Different Ownership and Managment, same old summer

alpine_saint

in alpines defence...

...we need to strengthen in a couple of key positions and add to the squad.

...we need to hit the ground running and ideally start the season early and with a complete squad.

...."gelling" cannot be used as an excuse for the coming season

..someone needed to start a thread that livened up the board

..he may be a troll but he's a bloody good one!

...Stick him on ignore!

if you have him on ignore, why reply to his thread?

Against...

Alps, i do my best to stand up for you, but hysterical threads like these do not help
Your post was so ill-considered that for a -very - brief moment I thought you were parodying yourself.

...its early in the closed season. its a world cup(slow) year, there's no point in signing a player who is on holiday.

...Pardew/cortes have ony strengthened the squad since they arrived, there is no reason to think they won't continue to do so.

off topic

How the hell are you in a position to say that? How have you worked that out?
...You made a judgement on a player and I'm not sure if you have seen him play much (if at all).

3 pages for someone who doesn't even attend matches ffs. Haha. Genius.

I hope ye lads are going to south africa! otherwise according to your rules you are not entitled to an opinion on englands world cup campaign.

I hope ye lads are going to south africa! otherwise according to your rules you are not entitled to an opinion on englands world cup campaign.

What a strange comparison! :D

Every match of the World Cup is live on the TV.

How many Saints games that Danny Seaborne has played in, have been shown live in Austria?

Also watching a game on TV isn't the same as seeing a player live at the stadium. The camera misses a lot.

What a strange comparison! :D

Every match of the World Cup is live on the TV.

Also watching a game on TV isn't the same as seeing a player live at the stadium. The camera misses a lot.

contradict yourself much?

have you seen any of the england team play "in the flesh" lately? I bet you still have an opinion on who the skipper/captain/front 2 should be? but as I said..."off topic"

in alpines defence...

...we need to strengthen in a couple of key positions and add to the squad.

...we need to hit the ground running and ideally start the season early and with a complete squad.

...."gelling" cannot be used as an excuse for the coming season

..someone needed to start a thread that livened up the board

if you have him on ignore, why reply to his thread?

Against...

...its early in the closed season. its a world cup(slow) year, there's no point in signing a player who is on holiday.

...Pardew/cortes have ony strengthened the squad since they arrived, there is no reason to think they won't continue to do so.

off topic

Slightly different seeing as I can watch the England games on TV, Alpine doesn't watch the Saints games on TV and nor do I believe he watches them on Saints Player even though they are available to him.

Also i'd like to point out I find England more comically entertaining at the moment rather than any kind of passion. Therefore my opinion is I don't really give a hoot about England's world cup campaign. I certainly don't find myself interested in it anywhere near I do Southampton.

contradict yourself much?

have you seen any of the england team play "in the flesh" lately? I bet you still have an opinion on who the skipper/captain/front 2 should be? but as I said..."off topic"

Do you know what a contradiction is? Because I certainly didn't contradict myself in that post.

I didn't say using the TV isn't a way of obtaining an opinion, I just said it isn't as good a method compared to actually being at a game! Alpine does neither on a regular basis when it comes to Saints, yet still forms an opinion.

Yes, my opinion about Seaborne may be wrong, but at least it is based on first hand evidence rather than none at all or secondhand. :)

Edited by Matthew Le God

Nothing but rumours, no solid transfer activity, gaps in the team to fill as usual (this case RB and CM).

Pre-season around the corner, and "gelling" until October ensuring no automatic promotion.

We need to start this season on our feet and already running, and the same old b*ll*cks is occuring.

I just think Patience is required we have the nuecleus of a good team which will be added to in the next few weeks.

Even if we performed as well as last season we will get to the play offs so whats the problem

If Pardew wants to keep his job - which is presumably a given - he needs to extractum digitalis, because even if Cortese is contributing to the delay in signings, Pardew won't find that works as an excuse if the team is not in the top two come December.

I think it was Nick G who said there were good signings available last July/August. True, and they didn't win a game until October. The greatest choice is available the earlier the club is in the market so we need to hope that things are happening behind the scenes, because if not, Alpine's concerns will be justified.

If Pardew wants to keep his job - which is presumably a given - he needs to extractum digitalis, because even if Cortese is contributing to the delay in signings, Pardew won't find that works as an excuse if the team is not in the top two come December.

I think it was Nick G who said there were good signings available last July/August. True, and they didn't win a game until October. The greatest choice is available the earlier the club is in the market so we need to hope that things are happening behind the scenes, because if not, Alpine's concerns will be justified.

Although it would be nice to be in First Position by September we could still be promoted In 1959-60 we were ninth in October and finished Champions

It's only a few internet weirdos and Echo rent-a-quotes who feel the need to be "communicated" too constantly like a small baby though.

99% of Saints' "customers" I expect are perfectly happy and looking forward to next season. "all this negativity" really doesn't exist outside the odd minds of a small number.

It doesn't look like such a small number to me, although I don't think neither you or I know exactly how many. To suggest that 99% are happy is a throw away remark, though, and not a reflection of reality. It reminds me of the russian's in the days of communism suggesting that 99% voted for the party. It's called propaganda.

My concern is that we are aiming high with our transfer targets (players who will be good enough to get us through the NPC) that if we miss out them, we will be too late to get the best L1 players who were available - like Gudjohnsen & Arfield who have now signed for Huddersfield.

My concern is that we are aiming high with our transfer targets (players who will be good enough to get us through the NPC) that if we miss out them, we will be too late to get the best L1 players who were available - like Gudjohnsen & Arfield who have now signed for Huddersfield.

