Reply from David Luker re installment plan

Huffton

did you have a ST last season and how did it compare in % terms etc..?

Last year there was no increase in my ST price.

Rightly so. We had dropped to the 3rd tier.

Don't get me wrong TDD. I don't begrudge paying the 12% increase (ok, I do.... ever so slightly).

However I do think the club has made a major blunder here, and is alienating fans.

All that puff in the Charter is now being dismissed (that was only for half of last season) and we are seeing the club going back on promises that it made to us.

I am struggling to find a suitable Orwellian quote that would sum things up, but I'm sure someone will think of one.

Last year there was no increase in my ST price.

Rightly so. We had dropped to the 3rd tier.

Don't get me wrong TDD. I don't begrudge paying the 12% increase (ok, I do.... ever so slightly).

However I do think the club has made a major blunder here, and is alienating fans.

All that puff in the Charter is now being dismissed (that was only for half of last season) and we are seeing the club going back on promises that it made to us.

I am struggling to find a suitable Orwellian quote that would sum things up, but I'm sure someone will think of one.

get a 0% credit card...

would be interesting to know how many "free games" people have gotten over the last few years due to them defulating on payments/stopping direct debit etc..

this has to be the reason behind this

Then maybe just get rid of season tickets completely if they are worried about fans getting freebies, I know of at least 4 people that have "lost" their season ticket and let a mate use the duplicate for a game, I cant't be alone in knowing someone who's done this!

My point being that any fan can fraudulently enter the ground, be it a payment plan customer or someone who's paid up front!

Then maybe just get rid of season tickets completely if they are worried about fans getting freebies, I know of at least 4 people that have "lost" their season ticket and let a mate use the duplicate for a game, I cant't be alone in knowing someone who's done this!

My point being that any fan can fraudulently enter the ground, be it a payment plan customer or someone who's paid up front!

stupid point..this way they get 10,000+ worth of money up front

welcome to the economic downturn

Edited by Thedelldays

Agreed.

It's a shame the club has had to come to this decision as I think the majority of people will probably just think it's the club being lazy when in reality it's just the people abusing the system.

Andy, your taking it as fact that this has happened, you have no proof at all, Mr. Luker has said it's a cost cutting exercise as the admin charge was to high!

get a 0% credit card...

I shall be getting another credit card and transferring my balance to the new one and buying my ST etc etc......

But you're missing the point mate.

And I thought you were exactly the kind of person that would have been shouting this from the rooftops.........

They are breaking their promises.

Customer charter......... MY AR5E!

I shall be getting another credit card and transferring my balance to the new one and buying my ST etc etc......

And I thought you were exactly the kind of person that would have been shouting this from the rooftops.........

does the customer charter state that they HAVE to provide installments..?

we are in an economic downturn, football is about to self implode with money gone wrong...we want the club to buy the best players in the league (and maybe one or two from the CCC)...we failed to get promotion last season.

it all has a price

I seriously think some fans feel the club owe them a living or something..

we are in an economic downturn, football is about to self implode with money gone wrong...we want the club to buy the best players in the league (and maybe one or two from the CCC)...we failed to get promotion last season.

it all has a price

Er...... so selling LESS season tickets because there is no installment scheme is a good thing?

Not informing the fans of their intention to do so is a good thing?

Please explain how the club is doing the right thing or will you do your usual trick of ignoring the point?

Is that what you will be using

problem is it takes nearly a month from when you apply to when you get the credit card, suppose you could do a balance transfer

You seem to have confused dulldays with a season ticket holder.

Is that what you will be using

problem is it takes nearly a month from when you apply to when you get the credit card, suppose you could do a balance transfer

I wont be getting a season ticket..I am not desperate to hand money to SFC as soon as I can..

I pay for my tickets as and when I can go..

IF i was going to get a season ticket I would get 0% credit card..it really is not hard at all...I am shocked that some think it is or think the club should do everything for them

it all has a price

I don't think I'm owed anything from the club other than to be communicated to and respected as a paying customer. I can't think of any other organisation that would not notify it's paying customers of future policy changes, will none that want to keep their paying customers anyway!

it all has a price

Do they HAVE to provide installments? No.

