Apps for Android

John D

Hi

Recently got the HTC Desire - Anyone recommend any decent apps for it and best place to get them from:

I read in paper that you can now get sky sports centre on android but can't find it anywhere

Cheers

John

Hi

Recently got the HTC Desire - Anyone recommend any decent apps for it and best place to get them from:

I read in paper that you can now get sky sports centre on android but can't find it anywhere

Cheers

John

I'm using the Hero but I guess everything on that will work on the much sexier Desire.

Handcent SMS - much better SMS app.

AutoResponder - sends a (customisable) SMS if you can't answer the phone if you're at footie, the cinema etc.

Call Filter - Will answer and immediately hang up any calls from with held / unknown numbers.

AndWobble - Take pics and then make them wobble (my kids love this).

Google Sky Map - Point your phone at a star and this app will identify it (or search and it will locate for you).

Movies (Flixter) - Tells you what's on at your nearest cinema, with trailers etc.

Google Listen - Subscribe to and download podcasts.

Phonalyzr - Keep track of everything to do with phone usage.

SMS Backup - Does what it says on the tin (backed up via email to your googlemail account).

Astro - Good file manager.

Layar - Augmented reality (very clever).

All available from the Android Market on your phone.

HTH.

Surely we should mention Tapatalk ? :D

Don't bother with the Berlitz guide to London - absolutely sh*te!

Google maps ftw tbh. Really good with the inbuilt Sat receiver, used it loads in London to get directions and a lot better than having an A-Z!

Finally, Think it's K-9 mail, best app for multiple email accounts on the phone.

Good luck and congrats on a great choice of phone!

If you've got the HTC Hero the UK update of Android 2.1 is coming this month and will be like having a new phone :) To get the pre-reqs if you're impatient like me, just change your system date on your phone to > 1st July 2010 and wait a few minutes and the pre-installation files will be downloaded and will install ready for the final files at some point in the next couple of weeks.

If you've got the HTC Hero the UK update of Android 2.1 is coming this month and will be like having a new phone :) To get the pre-reqs if you're impatient like me, just change your system date on your phone to > 1st July 2010 and wait a few minutes and the pre-installation files will be downloaded and will install ready for the final files at some point in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks Tractor.

I have updated ready for the big 2.1 upgrade and I've noticed a huge improvement in the quality of videos in the YouTube app.

The Android 2.1 (Eclair) update has now been released to all unbranded phones.

Those of us with branded phones (T-Mobile, Orange and 3) will have to wait while our service providers stick their fingers in their bottoms for a while.

But if you're like me and you're impatient and a tiny bit technical you can update the phone yourself.

I am now running 2.1 on my T-Mobile branded phone.

2.1 is a vast improvement over 1.5.

The UI is much faster and more responsive.

And there are many more apps available.

I am amazed by Google voice search and Google goggles.

I followed the simple instructions here http://www.roothtchero.co.uk/goldcard-2.

You need a spare MicroSD card and an XP machine running the latest version of HTC Sync.

Follow steps 1 - 10 to 'goldcard' your phone (this tricks the phone into thinking it's not tied to Orange or T-Mobile etc).

Then, downgrade to the generic HTC RUU by clicking on the link in step 11 and waiting for a download slot.

Then just follow the instructions to install the old HTC ROM.

When this is done and you reboot the phone it prompts you to update to the 2.1 preparatory.

After this you reboot and it prompts you to update to full 2.1.

Another reboot and away you go.

Make sure you back up FIRST because all your data will be wiped.

This can be done using MyBackup which is free (trial) from the Android Market.

PS. I accept no responsibility if you brick your phone. Do this at your own risk and don't whine to me if you feck it up. :)

The Android 2.1 (Eclair) update has now been released to all unbranded phones.

Those of us with branded phones (T-Mobile, Orange and 3) will have to wait while our service providers stick their fingers in their bottoms for a while.

But if you're like me and you're impatient and a tiny bit technical you can update the phone yourself.

I am now running 2.1 on my T-Mobile branded phone.

2.1 is a vast improvement over 1.5.

The UI is much faster and more responsive.

And there are many more apps available.

I am amazed by Google voice search and Google goggles.

I followed the simple instructions here http://www.roothtchero.co.uk/goldcard-2.

You need a spare MicroSD card and an XP machine running the latest version of HTC Sync.

Follow steps 1 - 10 to 'goldcard' your phone (this tricks the phone into thinking it's not tied to Orange or T-Mobile etc).

Then, downgrade to the generic HTC RUU by clicking on the link in step 11 and waiting for a download slot.

Then just follow the instructions to install the old HTC ROM.

When this is done and you reboot the phone it prompts you to update to the 2.1 preparatory.

After this you reboot and it prompts you to update to full 2.1.

Another reboot and away you go.

Make sure you back up FIRST because all your data will be wiped.

This can be done using MyBackup which is free (trial) from the Android Market.

PS. I accept no responsibility if you brick your phone. Do this at your own risk and don't whine to me if you feck it up. :)

Ha yeah I have looked at the instructions and various videos on how to upgrade to 2.1 but as you've pointed out I'm too scared to feck it up!

Bit of a silly way of doing things. However did read that Vodafone and HTC are working on 2.2 which is supposed to be easier on the old phones.

Ha yeah I have looked at the instructions and various videos on how to upgrade to 2.1 but as you've pointed out I'm too scared to feck it up!

Bit of a silly way of doing things. However did read that Vodafone and HTC are working on 2.2 which is supposed to be easier on the old phones.

It'll be worth the wait when you get it mate.

I'm pretty sure the Hero won't be getting Android 2.2 as an official upgrade so if you want that you may have to 'root' your phone.

That's a fair bit trickier than simply goldcarding it.

• 3 weeks later...

These are mine:

Phone: HTC Desire

20 total, 20 free (100%), 0 paid (0%), 22MB total size, $0 total price

View this app list on AppBrain

• 2 weeks later...