Cortese V Lowe

dune

just seen the light. you are right, ML is running saints on skates model, Cortesse has been lying on live radio interviews, only those who love him will believe his lies, we are heavily in debt and Markus will call those debts in.

I tried!

We are not heavily in debt... because we have the luxury of our loanee being our owner, so he can take back his money from the profits when it suits. But don't be naive to think he doesn't want his money back... and quite right he should want it back too!

Anyway, forget the loaning, regardless what people have said about investment last season, it wouldnt surprise me if we turned a profit anyway.

do you think Cortesse was lying when directly asked this on live radio

Well he instructed his staff to give the reason behind the lack of payment plans as " it costs too much to administrate " - That's a lie.

He said that the lack of sponsorship on the shirt next season was a gesture from the club to the fans because we don't need the money - That was a lie.

So I dunno, you do the maths?

The beauty about SFC being a private Ltd company now is we may never know just how much Liebherr put in from his own pocket and how much he took back.

By the way, I am not saying it's a bad way of running the club, it's the way most Ltd football clubs operate.

He maybe lying but nothing to say he is. One thing apparently lying in third hand explanation to someone who rings up, totally different in live radio interview with clear question.

Nothing at all to say he is. He could easily avoided the question, or said we have certain loans etc but he went out of his way to assure us that we have no debts and ML is donating money

He maybe lying but nothing to say he is. One thing apparently lying in third hand explanation to someone who rings up, totally different in live radio interview with clear question.

Nothing at all to say he is. He could easily avoided the question, or said we have certain loans etc but he went out of his way to assure us that we have no debts and ML is donating money

It's another thing to release a statement about the sponsorship which is a lie...

Seriously, I am off to bed now and staying off the forum tommorow, I do feel for you if you think thinks are as rosy as you say. I am not saying they are bad... but Liebherr is not just throwing money at us willy nilly!

It's a bit like listening to your mate talking about a girl that he loves and him telling you she thinks he is amazing, but you know she is f*cking someone else, you just don't know what to say to make him realise. :-(

Do you think £3 is a reasonable amount to charge for a postal delivery given that most clubs with a ticket tax charge £1?

Do you think it's reasonable to charge £5 membership for this site when it used to be absolutely free? You obviously think so, and therefore you pay your fiver.

Tell you what, do us and yourself a favour, when it comes to renewing your membership on here stanley, don't. Save that fiver and all of us from your interesting voyeurism into soccer fan forums.

You have slipped up again and I for one will no longer be contributing to your little project. I suggest others follow suit.

this is one I did ages ago, shows that your assumptions are based on normal wealth not the likes of ML or Abramovich etc

Exactly. Buying Saints (or any other football club) to make money is based on someone with normal wealth (such as son-of-gun-runner down the road), not someone with the mega wealth of ML.

It's something a number of posters here just can't seem to fathom. One day they'll see the light.

Bless 'em. :rolleyes:

WTF do people want? The same people that are banging on here now whinged when we were a plc. SFC is not a charity it is a ltd company which needs to turn over a profit to survive. That is a fact of life, if you don't like it find another hobby or pastime.

This typical English attitude of it's not the winning but the taking part is bringing this country to its knees. I'm English and proud of it but I want us to be winners again, not also ran’s. It’s the same for my football club, I don't, as some have suggested, want us to be potless and bumbling around in the lower echelons and happy with our lot. I want us to be back at the top competing with the best. That, whether you like it or not, costs money. ML & NC have given the initial impetus that we need to achieve that and contrary to popular belief ML is not a philanthropist but a very successful businessman. If we didn't invest in the team to push for promotion these same moaners and groaners would be vilifying NC for no ambition. That investment has to come from within the revenue raised by the club. A model that NC has realised all clubs will eventually have to adopt. We are ahead of the game as with most other projects that SFC has initiated since being SAVED last year.

