Cable router

Scummer

Seems my cable router has given up the ghost. Wasn't showing when I searched for wireless networks, have just reset it and everything looked perfect but it's vanished again. So looks like I might need a new one. Any recommendations? It'll be used for general internet browsing via my laptop (with built-in wireless), wireless connection to the wii, and an o2 joggler internet radio thing.

As I sat, I'm on cable (virgin) so it needs to be compatible. Don't want to spend too much if I don't need to.

Have you spoken to Virgin..? Apparently they have had a fault which has covered many areas of their network. I have friends in Southampton who have been affected by it, even though the technician said the fault didn't include Southampton. He called back later [what a nice chap] to say that the fault DID INCLUDE Southampton. He had argued black was white earlier in the day. It was only because I was on hand that I could tell him that his NTL/Virgin modem was in fine working order, constantly finding the signal and then dropping it. This produced a simliar result in Windows, as you have, in that the network failed and then was fine. Failed and then was fine. Talk to Virgin before you spend money. BTW, the fault still isn't fixed, as of today. Crap service.

Have you spoken to Virgin..? Apparently they have had a fault which has covered many areas of their network. I have friends in Southampton who have been affected by it, even though the technician said the fault didn't include Southampton. He called back later [what a nice chap] to say that the fault DID INCLUDE Southampton. He had argued black was white earlier in the day. It was only because I was on hand that I could tell him that his NTL/Virgin modem was in fine working order, constantly finding the signal and then dropping it. This produced a simliar result in Windows, as you have, in that the network failed and then was fine. Failed and then was fine. Talk to Virgin before you spend money. BTW, the fault still isn't fixed, as of today. Crap service.

I don't think it's Virgin that it the problem, as if I connect directly to the modem via an ethernet cable everything is fine. It seems to be the wireless router which is being temperamental.

I don't think it's Virgin that it the problem, as if I connect directly to the modem via an ethernet cable everything is fine. It seems to be the wireless router which is being temperamental.

Ah OK. Here you go, take your pick. Any of the bigger pictured ones would be fine, IMO. Depends on your requirements and pocket:

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/Networking/WirelessNetworking/WirelessRouters/DSLRoutersNTL/Virgin/

Edited by St Landrew

My one that's playing up is Linksys though, I guess everything breaks in the end.

Out of interest, what do I gain by spending say £50 as opposed to £20?

A recognisable name on the front. No seriously, if you don't have a need for higher capability in a router, then don't pay the extra. A few years back, I had been given secondhand routers and modems etc... They eventually broke down because they had been halfway through their working lives when I got them. But they cost me nothing. But some of the equipment broke down a little more often than others, and I built up a pattern of what was preferable. Eventually, I came across a Netgear BT modem/router. I'd heard all about Netgear and how they were. On first use I hated them with a passion. But they are good products and very reliable too. Are they worth the extra. I don't really know, because I didn't pay for the one I have. Cheaper ones work very well indeed and have improved interfaces nowadays too, so they are easy to setup. Netgear are still probably easiest to setup, in my experience, simply because they'll do it all for you. That can be annoying for some. As I said, I hated it at first, but it will let you in to fiddle about afterwards anyway.

My advice is, pay a little extra if funds permit. If they don't, or you simply don't want to pay the extra, then don't. Buy a basement price, but good spec Novatech model, and you'll probably find that it's fine anyway. If you're an ultra gamer, then it's probably better to get as high a spec as you can, but you don't have to buy one with a name. If your broadband is relative snail pace [like mine] and you've no plans to ever improve it, definitely don't pay extra.

Does that give you an idea..?

A recognisable name on the front. No seriously, if you don't have a need for higher capability in a router, then don't pay the extra. A few years back, I had been given secondhand routers and modems etc... They eventually broke down because they had been halfway through their working lives when I got them. But they cost me nothing. But some of the equipment broke down a little more often than others, and I built up a pattern of what was preferable. Eventually, I came across a Netgear BT modem/router. I'd heard all about Netgear and how they were. On first use I hated them with a passion. But they are good products and very reliable too. Are they worth the extra. I don't really know, because I didn't pay for the one I have. Cheaper ones work very well indeed and have improved interfaces nowadays too, so they are easy to setup. Netgear are still probably easiest to setup, in my experience, simply because they'll do it all for you. That can be annoying for some. As I said, I hated it at first, but it will let you in to fiddle about afterwards anyway.

My advice is, pay a little extra if funds permit. If they don't, or you simply don't want to pay the extra, then don't. Buy a basement price, but good spec Novatech model, and you'll probably find that it's fine anyway. If you're an ultra gamer, then it's probably better to get as high a spec as you can, but you don't have to buy one with a name. If your broadband is relative snail pace [like mine] and you've no plans to ever improve it, definitely don't pay extra.

Does that give you an idea..?

Yes, thanks.

I had the same problem as you did scummer so I decided to buy a new router and I bought another Linksys/cisco as I already knew how to set it up and it works very well. The only problem I have now is with the Virgin Modem every so often it drops off and I have to disconnect & reconnect it can be a right pain at times.

Another reason I had to get another router was that my security kept dropping off and I was surfing through a unsecured network! now that did worry me.