Would we be higher in the table if..

1976_Child

a) Strachan was still with us

b) Skate-napp was still with us

c) Burley was still with us

d) Nigel was still with us

I'll answer my own question:

a) No-brainer, absolutely yes.

b) No-brainer, we would have already been relegated to Div 1 and he would have skulked off back to farton.

c) possibly

d) I honestly reckon we would be doing ok with NP at the helm.

b) No-brainer, we would have already been relegated to Div 1 and he would have skulked off back to farton.

c) possibly

Well then he wouldn't still be with us now would he?

hairs and splitting!

(I see you are showing your location as Bournemouth. Are you indeed him? perhaps having a wee look at the Cherries again... go on, you know you want to buy that club! Leave the skates to their fate...

;)

That was what I was thinking

Answer to the question though is Yes, yes, possibly and yes. Burley is the only one that could have us in just as bad a position, possibly worse. If he had Snodin as assistant then my answer would be different

c) possibly

Not renewing Pearson's contract was the biggest ever blunder that Lowe has made.

He could have still pursued his cost-cutting and sold players -at Pearson's advice, but not indiscriminately, willy nilly as has been the case.

But of course Lowe would never accept a mere manager or coaches advice, would he?

Whatever, with Pearson we would now have a top quality motivator and leader who would scrape more wins than the present set-up is capable of doing. And the squad would now have been fitter with greater stamina.

We will rue the day. I hope history proves me wrong, but I can't see it now.

I still do not understand the admiration for pearson. He tried hard and was good at looking passionate, but there is nothing to suggest he was going to be any better than he was at the end of last season, which really wasn't very good at all.

But much better than at present.

Not renewing Pearson's contract was the biggest ever blunder that Lowe has made.

He could have still pursued his cost-cutting and sold players -at Pearson's advice, but not indiscriminately, willy nilly as has been the case.

But of course Lowe would never accept a mere manager or coaches advice, would he?

Whatever, with Pearson we would now have a top quality motivator and leader who would scrape more wins than the present set-up is capable of doing. And the squad would now have been fitter with greater stamina.

We will rue the day. I hope history proves me wrong, but I can't see it now.

Pearson never had a hope of staying, once Lowe returned there was never a chance in hell he'd work with a manager that he hadn't apointed, let alone one that crouch had

c) possibly

Ah the old sheep mentality regarding Redknapp. Redknapp inheriitted a team in freefall that was utter utter rubbish. He was then undermined by Lowe who never wanted him anyway. Fine hate Pompey but this is a poxy messageboard where you don't need to keep up a false front.

I think that without doubt we would have been higher placed under WGS than we are now under JP. I'm not so sure how Burley would have fared with these players. I don't believe that Redcrapp could excel with the youngsters. I just have a gut feeling that we would have been mid table with Pearson. Why? I think that he and WGS have some traits that they share. I think that they are both managers that command respect. They are both firm but fair and do not suffer fools gladly. They are both leaders and they seem to have a knack for choosing players who may not look great as individuals, but meld together with others to form a decent team. And they are the two managers amongst the past five or six who gave the impression that their teams were fighting fit and fully committed. JP's youngsters show commitment, but are starting to look jaded already this season and I don't get the impression that they have the stamina levels of a WGS team.

I still do not understand the admiration for pearson. He tried hard and was good at looking passionate, but there is nothing to suggest he was going to be any better than he was at the end of last season, which really wasn't very good at all.

Well let's see after 13 games if JP has a better league record than

W 3, D 7, L 3. (16 points).

Ah the old sheep mentality regarding Redknapp. Redknapp inheriitted a team in freefall that was utter utter rubbish. He was then undermined by Lowe who never wanted him anyway. Fine hate Pompey but this is a poxy messageboard where you don't need to keep up a false front.

eh? it was only a light humoured dig at him-down-the-road. I actually have a lot of respect for Harry and the honesty he brings to the game. You need to chill out a tad..

I don't understand the total love-in for Strachan, it was his lack of ability to change our playing style that started the freefall that (ineviteably??) ended in relegation. Doesn't anyone remember the dire stuff that was played out in the last few months of his time here (and I mean before it was announced he was leaving). He did the same at Coventry and got them relegated - he just jumped ship before exactly the same happened to us. Granted it wasn't all his fault but he certainly started the rot.

Guest Hacienda

Which is still better than we have now.

I don't understand the total love-in for Strachan, it was his lack of ability to change our playing style that started the freefall that (ineviteably??) ended in relegation. Doesn't anyone remember the dire stuff that was played out in the last few months of his time here (and I mean before it was announced he was leaving). He did the same at Coventry and got them relegated - he just jumped ship before exactly the same happened to us. Granted it wasn't all his fault but he certainly started the rot.

It is very convenient to be extremely selective about the reasons why Coventry were relegated under Strachan, totally ignoring what were the more pertinent ones. The Chairman, Richardson, was from a similar mould to our current bete noir Lowe and Strachan had to sell anybody half decent to balance the books. Sounds familiar? If a list of all of those players were made, most would recognise the names and it is fair to suggest that a pretty decent team could be formed of those players who could probably maintain a mid table position in the Premiership at the time without too much bother.

Anybody who reckons that it is possible to jetison a bunch of players of that stature and survive in the Premiership, needs to realise that we are undergoing much the same sort of exercise a division below; but the final result looks like it will be the same for us. We have sold, or will sell all of the quality in our team and we will also be lucky if the end result of relegation is avoided.