The only thing, as far as I can see, that NC got wrong was the timing of the announcement for the season tickets. It would have been nice to have more notice that the payment scheme was being withdrawn. As for the allegations of lying maybe that is something you might want to consider legally?

I will no doubt get torn up for rs paper for this comment as I don't post that often but the continuous petty sniping is unbelievable. Everybody is entitled to their opinion but some people are becoming obsessed, thank god we don't burn witches and heretics at the stake anymore!

Exactly. Buying Saints (or any other football club) to make money is based on someone with normal wealth (such as son-of-gun-runner down the road), not someone with the mega wealth of ML.

It's something a number of posters here just can't seem to fathom. One day they'll see the light.

Bless 'em. :rolleyes:

Bless your optimism. :-)

The reality is that Liebherr will have had to loan SFC very little money in the last year, infact I would not be surprised if we have turned a profit/broken even before Liebherrs loan payments are taken back.

ML only has mega-wealth if he wants to give it to Saints, the club is being run as a self-sufficiant business, Cortese has told us that, so Liebherrs wealth is irrelevent apart from we have the piece of mind that we will not go pop again.

The reality is that Liebherr will have had to loan SFC very little money in the last year, infact I would not be surprised if we have turned a profit/broken even before Liebherrs loan payments are taken back.

ML only has mega-wealth if he wants to give it to Saints, the club is being run as a self-sufficiant business, Cortese has told us that, so Liebherrs wealth is irrelevent apart from we have the piece of mind that we will not go pop again.

what ml may be doing is lending the club cash short term to buy players and having it paid back when there is sufficient funds available, thus avoiding interest charges from the bank

!

It's a bit like listening to your mate talking about a girl that he loves and him telling you she thinks he is amazing, but you know she is f*cking someone else, you just don't know what to say to make him realise. :-(

I am ****ging your bird and she said i am much better than you, have a bigger **** than you and thinks about me when you are sticking your acorn in her snatch, oh and she said she'd only do arse to mouth with me. There you go.

what ml may be doing is lending the club cash short term to buy players and having it paid back when there is sufficient funds available' date=' thus avoiding interest charges from the bank[/quote']

Yes, exactly, he may well be doing this. There's nothing wrong with it, it's how all ltd company football clubs work, with the exception of maybe Chelsea.

The theory that Liebherr is giving us the money and is not calling back the money he has lent to buy the club and possibly purchase some players is wrong though, in my opinion... they are loan arrangements and he expects his money back.

Of course we have the luxury of being able to default and not get charged, and pay minimal interest ( alot of chairmen that loan clubs money, also add interest... the yanks at Liverpool are an example of this )

inaccurate again.

can't believe we are even thinking about compare L*we and Cortese :rolleyes:

Why not? We compared him to Wilde and Crouch. We compare players with other players.

When that nice Mr Wilde rode into town with his honchos we were told off for asking questions about him because he was getting rid of that nasty Mr Lowe. In hidnsight we were right to ask questions as he and Crouch did more damage to the club's finances than Lowe ever did.

From what we know of Cortese he does have some similarities to Lowe. Whether he will be good for the club or not long term, only time will tell. But to say that we can't compare the two, or anybody else for that matter, just harks back to the head in the sand behaviour when Wilde first took over.

I find it insulting that some fans even think they can look for comparisons between Lowe and our new management set up.

We have ambition, desire for success, generous owners, a first rate manager, a good executive with desire to succeed.

There is simply no comparrison because at the end of the day Lowe was incompetent and our current regime are competent.

I love this club under our new owners... love it. The comparison is simple: success against failure.

It's always a very flawed comparison when comparing two people in the same role, where one has been in the job for 10 months and one was in it for 10 years

Indeed. But it doesn't stop anyone forming opinions about what we know about Mr Cortese and what he has done so far. It is one thing making a club competitive in the 3rd division and another to keep a team in the Premiership for a long period of time. It will be interesting to see how things pan out if he stays with us for any length of time.

