No instalment plan!!!!

St. Jason

I applaud the policy taken by the club. Our owner didn't borrow anything to buy SFC, doesn't intend to borrow, in order to buy players or invest in the new training ground and obviously expects the fans to follow his excellent example.

The added bonus is that there will be no poor people attending games...

Oh dear, lovely classless society we live in

Lowe would never have treated his customers with such contempt ;)

Look, they should have let people know earlier, I agree with that, I just don't think it's the massive issue everyone makes of it!

Diby, mate, for a lot of people it is and will be a big deal. A lot of fans are on low income or have massive over heads with large mortgages etc. For a lot of fans the instalment plan was the only they could afford to go. Even the unemployed could afford to do it that way. After the last 2 years with the economic situation the way it is, a lot of previously sound, affluent people have lost loads, businesses, house etc, a lot of people through no fault of their own now find themselves with bad credit ratings and the instalment plan was a way to carry on supporting your team!!

I'm not renewing I'm getting my first season ticket (hopefully) at least now I have a price to save for. Luckily I'm due a long term service bonus which will go some way to helping out. As I'm not renewing I've got untill the 6th Aug so hopefully I can do it. I can understand those renewing being very upset this all seems very badly thought out even more so in light of the fans charter thingy.

I applaud the policy taken by the club. Our owner didn't borrow anything to buy SFC, doesn't intend to borrow, in order to buy players or invest in the new training ground and obviously expects the fans to follow his excellent example.

Will the club no longer play 'loan players' then???

Although i am lucky enough to be able afford to pay out right i think that the club are wrong in what they are doing but if you look at it from a business angle which unfortunately they will and i use my situation as an example you can see that the owners are being very cute. IE My renewel will be £328 = £14.26 per game if i didn't buy a season ticket for whatever reason and went to 15 games and pruchased my ticket from the ticket office in advance that would = £330 so in a season where the club and us the supporters are expecting success you can see that the likelyhood is that even with the club upsetting a large percentage of existing season ticket holders they will make more money this way as long as those that did not buy a season ticket outright attend a minimum of 15 games which lets be honest whether we like it or not you probably will if at the end of October, December, February be going to the games if we are top/second and will therefore more than likely do the 15 game threshold.

A post on the Echo website suggests that 100 people defaulted on the instalment plan last season - cancelled their DD and then sat in any old empty seat so as not to get caught. I can understand the club being concerned about this but the solution is simple - issue tickets on a match by match basis for those paying by instalment until it is paid off and then issue a season ticket book. If you miss your instalment then you don't get a ticket.

Not really

If people cannot get a credit card due to bad credit then that's their problem not SFC's

I think this is a good move. Only real fans will be there and hopefully this new plan will get rid of those benefit cheating spotty clowns at the back of northam.

These two post's are the most moronic ones I have ever read on this forum and that is saying something. Idiots!!!!

I don't live in Dibden Purlieu now, I'm up in London, and that says nothing about me, my wealth (which is still negative equity, I'm sure) or my credit rating. I'm just coming up with alternatives for people.

That's fair enough, how about this option :-

December 18th 2009

Southampton Football Club Statement;

Dear fans, we have been bowled over with the superb level of support we've had this season. We found ourselves in league 1 playing at our lowest level of football for some 50 years, yet we now find ourselves with not only higher league gates than last year, we have actually thousands more season ticket holders than last year, what a credit you all are to the City of Southampton. With Christmas fast approaching we are happy to once again offer a halve season ticket but please be advised, this will be the last season we'll be offering the instalment plan. We hope by giving this much notice, that our loyal and much loved fans will be able to put a little to one side each month to enable your fantastic continued support.

kind regards,

Big Nic

But the club don't seem to mind borrowing players do they ?

Email from the ticket office:

Dear ********* *****,

I’m sorry I am unable to give you an explanation for the fact that there is no payment plan this year,

We have only been given this information ourselves this morning.

Regards

Dear ********* *****,

I’m sorry I am unable to give you an explanation for the fact that there is no payment plan this year,

Regards

Couldn't they go and ask someone? I might try this approach at work. If someone asks me a question and I don't know the answer I'll just say I don't know, rather than try and find out....

