New Iphone

JonnyLove

I wonder if you also have to pay for the iphone 4 on top of that..?

From the o2 website;

"Existing customers upgrading to iPhone 4

If you've already got an iPhone 3G or 3GS, you can get the latest iOS 4 for free."

Edited by swannymere

From the o2 website;

"Existing customers upgrading to iPhone 4

If you've already got an iPhone 3G or 3GS, you can get the latest iOS 4 for free."

that is the software (i think)

what I meant was, after paying your way out of your contract, would they then want another fee for the new handset itself..?

what I meant was, after paying your way out of your contract, would they then want another fee for the new handset itself..?

Good Spot (it was late!) Not sure, i think i paid £160 for my current 3Gs 16GB

Three is the best network for the iphone o2 network is the worse for 3g coverage never have a 3g signal unless i have a 3 sim in my iphone

Not true. Three and T-Mobiles combined there 3G/HSDPA signal masts about two years ago. T-Mobile and Orange have since merged into Everything Everywhere, so now T-Mobile, Orange and 3 will soon all be using the same signal masts. So in terms of 3G/HSPDA coverage, anyone of those networks will soon give you the exact same coverage, therefore if your choosing between those three networks, signal coverage should not be a factor.

Yup, it's in the bumph at the bottom of that page...

A few rules before you can take advantage of the offer. You have to:

Have paid your Early Upgrade Offer charge;

Sign up for a new 18 or 24 month minimum term Pay Monthly or 24 month Business airtime contract with O2 with an iPhone at the normal price for that phone and on our iPhone tariffs; and

Agree that you won't have a change of mind period and won't be able to go back to your old tariff.

and the hilarious thing is that o2 announced yesterday that they were ditching the unltd data with their smart phone tariffs. Tariffs will now come with either 500mb, 750mb or 1gb.

So you can stay on your unltd tariff as long as you don't ever want a new handset. Upgrade your handset and youcan kiss goodbye to the data.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/jun/10/o2-iphone-tariffs-unlimited-end

and the hilarious thing is that o2 announced yesterday that they were ditching the unltd data with their smart phone tariffs. Tariffs will now come with either 500mb, 750mb or 1gb.

So you can stay on your unltd tariff as long as you don't ever want a new handset. Upgrade your handset and youcan kiss goodbye to the data.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/jun/10/o2-iphone-tariffs-unlimited-end

what is bad about that, is that apps, streaming etc (that iphone is pretty bloody good for) are getting more and more bandwidth hungry..

unlimited never really was unlimited but this wont be good for marketing

also, arent the government (or last one) dragging their heels abotu the sale of the next gen phone carriers..?

Picture messaging (MMS) will also be chargeable at 20p per pic. These used to use the equivalent of 4 text messages every time you sent a picture. So now you pay about £40 per month + 20p for every picture you send via MMS and you are limited to 500mb for internet use.

Robbing bastards!!! :(

what is bad about that, is that apps, streaming etc (that iphone is pretty bloody good for) are getting more and more bandwidth hungry..

unlimited never really was unlimited but this wont be good for marketing

also, arent the government (or last one) dragging their heels abotu the sale of the next gen phone carriers..?

o2 were the only provider offering truly unltd data, now their limits are going to be on the stingy side in my opinion. Vodafone cap non-iphone smartphones at 500mb (iphone = 1gb)nad now charge as soon as you go a meg over. Orange cap at 500mb for non-iphone smartphones (iphone = 750mb) as well. It really is a joke tbh. There's no point supplying the phones if they're not prepared to let people use at least 1gb of data per month.

I use a fair bit of wifi on my phone, but one month I left it on 3g all the time and went about my normal business, including the downloading of a couple of albums bia amazon mp3 stors and I hit 2.5gb of data downloaded.

People say that 500mb of data is plenty, but if you're actually going to use the phone as it's designed to be used, they are just plain wrong. I could probably live with a 1gb cap as I can switch over on to wifi quite a lot, but I'm pleased T-Mobile offer a reasonable 3gb download cap on all Android phones.

So that comes with 600 minutes, 500 Text and unlimited (uncapped) internet usage and free wifi on BT Openzone & The Cloud. (On o2)

No. Didn't think so.

