Ryan Dickson

doggface

This reminds me...we should have an annual award for 'worst post of the year'.

I used to be a member of the German Sausage Appreciation Society (GSAS) message board a few years back. I once came second in their wurst post of the year award.

Dickson "Is the best left back in this division" - so says his former boss...

A Brentford season ticket holder here at work thinks he is there best player by a mile and would be very very sad to see him leave.

Also at 23 Dickson is at a good age and can get a lot better. Harding at 28 is probably near his peak from a fitness and experience point of view.

I think its a good signing. Lets hope Inigo Calderon follows shortly along with a couple of others to add some real depth to the squad.

Harding is only 26, so only approaching his peak. Nonetheless, Dickson would appear to be a welcome addition.

Sorry buddy - who do you think is/was the best left back in L1 in 09/10?

Harding could well be the best.....but

ask Brentford fans and they will say Dickson

ask Swindon fans and they will say Sheehan

ask Huddersfield fans and they will say Williams

ask Carlisle fans and they will say Harte

Its difficult to say unless you watch each player regularly.

League one LB of the year was Harte......

Who, bizarrely, played at CB for much of the year, including the JPT Final!

So have you watched Harte or any of the others regularly?

You can't have watched that well as Harte was centre back for most of the season.

Glasgow Saint has a point tbf. Ask any teams fan they will claim there left back is the best. I've watched a bit of Brentford this season and Dickson is better than Harding. Hth.

Harding, for all his solid qualities is not as capable as Dickson going forward (Many Brentford fans will tell you Dickson is a bit like Bale to us a few years ago...There best attacking threat) and Dickson is just as solid defensively. I'd rather have Dickson but with him competing with Harding can only be good.

So have you watched Harte or any of the others regularly?

You can't have watched that well as Harte was centre back for most of the season.

I think the point was he was the official best LB last year, according to the PFA.

I thought we were supposed to be building a team of "top half championship" standard rather than picking off players from teams that finished below us in the third tier of English football....?

Their are always good players..even in the most mediochre teams...

Rickie came from Bristol Rovers, Punch from Plymouth /MK Dons and Barnard from Southend. The trick is to spot them .

Don't think AP did so badly getting those three...or do you ?

tremendous acquistion.

Buying the best young talent from this division is an excellent transfer policy especially when these players look as though they can handle the step up in division. When his name was first mentioned on here I read the Brentford forum description of him and he has everything you could want of a fullback.

This potential signing reminds me very much of when the skates took Matty Talyor for next to nothing from Luton (a divsion below at the time). At that time he was the best fullback in the third tier and he instantly shined when stepping up to the Nationwide league and was instrumental in getting them promoted. No step up in division here, but stand out talent is obvious and at 23 he is going to improve.

tremendous acquistion.

Buying the best young talent from this division is an excellent transfer policy especially when these players look as though they can handle the step up in division. When his name was first mentioned on here I read the Brentford forum description of him and he has everything you could want of a fullback.

This potential signing reminds me very much of when the skates took Matty Talyor for next to nothing from Luton (a divsion below at the time). At that time he was the best fullback in the third tier and he instantly shined when stepping up to the Nationwide league and was instrumental in getting them promoted. No step up in division here, but stand out talent is obvious and at 23 he is going to improve.

Well said.

Unfortunately we can't sign him because we already have a left back...

pah. If we can sign the best players we are going to do it!

IIRC Pardew took harding off in one game, and when questioned by Solent said that it would remain a matter between him and the player, but hinted he was not doing the things Pardew wanted him too.

It may be that, despite what we think, Harding is not able to do the job Pardew wants done, for the benefit of the whole team.

Harding is solid, but limited. Perhaps Pardew wants more, and sees it in Dickson?

An interesting point, but Pardew's first signing last year was a left back (Harding) on a free transfer (from Ipswich)! This deal was followed up by the signings of Rickie and Hammond!

A sign of things to come hopefully!

Sorry how can you compare the two team's defences as if they have significance on the players abilities.

Here is how it breaks down, Harding is a solid defensive full back who offers little going forward. When Saints play at home, they struggle to break teams down as Harding and the other full back can't push forward.This lad Dickson is a very attacking full back, who carved us open a few times and caught the eye. The consensus is that he is going to help the team become a more attacking threat by overlapping the midfielders and getting forward.

