so... my philips dvd player/surround sound is fecked

so... my philips dvd player/surround sound is fecked. the drawer wont open or close and i cant change function onto aux, so i cant use the surround sound for the telly. There was a DVD stuck in there and I thought that was causing the problem but I got that out by turning it upside down and opening the tray with a release switch (advice read somewhere online). When the drawer opened a snapped rubber band came out as well. I suspect this will cost more to fix than it's worth & I don't have a funny head screw driver to see if i can fix it myself.

So what are my options? can I just get a Philips (or any other brand) surround sound system without the speakers? the speakers are fine, but have "easy-fit" connections. I hope i am wrong, but I wouldn't imagine that these are industry standard, can I change them?

all advice welcome, but I am really looking for a cheap fix:)

Is it within its guarantee period..? I'm guessing NOT. I suspect you're talking about some form of starhead screw when you refer to the funny heads. Screwdrivers are available for these. When you get the thing open you'll be able to measure the rubber belt required, and I'm sure they are available. With the power of the internet, many things that weren't repairable [because you simply couldn't track down the bits] now are. A separate problem is the inability to change source. If the unit isn't that old, it may be a case of switching it off [properly off, i.e. the equivalent to pulling the plug] and waiting for 20 secs or so, before restoring power. You may get it back.

I can't help any more than that without knowing model details.