Plus I should expect it to integrate with Google as it uses googles OS. Much like MobileMe works amazing with iPhone which ok may cost £50 a year but I have my phone and 2 mac's sync'd up and really could not live with out it. (by the way the google products do not have the same feature set as mobileme so please don't say they do and for £50 a year it's worth it)

is that what you think you're going to get with your new iphone? Unlikely.:o

The screen is a massive difference to what? The latest Samsung OLEDs?

What do I want from a phone? The ability to do what I want without a restrictive OS and Apples - Apples way is best mantra. I think I will head down the Android route when my upgrade is due, although webOS is looking mighty interesting these days.

got to agree i,m well impressed with the android operating system on my brothers phone and think that may be the way to go in the future.

so to get Iphone OS4 on the iphone 3gs do you have to pay? I'm very confused.

£499 :( I spent that in January on my 3gs! I'll probably get one when I've heard enough people raving about them.

No, You can update to iOS4 for free on your 3GS. You just can't do things like Multi Task..... You can still benefit from the upgrade though.

No, You can update to iOS4 for free on your 3GS. You just can't do things like Multi Task..... You can still benefit from the upgrade though.

I believe you can multitask with IOS4 on the 3GS but not on a 3G.

my non-iphone contract on o2 ends on august 13th. On o2 you can upgrade any time in your last month. Can i upgrade to the iphone4?

http://shop.o2.co.uk/new-iphone/howtoupgrade.html#paymonth

You can buy yourself out of your contract with O2 for £20 per month & then get a new contract with data restricted tarrifs & new phone charges, Or buy one on PAYG £499 16 gb - £599 32 gb.

Indeed - I heard this too. I don't see any major benefit in rushing out and buying the new iphone so I think I'll wait and see what happens. The 3gs has been around for ages so any problems with it have been smoothed out. I wouldn't want to rush into buying one until they've sorted out any potential issues.

http://shop.o2.co.uk/new-iphone/howtoupgrade.html#paymonth

You can buy yourself out of your contract with O2 for £20 per month & then get a new contract with data restricted tarrifs & new phone charges, Or buy one on PAYG £499 16 gb - £599 32 gb.

I really don't see how anyone could think that paying off their remaining contract could be a feasible option. My non iphone contract runs out in November, therefore it would cost me £80. Surely it would make more sense to get one pay as you go until the end of your contract, then sign up to simplicity for 12/18 months.

I'm so glad I switched to Simplicity for iPhone at the end of my contract. £20 per month for 600 Mins, 1200 texts (incl MMS), Unlimited Data. Sell my 16gb 3G for £200 and pay £499 for a new UNLOCKED i4 and continue to use my 30 Day Simplicity plan without being tied into a new expensive 2yr contract; Thereby being able to see if any other network can offer a better plan at any time (unlikely).

Anyone who is thinking of getting an i4 but is moaning/worried about the capped data allowances: you can go sign up for an O2 Simplicity plan before 24th June with Unlimited Data, then just but an i4. The capped limits only apply to new SIMs from 24th June.

I was under the impression you could only multitask with the new A4 Processor, only available in the iPad and iPhone4?!

I may be wrong though!!

Thousands of complaints regarding new iphone when holding phone the signal drops out !

mine doesnt, tried it loads even following the youtube videos, guess whatever issue it was was quickly fixed on the hush

It affects the American lower frequency ranges. No problems for us :)

Hmm, well I tried it extensively this morning and definitely managed to get it to affect my signal in a BIG way. Its the little black strip (According to Steve Jobs) bottom left corner. I start call with 5 bars of signal, put fingers over this black strip and over a period of 20 seconds it drops to 1 bar, remove finger and its back to 5 bars. I did this half a dozen times on 3 phone calls. The issue DEFINITELY exists with UK phones. I should imagine if I was making my phone call from somewhere that only has 1 or 2 bars signal anyway, this would be enough to lose the call.

lol, yeah no doubt. Seems a shame as everything else about the phone is epic. This could be a serious embarrassment for apple, if it's not software fixable, which it probably isnt, they are looking at a mass recall!