Reply from David Luker re installment plan

Huffton

Last seasons instalment plan was not a credit agreement. It was just 6 seperaye card payments taken monthly. No credit checks were done. If you don't believe me check your credit report
Your right, thats how mine worked, came off my debit card each month, but on random dates, I think that was part of the issue, I was told that each month they had to manualy put through the transactions for each card as they did not have the system in place to automate it, which meant they were not taking the money off people cards on the agreed dates, which led to bounced payments, you would of thought in the twelve months since then they would of sorted that out..

Your right, thats how mine worked, came off my debit card each month, but on random dates, I think that was part of the issue, I was told that each month they had to manualy put through the transactions for each card as they did not have the system in place to automate it, which meant they were not taking the money off people cards on the agreed dates, which led to bounced payments, you would of thought in the twelve months since then they would of sorted that out..

Debit card payments cost a fair amount in handling charges and a small percentage fee. It can cost a business up to 2% to accept debit card transactions each time plus a base charge.

For 6 £50 DC shots it may well cost £10 or £15 in fees etc but they're not allowed to pass them on, it has to be in the basic price.Perhaps someone who actually accepts D Card transactions could give us the real figure?

Debit card payments cost a fair amount in handling charges and a small percentage fee. It can cost a business up to 2% to accept debit card transactions each time plus a base charge.

For 6 £50 DC shots it may well cost £10 or £15 in fees etc but they're not allowed to pass them on, it has to be in the basic price.Perhaps someone who actually accepts D Card transactions could give us the real figure?

But are the club not charging an on line surcharge for tickets purchased that way???

Depends how its done.

If you go through a credit card billing system (eg Barclaycard Merchant), then yes the charges can be high.

However, standing orders are direct transfers into bank accounts, and do not incur a charge.

Agreed. Prior to last season if you wanted to pay in instalments you had to take out a credit arrangement arranged by the club. I could see the admin costs argument with this. The club would've got less than the value of the STs (finance company would take a cut) would incur the cost of sending on forms etc.

However, last season the arrangement was allowing the club to take a series of payments on your debit/credit card. Little in admin costs there, it isn't as if the club doesn't regularly take card payments during a season is it?

I would imagine they were faced with two options:

1. Go back to a finance arrangement. Too costly.

2. Do as last year. Too much aggravation with defaulters, TO not confident they would collect payments on time.

It used to cost me 3.5% to process Credit Cards in my small business with SFC it would be less

My opinion is that David Luker has had bugger all input into the ticketing policy this year or the associated delay in announcing it. In each of the previous 10 or so years he's been at the club, season ticket details have been published at the earliest possible opportunity (last season was the only time that wasn't well before the end of the season, for obvious reasons), and with very little complaint from the fanbase.

I agree that he will have no input on policy he merely implememts the operation of selling the tickets in all his time at the club!

The communication around STs this year is the let down.

Personally I think the price are well within acceptable levels and certainly value for money compared to the product we had last this time last year. I think there may be some over reaction due to the £125 rumour which makes the prices seem expensive. In reality they are not.

I also think that by raising the prices this year the price jump to Championship prices next year and then to Prem prices the next year will not be so painful!!! A sensible approach in the medium term!!

As someone once said you can't please all the people all the time!!!

People don't want to open a new credit account just for the season ticket,that's totally understandable IMO. The installment plans in recent years were done similar to car insurance ones as Stockport Saint says,and did not go on your credit record.

While I largely agree with your sentiment, in fact a lot of people cannot get a credit card, either due to their age or their credit rating. I think you may be surprised how many this would impact. Getting a 0% credit card really is not an option for many people.

if people are that hard up for cash, what are they doing blowing money on football?

Southampton Football Club

Not; Southampton Finance Club

Edited by Redondo Saint

I agree that he will have no input on policy he merely implememts the operation of selling the tickets in all his time at the club!

Not true. Every year since he's been at the club, it has been Luker who has put together the pricing package for both season and matchday tickets, which have then been discussed and rubber-stamped by the board.

The communication around STs this year is the let down.

The season ticket situation is far from the only thing which has led to poor communication from the club recently.

Personally I think the price are well within acceptable levels and certainly value for money compared to the product we had last this time last year.

Totally agree, no issue with the price at all.

I don't think the £125 thing has had much bearing on peoples' views, really - anyone with half a brain knew that wasn't a realistic prospect - why would the club chuck away more than £1m in near-guaranteed revenues when they're trying to run the club in a sustainable manner?

The main problem for me is that there's no obvious reason why these prices couldn't have been announced a month or more ago, thereby giving everyone more time to get the money together. Giving people 30 days at the renewal price makes the process seem really rushed - it's not as if the ticket office have been rushed off their feet with work since the end of the season, and there's no special announcement that the prices are linked to. It's all rather baffling, and certainly isn't the first time that's been the case with SFC this season.

