New Mobile Phone - help please.

SNSUN

Time for a new phone, I've been using my trusty old Nokia 6300 for nearly 4 years now and it's been the best phone I've ever had - I did get a replacement phone about 18 months ago when renewing my contract but it was rubbish. I don't want an I-Phone as I have a Touch, but am not sure what to get.

Now after exhausting online search engines looking for a new phone, I've narrowed it down to either:

Nokia E72 - good looking candybar phone with QWERTY keyboard

Nokia 900 - bulky but witha slideout QWERTY keyboard

or take the plunge and go for a touchscreen phone, something I haven't used except on my Touch and go for the:

HTC Desire - which has excellent reviews and is not unlike the I-Phone.

Do any of you have these phones and like them? I'm really not sure which I want...

Wife has a desire and its very good. You can get a 16gig micro SD for 20 quid and the phone can handle ogg music files which helps get a fair amount of music on it if you want to go down to a single device.

I have the Nokia n900,you will not be disappointed chap.

Bloody awsome,agreed it is a bit chunky but not so much that you really notice.

You can run so many apps/functions at once it's great.

Firefox on it is great also aswell as the Meamo 5.

Superb camera and video.

I find both slide out and onscreen keyboards are great when using either the net or sms,the stylus works well also.Touch screen is very responsive and scrolls seamlesly whatever task you are using it for,imo.

File manager is very easy to use,has really good storage capacity too, media player is great for watching movies and listening to music,the stereo sound is great.

Has a nice little stand so you don't have to sit and hold it whilst watching stuff and that gives optimum sound and visuals.

The screen works both vertically and horizontally and the internal giroscope runs it smoothly when in phone,dialling pad and contacts mode.

You can really personalise every aspect to make it a laptop and complete comunication device in your pocket.

Most of what you need to know.......

http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/

Edited by saint lard

I have blackberry

good phone, decent organiser, turd for internet

My mate at work has a Bold and likes it, but I tend to use it for internet more than anything else now, so that rules that out.

Thanks for your reviews guys. I have thought long and hard about getting an I-Phone - it's easy to use, I know how to use it, and the new one has come out now with the camera so Ihave that luxury too. One of my mates just bought the Sony Ericsson X10 minipro which looks great too, but I think I'm 80% sure what I'm getting now. A bit more shopping and I should be there.

In a straight head to head it has to be the Desire. It's the iphone and then some, although as some have said the android market isn't quite up there with the appstore yet. It's growing though and all the apps you NEED are there.

The fact that it only comes on £30+ a month contracts is a bit of a pain as it takes a bit of the value out of it. I'm running two of the buggers for £30 a month as I got in there early on release.

In a straight head to head it has to be the Desire. It's the iphone and then some, although as some have said the android market isn't quite up there with the appstore yet. It's growing though and all the apps you NEED are there.

The fact that it only comes on £30+ a month contracts is a bit of a pain as it takes a bit of the value out of it. I'm running two of the buggers for £30 a month as I got in there early on release.

You can get it on a lower contract if you look around. Luckily for us when I got the wife hers TMobile had it on a 160 up front and a tenner a month for 2 years (only 100 mins and 100 text but unlimited internet). Then Tmobile decided it was such a good deal to remove it but it still only costs a tenner a month but they have taken the 160 as advanced payment. Take off the 40 quid I got back via quid co and the phone + 2 years free internet comes to about 200 quid. :D:D

Edited by pedg

If you're coming from a Nokia and you need a cell phone primarily to make phone calls, you'll be probably be disappointed with the iphone, especially if it's for business use....It's a POS when it comes to 'phone calls' compared with just about anything else out there...It does loads of other things great...except make quick and easy good quality phone calls.

Think of it more as a great pocket computer that at a pinch can also be used as a phone.....You can tell how much emphasis Apple put on the 'phone' side of the device by the crazy design of the ip4 where just by holding it bridges the RF and wifi antenna's and 'detunes' them both.

Cheers for all your advice guys, I must say people are very loyal to the phones they own! I deliberated long and hard and realised that in the future all phones will.have touch screen technology so I made the step up and after reading some reviews from pros, plumped for the HTC Desire. Love it so far but it'll take me, the technophobe, a while to learn its functions!

Cheers for all your advice guys, I must say people are very loyal to the phones they own! I deliberated long and hard and realised that in the future all phones will.have touch screen technology so I made the step up and after reading some reviews from pros, plumped for the HTC Desire. Love it so far but it'll take me, the technophobe, a while to learn its functions!

Good move.

Check out the other thread on Android apps.

good phone my brothers got one ,only downside is battery life but better for minutes and contract deals then the over hyped and overpriced iphone4 and you don,t need gaffer type on it to give a good signal .

i think android phones are getting better and better.

You can get it on a lower contract if you look around. Luckily for us when I got the wife hers TMobile had it on a 160 up front and a tenner a month for 2 years (only 100 mins and 100 text but unlimited internet). Then Tmobile decided it was such a good deal to remove it but it still only costs a tenner a month but they have taken the 160 as advanced payment. Take off the 40 quid I got back via quid co and the phone + 2 years free internet comes to about 200 quid. :D:D

I got mine on the T-Mobile £15 a month for 18months. The upfront charge was £89. That too has 100 mins and 100 text, but you obviously get your choice of booster so I've got unlimited texts. As you know they obviously pulled all those contracts once they saw what their competitors were able to offer!