Dickson, Calderon, Adomah...what level are these guys then? There are hundreds of players out there, lets get the right ones shall we not just anyone to appease impatient fans like yourself. Under Burley we panicked into Thomas and had three years of injuried and ****. With Pardew we were patient enough to wait till Jardi's work permit came through and he was like a breath of fresh air. A centre back that can win headers! Patience. We want to win the league this season. That means we must bring in the the very best players not just anyone.

Edited by Chez

have they signed..?

what's you point?

Mine point is that our links to these three

shows we have made moves in the market

shows the type of player we are after in terms of quality

shows we are not after unattainable players - all three out of contract

Chnaces are Pardew is in Cape Town with BBC or ITV as a pundit. He won't be thinking sh*t about Saints right now only how to improve his own dosh flow and making contacts that could land him a big job.

Chnaces are Pardew is in Cape Town with BBC or ITV as a pundit. He won't be thinking sh*t about Saints right now only how to improve his own dosh flow and making contacts that could land him a big job.

No doubt. Despite the fact that BBC and ITV have announced their lists of pundits and AP isn't on either.

But don't let the facts get in the way of a good, unsubstantiated rumour.

Nothing but rumours, no solid transfer activity, gaps in the team to fill as usual (this case RB and CM).

Pre-season around the corner, and "gelling" until October ensuring no automatic promotion.

We need to start this season on our feet and already running, and the same old b*ll*cks is occuring.

Jesus.....what a miserable focking @rsehole.

No doubt. Despite the fact that BBC and ITV have announced their lists of pundits and AP isn't on either.

But don't let the facts get in the way of a good, unsubstantiated rumour.

haha.

put that in your pipe and smoke it!!

:toimonster:

dunno, have we..?

unless they are saints players right now, then they have not signed

It's quite possible that certain players have already signed pre-contract terms, in which case they will be Saints players come July (and of course we don't know whether or not this has happened).

Unless any player has already signed for another club, we haven't missed out on them as they're still available.

I'm sure we'll make signings and I hope and trust they'll be good ones. I'm also sure that we will miss out on some of our targets, but that happens to every club.

dunno, have we..?

unless they are saints players right now, then they have not signed

Correct and as there are millions out there we can't sign them all so a shortlist will have to be drawn up. These things take time so just be patient, just because other clubs have signed certain players doesn't mean we have to rush into it, these other players were obviously not on our radar for them to sign for other clubs.

If the window is closed, how come we have signed Dickson today ? The report does not indicate his contract has run out yet

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/8210967.Saints_sign_Dickson/

The international transfer window for signings will open on Wednesday, 9 June and will stay open until 1800 BST on Tuesday, 31 August.

Domestic transfers between clubs in the same association (eg England or Scotland) can take place as soon as a club completes its last competitive fixtures.

However, many transfers or signings, although agreed at this time, will not formally go through until 1 July because the majority of players' contracts expire on 30 June.

HTH

Other League one transfers:

9 June

Paul Heffernan [Doncaster - Sheffield Wednesday] Free

8 June

Angelo Balanta [QPR - MK Dons] Loan

Rob Burch [Lincoln City - Notts County] Free

Gary Naysmith [sheffield United - Huddersfield]

7 June

Harry Arter [Woking - Bournemouth] Undisclosed

Nikki Bull [brentford - Wycombe] Free

Mitchell Nelson [Tooting & Mitcham - Bournemouth] Undisclosed

Stephen Purches [Leyton Orient - Bournemouth] Free

Chris Sedgwick [Preston - Sheffield Wednesday] Free

Other League one transfers:

9 June

Paul Heffernan [Doncaster - Sheffield Wednesday] Free

8 June

Angelo Balanta [QPR - MK Dons] Loan

Rob Burch [Lincoln City - Notts County] Free

Gary Naysmith [sheffield United - Huddersfield]

7 June

Harry Arter [Woking - Bournemouth] Undisclosed

Nikki Bull [brentford - Wycombe] Free

Mitchell Nelson [Tooting & Mitcham - Bournemouth] Undisclosed

Stephen Purches [Leyton Orient - Bournemouth] Free

Chris Sedgwick [Preston - Sheffield Wednesday] Free

So with Ostembor Sheffield Wednesday have signed THREE top class players already :D

I'm confused, are you more concerned about the lack of signings or when the window opens?

I am concerned about no signings (now a little mollified), but the point was people on here were using the window as justification for no signings, when that patently isnt the case.

I am concerned about no signings (now a little mollified), but the point was people on here were using the window as justification for no signings, when that patently isnt the case.

having got Dickson but lost out on Calderon, where does that leave your thoughts then? Both looked top notch to me, and Calderon was clearly our first choice. We will either have to go for second best now or pay out more for someone of equal ability (as Calderon was on a free). Very surprised we did not manage to secure his services personally, but such is life. I wonder if this is a similar situation to the centre half chase in the window when we ended up with Seaborne.

having got Dickson but lost out on Calderon, where does that leave your thoughts then? Both looked top notch to me, and Calderon was clearly our first choice. We will either have to go for second best now or pay out more for someone of equal ability (as Calderon was on a free). Very surprised we did not manage to secure his services personally, but such is life. I wonder if this is a similar situation to the centre half chase in the window when we ended up with Seaborne.

Didn't I read somewhere that Calderon has an injury? That so then we don't need passengers.

• 3 years later...

^ This

Yep, same thread each year.

I think we leave stuff too late.

A lot of you would applaud if we brought in our signings on the last day of the window, just because we brought players in, and b*ll*cks to if we lose half the season integrating them.

Its called differing opinions.

A least this attempt at mobbing me demonstrates that I am consistent.

Thats your opinion.

Well you started a thread in the Championship season about the signings we made in the summer of 2011 not being good enough/in enough numbers or signed early enough and we ended up winning 6 of the opening 7 games, were in the top 2 all season and were promoted to the Premier League! So at least I have some hard facts on my side, what about you...?