Reply from David Luker re installment plan

Huffton

Interesting inability to distinguish between success on the pitch with success as a business there. I'm expecting Saints to win a lot of games, but it won't mean all that much to me if I've been price-planned or Cortese Taxed out of seeing it...

Interesting inability to realise that success as a business is reliant on success on the pitch. They are one and the same. The more successful we are, the more people will want to watch us play, the more sponsorship money we receive, and so more money to build future success.

Do you wake up with a smile on your face when it's bad weather so you have something to complain about?

Unsurprising; just a shame that instead of finding a more secure way to make sure this can't happen again the club has decided to scrap it altogether.

Dav it's so easy to police -

1st payment - April 1st

2nd payment - May 1st

3rd payment - June 1st

4th payment - July 1st

5th payment - August 1st

All payments cleared, post season ticket August 2nd ready for August 7th ko!!!!

Ain't really that hard!!!!!

Not if we're top of the league there won't. Plenty of fans will come out of the woodwork.

When we've won the division, I hope all of you moaners have the balls to admit how fantastic Cortese will have been for the business.

Why are we all wrong to question the club? I'm not moaning for moaning sake, I've had a season ticket for 20 years, as far back as I can remember, probably the year I purchased the last dell and first SMS I've used the payment plan. The payment plan formed part of the 'supporters charter' I was obviously going to renew my 2 season tickets this year via the payment plan, I now can't as this facility has been withdrawn, with no notice!

Why can you not see there is a problem here? I'm not asking for anything special, just what I've been offered the last 10 years or so, if that isn't now forming part of the Supporters charter adequate notice is the least a paying customer deserves in order to make alternative arrangements, no??? How ******ed off would you be if Southampton city council released a statement next April saying they wanted all the council tax paid by the end of the month??

Why are we all wrong to question the club? I'm not moaning for moaning sake, I've had a season ticket for 20 years, as far back as I can remember, probably the year I purchased the last dell and first SMS I've used the payment plan. The payment plan formed part of the 'supporters charter' I was obviously going to renew my 2 season tickets this year via the payment plan, I now can't as this facility has been withdrawn, with no notice!

Why can you not see there is a problem here? I'm not asking for anything special, just what I've been offered the last 10 years or so, if that isn't now forming part of the Supporters charter adequate notice is the least a paying customer deserves in order to make alternative arrangements, no??? How ******ed off would you be if Southampton city council released a statement next April saying they wanted all the council tax paid by the end of the month??

I agree. But fair enough, policies change and a charter should be updated. Shouldn't it?

I mean, what sort of idiot would expect a charter to be "set in stone"?

Answer - SFC.

This from the Supporters' Services page of the web site.

The Supporter Charter is certainly one of the more ambitious within Football and is the Club setting in stone what each supporter can expect from their club, and what they can do if they have an issue, a complaint or just feedback...

Perhaps this is a particularly malleable stone - chalk perhaps?

Or perhaps the charter is setting things in stone, but just for a year - or 6 months or until it suits the club to change the things that were expected to be set in stone.

Pretty poor PR to be honest.

Or perhaps the charter is setting things in stone, but just for a year - or 6 months or until it suits the club to change the things that were expected to be set in stone.

Pretty poor PR to be honest.

here's your answer -

Dear Jason

The Supporter Charter relates to the 09-10 season, whereas the prices released relate to the 10-11 season.

The Club has decided against offering an installment payment option this year due to the increased costs of administering such a scheme.

We hope this answers your query.

Kind Regards

David Luker

Head of Supporter Services

Southampton Football Club

How ******ed off would you be if Southampton city council released a statement next April saying they wanted all the council tax paid by the end of the month??

Obviously massively annoyed but then I don't have any choice about paying my council tax and people would en masse refuse to pay it with damaging financial consequences for the local authority.

In this case the difference is:

1) you have a choice

2) the club has obviously decided that it will not suffer as a result of this decision

No payment plan = a bit annoying. We get it.

Obviously massively annoyed but then I don't have any choice about paying my council tax and people would en masse refuse to pay it with damaging financial consequences for the local authority.

