No instalment plan!!!!

St. Jason

You've quite clearly never been in a position to not be able to afford something, lucky you. If you can't understand the massive issue people have with forking out £700 for two season tickets in one payment with next to no notice then perhaps you should stay out of this thread.

Utter crap, I'm sure I've been in far worse situations fiscally than a lot of people on this forum, which is exactly why I feel I have the right to comment

The fan's charter you refer to is clearly headed 09/10 Season.

The instalment plan has been pulled for the 10/11 season.

If fans defaulted on previous instalment plans it looks like they have ruined it for the rest of us.I agree however a little more notice would have been useful,to give us mere mortals longer to save.

Looks like match by match for me.

Quite happy to do it last year, the year before, the year before, the year before, the year before etc

Quite happy to put it in the Fans Charter - "facilities for disabled supporters and their enablers. these can be booked at the ticket office in person or by telephone.

- a payment plan for season tickets to make them cost-effective." The club offered this facility, which I happily used for years, now they withdraw said facility which is offered as part of the fans charter!!

Happy reading - http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/staticFiles/5f/44/0,,10280~148575,00.pdf

If fans defaulted on previous instalment plans it looks like they have ruined it for the rest of us.I agree however a little more notice would have been useful,to give us mere mortals longer to save.

Same as me now moosh, my concern is will I go to every game now, can I be arsed to get down to the ticket office week in week out!

You are right about the charter...........surely they are not going to publish one for every season though??

Utter crap, I'm sure I've been in far worse situations fiscally than a lot of people on this forum, which is exactly why I feel I have the right to comment

As sated elsewhere, I don't think people are questioning the morales of debt and if we should enter in to more debt, the point here is the Club have withdrawn their offer with no notice!!

Didn't realise it was 2011 already??

Seriously though, are we to have a new fans charter every season then? Why did this one only last 6 months? Surely at the end of the charter it should be outlined that the charter was "for this season only"

Just a thought!!

You're right it's not 2011, but it is also not the 09/10 season anymore. With regards to your comment about outlining "for this season only" I refer you again to the third line on the front page it clearly states 09/10 Season. Your season ticket would be for the 10/11 Season therefore, if you play this line with the club, they will only respond in the same way as I have. I am annoyed as anyone about the lack of instalments available, even more so because it now means I will have to pay £3 extra for each ticket I buy.

You're right it's not 2011, but it is also not the 09/10 season anymore. With regards to your comment about outlining "for this season only" I refer you again to the third line on the front page it clearly states 09/10 Season. Your season ticket would be for the 10/11 Season therefore, if you play this line with the club, they will only respond in the same way as I have. I am annoyed as anyone about the lack of instalments available, even more so because it now means I will have to pay £3 extra for each ticket I buy.

Fair enough matey, you've got me there, I still think with such a large portion (I have no figures or stats to back that statement) using the plan facility notice, loads of notice should have been given as to allow me to save!

The club wouldn't lose a penny...

If anything season tickets are almost a reverse form of credit, you're paying advance...

Even if you pay in installments you've paid the full amount by December and therefore paid in advance of the next 5 months...

good point - why should fans pay in Advance, if the club went into liquidation then fans would lose out

its all very well marcus having a policy of no debt, hes a billionaire, lol

the rest of us have loans, credit cards, mortgages, tax, etc all done on installments and direct debits - its how the modern world works ffs

what a load a bollax , and i think its a bit tight to put up prices for league 1 football, we arent gonna do a norwich now are we, selling tonnes packing the stadium and roaring the team onto promotion...

A couple of observations.

Why should the club offer FREE credit? They COULD have cut a deal with a finance company to charge a small fee to help thise with real issues

I don't buy some of these "I'm so broke because of the recession" stuff. Going to a football match is 30 quid every other week. If finances are THAT tight should you really be going to football? Not saying that you don't deserve to, but are your life/family priorities in the right place?

