Arcade Fire

SuperMikey

Playing live at Madison Square Garden tonight, it's being streamed on YouTube from 3am. I'm actually going to stay up and watch it, and if you're reading this now before 3am, I suggest you do as well. They're phenomally good live, and their new album is a cracker.

Anyone else seen them live before? It's a shame they gig so infrequently around these parts, their set at Reading may be the last we see of them in the UK for a while unfortunately :cry:

Apparently they had a tiny crowd bpsaint, only about 5k?

Yeah the crowd was embarrasingly small for them. I'd put that down to 1. The 95% chav crowd not being interested 2. Fatboy Slim was on the other stage 3. It was absolutely ****ing it down,wouldn't suprise me if most people were ****ing it up back at the tent.

and their new album is a cracker.

It's no Funeral or to lesser extent NEon Bible. Growing on me after a few listens but was hoping for better.

They were on the Daily Show last night. I didn't realise how massive the frontman Win Butler is, as he stood next to Jon Stewart. Also looks just like Rik Mayall.

Edited by LVSaint

Your opinion of course, but I think they're one of the best bands of the 21st century, if not the best. If we're talking guitar music, the styles have changed but the quality is still there.

60s - The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Beach Boys, The Who

70s - Led Zeppelin, Sex Pistols, Pink Floyd, AC/DC

80s - The Smiths, Queen, U2, Bruce Springsteen

90s - Nirvana, Blur, Oasis, Radiohead, Rage Against The Machine

00s - The Libertines, Arcade Fire, Bloc Party, The Strokes

10s - ?

• 2 weeks later...

Saw them at Leeds on Friday.

Mindblowing, truly sensational. Still not totally over their set. Just wow. I know I said this earlier in the week about The Libertines gig, but that was the most incredible show I have ever seen.

Just wow.

They were really on form weren't they? What was your highlight? Crown of Love and Power Out were my favourites, and of course Wake Up at the end. Apparently the Leeds crowd weren't that great, I didn't think the Reading one was that good either, but watching it back it seems that more people were into it than I thought at the time.

the love this band get, symbolises how far guitar music has sunk in the last 20 years. 'flip-chart indie' of the lowest order. Please someone bury these cretins n the nearest 'indie land-fill' site. It's jo wiley rock

yeah, i'd much rather listen to oasis. listen to 'Funeral' properly ffs.

Your opinion of course, but I think they're one of the best bands of the 21st century, if not the best. If we're talking guitar music, the styles have changed but the quality is still there.

60s - The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Beach Boys, The Who

70s - Led Zeppelin, Sex Pistols, Pink Floyd, AC/DC

80s - The Smiths, Queen, U2, Bruce Springsteen

90s - Nirvana, Blur, Oasis, Radiohead, Rage Against The Machine

00s - The Libertines, Arcade Fire, Bloc Party, The Strokes

10s - ?

Dear God, if this is the list for the 00s, what a **** decade it's been.

The Suburbs has to be the most disappointing album of 2010. Arcade Fire have been, so unbelievably bad since the incredible 'Funeral'.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. I have loved all three albums.

They are not merely a guitar band and to picture them as such is a misinterpretation. They are an ensemble of extremely talented musicians producing music that transcends any one genre.

Oh and SuperMikey, yes they really were on fantastic form. It was truly moving to see such an amazing musical and visual performance. My personal highlights were Haiti, Sprawl II and Keep The Car Running - and yes of course Wake Up.

Still not totally over how incredible they were.

Will certainly be watching that in the near future. Watched the highlights of them from Reading the other day.

Still incredible.

They have this ability to make me gush uncontrollably - much to the annoyance of my housemate. She's going to have to deal with that for just a little bit longer I think.

I have also convinced myself they are going to headline Glasto next year. What an amazing spectacle that would be!

Cheers for the link.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Bump!

Recently got into this band. Definitely not something you'll get onto on the first play, but have listened to all three albums.

Of all of them, The Suburbs is the best.

However, all of their albums are amazing, Listen to them in order, pore over their sounds, and wonder, really wonder, if anyone else is doing anything like this with such a degree of craftmanship.

You should get the EP they released before 'Funeral' in 2005. It features the original version of 'No Cars Go' (not entirely different from the Neon Bible version aside from production) as well as one of my favourite AF tracks: 'I'm Sleeping In A Submarine'. The EP is called 'Arcade Fire EP' but it's been dubbed by fans as the 'Us Kids Know' EP.

Happy listening!

(You've driven me to put 'Funeral' on my iPod now, damn you! I'll have to listen to the whole thing now...)

I have tickets for Hyde park. Mumford & sons, Beirut and the Vaccines are supporting so I hear.

Funeral is a far far better record than Suburbs. FACT.

Arcade Fire fight!

I love Funeral. Really do. Had it on constant rotation for ages. However, it has barely got a look in recently.

Btw, not saying you're wrong. Music is a highly subjective thing.

Personally, I love the range on Suburbs. And the little reprise at the end is genius - makes me want to start it all over again, and I often do.

Edited by pap

• 2 years later...

BUMP!!

BAHHHHH!!!

Quick, quick!! New Arcade Fire, featuring David F***ing Bowie!

AHHHHH!

It's all dancey and disco and amazing!

Check it before it gets pulled!

http://zumic.com/music-videos/reflek...-audio-stream/

Yes I just posted this on the "what are you listening to" thread.

But they are worthy of separate discussion/fawning over.

Oh my god, I f*cking love that. Hopefully there's more like this on the new album, it's a sound they flirted with on The Suburbs but never really embraced.

The fact that Bowie is on it just makes it 100x more epic!

I really love the dancey-disco-y aspects of it.

But I do think if the entire album was in that vein I would be a little disappointed. I want some proper Arcade epics please!!

I really love the dancey-disco-y aspects of it.

But I do think if the entire album was in that vein I would be a little disappointed. I want some proper Arcade epics please!!

Funeral was rich in French and Caribbean influence.

Neon Bible was a lot darker, although the Funeral-era No Cars Go serves to lighten the mood.

Suburbs is a bit of a fusion of both, tied into something semi-coherent and conceptual - along with one track, Sprawl II, which gave a clear indication of where they were going next.

I honestly couldn't give a toss on what Arcade Fire do, as long as its good. If they can maintain this kind of musical variety without sacrificing quality, they'll earn their place as one of the best outfits of all time.

Funeral was rich in French and Caribbean influence.

Neon Bible was a lot darker, although the Funeral-era No Cars Go serves to lighten the mood.

Suburbs is a bit of a fusion of both, tied into something semi-coherent and conceptual - along with one track, Sprawl II, which gave a clear indication of where they were going next.

I honestly couldn't give a toss on what Arcade Fire do, as long as its good. If they can maintain this kind of musical variety without sacrificing quality, they'll earn their place as one of the best outfits of all time.

Yeah, true.

Sprawl II is one of my favourite all time songs. It's just incredible. I'm so in love Reginé.