In this case the difference is:

1) you have a choice

2) the club has obviously decided that it will not suffer as a result of this decision

No payment plan = a bit annoying. We get it.

Its not so much the plan itself, just advise me that its being withdrawn, I can save, purchase and carry on supporting the team I love!

Its not so much the plan itself, just advise me that its being withdrawn, I can save, purchase and carry on supporting the team I love!

Yeah, I get the notice point too and unless there is a good reason why this couldn't be announced earlier it does seem kind of valid.

It would be nice to have a fuller explanation of what the process behind the decision was.

Yeah, I get the notice point too and unless there is a good reason why this couldn't be announced earlier it does seem kind of valid.

It would be nice to have a fuller explanation of what the process behind the decision was.

That's all mate, because of the way the business is now being run they have lost 2 loyal customers!

That's all mate, because of the way the business is now being run they have lost 2 loyal customers!

Be very careful how you use the word LOYAL! If you are now not going to attend games then you are not LOYAL. If however you will attend but just on a game by game basis then yes you are LOYAL!

You decide!

Be very careful how you use the word LOYAL! If you are now not going to attend games then you are not LOYAL. If however you will attend but just on a game by game basis then yes you are LOYAL!

You decide!

Technically if he goes but not as much as he would do had he got a season ticket, then he would still be loyal, just slightly less loyal. He says pedantically :).

You decide!

I've been a season ticket holder for 21 years, I'd say that was loyal. My social life, holidays, events are scheduled around Saints, I'd say that was loyal. Where is Saints loyalty to me?

I'm not saying I won't attend games next year, I will, but and it's a huge but, I won't be going to nowhere near as many as I would with a season ticket. There will be games, times, weather where I'll "i'll give that one a miss"! I've seen it happen loads of times to mates, they gave up tickets and said they'd still go, but would select games, they went to fewer and fewer, you get out of the habit!

lots of our kids will not be going because they have been unable to go with their dads. They will never get into the habit of loving as we do and Jason my three ST's makes it 5 uunable to make it.

My 6 yo gets enough stick now for supporting our team. How long will he do it now when he is verbally abused by all of the Utd,Pool,Chelski,spurs and City fans etc not forgetting the gooners. They are on telly every other week at least while we are maybe 2 or 3 times in a year if lucky.

lots of fans fall by the wayside, its the way of the world, hopefully more will keep coming - particularly if we win this league.

No one will fall by the wayside, they'll just go a game at a time...

I'm not fussed myself, I wanted to sit with my friends but as most of they were using the installment option and are going on holiday in June/July and can't afford nearly £400 in one hit, they'll be going a game at time too...

Actually I'll be better off as now I won't be going to evening games now. I work till eight so with my season ticket I'd miss the first half... Now I won't bother.

Actually I'll be better off as now I won't be going to evening games now. I work till eight so with my season ticket I'd miss the first half... Now I won't bother.

I will laugh if we get record low st marys attendances next season because it'll make Cortese look very naive.

Dav it's so easy to police -

1st payment - April 1st

2nd payment - May 1st

3rd payment - June 1st

4th payment - July 1st

5th payment - August 1st

All payments cleared, post season ticket August 2nd ready for August 7th ko!!!!

Ain't really that hard!!!!!

Jason, surely then as this is so easy, why not find a drawer and put each installment in it and forget it is there until you pay in august.

The club are not fans savings scheme. I think we are doing a lot of fans a disservice as Im sure most will have shrugged their shoulders and made alternative arrangements.

I will laugh if we get record low st marys attendances next season because it'll make Cortese look very naive.

I don't think this will happen.

As badly as the club have handled the PR of this whole exercise, the one thing Cortese does understand is the bottom line; profit.

Most people who really want a season ticket will find a way to get one. Investment in the team will mean that individual match tickets will be in demand. A good start to the season and all of this will be largely forgotten by most.

The club has handled this very poorly, but it has been taken as a business decision and I don't think it will affect the club in a major way.

Jason, surely then as this is so easy, why not find a drawer and put each installment in it and forget it is there until you pay in august.

The club are not fans savings scheme. I think we are doing a lot of fans a disservice as Im sure most will have shrugged their shoulders and made alternative arrangements.

