Reply from David Luker re installment plan

Huffton

so you are telling us that last season, instead of buying a season ticket and effectively paying £12.50 for each ticket (£288/23 games) you spent £24 a ticket x 21 games (=£504), and this season you intend to spend £24+£3 booking fee x 21 games (£567) rather than £328?

Oh and you think those that can't find the money up front for a ST should follow your lead?

`Greek' might be a more appropriate username than Turkish.

Where have i said people should follow my lead? I do it that way because i chose too. I hardly missed a home game last season and didn't have a season ticket because i chose not to have one. Whats the drama with that? If people are "geniune fans" then they will still go, but they have to do it game by game if they cant afford to get a season ticket.

i agree and it was great to see the unity of saints fans last season, i cannot fathom this out surely they can carry on this season and start this new policy next season.

and has for credit(cards) i think that sort of attitude got this country in a mess in the first place and why lieberr likes to live within his means with his companys.

So buying on the 'never never' with SFC is ok but buying on a 0% credit card and ditching it afterwards is the root of all evil - I don't follow the logic here. Just cut the card up when you have finished paying for the tickets or even the day you buy the tickets - it makes no difference -simples.

Where have i said people should follow my lead? I do it that way because i chose too. I hardly missed a home game last season and didn't have a season ticket because i chose not to have one. Whats the drama with that? If people are "geniune fans" then they will still go, but they have to do it game by game if they cant afford to get a season ticket.

I think you missed my point. By buying tickets on a game by game basis you ended up paying well over the odds (by going to every game) compared to buying a season ticket.

If you are saying that former season ticket holders that previously paid by direct debit should just suck it up and buy as many individual tickets as they can afford, then fine, but last season they saw 23 games, this season they would see 15. Genuine fans are genuinely worse off.

Why can't the club just sell quarterly STs - perhaps sell them at the same per match rate as ST tickets or slightly higher with an option to keep the same seat the next period. The club doesn't assume any risk - while fans only have to stump a quarter of a ST every two+ months rather than everything at once. Not as good as an installment plan but better than nothing.

I think you missed my point. By buying tickets on a game by game basis you ended up paying well over the odds (by going to every game) compared to buying a season ticket.

If you are saying that former season ticket holders that previously paid by direct debit should just suck it up and buy as many individual tickets as they can afford, then fine, but last season they saw 23 games, this season they would see 15. Genuine fans are genuinely worse off.

Depends what you mean by "worse off"....if the extra cash helps our push for promotion (by financing the wages of an extra player for example) then, yes, said fans are "worse off" on a pure financial level but, on an emotional level, their lives are richer through improved performance of 'their' club....

I think no one minds paying a bit more, no one expects Leibherr to pay millions whilst we balk at paying an extra £50 a year. What annoys people is the way the club have just thrust these changes on us with no warning.

The £3 surcharge is just the icing on the cake and just hammers those people who've been hit by the removal of the installment plan, even more...

The point here is that I doubt anyone who is complaining on here is complaining about a price increase, it's the way they've feel abandoned and ignored. It's as if they just don't care...

"Can't afford £323 in one go? Tough. Oh, and can you pay an extra £3 ticket as well please?"

ML has been great .. but NC? just what move has he made that’s been so great?

ok to be fair it was him that attracted ML in but alienating & dividing the fan base is what made things difficult for Lowe ...

Some of the way this has been handled is poor & has implications for what will happen when we actually have success coz as many of you pointed out we haven’t yet.

Yes fans will come out the woodwork, The JPT taught them this & in a way it may of been our downfall in a way?

It's a shame though that those who moan about it for all are critised for it..

because these are big increases with taxed ticketing which if it works I can see eventually effecting all of you .. What an earth are they going to add on when we get promoted to championship?

this is a recession ... next time round recession over & maybe promoted .. and then an increase of 120? 150? 170? who knows.. if you have that sort of money to throw around & cant see how people buying ST for 4 or + people .. lucky you...