Diby, mate, for a lot of people it is and will be a big deal. A lot of fans are on low income or have massive over heads with large mortgages etc. For a lot of fans the instalment plan was the only they could afford to go. Even the unemployed could afford to do it that way. After the last 2 years with the economic situation the way it is, a lot of previously sound, affluent people have lost loads, businesses, house etc, a lot of people through no fault of their own now find themselves with bad credit ratings and the instalment plan was a way to carry on supporting your team!!

December 18th 2009

Dear fans, we have been bowled over with the superb level of support we've had this season. We found ourselves in league 1 playing at our lowest level of football for some 50 years, yet we now find ourselves with not only higher league gates than last year, we have actually thousands more season ticket holders than last year, what a credit you all are to the City of Southampton. With Christmas fast approaching we are happy to once again offer a halve season ticket but please be advised, this will be the last season we'll be offering the instalment plan. We hope by giving this much notice, that our loyal and much loved fans will be able to put a little to one side each month to enable your fantastic continued support.

kind regards,

Big Nic

Exactly...

Another worrying point for those of us who don't have the lump sum available prior to the end of June is this...

"Season ticket sales will cease on Friday 6th August. Half season tickets will not be available this season and the Club will not be offering a payment instalment plan for season tickets."

Now I get paid on the 15th of each month, if I don't pay by July 15th the club will apparently not allow me a season ticket...

Madness...

Dear ********* *****,

Regards

You should reply to that email and say not good enough, if you don't know please refer my query to your manager.

I just think the communications department at the club are a mess at the moment. The end of last season was very strange, the southend programme affair when no one was able to give a comment or explanation.

As I am on holiday for 2 weeks in June I think i will not renew and just stick to the away games next year, can see crowds being down and the atmosphere at st marys has been getting worse over last couple of seasons anyway.

http://www.barclaysfootball.co.uk/card-details/index.php

hmmm seems the option of the Barclaycard is no longer there for season tickets ?

The point about loan players is if the club is not using borrowing and is now changing its policy on credit then to 'borrow' players rather than purchase players seems to run against that ethos.

Does it mean that all players purchased will be outright purchases? no structured payments? Does it mean the club will insist all players sold are paid for in one payment?

Lowe would never have treated his customers with such contempt ;)

Look, they should have let people know earlier, I agree with that, I just don't think it's the massive issue everyone makes of it!

You've quite clearly never been in a position to not be able to afford something, lucky you. If you can't understand the massive issue people have with forking out £700 for two season tickets in one payment with next to no notice then perhaps you should stay out of this thread.

Anybody had a reply from Luker yet?

Email sent but no response; I imagine his inbox will be pretty busy today.

I think the point is that most people who really want a season ticket will get one, whether it be by paying up front, new 0% credit card, normal credit card or other method.

However, the club have in no way gone the extra mile to attract new customers or keep existing ones. A lot of people, rightly or wrongly, don't want to feel like they have to jump through hoops to buy a particular product, and this WILL have the effect or discouraging some people, whether out of principle or apathy. In order to attract the maximum amount of customers the club needed to pull out the stops, and not make it much harder to buy into "Cortese's baby".

This is quite the PR gaffe by the club, and has the potential of hitting the hardcore support hardest of all.

Email sent but no response; I imagine his inbox will be pretty busy today.

I think the point is that most people who really want a season ticket will get one, whether it be by paying up front, new 0% credit card, normal credit card or other method.

However, the club have in no way gone the extra mile to attract new customers or keep existing ones. A lot of people, rightly or wrongly, don't want to feel like they have to jump through hoops to buy a particular product, and this WILL have the effect or discouraging some people, whether out of principle or apathy. In order to attract the maximum amount of customers the club needed to pull out the stops, and not make it much harder to buy into "Cortese's baby".

This is quite the PR gaffe by the club, and has the potential of hitting the hardcore support hardest of all.

Exactly right mate.

I want a season ticket, my son will be gutted when I tell him he hasn't got one either now. I simply cannot afford a one of payment NOW!!!

Seems the bright new future we were promised may contain some of the dark old failing of the previous regime, I mean for the ticket office to simply reply with "I don't know what's happening, we only found out this morning" would it not of been better to simply not reply, not until they had something to say anyway??

This statement has an air of arrogance about it...

"New season ticket sales, half season tickets & instalments

Season ticket sales will cease on Friday 6th August. Half season tickets will not be available this season and the Club will not be offering a payment instalment plan for season tickets."

I would be interested to hear exactly what proportion of previous season tickets were paid for by installments.

I would also be interested to hear how the club thinks that families who own mulitple tickets will pay for them despite leaving it so late to provide any information.

Lets say you have a family consisting of 1 adult & 2 children, that makes the total cost between £800 & £1000 depending on the age of the kids and where you sit. With 2 months to find the money I can see this being very difficult for a lot of families.

Edited by S41NTS

Exactly right mate.

I want a season ticket, my son will be gutted when I tell him he hasn't got one either now. I simply cannot afford a one of payment NOW!!!

Seems the bright new future we were promised may contain some of the dark old failing of the previous regime, I mean for the ticket office to simply reply with "I don't know what's happening, we only found out this morning" would it not of been better to simply not reply, not until they had something to say anyway??

My mate and his 3 kids are also unable to renew now.

Seems the bright new future we were promised may contain some of the dark old failing of the previous regime

It's inevitable that comparisons are made, but I think it's a bit unfair to do so.

This decision does indeed seem rather misguided, and goes directly against their own customer charter, where they specifically mention having an instalment plan. There must be a reason for the decision and I would like to hear more from the club before I comment too much further, but on the face of it, it is at best, very unhelpful to a lot of fans.

I mean for the ticket office to simply reply with "I don't know what's happening, we only found out this morning" would it not of been better to simply not reply, not until they had something to say anyway??

Agreed, although that sounds to me like the slightly naive answer of one employee rather than any kind of composed response. If I were the staff, to be quite honest, I would be rather annoyed at having to deal with things without more background info or some kind of statement to send out because I would *know* that these kind of enquiries would be coming in.

All in all, this is not going to encourage new ST holders, and will put off some existing ones, some through financial necessity. I personally agree with the mantra of operating without any debt, (and have been working towards it for the last 7 years!) but to do so with regard to ST's at such short notice is far from ideal.

This could and should've been communicated much better IMO. As a result, it seems my thoughts about getting a ST have been extinguished, along with many others.

It's inevitable that comparisons are made, but I think it's a bit unfair to do so.

This decision does indeed seem rather misguided, and goes directly against their own customer charter, where they specifically mention having an instalment plan. There must be a reason for the decision and I would like to hear more from the club before I comment too much further, but on the face of it, it is at best, very unhelpful to a lot of fans.

Agreed, although that sounds to me like the slightly naive answer of one employee rather than any kind of composed response. If I were the staff, to be quite honest, I would be rather annoyed at having to deal with things without more background info or some kind of statement to send out because I would *know* that these kind of enquiries would be coming in.

All in all, this is not going to encourage new ST holders, and will put off some existing ones, some through financial necessity. I personally agree with the mantra of operating without any debt, (and have been working towards it for the last 7 years!) but to do so with regard to ST's at such short notice is far from ideal.

This could and should've been communicated much better IMO. As a result, it seems my thoughts about getting a ST have been extinguished, along with many others.

Sorry Minty, just clarify, I'm not for one minute comparing Liehber/Cortesse with Lowe/Cowen, just saying that the communication (lack of) is comparable!

Why should the club give interest free loans in effect? Means the club loses money.

1. It encourages attendance, and generates sales in other areas (food/drink/megastore) as a result.

2. There are various ways of doing it so the club doesn't lose any money at all.

3. The club themselves said they would offer this, in their customer charter published last year.

4. I agree that debt is undesirable, and we should all be encouraged to operate without having any, but for many that will be a gradual process, and companies that are in a position to help maintain their own customer base, and help customers achieve it (by communicating their intentions in advance) can help matters a lot.