Perhaps you could provide the time machine to go back to April 1st, but this time with the knowledge that fans actually need to save (rather than continue to use the instalment scheme as detailed in the club's customer charter).

All very good advice for next year, but too late to prepare for this year.

You decide!

So, being loyal in your eyes is down to whether or not you actually PAY to go to a game, or games ???

I know someone who has NEVER been to a game, but is Saints through and through, a LOYAL Supporter

Why ??? because the poor guy is incapacitated, and Physically CANNOT go to St Mary's ......but you would have to travel far to find a more passionate or Loyal Saints fan IMHO

Whether you see it or not,SOME people will NOT be able to afford ST's up front

They will most likely Pay on the day, BUT, they can now be selective, and pick the best matches

That means that SFC WILL lose out, because instead of "having" to go because you have already paid for you ST, you can decline to go for less appealing fixtures

So, where is the good business sense in that ???:cool:

I don't think this will happen.

As badly as the club have handled the PR of this whole exercise, the one thing Cortese does understand is the bottom line; profit.

Most people who really want a season ticket will find a way to get one. Investment in the team will mean that individual match tickets will be in demand. A good start to the season and all of this will be largely forgotten by most.

The club has handled this very poorly, but it has been taken as a business decision and I don't think it will affect the club in a major way.

I think it will because Saints historically had a high %age of st holders that travelled to SMS from outside the catchment area. Of these fans a high number missed the odd evening game. They will continue to miss them and some, but now they simply won't pay for a ticket wheras before they had already paid. I predict a sub 15,000 league gate next year and if and when this happens it'll be the fault of Cortese.

lots of fans fall by the wayside, its the way of the world, hopefully more will keep coming - particularly if we win this league.

There is a big difference between "falling by the wayside", and being FORCED to forego going to St Mary's because of (their) financial situation.

SFC is prepared to LOSE genuine Supporters, virtually because of a Means Test, and that is bad

Had the Club announced this in Feb or March, fine, but a few days ago ??

That is Krap No time whatsoever to make alternative financial plans

BAD PR by SFC, it simply shows they do NOT care about even a small section of the Fan Base:cool:

I think it will because Saints historically had a high %age of st holders that travelled to SMS from outside the catchment area. Of these fans a high number missed the odd evening game. They will continue to miss them and some, but now they simply won't pay for a ticket wheras before they had already paid. I predict a sub 15,000 league gate next year and if and when this happens it'll be the fault of Cortese.

Time will tell, but I disagree. Particularly if the team is doing well.

I think season tickets will be down on last year because of this issue, no doubt, but not by more than 1 or 2 thousand. And if the team are performing well from the outset that's a much bigger incentive to get down for games, which will in turn boost attendances.

Like it or not people will get used to the new charges, and will find ways to minimise the extra charges (buy 2 or 3 home tickets in one booking, buy multiple people's tickets in one booking etc). The odd 50p or quid here or there, while a bit frustrating now, won't put people off.

I'm sorry Nick but that is so ****ing condescending it's untrue...

Your solution is ... Put money under a mattress???

The club has torn up its own charter and reneged on promised payment options. That is why fans are up in arms, after having PROMISED payment options the club have basically used the fans charter to wipe their backsides with. Fans are now being asked to pay money they didn't expect to have to. It's not about poor money management or people lecturing others on the fine art of accountancy, the club had promised, via their own fans charter, that fans could pay in installments. They then reneged on that and gave fans no time at all to find the money to pay it. A month to find £320? Or, better still, if you haven't paid by 6th August you cannot have a season ticket...

In terms of customer service it's shocking...

The club is not a savings scheme? Neither are we. We are paying for games IN ADVANCE. We are not a saving scheme either. A lot of fans are now going to pay one game at a time...

There is a big difference between "falling by the wayside", and being FORCED to forego going to St Mary's because of (their) financial situation.

SFC is prepared to LOSE genuine Supporters, virtually because of a Means Test, and that is bad

BAD PR by SFC, it simply shows they do NOT care about even a small section of the Fan Base:cool:

but tickets are fairly priced.

I couldn't afford a season ticket few years ago. Didn't get one, went to several games and got one when could afford it a few years later. Suggest others do the same

This is histrionic nonsense. It has only been a few years that Saints have offered a payment plan. Prior to that, if you wanted a ST you either paid straight out for it, if you could afford it, or you didn`t have one. This didn`t effect attendances at all. To suddenly be up in arms and accuse the club of introducing a "Means test" is ludicrous. Go into John Lewis or any other retailer and buy a TV to watch the World Cup on and see if they will let you pay in 3 or 4 chunks oer the next 6 months and see if they`ll do it without signing up for an expensive credit agreement.. They might sell you a credit card to do it. Why should SFC, which is a business be any different?

I totally agree that the situation has been handled badly by the club, but some of the hysterical bleating on here over the last couple of day have been unbelievable.

Just athought, a worrying one for me personally.

What price can we expect the new Ale to cost?

Is he going to adopt the 'you asked for itm now pay up, drink up and shut up'.

I am cosidering kidnapping some expectant siungle mother from the Princess Anne labour ward and getting her to give birth in NC's office, thus ensuring I get a free ST for life, a signed new shirt and my own parking space...and free beer of course.

Come on Nicky baby, speak to us.

Your missing the point Jason made completly

& No one expects the club to be a saving scheme

BUT as pointed out WITH notification or forward planning both club & fan would be better off.

The ticket info COULD have been put forward earlier, people COULD have been given more time to adjust .. and as I keep saying the club COULD have kept the half season ticket .. so that those who this "shock" hit at most could of had a straw to cling to & got through for this year ..

If you really are a genuine supporter who cant afford to stump out xxxxx for a season ticket then you will simply not get a season ticket and go game by game, as I will do and have done for the last few seasons. I intended to get a season ticket this season, but due to no installment plan have chosen not too now and will continue to attend on a game by game basis only missing one or two a season as i have done since relegation.

I cant believe people are still whinging about installment plans and Cortese in general FFS.

Its a football club and if you want to watch games you either buy a season ticket or buy a ticket for each game that you want to go to. Who gives a toss who runs the club and whether they communicate with the fans on a dailly basis.

Surely the truly important thing is being able to get into a game and watching a winning team.

Ultimately those whio think attendances will be effected by the withdrawal of an installment plan are niave at best.

The only true thing that effects attendance is whether the team are matching the expectations of the fans. If we are top of the league it will be rammed if we are bottom it will be empty.

I don't see why the club could have released the info even a week earlier! I'm sure 90% of people get paid at the end of the month, so with that in mind at least we could have had 2 months worth of wages to see where to budget it in order to get a ticket.

I got paid 5 days before the information was released, and made a few purchases i could have gone without, had I known i needed to budget due to the club cancelling the payment plan! I'm now really going to have to scrape the bottom of the barrell in order to renew!

I don't think anyone has a major issue with the prices, just the timing of the anouncement, and no prior warning to the removal of the payment plan.

but tickets are fairly priced.

I couldn't afford a season ticket few years ago. Didn't get one, went to several games and got one when could afford it a few years later. Suggest others do the same

I agree, tickets ARE fairly priced, but that is not the issue

I don't think anyone thought that the Payments scheme, as acknowledged in the "Supporters Charter" was only going to last for a few MONTHS

So, the FIRST indication that that facet was being SCRAPPED, was a few days ago, when the ST prices were announced

Had the Club said, a FEW MONTHS back that for 2010 there would be no "Instalments" facility, then those fans going down that route would mody likely have started to put by some money towards a ST ... or ST's

I'm lucky, I only have me to worry about, and can afford to pay in one hit

But there ARE some, ie Family's that this will be a big hardship for, and it is those cases that the Club SHOULD listen to and LOOK AFTER AS LOYAL FANS:cool:

For a Family of 4, circa £1000 is a big hit all at once

To Cortese it is petty cash

Think again SFC, or you will lose GENUINE FANS:cool:

This is histrionic nonsense. It has only been a few years that Saints have offered a payment plan. Prior to that, if you wanted a ST you either paid straight out for it, if you could afford it, or you didn`t have one. This didn`t effect attendances at all. To suddenly be up in arms and accuse the club of introducing a "Means test" is ludicrous. Go into John Lewis or any other retailer and buy a TV to watch the World Cup on and see if they will let you pay in 3 or 4 chunks oer the next 6 months and see if they`ll do it without signing up for an expensive credit agreement.. They might sell you a credit card to do it. Why should SFC, which is a business be any different?

I totally agree that the situation has been handled badly by the club, but some of the hysterical bleating on here over the last couple of day have been unbelievable.

Agreed, many things used to happen .. but from what I have read I think people are just trying to express how this lack of notice to the change & the removal of the other option .. the half season ticket ..

why is it annoying so many that these fans express that ?

I dont want a credit card. Credit = Bad.

They'll give a 10,000 limit and the next thing you know you're are max'd out and in the sh1t.

I personally stay away from all forms of credit.

However, for personal cash flow reasons buy my season ticket on instalments.

I will now most likely just pay as/when i and my son go.

So 2 less tickets from here.

Agreed, many things used to happen .. but from what I have read I think people are just trying to express how this lack of notice to the change & the removal of the other option .. the half season ticket ..

Because I think the point has been made to death now. The lack of notice was poor but ultimately the decision has been made and that's that

Because I think the point has been made to death now. The lack of notice was poor but ultimately the decision has been made and that's that

Yjere is a definite "Gulf" now between Cortese and us FANS

I fully accept that SFC must be run as a Business .........

...... but NOT at all costs ( excuse pun)

The last thing I want to see is Saints becomming a SOULESS place

Don't alienate us too much Mr Cortese, this season we are not on the euphoric drug of having :cool:a New Owner

success as a business is reliant on success on the pitch. They are one and the same. The more successful we are, the more people will want to watch us play, the more sponsorship money we receive, and so more money to build future success.

Success as a business can be acheived despite a lack of success on the pitch - or as in this case, failure as a business can be achieved despite success on the pitch.

If the club doesn't perform on the pitch this season Cortese will have managed to lose supporters AND make less money, and even if they do perform there's still the possibility people will be disenchanted enough to not care to attend anyway.

There's an elasticity of demand for match tickets, and people are a LOT less content to stump up for any old rubbish in the lower leagues.

I agree, tickets ARE fairly priced, but that is not the issue

I don't think anyone thought that the Payments scheme, as acknowledged in the "Supporters Charter" was only going to last for a few MONTHS

So, the FIRST indication that that facet was being SCRAPPED, was a few days ago, when the ST prices were announced

Had the Club said, a FEW MONTHS back that for 2010 there would be no "Instalments" facility, then those fans going down that route would mody likely have started to put by some money towards a ST ... or ST's

I'm lucky, I only have me to worry about, and can afford to pay in one hit

But there ARE some, ie Family's that this will be a big hardship for, and it is those cases that the Club SHOULD listen to and LOOK AFTER AS LOYAL FANS:cool:

For a Family of 4, circa £1000 is a big hit all at once

To Cortese it is petty cash

Think again SFC, or you will lose GENUINE FANS:cool:

how many of those had read the fan's charter?

I expected the plan to be in place, wish it was and feel the club should have informed us that it was going.

But also think some are getting carried away - the point of season tickets was put money upfront and guarantee your seat, alternatively stagger payments by paying each week by buying tickets.

Yjere is a definite "Gulf" now between Cortese and us FANSI fully accept that SFC must be run as a Business .........

...... but NOT at all costs ( excuse pun)

The last thing I want to see is Saints becomming a SOULESS place

Don't alienate us too much Mr Cortese, this season we are not on the euphoric drug of having :cool:a New Owner

and so there should be, do you want one of these numpties whering the shirt, or fans on the board?

I dont want a credit card. Credit = Bad.

They'll give a 10,000 limit and the next thing you know you're are max'd out and in the sh1t.

I personally stay away from all forms of credit.

However, for personal cash flow reasons buy my season ticket on instalments.

I will now most likely just pay as/when i and my son go.

So 2 less tickets from here.

Surely the installment plan is a form of credit!?!

Not giving an installment plan is concentrating on Saints' core business (football, not finance) but they should have given more notice.

Probably best to let it lie now.

Not giving an installment plan is concentrating on Saints' core business (football, not finance) but they should have given more notice.