It's interesting to see that some of the people who are blindly following Cortese are same posters who very smugly turned on people who looked to Michael Wilde as being a possible saviour. There is no doubt that Leibherr and Cortese saved this club but that doesn't mean they're above criticism.

The way people fawned over Cortese's public statement was embarrassing, especially the way they justified his silence over Pardew.

Had Lowe been responsible for this **** up then people would be all over it like a rash, but because it's Cortese we have the unbelievable sight of fans turning on fans, slagging them off because they don't have £323 spare after being assured by the club, via their own charter, that payment options would be available. We have fans criticising other fans saying why should the club offer fans free credit whilst completely forgetting that season tickets are fans PAYING FOR GAMES IN ADVANCE. Even with installments, you've paid up by December and are therefore paying in advance by January which is the absolute opposite of credit...

Yes we're all extremely grateful for Cortese, yes we don't mind paying extra but no we don't like the arrogance of the club in regards to all of this and no we should never be afraid of criticising the club if it does something wrong...

And this is wrong...

its simple.

Cortesse's job - sole job - is to make the club successful, not to keep certain groups of fans happy although that assists and is a balancing act.

At the moment the club has moved in the right direction continuously since he has been here, albeit only a year. If that changes, or people lose confidence that it will continue, then more will turn against him.

I don't care what an executive of the club is like - as long as the club is heading in the right direction. This club has had far too much emphasis on the boardroom.

It's interesting to see that some of the people who are blindly following Cortese are same posters who very smugly turned on people who looked to Michael Wilde as being a possible saviour. There is no doubt that Leibherr and Cortese saved this club but that doesn't mean they're above criticism.

The way people fawned over Cortese's public statement was embarrassing, especially the way they justified his silence over Pardew.

Had Lowe been responsible for this **** up then people would be all over it like a rash, but because it's Cortese we have the unbelievable sight of fans turning on fans, slagging them off because they don't have £323 spare after being assured by the club, via their own charter, that payment options would be available. We have fans criticising other fans saying why should the club offer fans free credit whilst completely forgetting that season tickets are fans PAYING FOR GAMES IN ADVANCE. Even with installments, you've paid up by December and are therefore paying in advance by January which is the absolute opposite of credit...

Yes we're all extremely grateful for Cortese, yes we don't mind paying extra but no we don't like the arrogance of the club in regards to all of this and no we should never be afraid of criticising the club if it does something wrong...

And this is wrong...

Absolutely spot on though doubtless it'll not be long before the usual suspects turn up to criticise what is essentially an accurate summation of what has gone on. Why on earth people should be told to stop moaning and get a credit card beggars belief. Many people, myself included, despise credit cards. Maybe the sign of a slightly older generation but this buy now, pay later society we live in is one major reason this country is in such a mess. My Dad supported Saints for 65 years, always had a season ticket even when he and my Mum were no longer working. He knew what to expect, ie pay before the season and budgeted accordingly. No instalment plans were available so it was not an issue though I doubt he would have taken the option anyway. However, given that option was available but has been withdrawn at such short notice ( actually Cortese/the club treating the fans with contempt IMO) I can't fault anyone who was going to use that option but is now unhappy that they can't. A ridiculous decision and as Daren says one which would have had people calling for Lowe to be lynched if he had pulled something like this.

its simple.

Cortesse's job - sole job - is to make the club successful, not to keep certain groups of fans happy although that assists and is a balancing act.

Yes, heaven forbid the club would want to keep loyal fans happy though it's not at all clear what "certain groups of fans" refers to? Maybe the many who weren't born with a silver spoon in their mouth and actually have to work hard to make ends meet :smt102

its simple.

At the moment the club has moved in the right direction continuously since he has been here, albeit only a year. If that changes, or people lose confidence that it will continue, then more will turn against him.