Worrying that 1) There was a delay and 2) The Ticket Office seem to have had no idea on why there is no payment plan. From a distance it looks a very "Singular" decision made without a great deal of consultation. Won't help the "Worried about NC's ego theorists"

A number of fans seemed to have gained access to SMS whilst having defaulted on their payment plans. Shows that the IT systems are not up to standard. Also shows why the club should have looked for outsourcing opportunities. Not so sure defaulters from a loan company would have enjoyed so much liberties

Did EVERY season ticket holder actually go to EVERY game last year? Many times the ST's were factored into the attendance and yet the stadium seemed empty. Maybe you'll save money. But then you won't have your own seat...

By August we will still be moaning but many will have got the bug again and will be looking forwards to the new season, where there is a will there will be a way.

Overall? Stupid decision made worse by being made too late. Perhaps NC didn't find the right page in his "How to Run a Football Club instead of a Bank" Handbook. Should have been annoucned BEFORE the end of the season.

Conspiracy theory? Worrying if we are doing it to save costs or get extra cash in. The price has increased. Were they REALLY banking on CCC revenues this season

Same as me now moosh, my concern is will I go to every game now, can I be arsed to get down to the ticket office week in week out!

You are right about the charter...........surely they are not going to publish one for every season though??

I was surprised when I followed the link to see the fans charter dated for only one season.

Until we get an explanation from the club(if we get one) I can only guess they had a good reason( fans defaulting but still getting into the ground) for pulling a scheme that was deemed necessary and fair at one time but then unneccessary only a few months on.

Bizarre !!

TBF I defaulted on mine because I ran out of money. I then handed it in as soon as I could.

Why should the club give interest free loans in effect? Means the club loses money.

How does the club lose money? The money wouldn't be with them any earlier if people bought tickets on a match by match basis, its not as if they are providing all the matches then collecting the money afterwards.

They will make more money on match by match, what with the booking fee so they will lose from that prospective, however people get out of the habit, wheres the point in improving the catering then removing the customer base?

A businessman's thought process....

Hmm

We had (I guess) about 10,000 ST holders last year

We had 51,000 fans at Wembley with thousands more clamouring for tickets

We will walk this league

We sold out quite a few times last season

Pah, who needs ST holders? we'll be full up most games anyway

Hmm

We will walk this league

Not really.

For our home game against Oldham, when we were still mathematically in with a chance of reaching the playoffs, we had an official attendance of just over 18,000.

For home league games we only had attendances of more than 22,000 twice.

So why do you not understand how big a deal it is that people will struggle to pay the price in one lump sum then over the course of months?

What's also slightly worrying is the fact the ticket office claim they do not know why there is no plan. They didn't know when the season tickets were going on sell either.

Now, not being funny, but tickets are their thing. How on earth can they not know what's going on?

You really have to question the club in this regard.

We were previously given the news that the "sponsorless shirts" for next year was an effort by the club to engage with the fanbase and go back to its roots. Yet just a few months later here we are with the common fan being given a real kick in the teeth by the club.

I'd much rather have a sponsor on the shirt next year if it meant that the club could actually provide the fans with a system they wanted for tickets and half/full season tickets. This looks like we're giving up the potential of making money on one side with a quite hollow gesture of going sponsorless for a year, only to try and claw that money back by a bit of a stitch up on the ticketing side.

Someone at the club has dropped a real clanger with this.

I agree Um Bongo. You would think they would at the very least be consulted about it (or the guy in charge would). Would be interesting to know who came up with this strategy and their rational.

One would of thought Big Nic would of at least phoned Mr. Luker and told him what was happening last Friday so he could the let his staff know this morning!!!