I wouldnt say so, but yep just let it lie.

I'll just pay per game and attend less.

Why ??? A Bad decision is a Bad decision

Why does it have to be swept under the carpet ????

.... Oh yes, I see, the whinings of a few but dedicated SUPPORTERS that cannot find ready's all at once count for nothing then ????

Cortese should remember "What goes around, comes around"

He was glad of all the SUPPORT he could get last season:cool:

As I said in my post, I think that the club has handled the situation very badly. I can understand some people being upset about the axing of the installment plan and the introduction of Dunes "stealth tax". I also accept peoples right to express their discontent (this is a forum after all) but I just think that some of the hysterical over reaction is quite breath-takingly ridculous. Would I stop going to matches over a £3.00p per transaction charge? Of course not. Am I upset because the plan has been stopped? I paid in installments last year but in previous years I scrimped and scraped the money together to buy my ST outright and will do so again this year. After all, Saturdays wouldn`t be the same without Saints!

As I said in my post, I think that the club has handled the situation very badly. I can understand some people being upset about the axing of the installment plan and the introduction of Dunes "stealth tax". I also accept peoples right to express their discontent (this is a forum after all) but I just think that some of the hysterical over reaction is quite breath-takingly ridculous. Would I stop going to matches over a £3.00p per transaction charge? Of course not. Am I upset because the plan has been stopped? I paid in installments last year but in previous years I scrimped and scraped the money together to buy my ST outright and will do so again this year. After all, Saturdays wouldn`t be the same without Saints!

Good for you, and ALL credit to you

BUT, there ARE others, ie a family of 4, who CANNOT scrimp and save the circa £1000 needed NOW, repeat NOW, No advance notice, PAY NOW

In that respect alone, SFC has not shown any thought to those that CANNOT stump up the monies, not having been given ANY PRIOR NOTICE of what road the Club were going

VERY VERY BAD IMHO:cool:

Success as a business can be acheived despite a lack of success on the pitch - or as in this case, failure as a business can be achieved despite success on the pitch.

If the club doesn't perform on the pitch this season Cortese will have managed to lose supporters AND make less money, and even if they do perform there's still the possibility people will be disenchanted enough to not care to attend anyway.

There's an elasticity of demand for match tickets, and people are a LOT less content to stump up for any old rubbish in the lower leagues.

I have to challenge this assumption that less STs = less money (and I know you caveated your comment in relation to succes on the pitch).

If you buy a ticket for 15 matches you will pay more than if you had bought an ST (and that's without adding any booking fees on). I suspect most prior ST holders who don't renew will go to 15 or more matches if the team is winning most weeks.

Whilst this has caused some unhappiness it has obviously been considered and determined that it is the best thing to do. The issue here is in relation to the Fans Charter which now either appears to have been very misleading or simply not worth bothering with and in the lack of a decent explanation in relation to this.

Good for you, and ALL credit to you

BUT, there ARE others, ie a family of 4, who CANNOT scrimp and save the circa £1000 needed NOW, repeat NOW, No advance notice, PAY NOW

In that respect alone, SFC has not shown any thought to those that CANNOT stump up the monies, not having been given ANY PRIOR NOTICE of what road the Club were going

VERY VERY BAD IMHO:cool:

i agree and it was great to see the unity of saints fans last season, i cannot fathom this out surely they can carry on this season and start this new policy next season.

and has for credit(cards) i think that sort of attitude got this country in a mess in the first place and why lieberr likes to live within his means with his companys.

If you really are a genuine supporter who cant afford to stump out xxxxx for a season ticket then you will simply not get a season ticket and go game by game, as I will do and have done for the last few seasons. I intended to get a season ticket this season, but due to no installment plan have chosen not too now and will continue to attend on a game by game basis only missing one or two a season as i have done since relegation.

so you are telling us that last season, instead of buying a season ticket and effectively paying £12.50 for each ticket (£288/23 games) you spent £24 a ticket x 21 games (=£504), and this season you intend to spend £24+£3 booking fee x 21 games (£567) rather than £328?

Oh and you think those that can't find the money up front for a ST should follow your lead?

`Greek' might be a more appropriate username than Turkish.