The benefits of an iPhone tariff?

thesaint sfc

I'm currently coming to the end of my 18 month contract which I took out on a Nokia N97. Shortly after getting it I realised it was crap and the worst purchase I ever made. I bought the iPhone which is the best purchase I have ever made. I've been intending to take out a simplicity contract costing me about £20 a month for everything I could ever desire. What are the actual benefits of taking out an iPhone tarriff?

For £20 on iphone simplicity 12 month I get 600 minutes, unlimited texts, wifi and 3g.

Or for £35 on an iphone contract I get 600 minutes, 500 texts, unlimited wifi and 3g.

Am I missing something here? :?

http://shop.o2.co.uk/tariffs/simplicity/iphone/12_months

https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=29&q1=21

I have Simplicity 20 for iPhone @ £19.99/mth. I get (and have never not had) visual voicemail Ponty; I don't recall receiving any setting updates and certainly haven't changed any setting myself, so I'd look into that if I were you.

thesaint_sfc, you've missed the boat slightly on the Simplicity. I did post on one of the recent threads to suggest that people should have switched or taken out a new Simplicity contract before 24 June, as the day the iPhone 4 launched coincided with O2 changing their contract terms. Mine, Ponty's and anyone elses whose contract started before that date will continue to receive 'unlimited' 3G data allowance instead of the new capped 500MB.

Depending on your usage, this may not be a problem. I, however, have checked mine on the O2 website and although a few months in the last couple of years I've used 350ishMB, most months were between 750MB and 1.2GB. A couple of months I exceeded 2GB as well. I do use mine extensively out and about during the day in the cab, perhaps a lot mores than, say office workers, and at some points I was watching , BBC iPlayer(3G Jailbreak workaround) and SKY Sports Live etc, but most of those months would just be heavy browsing.

If I lost my Unlimited Data, I'd seriously look at one of Three's sim only plans, but would've had to check out their coverage first. Might be worth considering it yourself.

Ess, could you do me a favour please and check the setting you have for APN for visual voicemail. I'm sure you know where to find it but just in case...

Settings - General - Network - Cellular Data Network

Currently mine is set at idata.co.uk but that should only work on iPhone tariffs. I had to change the Cellular Data setting to mobile.o2.co.uk and the MMS setting to wap.o2.co.uk from the default idata.co.uk settings, so I don't get why you haven't had to.

Do you have the iphone simplicity tariff, or just the simplicity tariff Ponty? If just the simplicity - that maybe why. I only found out posting this thread that there was an iphone simplicity tariff.

I'm not even sure what Visual Voicemail is - doesn't sound worth the cost difference, let alone the fewer texts and minutes!

I missed that one Ess, but I'm still on contract so wouldn't have opted for that anyway I don't think. I don't use 3g much as signal in South East is a bit rubbish, and I work in an office a fair bit. Bastards nonetheless though.

Mines a Simplicity tariff from almost when they first brought them out. It's been modified since, with updated freebies and bolt-ons but it's essentially the same £19.99 Simplicity I always had.

I guess that's why as I didn't know there was an iPhone version either.

I was joking about missing Visual Voicemail, btw. I've never used voicemail for the simple reason that if I don't want to speak to someone I really don't want a voicemail from them!