Not rocket science and definitely needed. As mentioned before, anyone who can add to the quality of the team is welcome in my eyes.

As for those who are saying playing Harding at right back, terible idea. Okay as a stop gap, but we need balance not square pegs in round holes.

We probably need 2 right backs brought in, 2 centre midfielders and at least one large striker to deputise for Ricky

You must have watched a different Harding to me then saw him get forward plenty of times built up a good understanding with Lallanna on the over lap. Scored a couple to boot. The only time harding didn't get well forward was when he had to play emergency rightback he still played well on the defensive but getting forward was harder on his wrong foot.

Edited by doddisalegend

Glasgow Saint has a point tbf. Ask any teams fan they will claim there left back is the best. I've watched a bit of Brentford this season and Dickson is better than Harding. Hth.

Harding, for all his solid qualities is not as capable as Dickson going forward (Many Brentford fans will tell you Dickson is a bit like Bale to us a few years ago...There best attacking threat) and Dickson is just as solid defensively. I'd rather have Dickson but with him competing with Harding can only be good.

You notice spurs don't play Bale at LB anymore maybe it's Lallanna who should be worrying about his postion not Harding.

I thought we were supposed to be building a team of "top half championship" standard rather than picking off players from teams that finished below us in the third tier of English football....?

one player doesn't make a team & vice versa, a poor team doesn't make a good player bad. I'm hoping u were being tongue in cheek although may have been a bit of tumbleweed blowing past, eh Skacel?! ;0)

You notice spurs don't play Bale at LB anymore maybe it's Lallanna who should be worrying about his postion not Harding.

Maybe it's us who should be worrying about Lallana not being here eh!!

Cetain players will not be worried about replacements coming in,if AP messes them about they'll just ask to leave.

Well no because at no point did I mention Spurs did I?

He's what Bale was for US, not Spurs. Us. Bale for us was our outlet, our main attacking threat, we'd ping to him and he'd go on a mazy run and put the ball in the box so our attackers could get on the end of it.

That's whay Dickson was for Brentford. There main attacking threat.

Well no because at no point did I mention Spurs did I?

He's what Bale was for US, not Spurs. Us. Bale for us was our outlet, our main attacking threat, we'd ping to him and he'd go on a mazy run and put the ball in the box so our attackers could get on the end of it.

That's whay Dickson was for Brentford. There main attacking threat.

So what? I was mentioning Spurs. I was pointing out Spurs don't play Bale at LB and he is a better player for it. Maybe just maybe AP wants to play Dickson at LM not LB.

So what? I was mentioning Spurs. I was pointing out Spurs don't play Bale at LB and he is a better player for it. Maybe just maybe AP wants to play Dickson at LM not LB.

they do..he played and has played plenty of games this season as LB..

only in the last few weeks of the season he was LM

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills
Blimey! We must be putting him through one hell of a medical. He's been in there for hours!

With all of our break-even austerity he's probably still queueing at the General for an NHS appointment.

they do..he played and has played plenty of games this season as LB..

only in the last few weeks of the season he was LM

You mean the ones where the tv pundits and press couldn't sing his praises enough, where he was far and away the best player in the spurs team, as I say playing him LM suits his game more.

Why would AP suddenly drop an inspirational player like Lallana for some untried and untested player who excels at left back?

1)I was being tounge in cheek

2) You could say the same about Harding IMO why drop a very good LB that we got to see perform well all season and came second in the player of the season poll only losing out to Lambert. For one whose main claim to fame among saints fans seems to be he beat Lloyd James in a match against us and put in one good cross.

Although' date=' as they've printed the story before the OS, does this mean they'll be banned again? If the ban was even lifted in the first place, that is![/quote']

If I were Dickson I'd now be worried that as it has appeared in The Echo before any official announcement,Saints might 'Eliott Ward' the deal.

2) You could say the same about Harding IMO why drop a very good LB that we got to see perform well all season and came second in the player of the season poll only losing out to Lambert. For one whose main claim to fame among saints fans seems to be he beat Lloyd James in a match against us and put in one good cross.

Fortunately our scouting system does not consist of most "saints fans" but professionals that watch him in games against other teams.

He obviously did a little bit more than skinning Lloyd James last season.

Who's to say Dickson will walk straight into the team? We need strength in depth, this is part of the master plan where one team will win us the league and the other team will win the FA/League/Paint trophies :smile: