No instalment plan!!!!

St. Jason

It gives the club all the money upfront to use in the Summer transfer window.

If people pay by installments then some of the money comes in after the window closes.

That's true. But, in the same vein, many transfers also operate on an installment basis.

Besides, the issue of the "upside to the club" in this regard is irrelevant. The club should be doing all it can to accommodate existing and new customers, and this approach goes completely against that.

If people pay by installments then some of the money comes in after the window closes.

Unless I'm mistaken, doesn't the bloke who owns the club have about two and a half billion quid washing around ? I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have any cashflow problems.

Also, if that's the intention, why not tell people 6 months ago that that was the intention so they could prepare for it ? And why leave it so late to announce the prices and sell the tickets ? They could have had my money in March if they'd been organised enough to sell STs then but funnily enough I don't have it going spare now. Claiming it's being done "early" ignores that we're 23rd out of 24 in this division to announce prices.

If we can afford to dump our shirt sponsor then surely we can afford to look after the people that make this club so great, the fans, all of the fans not just the ones who can afford it NOW!!

Although i am lucky enough to be able afford to pay out right i think that the club are wrong in what they are doing but if you look at it from a business angle which unfortunately they will and i use my situation as an example you can see that the owners are being very cute. IE My renewel will be £328 = £14.26 per game if i didn't buy a season ticket for whatever reason and went to 15 games and pruchased my ticket from the ticket office in advance that would = £330 so in a season where the club and us the supporters are expecting success you can see that the likelyhood is that even with the club upsetting a large percentage of existing season ticket holders they will make more money this way as long as those that did not buy a season ticket outright attend a minimum of 15 games which lets be honest whether we like it or not you probably will if at the end of October, December, February be going to the games if we are top/second and will therefore more than likely do the 15 game threshold.

My thoughts exactly.

It is unfortunate if people can't go. It would be lovely if everyone had loads of money. But that is life... I would also imagine the credit card option is perfetly viable for 95% of adult people.

I presume that everyone complaining intends to stop going when we are in the Premiership and it is £40 per match with STs at £600+ ?

But this is it, I'm not posh!!!!

I will leave it though. If people want to bury their heads in the sand and use this as an excuse to not get a season ticket, that's up to them. There are ways of getting £300 together, even if you have a bad credit rating. It just depends how badly they want to do it. Perhaps they should look at http://www.moneysavingexpert.com to help them sort out their financial situation, or even Citizens Advice Bureau.

Either way, we've all had money troubles.

I do agree they should have let the fans know earlier so that they could budget for it.

That's the main point though dibby, no advance warning, also for a lot of people it's not just 1 season ticket and that's why the payment plan appealed to many a fan, especially appealing for the family!

Ps. I don't prescribe to the other point about not posting, that's what these sites are for, opinions!

If we can afford to dump our shirt sponsor then surely we can afford to look after the people that make this club so great, the fans, all of the fans not just the ones who can afford it NOW!!

As shirt sponsor deals are usually across multiple years, and Championship clubs can command significantly higher fees, perhaps Cortese has calculated that more money can be made by not having a sponsor (so long as we are promoted).

My thoughts exactly.

It is unfortunate if people can't go. It would be lovely if everyone had loads of money. But that is life... I would also imagine the credit card option is perfetly viable for 95% of adult people.

I presume that everyone complaining intends to stop going when we are in the Premiership and it is £40 per match with STs at £600+ ?

That's a bit out of order mate, suggesting that us complaining are somehow glory hunters. If the club want to go down that route then fine, my point and the point of the majority of posters is WARN US, tell us that's your plan the I can save, easy really!

As shirt sponsor deals are usually across multiple years, and Championship clubs can command significantly higher fees, perhaps Cortese has calculated that more money can be made by not having a sponsor (so long as we are promoted).

Confusing messages being sent though mate aren't there. One hand Cortesse says he's "rewarding the fans with no shirt sponsorship" then he's taking away the payment plan with no warning, in many peoples eyes penalising fans!

With regards to the business sense in waiting for the CCC as it makes better financial sense, surely an astute business man would put a clause in any sponsorship package covering promotions as the sponsor would no doubt put in to cover relegation??

I would go if there was an installment plan or if I had a job where I could afford to pay outright, if not then no.

That's the main point though dibby, no advance warning, also for a lot of people it's not just 1 season ticket and that's why the payment plan appealed to many a fan, especially appealing for the family!