Sorry Minty, just clarify, I'm not for one minute comparing Liehber/Cortesse with Lowe/Cowen, just saying that the communication (lack of) is comparable!

Fair one, I agree communication is essential. This decision would've been taken with clear commercial reasoning behind it, and therefore I think people would respect the decision a lot more if we were given the information, even if they don't agree with it.

Why should the club give interest free loans in effect? Means the club loses money.

a) doesn't necessarily have to be interest free

b) actually by paying for services up front i.e. matches in second half of the season (instalments satisfied by December) the club is still getting money in quicker than they would if customers paid on on a match by match basis and therefore are gaining via increased interest on funds in the bank.

Quite happy to do it last year, the year before, the year before, the year before, the year before etc

Quite happy to put it in the Fans Charter - "facilities for disabled supporters and their enablers. these can be booked at the ticket office in person or by telephone.

- a payment plan for season tickets to make them cost-effective." The club offered this facility, which I happily used for years, now they withdraw said facility which is offered as part of the fans charter!!

Happy reading - http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/staticFiles/5f/44/0,,10280~148575,00.pdf

IIRC it never has been interest free. I think that you, in effect, took out a loan through the club which did have interest on it. It is only recently that you have been able to do it by giving your debit card number and setting up a direct debit. Might be wrong though.

Quite happy to do it last year, the year before, the year before, the year before, the year before etc

Quite happy to put it in the Fans Charter - "facilities for disabled supporters and their enablers. these can be booked at the ticket office in person or by telephone.

- a payment plan for season tickets to make them cost-effective." The club offered this facility, which I happily used for years, now they withdraw said facility which is offered as part of the fans charter!!

Happy reading - http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/staticFiles/5f/44/0,,10280~148575,00.pdf

Anybody who has their fan charter at home should take it down to the ticket office and show them the above paragraph. Perhaps even send it to NC highlighting it aswell. I believe this was only produced in December 2009 so why the sudden u-turn in the space of 6 months?

Luckily for me it looks like my brother will lend me the money, still not happy about this atall though. As had already been said, had they come out earlier this year and said we won't be offering payment plans then fair enough people would have the chance to save up but to do it now and give people a months notice is just plain stupid. With people going on holiday in the summer, the country only just coming out of recession it just doesn't make sense to be asking people, especially families of 3 or 4 who all have STs the best part of a grand in 30 days just doesn't make sense.

The club wouldn't lose a penny...

If anything season tickets are almost a reverse form of credit, you're paying advance...

Even if you pay in installments you've paid the full amount by December and therefore paid in advance of the next 5 months...

The supporters' charter people keep referring to clearly states 09/10 season on the top of the first page.

Yes but it only came out in December. Why bother to mention that there will be payment plans if at the next season ticket window you don't offer them?

IIRC it never has been interest free. I think that you, in effect, took out a loan through the club which did have interest on it. It is only recently that you have been able to do it by giving your debit card number and setting up a direct debit. Might be wrong though.

Nope.... they simply charged your debit or credit card in a series of installments.

December 18th 2009

kind regards,

Big Nic

Agreed, that would have been better. What's the bet we get a statement explaining the situation sooner rather than later? They do tend to follow what we do on here pretty regularly.

Absolute bulls**t!!!!! luckily a friend has stepped in and offered to lend me the cash otherwise id be screwed.

I find it hilarious that people believe ANYONE can just pop online and get a credit card, we have just come out of a recession which has hit alot of peoples credit score hard (mine included), last season i paid via debit card split over 6 months which was ideal.

Can anyone actually think of a logical reason the club would stop this? what are the advantages for the club?

Interesting paragraph beside the ticketing section...

• On occasions we will actively seek feedback from our supporters with regards to ticket prices of forthcoming cup ties

• Via our Supporter engagement policy, we will seek feedback on ticket prices for forthcoming seasons in an attempt to ensure maximum supporter buy in.

The supporters' charter people keep referring to clearly states 09/10 season on the top of the first page.

Didn't realise it was 2011 already??

Seriously though, are we to have a new fans charter every season then? Why did this one only last 6 months? Surely at the end of the charter it should be outlined that the charter was "for this season only"

Just a thought!!