Ignore The US At Your Own Peril

TijuanaTim

I've read quite a few world cup blogs (mainly the Guardian) and you invariably get someone coming along saying that the US is a great team and England will be lucky to beat them etc. Firstly they've been a fixture at all world cups since 1990, so no they are not an unknown quantity and England will not be underestimating them. Secondly there is nothing wrong with England being very confident that they will beat the US. Aside from one or two players there is a lot of mediocre to poor players in the team - Jay Demerit FFS!

There is a chance the US might win, after all this is football but forgive me if I lose no sleep over the US.

I've read quite a few world cup blogs (mainly the Guardian) and you invariably get someone coming along saying that the US is a great team and England will be lucky to beat them etc. Firstly they've been a fixture at all world cups since 1990, so no they are not an unknown quantity and England will not be underestimating them. Secondly there is nothing wrong with England being very confident that they will beat the US. Aside from one or two players there is a lot of mediocre to poor players in the team - Jay Demerit FFS!

There is a chance the US might win, after all this is football but forgive me if I lose no sleep over the US.

Indeed.

Slovenia will be a tougher match IMO. Very organised at the back and the kind of team our bunch of up-and-at'em cloggers will struggle against.

Again, thank you - great explanation of your viewpoint. There is a chasm of difference between the different parts or States, personally I have to say that I have found Americans to be some of nicest, most courteous and generous people...maybe I've gone a bit native tho' (if that is a bad thing??)

Agree with you 100% )....That's also been my experience of living here in the The 'Deep South' (heh, i 'know' i've gone native though ;) )

I wouldn't even dream of living anywere else now.....Even to a point that a few years back I came to realize that i loved the New Orleans Saints even more than the Southampton Saints....Something i couldn't have even contemplated a few years before.....And this year i'm going to continue following my heart and throw my hat in the ring for the USA!.

So 1-0 to Uncle Sam!

Geaux USA! "You better quit yer fooling with yer cousin Uncle Sam"

Indeed.

Slovenia will be a tougher match IMO. Very organised at the back and the kind of team our bunch of up-and-at'em cloggers will struggle against.

We will hopefully be playing our second string by then anyway.

Personally I think the USA game will be a far harder test, they're not exactly going to come out and attack us and they have a few decent pacey players going forward from midfield.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5260896/ce/us/england-unimpressive-win-club-team?cc=5901&ver=us OUCH!! Went to the LA Galaxy game with four other ex-pats this weekend (great game btw), all of them are adamant (tho' I do not completely agree) that England are under-performing so much at the moment that LA even without Beckham and Donovan could beat England.

Disclaimer: There was heavy imbibing involved 'cept me as I do not drink.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5260896/ce/us/england-unimpressive-win-club-team?cc=5901&ver=us OUCH!! Went to the LA Galaxy game with four other ex-pats this weekend (great game btw), all of them are adamant (tho' I do not completely agree) that England are under-performing so much at the moment that LA even without Beckham and Donovan could beat England.

Are you sure it wasn't crack that your mates were consuming?

How exactly are England under performing? We qualified with ease with two games to go whilst scoring a **** load of goals.

Sure we've ****ed around in a few friendlies (still won) but they're pretty much irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. The players are far more concerned about not gettting injured than scoring and a lot of the time we're trying new formations and styles of play. They don't mean anything.

La Galaxy wouldn't beat England and I doubt they would beat anyone at the world cup tbh.

How exactly are England under performing? We qualified with ease with two games to go whilst scoring a **** load of goals.

Sure we've ****ed around in a few friendlies (still won) but they're pretty much irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. The players are far more concerned about not gettting injured than scoring and a lot of the time we're trying new formations and styles of play. They don't mean anything.

La Galaxy wouldn't beat England and I doubt they would beat anyone at the world cup tbh.

Andy...you are not wrong mate, mind you why was Rooney pouting and throwing little tantrums if the team ain't concerned??

Oh and (not that I could give a 'rat's') 'septic' could be translated as a racist remark and we all know how hot on bigotry and racism the admin is.

How the hell is it racist? No-one down my street would find it such. A little annoying, perhaps, but that's a chasm of difference.

Doubt it...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/366957-galaxy-will-be-tested-without-beckham-and-donovan

For those in the USA (and UK? does this site work?) then most of the games are going to be shown live online at

http://espn.go.com/espn3/

The streams are excellent. Will be handy for anyone watching at work.

A clear schedule (in ET) showing the USA broadcast info is here:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/fixtures?cc=5901&ver=us

As for the hype? What hype? Where I live about 2 people even seem aware it is on. I've found one shop in the whole of the area with any WC stuff for sale (including an Ireland shirt - seriously!). It may pick up once it starts but I can't see that happening to be honest...

Those celeb quotes from the link above - they would probably sound quite sensible compared to the replies you'd get from a lot of people round the Midwest USA.

I used to hate the over-the-top hype in England where every old bag suddenly becomes a football fan but round here it is just a bit too far the other way!

The other week some college basketball team from 70 miles away did well in a tournament and the local sport is all about 'what are your plans for the big game' etc etc. USA v England in the WC live on terrestrial TV on a Sat afternoon? Not a thing.... Not one single mention yet...

I guess it may be different in other parts of the USA but round here it definitely is the American cliche of 'Soccer tournament - what soccer tournament?'.

Printable schedules for all 4 US time zones as well as the UK. http://www.matchfitusa.com/p/printable-world-cup-schedules.html

I am deciding between going to watch on the big screen in Downtown Houston or at the pub. Might do downtown for the Mexico opener as it will be quiet the party.

Those viewing parties are fun...great socially, trouble you can never seem to remember the match after????

Getcha wide-screen hi def goin' Tex ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

lol..its like the yanks have won the damn thing...

I still maintain (as i said from the start) that they will go out in the 2nd round..

serbia/germany/ghana will have too much for them...even cruddy old england had too much for them but for a complete freak of an own goal

Lol, WD StG... That one goal more scored has really paid off. TBH, it should have been a formality because you beat Slovenia in my eyes. On the flip side, one less Rob Green fumble and you'd have been second.

Good luck in the next round, whoever you choose to support.

What did he say mush?

I can't do it word for word, it's been over 90 minutes, lol, but it was very peculiar. He kept on about his "journey" (not the team's, his own) and then became really humble but in a hammy way.

I can't do it word for word, it's been over 90 minutes, lol, but it was very peculiar. He kept on about his "journey" (not the team's, his own) and then became really humble but in a hammy way.

Hollywood baby - the only thing I am surprised at is that John Wayne didn't come riding over the horizon to score the winner??

lol..its like the yanks have won the damn thing...

I still maintain (as i said from the start) that they will go out in the 2nd round..

serbia/germany/ghana will have too much for them...even cruddy old england had too much for them but for a complete freak of an own goal

Seem to be right at the moment as Ghana have just scored.

But USA have done well in the later part of the games so far

Lotta bitterness ladies, have t'say this US team totally added to this excellent World Cup. Positive attitude, strength in adversity, genuine excitement and no rolling around-cheating and being a bunch ponces.

Come on admit it, a very value added tournament component. Well done US and thanks.