I don't care what an executive of the club is like - as long as the club is heading in the right direction. This club has had far too much emphasis on the boardroom.

So you're saying his job is to make the club successful but where do the fans fit into this successful future? Are some of the people who supported this club through thick and thin expendable? Do we not care about them?

I'll say it again, if Lowe had pulled this stunt then people would be up in arms, why is it acceptable now? The answer is it, it isn't.

We're on a journey and I'm looking forward to next season, it's just a shame that some people are getting left behind purely because right now they can't afford it and because of that will be paying a lot more than everybody else.....

I think no one minds paying a bit more, no one expects Leibherr to pay millions whilst we balk at paying an extra £50 a year. What annoys people is the way the club have just thrust these changes on us with no warning.

The £3 surcharge is just the icing on the cake and just hammers those people who've been hit by the removal of the installment plan, even more...

The point here is that I doubt anyone who is complaining on here is complaining about a price increase, it's the way they've feel abandoned and ignored. It's as if they just don't care...

"Can't afford £323 in one go? Tough. Oh, and can you pay an extra £3 ticket as well please?"

I for one don't have a problem with my season ticket going up by £35, £288 was a steal last season. However, I do object to the way the club is treating fans with utter contempt by going against their own charter (and then claiming it was just for last season) with the removal of a payment plan, half season tickets and lack of consultation with fans. Once again we are back to being `customers' and as such I'll take my pre match pie business elsewhere. What else can I do?

If they wanted to increase revenue then a shirt sponsor would have been a start - we all now know that this `great celebration of our 125 years history' is being funded by fans adn not some wonderfukl gesture by the owner. Also why not charge £23 for single tickets instead fo £22, that way they could have upped the price to £23 for away fans as well. We have a situation now where away fans will buy for £22 and home fans will pay £25 if they can't get to the stadium and must incurr a bookign fee. Complete and utter madness.

I thought when we dropped to the third division the club would start treating us with respect.

Edited by Chez

So you're saying his job is to make the club successful but where do the fans fit into this successful future? Are some of the people who supported this club through thick and thin expendable? Do we not care about them?

I'll say it again, if Lowe had pulled this stunt then people would be up in arms, why is it acceptable now? The answer is it, it isn't.

We're on a journey and I'm looking forward to next season, it's just a shame that some people are getting left behind purely because right now they can't afford it and because of that will be paying a lot more than everybody else.....

the fans are part of the balancing act - but success on the pitch rather than popularity is surely his aim? And rightly so.

If we crowds go down etc that will impact on his aims, its a balancing act which is why we are better with a directed CEO rather than fans on the board.

the fans are part of the balancing act - but success on the pitch rather than popularity is surely his aim? And rightly so.

If we crowds go down etc that will impact on his aims, its a balancing act which is why we are better with a directed CEO rather than fans on the board.

Nick it's not about popularity or even having fans on the board (a massive mistake) it's about doing the right thing by the fee paying customers. What point is success on the pitch if a scetion of the fanbase isn't there to experience it.

Where does it say that we can't have sucsess on the pitch and off it? Where does it say it's either one or the other?

The club has managed to salvage defeat from the jaws of victory with a poorly thought ticketing scheme that has alienated a sizeable part of the fanbase...

Absolutely spot on though doubtless it'll not be long before the usual suspects turn up to criticise what is essentially an accurate summation of what has gone on. Why on earth people should be told to stop moaning and get a credit card beggars belief. Many people, myself included, despise credit cards. Maybe the sign of a slightly older generation but this buy now, pay later society we live in is one major reason this country is in such a mess. My Dad supported Saints for 65 years, always had a season ticket even when he and my Mum were no longer working. He knew what to expect, ie pay before the season and budgeted accordingly. No instalment plans were available so it was not an issue though I doubt he would have taken the option anyway. However, given that option was available but has been withdrawn at such short notice ( actually Cortese/the club treating the fans with contempt IMO) I can't fault anyone who was going to use that option but is now unhappy that they can't. A ridiculous decision and as Daren says one which would have had people calling for Lowe to be lynched if he had pulled something like this.