Well said!:smt038

Fine, then don't put it in your 'Supporters charter' and if you are going to offer a facility then do the decent thing and advise your client that this offer has ceased, with adequate notice so the client can make alternative arrangements!

Not true. Every year since he's been at the club, it has been Luker who has put together the pricing package for both season and matchday tickets, which have then been discussed and rubber-stamped by the board.

The season ticket situation is far from the only thing which has led to poor communication from the club recently.

Totally agree, no issue with the price at all.

I don't think the £125 thing has had much bearing on peoples' views, really - anyone with half a brain knew that wasn't a realistic prospect - why would the club chuck away more than £1m in near-guaranteed revenues when they're trying to run the club in a sustainable manner?

The main problem for me is that there's no obvious reason why these prices couldn't have been announced a month or more ago, thereby giving everyone more time to get the money together. Giving people 30 days at the renewal price makes the process seem really rushed - it's not as if the ticket office have been rushed off their feet with work since the end of the season, and there's no special announcement that the prices are linked to. It's all rather baffling, and certainly isn't the first time that's been the case with SFC this season.

Very true Steve, but hold on a second here, have people forgotten that season ticket holders are paying for games in advance? Is it really asking that much to give fans some leeway in regards to how they pay for their games in advance?

To say fans should get a credit card or get themselves in debt is unbelievably condescending and arrogant. Not everyone can get credit and any cards out there that people with poor credit ratings have obscene interest rates and are just not viable long term..

The fact is, if you can get credit the chances are you already have a credit card and if you already have one, do you really want or need another??

The way the club has just abandoned a section of the fanbase is really pretty shameful. Had Lowe done this there'd be demonstrations and marches but because the new regime have done it, it's excusable, hell we even have people on here slagging off those fans with a poor credit rating as if they're somehow lesser fans for not having credit....

For what it's worth I don't mind paying more, but I do resent the club tearing up their own fans charter within a month of the old season expiring. The sheer ****ing arrogance of the club in saying "Well that was last years charter, this is a new one.." is breathtaking...

Fans deserve to be told that installment payment options were going to be phased out in January, to be given the option to save some money. To say you have 30 days to raise up to £400 for a single or £1,000 for a family and then say if you can raise that money by August 6th then you can't even have a season ticket is shockingly arrogant...

Talk about how to kill off the feelgood factor before it had even started...

daren. you can get a 0% credit card...quite easily

if you cant afford to pay back at 0% then why on earth should the club or any other business take that risk..

would you lend a total stranger £400 at 0% and ask them to pay you back over 6 months even though they have a credit rating worse than greece..?

if you cant afford to pay back at 0% then why on earth should the club or any other business take that risk..

would you lend a total stranger £400 at 0% and ask them to pay you back over 6 months even though they have a credit rating worse than greece..?

It was people like you who got us into the Global Banking problem in the First place:(

Very true Steve, but hold on a second here, have people forgotten that season ticket holders are paying for games in advance? Is it really asking that much to give fans some leeway in regards to how they pay for their games in advance?

To say fans should get a credit card or get themselves in debt is unbelievably condescending and arrogant. Not everyone can get credit and any cards out there that people with poor credit ratings have obscene interest rates and are just not viable long term..

The fact is, if you can get credit the chances are you already have a credit card and if you already have one, do you really want or need another??

The way the club has just abandoned a section of the fanbase is really pretty shameful. Had Lowe done this there'd be demonstrations and marches but because the new regime have done it, it's excusable, hell we even have people on here slagging off those fans with a poor credit rating as if they're somehow lesser fans for not having credit....

For what it's worth I don't mind paying more, but I do resent the club tearing up their own fans charter within a month of the old season expiring. The sheer ****ing arrogance of the club in saying "Well that was last years charter, this is a new one.." is breathtaking...

Fans deserve to be told that installment payment options were going to be phased out in January, to be given the option to save some money. To say you have 30 days to raise up to £400 for a single or £1,000 for a family and then say if you can raise that money by August 6th then you can't even have a season ticket is shockingly arrogant...

spot on! :smt038

You are quite right but the main point is that SFC withdrew the facility without any regard to the fans despite having it in some Fans Charter.

Absolutely agree with this.

Well said. If we don't have a brilliant season next year all those ST holders Cortese has driven out won't turn up. This isn't what I want to happen, but if it does happen it'll be just what he deserves.

A credit card lending someone £400 is completely different to a football club sending a out a booklet and them paying for it in installments. One has risk the other has none.

You didn't answer this point earlier so lets try again, where's the risk??