Ps. I don't prescribe to the other point about not posting, that's what these sites are for, opinions!

And I do fully agree with the above.

Disappointed there's no installment plan this season,but I'm sure I'll find the money somehow. FWIW last season was the first where the installment plan was done interest-free,prior to that it was run by a finance company called Football Credit who charged interest on tickets bought with an 8 month plan,so the club weren't giving people free credit.

However, living 100 miles from SMS, I am delighted to see that they have imposed a £3 booking fee for my ticket - a booking fee of 17.6%.

As it appears I will be saving £3 by not buying a programme in future as they have stopped selling them - or have they? - that seems very reasonable.

Keep up the excellent PR, NC.

Not had time to read the entire thread but there seems to be a lot of angst about the lack of a payment plan.....

Surely people can easily use their initiative and take out their own 'payment plan' by paying with a "0% for 9 or 12 months" credit card? Plenty of options available: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/credit-cards

People would need to pass a similar credit rating for either an SFC scheme or a credit card application - just a different form to fill in.

Simple, or am I missing something obvious here?

That's a bit out of order mate, suggesting that us complaining are somehow glory hunters. If the club want to go down that route then fine, my point and the point of the majority of posters is WARN US, tell us that's your plan the I can save, easy really!

I wasn't trying to suggest that anyone was a glory hunter, simply that our ambition is to get to the Prem asap and that prices then will be much more than what they are now. Unfortunately, in this trajectory, it will become more and more unaffordable for a lot of loyal decent folk to go and they will be replaced by people who stopped going about 6 or 7 years ago. That is how football works now.

I take the point about the warning and I'm not sure what the cause of the relative delay has been. I assumed there would be a good reason for it and I'm not sure what that reason is.

the removal of the installemert option quite clearly is as a result of fans not paying, but still going to games/ not returning ticket to SFC. In terms of giving a warning of this policy change, perhaps this information has only been presented to Cortese fairly recently, therefor a late decision may have been made thereby not offering the possibility of giving an advanced warning. Perhaps this was the reason for the delay as letters/forms etc. had to be reprinted to remove this option? All guesswork on my part.

not having an installment plan is a bad move. I stopped my season ticket last season and thought I would buy on an adhoc basis instead. However, despite 14 years of having a season ticket I only managed about 7 matches. You are not tied in, so it is bad business not having an installment plan.

You just hope they have done their homework

However, living 100 miles from SMS, I am delighted to see that they have imposed a £3 booking fee for my ticket - a booking fee of 17.6%.

As it appears I will be saving £3 by not buying a programme in future as they have stopped selling them - or have they? - that seems very reasonable.

Keep up the excellent PR, NC.

A £3 booking fee for online purchases is an embaressing fan rip off IMO.

not having an installment plan is a bad move. I stopped my season ticket last season and thought I would buy on an adhoc basis instead. However, despite 14 years of having a season ticket I only managed about 7 matches. You are not tied in, so it is bad business not having an installment plan.

You just hope they have done their homework

spot on. If you aheva ST then things are arranged around football. If you don't then you just fit football in between.

Not had time to read the entire thread but there seems to be a lot of angst about the lack of a payment plan.....

Surely people can easily use their initiative and take out their own 'payment plan' by paying with a "0% for 9 or 12 months" credit card? Plenty of options available: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/credit-cards

People would need to pass a similar credit rating for either an SFC scheme or a credit card application - just a different form to fill in.

It is simple, and in a way you're right. I've posted before that most people that REALLY want a season ticket will find a way to get one, whether it be paying up front, new 0% credit card, normal credit card or other method.

That said, there are bound to be a significant number of people who don't want to / can't apply for a credit card, whether it be for true financial reasons, sheer apathy or out of principle. Rightly or wrongly, its a fact that there will be a number of people who fall into this category.

It's just so very disappointing that the club have seemingly made it that more difficult to become a "valued" customer.

Well perhaps we've now found out why you've "been in far worse situations fiscally than a lot of people on this forum."

It's not ok that a football club makes the supporters without £400 lying about sign up to a credit card! Do you think that's ok?

Edited by JibMcdo

just a thought, but is there a possibility that a large number of people defaulted on their payment last season? I'm not saying this is the case, but something like that could prompt the club to withdraw it.

So just issue tickets on a match by match basis to instalment payers until their ticket is paid off.

When the 6 months free was factored out the finance company payed the club in full and the lender then payed the finance company.

It is simple, and in a way you're right. I've posted before that most people that REALLY want a season ticket will find a way to get one, whether it be paying up front, new 0% credit card, normal credit card or other method.

That said, there are bound to be a significant number of people who don't want to / can't apply for a credit card, whether it be for true financial reasons, sheer apathy or out of principle. Rightly or wrongly, its a fact that there will be a number of people who fall into this category.

It's just so very disappointing that the club have seemingly made it that more difficult to become a "valued" customer.

Fair points but below is what I posted on the 'Season Tickets' thread to explain my thinking - i.e. why would we want our Football Club to apply a less rigorous credit check to a bank or credit card company?

I'm not sure why people think that the Football Club should have retained a payment system that (seemingly) required a less rigourous credit rating check than someone taking out a bank loan or credit card.

It seems obvious to me that the Football Club (which is now being run by a successful businessman and banker) have deemed that the 'in-house' payment scheme was too risky (in that they were effectively dishing out unsecured loans to anyone who could sign a piece of paper) so have now given people the chance to arrange their own finances thus making sure the Football Club aren't exposed to a fiscal risk (remember what happened two years ago when the Club became exposed financially....?)

Given the world's economies collapsed two years ago due to companies giving out un-credit checked finance I'm surprised that some people are actively encouraging the Football Club to do the same.

One caviat to my views here in that I'm not sure what credit checks season ticket applications were subjected to in the past but I'm assuming it wasn't as rigorous as a credit card check (?)

but its a direct debit payment plan. There is no unsecured loan as such. The club hasn't given the fan a sum of money that the fan then pays off. The club merely gives the fan a worthless peice of paper, which if it was sent out on a weekly basis would prevent any defaulting.

Trousers some of what you say above is correct, I am lucky enough to be in a position to pay up front (already renewed). A few seasons ago I heard of someone who did the 6 months interest free, he defaulted as he was out of work and did not have to brass farthings to rub together and from what I understand he kept going and used his unpaid for ST.

I'm not sure why people think that the Football Club should have retained a payment system that (seemingly) required a less rigourous credit rating check than someone taking out a bank loan or credit card.

It seems obvious to me that the Football Club (which is now being run by a successful businessman and banker) have deemed that the 'in-house' payment scheme was too risky (in that they were effectively dishing out unsecured loans to anyone who could sign a piece of paper) so have now given people the chance to arrange their own finances thus making sure the Football Club aren't exposed to a fiscal risk (remember what happened two years ago when the Club became exposed financially....?)

Given the world's economies collapsed two years ago due to companies giving out un-credit checked finance I'm surprised that some people are actively encouraging the Football Club to do the same.

One caviat to my views here in that I'm not sure what credit checks season ticket applications were subjected to in the past but I'm assuming it wasn't as rigorous as a credit card check (?)

And I think that's a totally fair comment; I didn't have a season ticket last year so was surprised to hear how lapse the whole system was, and quite clearly something had to change.

But I do stick by my point that the club really do need to go the extra mile to attract as many season ticket holders as possible. If that is done by providing finance through an external company, then its something they should have explored. Yes, the customer does now have the opportunity to secure their own financial arrangements but if this was always going to be the case then why did the club keep it quiet until a few hours before season tickets went on sale? The late announcment is just as bad, if not worse than the decision to remove the payment plan.

As I've said, those that really want to get a season tricket will find a way to get one. But I think there could be a very significant number who will choose not to get one, simply because the application process is a bit more convoluted. And that is, ultimately, a poor reflection on the way the club has handled the whole issue.

The obvious thing is no warning, fan's have had the ticket for years paying on the plan then from nowhere bang, this option is taken away, no explanation no nothing.

Yes, all very helpful mate.

I'm due to do my credit card reshuffle anyway.

However, I think you should seriously consider whether it's time to stop digging that hole for yourself.

You're beginning to sound rather patronising and I'm sure some of our fellow posters may be thinking you're a posh tw*t.

No offence intended. :)

not sure what you mean - only posh people have credit cards? Got my first one when broke and student!

just a thought, but is there a possibility that a large number of people defaulted on their payment last season? I'm not saying this is the case, but something like that could prompt the club to withdraw it.

