Rossi Out of Mugello MotoGP

St Landrew

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/motorbikes/8723843.stm

I read it and I almost didn't believe it. The bloke has never missed a race, ever. He hardly ever makes mistakes, and he certainly has never high-sided when coming off a bike. He's done a few low-sides, but that is just the bike sliding out from under him. I understand he could be out for upto 3 months.

In a high-side, the sliding back wheel suddenly finds grip, as the power is shut off for a split-second, and re-applied. The bike literally catapults the rider out of the saddle. At 120mph, whatever the surface you land on, it isn't going to feel soft.

If you haven't got Eurosport, qualifying should be coming up on the BBC MotoGP webpage shortly at... well the schedule says 11.50 to 15.00pm. But true to form, the Beeb are screwing us around again. If you had to put up with the dreadful coverage of MotoGP, on F1, you'd end up not watching. Ho-hum.

Ah, here it finally is. 125s are still out, as I write: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/motorbikes/7677201.stm

Edited by St Landrew

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/motorbikes/8723843.stm

I read it and I almost didn't believe it. The bloke has never missed a race, ever. He hardly ever makes mistakes, and he certainly has never high-sided when coming off a bike. He's done a few low-sides, but that is just the bike sliding out from under him. I understand he could be out for upto 3 months.

In a high-side, the sliding back wheel suddenly finds grip, as the power is shut off for a split-second, and re-applied. The bike literally catapults the rider out of the saddle. At 120mph, whatever the surface you land on, it isn't going to feel soft.

If you haven't got Eurosport, qualifying should be coming up on the BBC MotoGP webpage shortly at... well the schedule says 11.50 to 15.00pm. But true to form, the Beeb are screwing us around again. If you had to put up with the dreadful coverage of MotoGP, on F1, you'd end up not watching. Ho-hum.

Ah, here it finally is. 125s are still out, as I write: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/motorbikes/7677201.stm

Just been watching the 125s and didn't know Nicola Cortese was multi-talented :wink:

That's a massive crash and a massive moment for Rossi in his career. He's 31 now and I wonder how much longer he wants to continue in MotoGP. I wonder if he'll consider wanting to try F1 out again

Just been watching the 125s and didn't know Nicola Cortese was multi-talented :wink:

That's a massive crash and a massive moment for Rossi in his career. He's 31 now and I wonder how much longer he wants to continue in MotoGP. I wonder if he'll consider wanting to try F1 out again

I was about to post the same thing. ;)

It's Sandro Cortese, for anyone who is interested. He's German.

EDIT: In 4th place was Nicola Terol. It did look a little odd when they showed the list of riders times.

More seriously, just looked at Rossi's crash. That looked bloody ouch.

Edited by St Landrew

Well, in the absence of Rossi, the qualifying was a tad subdued, but the bikes were still flying. Casey Stoner is in real trouble, IMO. He got 3rd, in front of Nicky Hayden, but he reckons he did a banzai lap to do it. He did look ragged, but then he always does a bit. Nicky got baulked and still came in 4th. Pedrosa assured us that his pole position was NOT achieved on a hard race tyre, but a soft tyre, although it didn't have a white stripe. Hmm... porky pies..?

1. Pedrosa, 2. Lorenzo, 3. Stoner

If everybody stays onboard tomorrow, I reckon it'll end:

1. Lorenzo, 2. Pedrosa, 3. Hayden.

Typically rubbish coverage of the crash. If it was F1 we'd have multiple off-board and on-board shots. Just goes to show how prehistoric coverage of MotoGP is. So annoying.

Hey, I agree, as you well know, Ponty. The BBC coverage of MotoGP is absolutely average. I was watching Jake Humphries F1 video blog the other day, and someone fielded a question asking when F1 will be transmitted in HD. Jake's answer was that as soon as it becomes available, the BBC will have it. Well guess what..? MotoGP has been in HD over the whole of the World [those countries that can technically accept it] except GB, for well over a year. That's how apathetic they are at the BBC.

Anyway, I digress. I came on here to update the progress on Rossi. He's had an operation on his leg and had a metal plate and screws inserted, and is doing well. Mind you, his smile was back, even when he was in the helicopter off to the hospital. he probably thought, oh well, at least now I can get my shoulder seen to. The leg injury is so bad it may take up to 6 months for him to get back at full bone and muscular strength. At 31, fingers crossed he'll still be keen.