Did they produce a new customer charter last year saying that they WOULD provide an installment plan? Yes.

Have they announced, before tickets went on sale, that the instalment plan was on the way out? No.

That's just poor customer service.

As for your comments about price, the revenues are irrelevant. You've previously stated you think ST numbers will be roughly the same as last year, if so this just means that the club's cash flow will be skewed to receiving money now rather than throughout the season. Being as we are a cash-rich club anyway, this will have little impact on business operations.

I think you have a very valid point

But lets face it Cortese wants to get in as much revenue as possible and probably cares little about how the fans feel

I think you have a very valid point

But lets face it Cortese wants to get in as much revenue as possible and probably cares little about how the fans feel

I truly hope you are wrong John, however there are indications that you may well be right.

if there's a direct debit taking the money straight from my account that's a lot better than more money on a credit card that I'll just keep putting off and paying the minimum ammount each month.

OK, I reckon the club should have given us more notice, but this quote (nothing personal so I've anonymized it) sums up the attitude that other people should help us organise our own finances. It's not a question of poverty, or you wouldn't/shouldn't have a season ticket at all, it's a question of cash flow, organising your life so you do have something for unexpected events. I really can't believe the moaning. Seventeen year olds and students perhaps, and those with new kids (can you afford both!!), but give us a break...

I'm no longer a season ticket holder and when I was never payed in installments, but the cost is a lot particularly to families. Mr Cortese has made a bad decision on this one and it will result in fewer sales and an alienation of some fans.

I wont be getting a season ticket..I am not desperate to hand money to SFC as soon as I can..

I pay for my tickets as and when I can go..

IF i was going to get a season ticket I would get 0% credit card..it really is not hard at all...I am shocked that some think it is or think the club should do everything for them

sounds like some sort of sensible installment plan!

I'm no longer a season ticket holder and when I was never payed in installments, but the cost is a lot particularly to families. Mr Cortese has made a bad decision on this one and it will result in fewer sales and an alienation of some fans.

agreed,cannot see us attracting many new season ticket holders

I truly hope you are wrong John, however there are indications that you may well be right.

Who knows - but I expect NC will make a a few bob when the club is eventually sold and that is possibly his goal

Who knows - but I expect NC will make a a few bob when the club is eventually sold and that is possibly his goal

All those who thought of Markus as some kind of benevolent Grandfather figure who gave us Werthers originals and told us how much he loved us can now remove their rose tinted spectacles.

I think that we have reached the end of the honeymoon period.

All those who thought of Markus as some kind of benevolent Grandfather figure who gave us Werthers originals and told us how much he loved us can now remove their rose tinted spectacles.

I think that we have reached the end of the honeymoon period.

I think you need to step back from this whole 'the club have done this to **** the fans off' attitude, and take a look at Marcus's business principles over the past however many years, that have made him the multimillionaire that he is.

I suspect the biggest principle that can be examined is the one where he has NEVER spent money that he hasn't had in the bank. Luckily it would seem he is bringing these principles to SFC so that we can avoid the way that PFC has been run this past decade.

If that means that a few fans have to suck it up for a season or two, then frankly that is a small price to pay [or not ;) ]. Maybe these same fans will learn a lesson and save some money up for next seasons season ticket - I would suggest about £500 per ticket would be a good goal to aim for...

I think you need to step back from this whole 'the club have done this to **** the fans off' attitude, and take a look at Marcus's business principles over the past however many years, that have made him the multimillionaire that he is.

I suspect the biggest principle that can be examined is the one where he has NEVER spent money that he hasn't had in the bank. Luckily it would seem he is bringing these principles to SFC so that we can avoid the way that PFC has been run this past decade.

If that means that a few fans have to suck it up for a season or two, then frankly that is a small price to pay [or not ;) ]. Maybe these same fans will learn a lesson and save some money up for next seasons season ticket - I would suggest about £500 per ticket would be a good goal to aim for...

All well and good.

And I admire that attitude.

After all, it will soon be league rules that a club must live within it's means, and not rely on cash from a sugar daddy when Platini pushes through his proposed changes.