Of course this is a possibility but surely this information would of been available some 8 months ago as that's when payments would of been missed. So the club could still of given us the notice required to save!!

Could it be that a lot of people defaulted on their installments last season ?

on one of these threads someone said the club had people who didn't pay and continued going and sitting in other seats. Guess it would be easy to do

Not a good PR ploy to come out in public and accuse your fan base of being a load bad credit risks, methinks...

At least we'd know what was going on. I for one would not be bothered if NC came out and publicly stated this was the case, who would be?

The bottom line is if this was the case, the club would of had this information months ago so still should of told us!

Not a good PR ploy to come out in public and accuse your fan base of being a load bad credit risks, methinks...

Of course, but there are many ways they could have done it. Could have announced in March that they wouldn't be operating the payment scheme next season as "new costs precluded it". Could have made arrangements with external finance companies to provide a competitive percentage payback rate.

Doing nothing and keeping quiet about it until the last possible minute is equally not a good PR ploy.

He wouldn't be accusing every Saints fan of being a credit risk/defaulting on payment and basically stealing a ticket. He would just be accusing "some", because they did and may do the same again.

He wouldn't be accusing every Saints fan of being a credit risk/defaulting on payment and basically stealing a ticket. He would just be accusing "some", because they did and may do the same again.

Dont agree. If defaulted installments IS the reason, to say so would be tantamount to saying "I dont trust you lot"

If it was clearly explaiend that some fans (100) had abused the installment plan process then genuine fans would understand, or at least understand better than they do at this point with zero explanation.

My guess is that the delay in ST prices was down this information being made available to Cortese at a late point and then an investigation into a proposed credit card swipe system will hjabve taken place which would stop this practice of defaulting and then still trying to enter the ground. The swipe system perhaps was found to be too expensive or would take too long to fit so they went for the other option of cancelling payment plans/direct debit scheme.

If this decision has been taken as an attempt to clamp down of defaulters who continue to use the tickets, does this mean that the club has decided against electronic turnstyles? One of the benefits of an electronic system would be that tickets could be automatically 'deactivated' upon failure to pay.

On a different note, this thread has some of awful patronising posts, which seem to only have been written just to incite a reaction. While 0% credit cards are a possibility for some, many with worse credit histories won't be eligable. Likewise, while this has undoubtably been a PR disaster, any business has the right to change their pricing policies as they see fit. If you want to buy a car, but the local forecourt drops their 0% finance, you can chose to take your business elsewhere. I can't afford to run a car, let alone buy a season ticket. Just like with anything else I might want to buy, if I can't afford the price, I accept that I can't have the product. I instead only end up going to about 6-8 games a season, I get to pick and choose the more interesting games, spend less money, and get to shuffle non-football social events into my calandar. I know it's not a palatable thought to many, but it's not as bad as it might seem at first, and if enough people were to do similar, the club would be forced to consider other ticketing schemes.

The bottom line is if this was the case, the club would of had this information months ago so still should of told us!

Maybe these installemnt plan failures were deemed normal by the ticket office staff as they have gone on for y ears. Cortese may have only just been made aware of it and he then immediately changed the policy which involved changes to renewal forms etc that all would slow down the ST price information release date.

on one of these threads someone said the club had people who didn't pay and continued going and sitting in other seats. Guess it would be easy to do

Surely the club would pursue a payment defaulter through legal or other means? The Club (or the finance company) would have their direct debit details and just apply the sum outstanding in one lump sum.

If I defaulted on a personal direct debit - be it for council tax, water rates, car loan etc - the payee would simply suck my bank account for sums outstanding plus a penalty sum.

I'm finding it hard to believe that defaulters keep coming to St Mary's and just sit in an empty seat every game. Or am I being incredibly naive?

But this is it, I'm not posh!!!!

I will leave it though. If people want to bury their heads in the sand and use this as an excuse to not get a season ticket, that's up to them. There are ways of getting £300 together, even if you have a bad credit rating. It just depends how badly they want to do it. Perhaps they should look at http://www.moneysavingexpert.com to help them sort out their financial situation, or even Citizens Advice Bureau.

Either way, we've all had money troubles.

I do agree they should have let the fans know earlier so that they could budget for it.

You might not be posh.. but you have patronised many today & talked down to those who need the payment plan. Having said all that well done for being perfect!