But you are advocating buy now pay later by signing up to an installment plan or have I missed the point (actually it was the fincancial sector making it too easy to borrow money that screwed the banking system rather than the credit cards themselves). As I said in an earlier message take the credit card get the ticket and then cut it up or can these terribly poor people not be trusted to do that....they might run up more debts? Mabye these poor people should stop smoking, cut down on the booze, spend less on christmas or just prioiritise what they spend money on. Anybody who cannot afford to buy a season ticket should mabye just consider staying away and listen to it on the radio (which is free) since money is so tight. I would think that in the great scheme of things SFC should probably be less important if you are that hard up you cannot afford a ST.

Lord almighty roll on the World Cup and the start of the new season so we can get back to football instead of innane twaddle about payment plans.....BTW SFC is a commercial business as well not a charity.

But you are advocating buy now pay later by signing up to an installment plan or have I missed the point (actually it was the fincancial sector making it too easy to borrow money that screwed the banking system rather than the credit cards themselves). As I said in an earlier message take the credit card get the ticket and then cut it up or can these terribly poor people not be trusted to do that....they might run up more debts? Mabye these poor people should stop smoking, cut down on the booze, spend less on christmas or just prioiritise what they spend money on. Anybody who cannot afford to buy a season ticket should mabye just consider staying away and listen to it on the radio (which is free) since money is so tight. I would think that in the great scheme of things SFC should probably be less important if you are that hard up you cannot afford a ST.

Lord almighty roll on the World Cup and the start of the new season so we can get back to football instead of innane twaddle about payment plans.....BTW SFC is a commercial business as well not a charity.

Your missing the point.

It's this narrow vision the club & those at top are relying on, so well done

Your ignorance to those who cant afford the season ticket with no prewarning ( in many cases needing 3 or 4 ST's ) is amazing, but if it bothers you just ignore the thread instead of insulting people .

Your missing the point.

It's this narrow vision the club & those at top are relying on, so well done

Your ignorance to those who cant afford the season ticket with no prewarning ( in many cases needing 3 or 4 ST's ) is amazing, but if it bothers you just ignore the thread instead of insulting people .

It is not a narrow vision - if people are seriosuly stretching themselves to buy a ST my advice is don't do it - why spend that sort of money if you don't have it. Jez it's not hard. PS Ignore that if you wish.

It is not a narrow vision - if people are seriosuly stretching themselves to buy a ST my advice is don't do it - why spend that sort of money if you don't have it. Jez it's not hard. PS Ignore that if you wish.

It's the idea of spending money you don't have that's actually got this country into so much crap. This culture of buy now pay later rather then save up and only buy when you can really is bloody damaging.

It's the idea of spending money you don't have that's actually got this country into so much crap. This culture of buy now pay later rather then save up and only buy when you can really is bloody damaging.

I agree but the point is that people were not given the opportunity to save as it was understandably presumed, with the assistance of the last published Supporter's Charter, that the instalment plan would still be in place. Had the club come out early in the year and told everybody that it was being withdrawn then there would arguably be no issue now as people would have had the opportunity to save.

I agree but the point is that people were not given the opportunity to save as it was understandably presumed, with the assistance of the last published Supporter's Charter, that the instalment plan would still be in place. Had the club come out early in the year and told everybody that it was being withdrawn then there would arguably be no issue now as people would have had the opportunity to save.

Indeed. I personally have strong feelings about the debt-based economy the world seems to rely on and feel that financial reform is long overdue, however any transition, be it global, or just this removal of an instalment plan, cannot happen overnight, and it needs planning and communication...

The club could've helped fans with the transition, given notice, even provided alternative interim options, but instead we are left with the impression that they don't care...

people can save from 3 (monthly) paydays...or even 4 if they are willing to wait till the end of august.

dear god...