And that has to be good for football.

However the point I am making (it would seem in vain) is that the club has produced it's customer charter and made certain promises.

Now it appears to have broken said promises and is hiding behind the argument that the charter was only for the 09/10 season.

If that is the case....... WHERE THE F*CK IS THIS SEASON'S CUSTOMER CHARTER?

A

Now it appears to have broken said promises and is hiding behind the argument that the charter was only for the 09/10 season.

It was broken last season. When I purchased 4 cup final tickets each ticket had a booking fee, when it was 1 transaction.

All well and good.

And I admire that attitude.

After all, it will soon be league rules that a club must live within it's means, and not rely on cash from a sugar daddy when Platini pushes through his proposed changes.

And that has to be good for football.

However the point I am making (it would seem in vain) is that the club has produced it's customer charter and made certain promises.

Perhaps the Charter was just a piece of PR spin

I'd guess that Mr. Liehber run's his other business with good communication to it's customers!

For me, I always use the instalment plan for my 2 season tickets, it's just easy for me. If Mr. Liehber had communicated with me, his paying customer earlier I would of indeed put some money away and purchased them in one hit, today!

Note, pfc are not in the place they find themselves now because they offered an instalment plan, they are there for gross mis-management, signing players for £9m and paying them £80k has killed them!! Oh and old twitchy had a hand in it as well!

This really is a bit of a PR flop....and I would bet it is down to Luker or someone else, rather than NC directly. I suspect figures were discussed and agreed and then DL (or a.n.other) were tasked with the public announcement and delivery of ST sales etc.

I would expect an overhaul of the "Supporter Services Department" any time soon......

My opinion is that David Luker has had bugger all input into the ticketing policy this year or the associated delay in announcing it. In each of the previous 10 or so years he's been at the club, season ticket details have been published at the earliest possible opportunity (last season was the only time that wasn't well before the end of the season, for obvious reasons), and with very little complaint from the fanbase.

I'd guess that Mr. Liehber run's his other business with good communication to it's customers!

For me, I always use the instalment plan for my 2 season tickets, it's just easy for me. If Mr. Liehber had communicated with me, his paying customer earlier I would of indeed put some money away and purchased them in one hit, today!

Note, pfc are not in the place they find themselves now because they offered an instalment plan, they are there for gross mis-management, signing players for £9m and paying them £80k has killed them!! Oh and old twitchy had a hand in it as well!

to be fair, you have no idea how liebher operates..maybe he is a nasty piece of work and was actually peed off with non promotion..?

to look at the other side of your point..he did not become a billionaire by letting money sit in other peoples accounts

So, the point you are making is that you have absolutely no point whatsoever!

The charter was for the 09/10 season - I'm sure it says that quite clearly in the charter!! - therefore the club could not possibly have broken promises for last season, this season!!

I'm guessing we can now see they delay for the release of season ticket info - the club has been waiting until the season is officially over so that it doesn't break the promises made in last season's charter ;)

My opinion is that David Luker has had bugger all input into the ticketing policy this year or the associated delay in announcing it. In each of the previous 10 or so years he's been at the club, season ticket details have been published at the earliest possible opportunity (last season was the only time that wasn't well before the end of the season, for obvious reasons), and with very little complaint from the fanbase.

I agree 100%, I don't think this is Luker's doing, this from the top and very misguided!

While I largely agree with your sentiment, in fact a lot of people cannot get a credit card, either due to their age or their credit rating. I think you may be surprised how many this would impact. Getting a 0% credit card really is not an option for many people.

Correct, this is the work of Cortese.

.maybe he is a nasty piece of work and was actually peed off with non promotion..?

I was and I hadn't ploughed nigh on 20 million into the club. I think it is absolutely abhorrent that we are to play in this sh*t league for another twelvemonth,SFC playing against Dagenham and Redbridge, Bournemouth and

Exeter...beurkk

While I largely agree with your sentiment, in fact a lot of people cannot get a credit card, either due to their age or their credit rating. I think you may be surprised how many this would impact. Getting a 0% credit card really is not an option for many people.

then why should the club take the risk on them..?

to be fair, you have no idea how liebher operates..maybe he is a nasty piece of work and was actually peed off with non promotion..?

to look at the other side of your point..he did not become a billionaire by letting money sit in other peoples accounts

To be fair YOU have no idea how he operates either, you have no idea what sort of credit he offers his customers for his wine coolers!