Hmm

We will walk this league

You are nearly right ... it would be an IDIOTIC Businessman's thought process

We had circa 10000 ST Holders in 2009, but IMHO, a lot will not renew because we are STILL in the Third Division

51000 at Wembley ? Yes, but that was a special "Feel Good Factor" Day, and, at the time, we were still in with a shout for the Play Offs

We will NOT walk ANY League, Success on the field has to be earnt, with a GOOD squad

We sold out last season because (again) of the eurphoric Feel Good Factor. It may have escaped Mr Cortese, but NEXT season will not have such a Factor. For a lot of people, Times are hard

£300 -£400 may be "Petty Cash" to Cortese, but it is a lot of hard earnt money to a lot of SUPPORTERS

Instead of (continuing) to help Saints Fans to pay for their Season Tickets, they are kicking them in the teeth by withdrawing the option of Payments AS STATED IN THE FANS CHARTER

My message to Cortese is quite simple

THINK AGAIN, BECAUSE YOU HAVE MADE A SERIOUS ERROR OF JUDGEMENT:cool:

Just a thought, perhaps the finance company that was used by the club in the past seasons have put up the fees they charge the club by a silly amount.

Why would the club need a finance company? They are not borrowing money; season tickets are effectively the customer paying up front for 9 months of games.

Why would the club need a finance company? They are not borrowing money; season tickets are effectively the customer paying up front for 9 months of games.

I think you will find that when STs were done on 6 months interest free it was factored through a finance company, some one has to pick up the bill for this service.

season tickets are effectively the customer paying up front for 9 months of games.

And obtaining a reduced price in exchange, there is an instalment plan, pay for your ticket every other week at the ground.Club must know that there would be a minor fuss about this so they really must know why they're doing it.

Probably something to do with not inciting people to take on credit which they may not be able to afford.

I think you will find that when STs were done on 6 months interest free it was factored through a finance company, some one has to pick up the bill for this service.

There was no finance company involved last season.

The first payment was taken by card at the ticket office and card details saved.

At the beginning of each subsequent month a new transaction was put through on the same card by the ticket office.

Exactly right, in effect the only work done for a instalment plan was for us, the customer to set up a standing order with our bank to pay £76 per month for 6 months. No one was borrowing money of anyone, Saints give me a ticket and I pay them, in fact if anything I end up lending them money. I pay in advance for a product I have no real knowledge if i'm going to enjoy, The Dutch fiasco, and there is always the possibility that the club could fold before the end of the season, meaning I'd paid for nothing!!

Just get a 0% credit card and pay it off in the normal way. It's exactly the same (in fact better as you can pay it off over 12 months). If not, perhaps you should have saved up.

Easy chance for people to have a moan isn't it, just because they can't be bothered to apply for a credit card.

This of course ignores all the people who already HAVE a credit card, all those who would have saved IF they'd known the club wasn't going to have an instalment plan, and even those who, despite having plenty of disposable income most of the time, are committed to other expenditure this month and not in a position to stump up £328+ unexpectedly.

There are a LOT of people affected, it's a ridiculous decision.

There was no finance company involved last season.

The first payment was taken by card at the ticket office and card details saved.

At the beginning of each subsequent month a new transaction was put through on the same card by the ticket office.

That was an aberration caused by administration - all other years since we moved to St Mary's and STs became easily accessible it was done on finance.

That was an aberration caused by administration - all other years since we moved to St Mary's and STs became easily accessible it was done on finance.

That makes sense.

Be curious to know how many payments failed and what effect the system had on ticket office staff/resources as from a customer perspective it made everything very straight forward.

I don't buy some of these "I'm so broke because of the recession" stuff. Going to a football match is 30 quid every other week. If finances are THAT tight should you really be going to football? Not saying that you don't deserve to, but are your life/family priorities in the right place?

That would be why a lot of people are saying they won't be buying/able to buy Season tickets then. That and not being able to spread the payments.

If it was just a matter of finding about £50 for each of the next 6 months... not really a problem.

Fair enough, I've not had an ST before so don't know how it works. However, judging by the previous posts, there was no finance company in place last year, and perhaps he club have been stung by it.

With that in mind, why not bring back in a finance company and pass whatever costs are involved back on to the customer?

Lots of people can't or don't want to get a credit card just for a season ticket, and the club should have recognised by making things as easy for the customer as possible.

That makes sense.

Be curious to know how many payments failed and what effect the system had on ticket office staff/resources as from a customer perspective it made everything very straight forward.