Er, I presume you missed the bit in the pricing policy article on the OS which stated that the last time for ANYONE to buy a season ticket is the day before the start of the season, August 6th?

Also, given that we're in June, how do you suggest people save from three monthly paydays, let alone four, in that time?

June, July, August if you're lucky enough to be paid on or before the 6th of every month...

Er, I presume you missed the bit in the pricing policy article on the OS which stated that the last time for ANYONE to buy a season ticket is the day before the start of the season, August 6th?

Also, given that we're in June, how do you suggest people save from three monthly paydays, let alone four, in that time?

June, July, August if you're lucky enough to be paid on or before the 6th of every month...

we got told about ST prices june 1st....for most I reckon had just got paid..litterally...then you have END of june..then end of july..

3 paydays if you are carefull

I've never been able to justify the cost of a season ticket (against other family expenditure) and therefore I've never bought one.

Why do others who can't afford one appear to assume they have a right to be able to do so?

3 paydays if you are carefull

And what if, like many people, you have already planned your budget, based around instalments? What if you physically cannot save more than you've budgeted because of all your other expenses?

Frankly, NO ONE is qualified to comment on anyone elses financial situation. I am certain there are some who are complaining about this decision, who wasteful with their money and who with better financial plannign, could afford to get a ST still. Probably the same people who complain about affording food but blow £40+ on Sky each month...

But equally, I know there genuinely are many more who've budgeted for the instalment plan, and now face being unable to get a ST as a result.

It is for each individual to decide the position they are in. I just think it is a poor decision to revoke this option at short notice and with poor explanation, thus denying many the chance to get a season ticket.

I've never been able to justify the cost of a season ticket (against other family expenditure) and therefore I've never bought one.

Why do others who can't afford one appear to assume they have a right to be able to do so?

They could before though on the previous 'pay on tick' terms.

I totally disagree with that form of financing, but I can understand the frustration in it no longer being available.

Did you only digest the parts of my post that suited you ? It is clear from the whole post that as a general principle I am against buying now and paying later. However, the Instalment plan was clearly an option that many needed if they were to buy a ST which would actually allow them to enjoy watching Saints over a 9 month period and pay in full long before that as opposed to say using a credit card to buy a new TV for £1000 simply because they had a large enough credit limit to do so. This Instalment plan could have been phased out this season so fans knew exactly what to expect next season and planned accordingly. Not a great deal to ask IMO and no the discussion about Instalment plans is not INANE, if you think that why bother to post?

Edited by chrisobee

they dont!

thats not what's been said or implied & the overall cost isnt the issue

I am fortunate that I CAN afford a ST in one hit, but I do think that Mr Cortese MAY catch a cold in this way ...

23 Home League games .... If you have a ST, you go

If you DON'T have a ST, then you pick out what are most likely to be the Good games .... say 16 ??? .... and you go to those

So, however many it may be, the Club will "lose" those revenues throughout the season

Mind you, I expect Cortese has factored that in:D:cool:

stretching themselfs this MONTH ...but as I keep saying thats NOT the point I made that you keep missing because your too busy justifying to prove your right

OK OK lets not buy the season ticket .. the clubs removed instalment plan .. lets get the half season ticket ( as when this news come out lets be fair most's budgets had been set ) Oh .. we can't this has been removed too ..

WHY

because they rather NOT the season ticket holder so they can charge the "tax"

I am fortunate that I CAN afford a ST in one hit, but I do think that Mr Cortese MAY catch a cold in this way ...