PS do you not think the fact he was left an equal share of the company by his dad, Han's, helped him become the billionaire he is??

PPS no I have no idea how he works, but you can bet your season ticket renewal money that if Tesco were purchasing a job lot of coolers he'd (his rep's) communicate better than they have with us!!

and yet they think nothing of spending what £150/£200 for a day out at Wembley, that is what has driven this price hike and one off payment plan.

People took wives, girlfriends, kids, grannies and aged aunties with no thought of the cost or of other fans who were deprived of tickets, cost of 2 tickets even at £34=£68, transport another what say £30,meals, booze,gear etc say another £40, so fans blew stacks of cash on 1 day out, and now they moan because there is no easy payment plan, too much swagger and Falstaffian behaviour and now we've got what we deserved.

To be fair YOU have no idea how he operates either, you have no idea what sort of credit he offers his customers for his wine coolers!

PS do you not think the fact he was left an equal share of the company by his dad, Han's, helped him become the billionaire he is??

PPS no I have no idea how he works, but you can bet your season ticket renewal money that if Tesco were purchasing a job lot of coolers he'd (his rep's) communicate better than they have with us!!

Jason, just to put you straight, Markus Liebherr's companies are market leaders in common Rail Diesel technology,he doesn't make fridges, freezers or cranes.

Doubt if he sell CDTI technology to Tesco's either.I have a TDCI engined car, it runs on about 3.2 litres of diesel per 100km, that's fantastic technology,but I doubt Markus gave it to Volkswagen for free.

Dear Jason

The Supporter Charter relates to the 09-10 season, whereas the prices released relate to the 10-11 season.

The Club has decided against offering an installment payment option this year due to the increased costs of administering such a scheme.

We hope this answers your query.

Kind Regards

David Luker

Head of Supporter Services

Southampton Football Club

I had the same reply to my protest so obviously pre-prepared. If all on this site who do not agree with the decision, e-mail David Luker, the shear number might, just might, bring an about turn. If we do not try, we can never win!

and yet they think nothing of spending what £150/£200 for a day out at Wembley, that is what has driven this price hike and one off payment plan.

People took wives, girlfriends, kids, grannies and aged aunties with no thought of the cost or of other fans who were deprived of tickets, cost of 2 tickets even at £34=£68, transport another what say £30,meals, booze,gear etc say another £40, so fans blew stacks of cash on 1 day out, and now they moan because there is no easy payment plan, too much swagger and Falstaffian behaviour and now we've got what we deserved.

People like having a day out once in a while but object to be apparently ripped off

I had the same reply to my protest so obviously pre-prepared. If all on this site who do not agree with the decision, e-mail David Luker, the shear number might, just might, bring an about turn. If we do not try, we can never win!

I sent an email this morning asking why the installment scheme was being discontinued, and why the club had left it to the very last minute to inform the fans. No response.

then why should the club take the risk on them..?

many of these so called risky people will have been loyal season ticket holders for many years and now for reasons beyond their control are priced out and will be going to less games and not having their own seat. a bit off if you ask me

Jason, just to put you straight, Markus Liebherr's companies are market leaders in common Rail Diesel technology,he doesn't make fridges, freezers or cranes.

Doubt if he sell CDTI technology to Tesco's either.I have a TDCI engined car, it runs on about 3.2 litres of diesel per 100km, that's fantastic technology,but I doubt Markus gave it to Volkswagen for free.

Fair comment mate, I did say I have no idea how he works, but my point was about communicating with his customers, do you question that point??

As Roger Daltrey put it all those years ago:

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss", followed by Pete Townsend's unbelievable axe-wielding.

Good analogy. I take the "unbelievable axe-wielding" is an entertaining, promotion-winning season? Who cares who the boss is then.

But that was because it was the clubs first day out at Wembley for years.

I cant see the same enthusiasm for Exeter on a Tuesday night in November.