Video Converters

Red Alert

I am after a video as I recently bought an external HD to store a bunch of tv and films I have downloaded. Problem is that some of them are in .mkv format and not able to be played on my box so need converted. Any good programmes out there for me to use on my pc? Handbrake is good, but after something else if possible.

What are you playing them through? I can highly recommend getting a Western Digital WDTV or WDTV Live Media Player for around £100. They will play MKVs no problem, and hook up USB drives locally or via network ('Live' model only). Also connects through an HDMI connection and can playback HD.

Just noticed your playing back through PC, but with one of these you can play through a decent TV or monitor with speakers.

Edited by Pugwash
Didn't fully read OP

I second VLC - very rarely come across something it cannot play. Alternatively - its probably quicker to download the files again in a format you can use rather than try and convert. The conversion process will probably take a while.

I've had problems playing MKVs with VLC. not gone into it too deeply as I just use Media Player Classic now on the PC, but VLC rejected perhaps half of the MKVs I have.

I've used MakeMKV to create the files from DVDs, about 98% successful.