I find it insulting that some fans even think they can look for comparisons between Lowe and our new management set up.

We have ambition, desire for success, generous owners, a first rate manager, a good executive with desire to succeed.

There is simply no comparrison because at the end of the day Lowe was incompetent and our current regime are competent.

I love this club under our new owners... love it. The comparison is simple: success against failure.

Still black and white then Robbie. I don't think that Lowe was incompent. We would have stayed in the Premiership so long or have moved out of The Dell etc if he had been useless at his job.

There is one huge difference. Lowe had to operate on a relatively small budget (minute when at The Dell with crowds of 15k) and Cortese has better financial backing.

Cortese has only been here for one season and we still do not know that much about him, who he is or how he operates. It is very nice that you nail your clours so firmly to his mast but it smacks again of that "anyone but Lowe" mentality that you and others will never let go of.

FRom what is coming out of St Mary's Mr Cortese is much more arrogant and self opninionated than Lowe ever was but you are happy to give this guy your blind allegence whilst still carrying on this silly all Lowe did was crap thing.

If Cortese gets Saints to the Premiership and keeps them there for a as long as Lowe did, gets to the FA Cup Final and takes us into Europe I shall be more than happy with him. But lets not pretend that Cortese should be tretaed any differently from Lowe if he acts in the same way.

I love this club under our new owners... love it.

Let's clear one thing up... the only thing Lowe can be guilty of is running too tight a ship, maybe not having the ambition and not taking a punt and borrowing money, incompetent at running 'the business' he was most definately not.

It's amusing that you lot advocate Cortese raising charges left, right and centre to try and maximise income, yet Lowe ran SFC as a self-sufficiant business and he was wrong for doing so?

We didn't have a god given right to stay in the Premiership, we were always going to get relegated at some point. And it was Wilde and Crouch's gamble spending money to get us in the play-offs which backfired and started the slide into administration.

Disclaimer: I would like to also state that for various reasons, I wanted shot of Lowe too and absolutely hated the snooty nosed c*nt.

For what reasons?

( I do too think he was a c*nt, but not because of the way he managed SFC's finances )

klingons, north london yobbos, waving a letter by iwelumo, portvliet, wotte, grey, wigley, sturrock, relegation, relegation, delgado, asking sturrock for CL football, SCW, simonm clifford, RL tracksuit

I do accept he did some good things, BUT IMO they were all before he got too big for himself

lowe was a complete idiot after 2003...a complete ****

He brought in Redknapp when we all thought that was the right move. He brought in Burley when he was one of the brightest young managers around. He came back when the club was in a major mess and tried something which possibly bougyt us some time but ultimately failed. Unlike you, I don't know what went on the Boardroom, but I do know that the club was in serious financial difficulties. Even Lowe's biggest critic, (FF) said that Lowe said he didn't know where the next pound was coming from. Was that his fault or the way the league is structured, players stupid wages etc? Even the mighty Simon Jordan could manage Palace's finances for all his smug slagging of SFC under Lowe.

If ML decides to pull the plug and Cortese was to stay, it would be interesting to see how he could cope with a very tight budget.

Success and failure is ultimately black and white SOG, and it didnt get much blacker than Lowe's effort; relegating with a youth side of League 2 standard at best, before Barclays finally had enough of the so-called financial genious.

Lowe's heart was in the right place, I've no doubts about that. But, he lacked ability. Facts would seem to prove that. NC may be arrogant and driven, and I agree we need to watch him for this, but so far so good. If he sees us promote - and I believe he will based on all evidence to date (something Lowe never managed or ever looked like managing) - then frankly I don't care if he requires a red carpet from the entrance of SMS to his car parking space.

