St Etienne interested in Schneiderlin

This argument has more holes in it than 2pac's vest.

For a start Lambert was hardly ever negated by defenders. There were times when he was playing as the lone striker and had bugger all service, but that wasn't his fault. Schneiderlin did have bad games. I'm pretty sure he played in both Swindon games and our midfield was terrible in both of them. We've also had games where we've played brilliantly but Schneiderlin wasn't on the pitch, such as the JPT final.

Didn't think we played particularly well in JPT TBH, even though we easily beat Carlisle.

And yes Lambert has been dominated, not often, but he was a few times.

That was my point really mate, when Schneiderlin has a poor game/doesn't play we don't look any where near the same side as when he is good.

IMHO he is not worth 1m and I also find it funny how the sun report it.

Who told them?

The player to bump up his wages?

The French team? (bad idea as it creates a bidding war)

His agent? means he is unhappy then?

If he wanted to go then anything near a million will get us something like Danns and Stock which leaves the extra money set by for a good player to come in.

The rumour I most feared this summer has started today in The Sun. This is from the BBC Gossip section. Hopefully nothing in it.

Southampton midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin, 19, is a £1m target for French team St Etienne. (The Sun)

I was down at Guichard the other day,helping with the younger players, didn't hear any rumours about Morgan though.Still could have been some sort of informal approach when he was down in Toulon I suppose.It's no secret that the FFF want him playing at what they consider to be a higher level, St Etienne doesn't fit that description though,not really.What is more it's all very political down there just now the sporting director has just quit after a row ith the president and Galtier (the coach) is under review.

I'm amazed at those that don't realise what a good player Schneiderlin is! Along with Lallana they have by far the best chance of making it in a top flight side.

He certainly wouldn't leave for £1m so this story is clearly rubbish to start with.

With his contract not ending until 2012 they can turn down any offer they don't like. Of course if he wants to move he wil move but 2 years on a contract and a big financhial backer means Saints can turn down offers until it reaches an acceptable level. £1m is no where near high enough.

If the story is true (it is the Sun, after all) - St Etienne are Ligue 1, and the draw of that vs. another season in English League 1 may be too strong, especially in view of the comments made by the French under 21 manager about him playnig in English League 1

I doubt we would let him go for a million pounds, though. Didn't we pay Strasbourg 1.5 million Euros for him ?

If the story is true (it is the Sun, after all) - St Etienne are Ligue 1, and the draw of that vs. another season in English League 1 may be too strong, especially in view of the comments made by the French under 21 manager about him playnig in English League 1

I doubt we would let him go for a million pounds, though. Didn't we pay Strasbourg 1.5 million Euros for him ?

Probably not yet, it was an "up to"sum. Trouble is playing in League 1 isn't good for any talented player, gives them bad habits and they lose value. I watched most of the Toulon Festival games and the same comment kept recurring on the Franch commentaries "League 1 that's like playing in the National (french semi pro third division)isn't it, that's a strange choice he made there" they didn't seem to know anything about our relegation or troubles last year.Playing for Saints is damaging his standing and will continue to do so, so he might well accept a lower Ligue 1 club to get out of it if enough pressure is put on him to do s. Don't mind myself, I watch StE about 15 games a season so I'd certainly gain in the exchange.

Every player has his price and if we were to get an offer for Morgan that was to good to turn down, I would say good luck to the lad and thats. LBH there are other midfield players out there that are as good as him that we could attract.

If Morgan goes, we will not win the league.

We might be luck to reach the play offs. I cannot remember us having one fantastic performance while he wasn't in the team last season. It was like there was no midfield, just defence to strikers.

This, and i echo MLG in saying it baffles me that people miss his obvious talents !!

We might be luck to reach the play offs. I cannot remember us having one fantastic performance while he wasn't in the team last season. It was like there was no midfield, just defence to strikers.

behave

with the money we will no doubt spend and the players we have..we should go up with or without morgan

.NO your not wrong, think I read the same history book...........:smt038.

not much of a history book then, Corsica was ceded to France by the Kingdom of Genoa in 1768, ie one year before Napoleon's birth. He was born in Corsica after it became part of France.Before unification in about 1860 Italy as we know it was just a mishmash of kingdoms, duchies and papal states.

Didn't realise Schneiderlin played for Norwich last season.

Morgan makes us tick & his good games coincide with saints best games

BUT if we could get 2m-2.5m for him in cash could AP buy someone as good if not better with the money?

AP could probably buy someone more suited to League 1 yes, but it would take a lot of money to buy someone as good as Morgan who will never be a real force at this level.THe lads talents are by far superior to our league, those of players around him are detrimental to them.It's a strange situation but not unknown, if you drop say Giggs or Lampard to this level they would probably be far less effective than they actually are, it's football,

Morgan makes us tick & his good games coincide with saints best games

BUT if we could get 2m-2.5m for him in cash could AP buy someone as good if not better with the money?

He could buy a whole L1 side for £2.5m! One player, at that valuation, is unlikely to want to play in L1.

If he wants a midefield general, that boy at Exeter who came form Weston Super mud really impressed me at SMS. He made them play - and they played football even with 10 men. £0.5m.

So he is not going to Arsenal, as per the original arrangement when he signed for us then??:)

:lol:

Ah, yes I remember that particularly cunning plan hatched up by Lowe and Wenger!

Back in the real world... didn't we pay something like €1.2m for him? He must be worth more than that now so if there is interest and he wants to go I would certainly expect to see some hardball from Cortese if €1m is all that is on the table.