The club are not lending anyone any money, in reality it is us, the fan's that are taking all the risk. It is us who are paying up front for a product which we have no idea what the quality is going to be. In reality the way football is now day's we don't even know if the club will still be there at the end of the season so we could loose all our money!

If the club were to structure it correctly there is no risk whatsoever, do it over 5 months, 1st payment being April 1st, last payment 1st August if you miss any payment the club does not send your ticket, easy really!!!

Exactly, which is why the club can no longer do it.

But surely you're not receiving the purchase until you've attended the game. Therefore should anyone fail to make a payment they lose their season ticket. It's not a hire purchase agreement so I fail to see any significant risk.

But surely you're not receiving the purchase until you've attended the game. Therefore should anyone fail to make a payment they lose their season ticket. It's not a hire purchase agreement so I fail to see any significant risk.

And who is going to administer the accounts to see who is defaulting on their payments and then take the subsequent action of revoking the season ticket? All this comes at a cost and with the UK economy looking very fragile, perhaps they are aticipating high administration costs linked to those who pay by installments....

And who is going to administer the accounts to see who is defaulting on their payments and then take the subsequent action of revoking the season ticket? All this comes at a cost and with the UK economy looking very fragile, perhaps they are aticipating high administration costs linked to those who pay by installments....

Or maybe they're hoping for less renewals so they can wallop fans with hefty new season ticket prices for season 2011/12. Whatever the logic Cortese has shot himself and therefore the club in foot in terms of PR. He has created ill feeling where there was none and these situations have a habit of being hard to undo.

I'm afraid that argument just holds no weight when you consider that many other clubs in our division offer exactly the same type of scheme as we did. Christ, if Exeter can afford to run exactly the same system as ours last season can we really claim that we can't afford it?!

Ever heard of Computers but you are right it would only work if it had started in say May

Come on digger it's not difficult, i'm sure the club has on line banking like the rest of us. If all payments come out the same day it'd only take minutes to scroll down to make sure all payments are made. We have ticket office staff, there must be day's when there is nothing to do when the check could be made. If a payment fails you simply do not send a ticket!

I'm afraid that argument just holds no weight when you consider that many other clubs in our division offer exactly the same type of scheme as we did. Christ, if Exeter can afford to run exactly the same system as ours last season can we really claim that we can't afford it?!

Perhaps because we are investing money in some players which are worth more than the entire squads of said other clubs in our league

Perhaps because we are investing money in some players which are worth more than the entire squads of said other clubs in our league

On attendances and ticket revenue that will dwarf that of every other club in this division next season.

Liebherr hasn't been bankrolling our spending, it's all money we've generated by getting more than 20,000 people through the turnstiles every other week - with the added bonus of the two cup runs that have supplemented that income.

Its all relative though diggers, Exeter get 5k fans and we get 22k fans, we have ambition to move up the leagues. Our turnover is greater than theirs so there is no reason why Exeter can afford this yet we can't!

Are you saying that we are a badly administered club now?

We are investing all over the place. We are spending money on a new training ground. We have just brought in a new, high-end catering team. Cost cannot be the reason for this.

If money were the true over-riding issue, we would not be going sponsorless for the season. We wouldn't be spending a huge amount on catering as we'd just continue with the hot dogs and flat beer that will make money anyway. We certainly wouldn't be going ahead with a new training complex if we can't afford to spend a few thousand at most to ensure fans get the type of ticket purchasing options they were originally promised.

For the club to dress this up as merely a cost issue is completely disingenuous.

Its all relative though diggers, Exeter get 5k fans and we get 22k fans, we have ambition to move up the leagues. Our turnover is greater than theirs so there is no reason why Exeter can afford this yet we can't!

We also have a much larger potential fan base than Exeter. Perhaps the club feel that with success, more of the 32k which filled the stadium regularly will return, installments or not. Exeter and the likes do not have that luxury and therefore, those which pay by installments will make up a much higher percentage of their season ticket holders than us. Therefore they can't afford to lose those which do pay by installmets

We also have a much larger potential fan base than Exeter. Perhaps the club feel that with success, more of the 32k which filled the stadium regularly will return, installments or not. Exeter and the likes do not have that luxury and therefore, those which pay by installments will make up a much higher percentage of their season ticket holders than us. Therefore they can't afford to lose those which do pay by installmets

It's all about economies of scale. We're no different to Exeter in that respect given the size of our respective grounds.

Slightly simplistic.

Clubs like Exeter need to shift as many STs as possible in advance of the summer break to finance their summer trading. If that means taking a hit amortised over the cost of STs by running an installment plan in order to shift a few more then they will do so.

It is clear that it appears to the club that running the installment plan would be uneconomical. Otherwise, they would run it.