I want success and have never had time for fools... NC is no fool. His arrogance is based on his drive for success and a self-confidence to achieve it. Lowe's arrogance was based on his overwhelming support from the majority shareholders... all of whom took but never gave back to the club. NC still has the fans on-side as he is delivering success. If that stops then I expect our owner will find someone else to run his club.

klingons, north london yobbos, waving a letter by iwelumo, portvliet, wotte, grey, wigley, sturrock, relegation, relegation, delgado, asking sturrock for CL football, SCW, simonm clifford, RL tracksuit

I do accept he did some good things, BUT IMO they were all before he got too big for himself

"Too big for himself" and would you say that Nicola Cortese was a shrinking violet from what we know of him so far ;)

I have worked with lots of CEOs and they have all made a point of being friendly and approachable to "lesser" staff. Apparently you are not allowed to address this mighty being unless he addresses you first. Sounds like criticism levelled at anyone else you know?

"Too big for himself" and would you say that Nicola Cortese was a shrinking violet from what we know of him so far ;)

I have worked with lots of CEOs and they have all made a point of being friendly and approachable to "lesser" staff. Apparently you are not allowed to address this mighty being unless he addresses you first. Sounds like criticism levelled at anyone else you know?

All the CEO's i've worked for have been as you describe.

Let's clear one thing up... the only thing Lowe can be guilty of is running too tight a ship, maybe not having the ambition and not taking a punt and borrowing money, incompetent at running 'the business' he was most definately not.

It's amusing that you lot advocate Cortese raising charges left, right and centre to try and maximise income, yet Lowe ran SFC as a self-sufficiant business and he was wrong for doing so?

We didn't have a god given right to stay in the Premiership, we were always going to get relegated at some point. And it was Wilde and Crouch's gamble spending money to get us in the play-offs which backfired and started the slide into administration.

Disclaimer: I would like to also state that for various reasons, I wanted shot of Lowe too and absolutely hated the snooty nosed c*nt.

So that's 3 things not one? ;)

I think he was poor at running the business too, it's not often a Bank pulls its backing for a decent chairman.

We had every right to stay in the Premiership and probably would have if Lowe had been able to keep some consistency with his managers; but then he sacked a couple and the rest decided not to work for him any longer, wonder why?

Concur over Wilde and Crouch's gamble, but at least we had some optimism and by goodness we came close to be fair to them. Ironically, it did put the first nail in the Lowe coffin as a result.

Apparently

I think we need to accept Nicola is going to have to do & say things we dont like & at times we will resent him .. BUT if he's doing the job of what he promised ??

& what would you rather just out of interest? We could of been save by someone else your right .. most likely ( guessing again) with the money to buy club & perhaps a player or 2 but enough for us to really be going somewhere?

I have listened to what people on here have said, I try to coz I dont argue to win I argue because I think or thought I was right .. Some on here seem to find it hard to climb down no matter what is said ..

I dont agree with what choices have happened re ST & I dont agree with half season tickets removed, however at end of day club IS going in direction we all want & I want to be there so I will put up & shut up & take the hit.. as many will

Success and failure is ultimately black and white SOG, and it didnt get much blacker than Lowe's effort; relegating with a youth side of League 2 standard at best, before Barclays finally had enough of the so-called financial genious.

Lowe's heart was in the right place, I've no doubts about that. But, he lacked ability. Facts would seem to prove that. NC may be arrogant and driven, and I agree we need to watch him for this, but so far so good. If he sees us promote - and I believe he will based on all evidence to date (something Lowe never managed or ever looked like managing) - then frankly I don't care if he requires a red carpet from the entrance of SMS to his car parking space.

I want success and have never had time for fools... NC is no fool. His arrogance is based on his drive for success and a self-confidence to achieve it. Lowe's arrogance was based on his overwhelming support from the majority shareholders... all of whom took but never gave back to the club. NC still has the fans on-side as he is delivering success. If that stops then I expect our owner will find someone else to run his club.