Surely from that point it was easy for them, if the payment didn't go through it would be us contacted ny the bank wouldn't it? Then it's automatically re-submitted for payment, if then it doesn't go through you send a steward to that seat and make sure said customer isn't there!

I understand that the fan could just sit elsewhere, but how many fans go alone? You normally sit with mates!

Surely from that point it was easy for them, if the payment didn't go through it would be us contacted ny the bank wouldn't it? Then it's automatically re-submitted for payment,

It depends, mine was set up on my debit card so presumably if the payment had failed it would only be the club who would be aware of it as their new, stand-alone transaction would not go through, unlike with a direct debit or standing order where the bank will write to the account holder and levy a charge.

Yes, all very helpful mate.

I'm due to do my credit card reshuffle anyway.

However, I think you should seriously consider whether it's time to stop digging that hole for yourself.

You're beginning to sound rather patronising and I'm sure some of our fellow posters may be thinking you're a posh tw*t.

No offence intended. :)

It depends, mine was set up on my debit card so presumably if the payment had failed it would only be the club who would be aware of it as their new, stand-alone transaction would not go through, unlike with a direct debit or standing order where the bank will write to the account holder and levy a charge.

Yes of course, your right, it was never a standing order was it, it was a straight stand alone purchase.

Fair enough, I've not had an ST before so don't know how it works. However, judging by the previous posts, there was no finance company in place last year, and perhaps he club have been stung by it.

With that in mind, why not bring back in a finance company and pass whatever costs are involved back on to the customer?

Lots of people can't or don't want to get a credit card just for a season ticket, and the club should have recognised by making things as easy for the customer as possible.

Some of those lads charge about 17% APR and I think the club are to be lauded for not exposing fans to that sort of usury.

And obtaining a reduced price in exchange, there is an instalment plan, pay for your ticket every other week at the ground.Club must know that there would be a minor fuss about this so they really must know why they're doing it.

Probably something to do with not inciting people to take on credit which they may not be able to afford.

As opposed to making it very hard (for some) to pay "up front", especially if it is a Family (Mum,Dad, 2 kids)

I am lucky, and can afford to pay up front, but I know MANY Fans that simply cannot afford the outlay RIGHT NOW

The decision MUST be recinded, they are simply kicking the not so fortunates in the teeth IMHO

LOOK AFTER YOUR FANS, DON'T DISCRIMINATE AGAINST THEM

If you have a Season Ticket, you most likely will go to all the Home Games

If you don't have a Season Ticket, then come a wet windy rainy day, or a really Kr*p Opponent ........ You won't go Simples

Whichever way you look at it, this decision IS going to seriously implode on ST Sales:cool:

Can anyone actually think of a logical reason the club would stop this? what are the advantages for the club?

It gives the club all the money upfront to use in the Summer transfer window.

If people pay by installments then some of the money comes in after the window closes.

What a lovely attitude. YOu may be lucky not to have been affected but the vast majority of people have been royally screwed by the recession. That means no credit, certainly not a 0% card. And as for the saving up issue, well yes possibly if the club had announced back at the end of last season that would have been a possibility, but for them to announce in the club charter that they would have one in place then to go back on it is not on. YOu may be in the enviable position of having £400 to splash around, I, and many others like me, are not.

A tad OTT IMO.

Yes, all very helpful mate.

I'm due to do my credit card reshuffle anyway.

However, I think you should seriously consider whether it's time to stop digging that hole for yourself.

You're beginning to sound rather patronising and I'm sure some of our fellow posters may be thinking you're a posh tw*t.

No offence intended. :)

But this is it, I'm not posh!!!!

I will leave it though. If people want to bury their heads in the sand and use this as an excuse to not get a season ticket, that's up to them. There are ways of getting £300 together, even if you have a bad credit rating. It just depends how badly they want to do it. Perhaps they should look at http://www.moneysavingexpert.com to help them sort out their financial situation, or even Citizens Advice Bureau.

Either way, we've all had money troubles.

I do agree they should have let the fans know earlier so that they could budget for it.