Merc SL 55 AMG

Thedelldays

just found this on a review

Running costs

The SL55 AMG has variable service intervals. With average driving (and no track work) you should expect the first service to arrive at around 12,000 miles or two years and cost between £300 and £350 depending on the dealer. The slightly larger service that will arrive between 20,000 and 24,000 miles will cost around £500. Added to this there are also consumables that need to be changed at specific intervals: the brake fluid should be renewed at two years (around £200), at three years the coolant needs to be replaced (£130), at four years eight new spark plugs will set you back £400, while the air filter (£100) and fuel filter (£200) will need replacing at the same time. Finally, every five years the automatic transmission oil and filter need to be changed (£250).

That's not terrible, actually, for a genuine performance car.

Remember though, the 55 AMG bit will mean bugger all to the ladies.

dont care about that...I will be in the position soon enough to spend upto £25k on a car (well...20-22k cash and mine with px)...and would love to get a real piece of kit like that..

I really wanted to get a porsche..however, reading up about them is nothing but horrific running and aftercare costs...makes you wonder if porsche do this on purpose...then you have the RMS snags they have...which means a total engine rebuild..

I have had a BMW M3..and they are appealling again...but a merc like that would be fantastic

dont care about that...I will be in the position soon enough to spend upto £25k on a car (well...20-22k cash and mine with px)...and would love to get a real piece of kit like that..

I really wanted to get a porsche..however, reading up about them is nothing but horrific running and aftercare costs...makes you wonder if porsche do this on purpose...then you have the RMS snags they have...which means a total engine rebuild..

I have had a BMW M3..and they are appealling again...but a merc like that would be fantastic

Must admit I do like them. The servicing isn't that bad considering what you're getting. What sort of quote have you had for insurance? Tyres I would imagine would be mental and don't know what sort of miles you'd expect to get out of them.

Must admit I do like them. The servicing isn't that bad considering what you're getting. What sort of quote have you had for insurance? Tyres I would imagine would be mental and don't know what sort of miles you'd expect to get out of them.

just did a little quote thingy on go-compare..I have 6 years NCB and 3 points......best quote was £850.....hmmmmm

Oh. Elephant aren't an insurer I'd ever recommend. Mine was with Direct Line. I've had too much experience of problematic insurers when buying insurance based on price alone. I actually crashed that Supra and received slightly more than I paid for the car, despite me giving them the correct purchase price at the time, because they couldn't replace it for the same money.

• 2 weeks later...
Oh. Elephant aren't an insurer I'd ever recommend. Mine was with Direct Line. I've had too much experience of problematic insurers when buying insurance based on price alone. I actually crashed that Supra and received slightly more than I paid for the car, despite me giving them the correct purchase price at the time, because they couldn't replace it for the same money.

you are right about elephant....

salesman - "do you want hire car cover if your car is stolen"

me - "no thanks, I know enough friends with cars to get me by in the event of something unlikely as that"

salesman - "well, what do you think you will do for a car then"

me - "as said, I will be ok"

salesman - "so, how do you think you will get about"

me - "errm thanks for your concern but none of your business"

salesman - "well, make sure you dont get caught out"

I then hang up

phoned up admiral, got told they are a sister company to elephant and were very helpful and matched their price..