Perhaps we were relegated with that squad because that is all we could afford? Perhaps we would have gone into administration, even liquidation, way before if measues hadn't been taken to cut costs and to keep the club afloat a bit longer? From what i heard at the time Lowe was brought in to try and sort out the mess left by Wilde and Crouch. I don't know if he considers himslef a financial genious or not, but he certainly did a better job than the other clowns, no matter how fine their motives. Even with the relegation clauses this club was hamstrung by relegation from the Premiership in the same way that the Norwichs and Leeds were - clubs that Lowe had nothing to do with). For a number of years he did manahe to keep the wolf from the door and we even had some relative success, but ultimately the lack of real financial cout did for us, as it does for three clubs every season.

We all agree that Lowe had many faults, but as many CEOs find, you can only keep the plates spinning for so long before they come crashing down if you don't have the money to sustain your ambitions.

Anyway, not getting into this debate anymore. It's a non-debate. NC has thus far been successful and if he fails our owner will sack him. Lowe wouldnt go until the Bank finally decided enough was enough and thankfully killed the plc that was sending us to League 2.

Frankly, NC is an employee and if he's the foil for a friendly and supportive owner, I am not worried.

Onwards and upwards! :)

Apparently

I think we need to accept Nicola is going to have to do & say things we dont like & at times we will resent him .. BUT if he's doing the job of what he promised ??

& what would you rather just out of interest? We could of been save by someone else your right .. most likely ( guessing again) with the money to buy club & perhaps a player or 2 but enough for us to really be going somewhere?

I have listened to what people on here have said, I try to coz I dont argue to win I argue because I think or thought I was right .. Some on here seem to find it hard to climb down no matter what is said ..

I dont agree with what choices have happened re ST & I dont agree with half season tickets removed, however at end of day club IS going in direction we all want & I want to be there so I will put up & shut up & take the hit.. as many will

I totally agree that it is not a popularity competion. What I find hard to fathom is that when Lowe made "unpopular" decisions it was witch hunt time, but when someone else does it, it is okay?

As I said before, if Cortese delivers the goods, fair enough. But even when Lowe was delivering the goods (ie continued life in the Prem) he was constanstly slagged off.

Double standards.

Perhaps we were relegated with that squad because that is all we could afford? Perhaps we would have gone into administration, even liquidation, way before if measues hadn't been taken to cut costs and to keep the club afloat a bit longer? From what i heard at the time Lowe was brought in to try and sort out the mess left by Wilde and Crouch. I don't know if he considers himslef a financial genious or not, but he certainly did a better job than the other clowns, no matter how fine their motives. Even with the relegation clauses this club was hamstrung by relegation from the Premiership in the same way that the Norwichs and Leeds were - clubs that Lowe had nothing to do with). For a number of years he did manahe to keep the wolf from the door and we even had some relative success, but ultimately the lack of real financial cout did for us, as it does for three clubs every season.

We all agree that Lowe had many faults, but as many CEOs find, you can only keep the plates spinning for so long before they come crashing down if you don't have the money to sustain your ambitions.

BUT because of what happened, the way he treated many fans & somes perspective they are now after the event very unlikely to change opinion of him. Most will of made there mind up year ago if not longer, to keep raking it up is not helping even if you do feel what you do about NC surly you can see the general direction we are going is better?

Exactly, the footballing side of things he was a disaster and a complete ****

As far as running a business went, he was very astute and we would never have been at St Marys without him, as much as a bitter pill to swallow that is, it's the truth.

One point in that though... I know he pushed ahead and signed Delgado without consulting a manager... and it proved a disaster, for reasons not to do with football... Delgado was WORLD CLASS though and had he not been such a girl, he would have set the Premiership alight.

Which relegation was that under Lowe?

Would we have stayed in the CCC (or out of admin) if he hadn't had come back?

Who knows? But we were totally screwed financially the season before last and in big trouble, Lowe or no Lowe.

I totally agree that it is not a popularity competion. What I find hard to fathom is that when Lowe made "unpopular" decisions it was witch hunt time, but when someone else does it, it is okay?

