't be able to check the battery until tomorrow when I can get hold of a charger, but it all seems a bit sudden for charge leaking off etc.

Fuses?

Any ideas?

Also, this meant I had to get the train to Southampton from Taunton instead of Yeovil Junction. Every time I did this last season we failed to win at home, yet every time I caught the train from Yeovil, we not only didn't lose, but won. So yesterday's result is, I'm afraid, my fault.

Sorry. :scared:

Edited by RonManager

If its diesel remember that diesel vehicles don't need a charged battery to run, so if its knackered or the alternator wasn't charging it then there may have been just enough juice to unlock and lock the doors but not to turn the starter over. Halfords used to sell a little thing that attached to the battery and would tell you if the battery was knackered or if the car was running if the alternator was charging.

I am no mechanic but I would try and jump it off another car.

If it was the battery you may have got a bit of a warning that it was on the way out. If it starts, run it for 10 minutes and then try and start it. Chances are you have left the lights on or something and it has drained the battery.

What you may find is by emptying the battery you have knackered it and will need to replace.

Easiest way to tell is use a multi-meter across the two terminals to check alternator and battery. You are aiming for 14.4v on a good battery.You can also use the multimeter to check battery drain.

Im no mechanic either, but I used to have a Peugeot 406 which had a wiring fault caused by water leaking into the car (never did find exactly where problem was) which caused an intermittent drain on the battery. Sometimes the car would start fine after 10 days sometimes dead within 48 hours. Either that on what Swanny said about the alternator.

Can't start a new thread, so adding to this one :)

I'm looking for a spare 3 button remote key with blank key - for a citroen C4.

I have a mechanic who can program the remote for me, and I guess most key cutters will cut the blank key to fit, but I've searched for hours on the innernetz and can't find one - well not strictly true, there are a few on fleabay, but I refuse to use that awful site so that is a no go...

So, does anyone have any useful sites where I might be able to purchase such an item?

Can't start a new thread, so adding to this one :)

I'm looking for a spare 3 button remote key with blank key - for a citroen C4.

I have a mechanic who can program the remote for me, and I guess most key cutters will cut the blank key to fit, but I've searched for hours on the innernetz and can't find one - well not strictly true, there are a few on fleabay, but I refuse to use that awful site so that is a no go...

So, does anyone have any useful sites where I might be able to purchase such an item?

There are a number of sites that will search scrap yards for the part you need - the yard will then contact you direct. This is one of the biger ones

http://www.1stchoice.co.uk/

I'd say for convienience sake get over your eBay 'thing' and just buy one from there.

Not gonna happen :)

Bunch of thieving barstewards selling fake goods!

Found a Chinese supplier on 'Alibaba' who wants £35 for key and delivery, only problem they want payment by Paypal - an Ebay owned thieving company - so unless they are flexible on payment options, still gonna need another option.

Not gonna happen :)

Bunch of thieving barstewards selling fake goods!

Found a Chinese supplier on 'Alibaba' who wants £35 for key and delivery, only problem they want payment by Paypal - an Ebay owned thieving company - so unless they are flexible on payment options, still gonna need another option.

eBay don't sell anything apart from a service as far as i know, aren't you cutting off your nose to spite your face?