23 Home League games .... If you have a ST, you go

If you DON'T have a ST, then you pick out what are most likely to be the Good games .... say 16 ??? .... and you go to those

So, however many it may be, the Club will "lose" those revenues throughout the season

Mind you, I expect Cortese has factored that in:D:cool:

Yes to be fair to him I think he has, & i think he has worked the maths pretty close, so that as a season we will have more revenue .. BUT this is football .. IF wo behold we are NOT 1st or 2nd this move will prove to be a classic own goal

we MIGHT start the season against the 10 hardest teams 6 which may be away ... teams could start with their set of easier fixtures and we could just start poorly .. these things DO effect attendences always have ( well accept at the dell lol)

I bet come xmas & IF the dreaded happens & we are say 9th? 8th? the half season ticket is offerd again ..

I dont think NC is bad for the club, but I do think he has been advised poorly or has ignored advise given him re attendences & pricing & ST & half ST & why remove the st after the 6th? for one game being played? one less game? Oh do wake up & smell the coffee ..

They could before though on the previous 'pay on tick' terms.

I work to an annual household budget so have not been able to justify the expenditure on either basis (i.e. Upfront or installments)

I don't have a 'leisure expenditure' budget per se. I simply spend any surplus from my monthly expenditure on non-essentials such as attending football matches, cinema, takeaways, etc

And this is wrong...

Never mind Wilde, I can still remember those that fawned over Astride Gibbons. That one seems to have slipped to the back.

I don't totally agree with what is happening at the present, but in the grand scheme of things as a supporter , it's a pimple on an elephants arse. For this hassle, just look what we are getting in return. Who would have dreamed to be in the position we are, after everything that happened. And what's the downside? A serious grip on reality is required!

people can save from 3 (monthly) paydays...or even 4 if they are willing to wait till the end of august.

dear god...

Actually no... If you haven't paid by 6th of August you cannot have a season ticket. I get paid on the 15th so it's game by game for me...

So buying on the 'never never' with SFC is ok but buying on a 0% credit card and ditching it afterwards is the root of all evil - I don't follow the logic here. Just cut the card up when you have finished paying for the tickets or even the day you buy the tickets - it makes no difference -simples.

buying on the never never? rofl to be fair they had nearly a year to sort this & could of either a) let ppl know by xmas this was being withdrawn b) put it in place by march c) compromised & left the half season ticket in place

MOST other clubs have the same facility & its paid off before you start to use it .. bit like buying a sofa before it arrives

Never mind Wilde, I can still remember those that fawned over Astride Gibbons. That one seems to have slipped to the back.

I don't totally agree with what is happening at the present, but in the grand scheme of things as a supporter , it's a pimple on an elephants arse. For this hassle, just look what we are getting in return. Who would have dreamed to be in the position we are, after everything that happened. And what's the downside? A serious grip on reality is required!

Ok yes have to conceed that one. your right . :) but we are only voicing our opinion but having said that yes your right here.

As posted on other threads, Mr Luker's response on behalf of the club - all mass hysteria aside - is unacceptable and I have written to him privately to ask him to reconsider the instalment plan or offer some other deferred payment credit card scheme.

• 3 weeks later...

How many times do we have to answer this before some of you actually hear it?

Every existing season ticket holder could of afforded a ticket this time if WE'D BEEN TOLD EARLIER!!!

If they'd told me in April that I had till the end of June to re-new my 2 season tickets I'd of saved for them, I wasn't told. so I haven't and the club have lost 2 season ticket holders, mine held for 21 years. what great customer appreciation!!!

Ps. talking about interest free credit, is it not us season ticket holders that actually give the club credit by paying a year up front???

What disappoints me most reading through some of this thread is how many saints fans seem to enjoy gloating at others and patronisingly telling them 'not to get one if you can't afford it'. Fans contribute more to supporting a team than just money, and we would benefit far more from a full house and intimidating atmosphere than a few extra quid from the ticket tax. Saints should ensure a certain percentage of tickets are kept at affordable prices to ensure to core support who have followed the club down the years an still attend, installment plans was a good way of doing this. If our attendances drop it will be to the detriment of our club and ruin what was already a declining match day atmosphere.