As I said before, if Cortese delivers the goods, fair enough. But even when Lowe was delivering the goods (ie continued life in the Prem) he was constanstly slagged off.

Double standards.

You answer your own critism here really

it's not double standards .. it might of been a witch hunt because very few had faith that LOWE could leed us anywhere useful & had seen the mistakes he made & felt they had a BIG contriburty factor in Prem relegation?

where as so far Nicola contrabution got us a cup & 7th place after a 10 point deduction with what we started with .. a crap squad?

Can you seriously say you could see LOWE breaking his strict wage structures & spending to try & take us up last season? ( as it happens he couldnt.. but if he could do you think he would have?)

BUT because of what happened, the way he treated many fans & somes perspective they are now after the event very unlikely to change opinion of him. Most will of made there mind up year ago if not longer, to keep raking it up is not helping even if you do feel what you do about NC surly you can see the general direction we are going is better?

The direction is undoubtably better. No complaints there. My main worry is that Cortese, like Lowe, is not a football man. I don't think he has 100% faith in Pardew but hope I am wrong. I would be happier if I felt that he supported his manager and left him to do his job. The few commest he uttered last season make me think that he is another CEO of a football club who can only run thinsg by a business model. Every seaosn clubs spend money and don't get a return. We have proved that you can spend £3m and not buy promotion. There is so much more to what goes on on a football pitch than can be dictated by cash and I hope that is a lesson well learned by Cortese last season.

You answer your own critism here really

it's not double standards .. it might of been a witch hunt because very few had faith that LOWE could leed us anywhere useful & had seen the mistakes he made & felt they had a BIG contriburty factor in Prem relegation?

where as so far Nicola contrabution got us a cup & 7th place after a 10 point deduction with what we started with .. a crap squad?

Can you seriously say you could see LOWE breaking his strict wage structures & spending to try & take us up last season? ( as it happens he couldnt.. but if he could do you think he would have?)

I think that Lowe was a pragmatist and did what he could do with what he had. Don't forget that some of our best players were "cheap". He even told Strachan that he couldn't have the keeper he wanted and brought in Niemi instead, not a bad move.

He brought in Redkapp, probably against his better judgement and gave him £6m to spend to keep us up - a fortune in Saints terms.

Cortese is working in a complelty different situation and can do things that Lowe would not have been able to do...but I tell you what...I bet he still keeps a very tight hold on expenditure. Look at the players were are being linked with this summer...3rd Divison players...

It's another thing to release a statement about the sponsorship which is a lie...

Seriously, I am off to bed now and staying off the forum tommorow, I do feel for you if you think thinks are as rosy as you say. I am not saying they are bad... but Liebherr is not just throwing money at us willy nilly!

see your accuracy has not improved today;) what's that 13 posts today and still on?

Maybe, just maybe its you lying not Cortesse?

The direction is undoubtably better. No complaints there. My main worry is that Cortese, like Lowe, is not a football man. I don't think he has 100% faith in Pardew but hope I am wrong. I would be happier if I felt that he supported his manager and left him to do his job. The few commest he uttered last season make me think that he is another CEO of a football club who can only run thinsg by a business model. Every seaosn clubs spend money and don't get a return. We have proved that you can spend £3m and not buy promotion. There is so much more to what goes on on a football pitch than can be dictated by cash and I hope that is a lesson well learned by Cortese last season.

I think that's all fair comment.

Beauty of NC is that he can be sacked as soon as he starts to fail. The problem with Lowe (which was partly due to the nature of the plc we'd established and the fact he was an influential shareholder) is that he kept coming back. Even when he'd failed before his ego insisted on prolonging the pain. Lowe didn't mean to relegate us two leagues but he certainly lacked the talent to prevent it.

Look at the players were are being linked with this summer...3rd Divison players...

To be fair we are a third division club so even if we wanted better players, and were prepared to pay the going rate or even a bit more, most would still prefer to play for a club in a higher division.