The alternative is that there has been some sort of mistake (which would be odd - they have access to the figures) or there is some point of principle (which would again be odd).

The risk they have is not receiving full value for the product they are selling. This impacts there own financial planning and before long cash flow becomes negative.

I don't know the reason for withdrawing the payment plan and I am surprised they did it, knowing the predictable reaction from the fan base. If other clubs do it then there must be a solution that fits both SFC and some ST buyers.

We will all see how this decision impacts the club when ST sales are announced.

Looking at the comments from everyone I appear to be in the minority in thinking it is not the clubs job to make season tickets available to those that can't personally finance them.

If you can't afford a season ticket, buy a match day ticket.

Buying a season ticket has always been expensive during the summer months - this is not a new issue. I could not afford one for a number of years and just had to deal with it.

I don't believe for a second that this sensitive issue was not discussed in detail by the club and all avenues were explored - including the reaction from the fans.

Supporting pro football is an expensive habit.

I just had a look at the Exeter site out of interest.

Their prices are about the same as ours. I know what represents better value IMO.

Also, I wonder if it is a bit disingenuous to speak as though every club offers an installment plan? Maybe they do. Exeter are introducing one this season for the first time.

Interestingly, the installment option is only available on full priced tickets - not on the cheaper renewal rates.

Edited by benjii

Slightly simplistic.

Clubs like Exeter need to shift as many STs as possible in advance of the summer break to finance their summer trading. If that means taking a hit amortised over the cost of STs by running an installment plan in order to shift a few more then they will do so.

It is clear that it appears to the club that running the installment plan would be uneconomical. Otherwise, they would run it.

The alternative is that there has been some sort of mistake (which would be odd - they have access to the figures) or there is some point of principle (which would again be odd).

It is simplistic, and rather than say "clubs like Exeter" I'd probably say that pretty much all clubs need to shift as many STs as possible. We're in an enviable position in that we are currently cash rich, but still the business model will still call for an early take up of ST fees.

I guess I'm not being clear with it; and you're right, there is clearly a cost for the club to bear otherwise it would a no brainer. That said, compared to the investment that is being put into the club in all areas, I can't believe that this payment scheme has been shelved with no notice given and no discussion. It is a minimal cost and effort scheme that has been taken up for many years by some fans, and all of a sudden its now gone. For a club that claims to be striving for the ultimate customer service in all areas, its a very poor move.

Yes, there are probably some cost arguments the club could make, but I think in the general scheme of things the costs are very, very minor. And this is a poor statement to be giving out to customers.

Man Utd are a pretty successful team yet they manage to offer a payment plan

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={6267FDD7-971D-4A90-98B2-E7B4D246D208}#

are we the only team that no longer offer such a facility?

Flip side,

Why should I give the club the whole season's money in one go?

Answer? I won't....

There is no risk involved, the club is just being lazy and ever so slightly arrogant. Do some work, if the fan defaults nullify the ticket. The fact that they changed it from a card to a book of tickets was just a cost cutting exercise. The real future of the club is via scanned plastic cards...

No scan, no game...

And why should people be getting into debt for a flaming game of football? Is anyone so stupendously naive to think that that new credit card won't be used, that it won't get it's new owner even more into debt? Can't afford the MOT? Put it on the card. Need a present for little Charlie? Put it on the card....

It's a massive on goal for the club and an even bigger wedge between the haves and have nots...

And before some smartarse comes up with "Well if you can't afford to go, you shouldn't go.." How many of us can really afford to go? How many of make a sacrifice here and there to make that game? If the club really doesn't value the support of the poorly off of us, what does it say about the club and football in general and where it's heading?

Answer? Not much...

It is simplistic, and rather than say "clubs like Exeter" I'd probably say that pretty much all clubs need to shift as many STs as possible. We're in an enviable position in that we are currently cash rich, but still the business model will still call for an early take up of ST fees.

I guess I'm not being clear with it; and you're right, there is clearly a cost for the club to bear otherwise it would a no brainer. That said, compared to the investment that is being put into the club in all areas, I can't believe that this payment scheme has been shelved with no notice given and no discussion. It is a minimal cost and effort scheme that has been taken up for many years by some fans, and all of a sudden its now gone. For a club that claims to be striving for the ultimate customer service in all areas, its a very poor move.

Yes, there are probably some cost arguments the club could make, but I think in the general scheme of things the costs are very, very minor. And this is a poor statement to be giving out to customers.

You do make some valid points especially in relation to the lack of communication and because of the delay in announcing the ST details for no real apparent reason.

I think it's difficult to judge the impact of this move from a business perspective until we know the percentage of ST sales which were paid by installments in previous seasons and the administration costs attached as a result.