If we could get £2.5m for him I would take it. He is good but not that good and does have a mental problem when his petulance shines threw.

Exactly (apart from the "threw" bit ;) ). He's decent but certainly not irreplaceable.

"League 1 that's like playing in the National (french semi pro third division)isn't it, that's a strange choice he made there" they didn't seem to know anything about our relegation or troubles last year.

Nor do they realise he's playing in front of average of 20,000 crowds which I suspect is pretty respectable compared with St. Etienne's? Morgan's Facebook page, written by some French guy, comments on the amazing crowd at Wembley.

Nor do they realise he's playing in front of average of 20,000 crowds which I suspect is pretty respectable compared with St. Etienne's? Morgan's Facebook page, written by some French guy, comments on the amazing crowd at Wembley.

Morgan?

Can't agree with that - Lambert\Connolly\Fonte are better and several others in the team are at least as good IMO.

He's a decent midfielder at this level and may go on to become decent at a higher level but I won't be losing any sleep if he goes.

I've seen much better players than Schneiderlin go and we survived OK.

OK .... apart from getting relegated twice, going into administration, and almost going out of existence. But yes, we did survive. :D

Can't agree with that - Lambert\Connolly\Fonte are better and several others in the team are at least as good IMO.

He's a decent midfielder at this level and may go on to become decent at a higher level but I won't be losing any sleep if he goes.

I've seen much better players than Schneiderlin go and we survived OK.

Connolly did a fraction of Schneiderlins contribution this season.

I feel he was the most important player to how we performed as a team this season, bar none. Lambert player of season due to doing his bit so well but he disappeared at times (then to pop up and score) whereas MS was central to much of saints good play this season imho.

I feel he was the most important player to how we performed as a team this season, bar none. Lambert player of season due to doing his bit so well but he disappeared at times (then to pop up and score) whereas MS was central to much of saints good play this season imho.

you are joking ffs...we played some hoofball alot of the time..or at least very direct play

even simple throw ins down the line (in their half) are ALL aimed towards ricky....we simply would not have been no where near the top without lambert

I can kind of see where you are coming from, but Lambo was absolutely pivotal, without him it wouldn't have done much at all - he contributed to to 58 of our 85 league goals! (scoring 36 - assisting 22) (i'd say 50% of those were hoofed, rather than passing moves as well)

Morgon did well for us last season and i stand by the fact that i believe we'll be weaker without him, but i still don't put Morgan above rickie in-terms of his overall contribution.

Ties in with what I heard (and posted on the HCDAJFU thread) the other day, that a number of French clubs are looking at him. Couldn't see him going for £1m though, that's a paltry sum considering we paid £1.2m for him and he's a key, key player in our side.

I'm amazed at those that don't realise what a good player Schneiderlin is! Along with Lallana they have by far the best chance of making it in a top flight side.

He certainly wouldn't leave for £1m so this story is clearly rubbish to start with.

With his contract not ending until 2012 they can turn down any offer they don't like. Of course if he wants to move he wil move but 2 years on a contract and a big financhial backer means Saints can turn down offers until it reaches an acceptable level. £1m is no where near high enough.

The voice of reason, those who think other players are better how do you judge them?

I see what you are saying BUT you are basing that on what we currently have or had last season.

If AP goes out and gets a couple of good central midfield players then who knows what may happen.

I can't see us replacing Schneiderlin, we'd just end up with another player in the Hammond mould which would force us to play a far more direct style like in the JPT final.

If we're going to progress we need to keep hold of our best young players and Schneiderlin is one of those players.

Offer him a pay rise so he's at a similar level to Davis, Fonte and Lambert. Should probably do the same with Lallana, securing the future of those two should be our main priority.

Be absolutely gutted if he left, just loved watching him play, expect him to move on at some time but just give us one more season Morgan please.

I love watching him play as well but I think mine is for his footballing skills rather than your reasons :smile:

I can't see us replacing Schneiderlin, we'd just end up with another player in the Hammond mould which would force us to play a far more direct style like in the JPT final.

If we're going to progress we need to keep hold of our best young players and Schneiderlin is one of those players.

Offer him a pay rise so he's at a similar level to Davis, Fonte and Lambert. Should probably do the same with Lallana, securing the future of those two should be our main priority.

Agreed, i'm not sure who people think we can replace him with?? Some fans just seem too relaxed that he'll be easy-peasy to replace and we'll be fine.

In the league we're in no one can replace him. So you're spot on, I'd offer him a new contract ASAP, as it was an original lowe contract he was on with relegation clauses he's probably only on around 1k p/w!

anybody with an example of him dominating a game? I haven't seen any examples yet

Milwall at home - easily our best player that day.

Southend away - Probably his best performance.

Huddersfield home

Wallsall away

Just off the top of my head, plenty of other MOTM performances along the way. Basically does a lot more than Hammond and he's six years younger.

Huddersfield home

Wallsall away

Just off the top of my head, plenty of other MOTM performances along the way. Basically does a lot more than Hammond and he's six years younger.

He was very good in those games, but I wouldn't say he was THE stand out player. Only 20% of people seem to agree with you regarding the Millwall game:

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=15678

My oppinion of Schneiderlin is:

Good player - Definitely

One of our best - Definitely

The Best player - No

Irreplaceable - Definitely not.

Of course, if the owners have enough money not to care about taking a hit then they can play hard ball... Kick up a fuss son and you can spend the next 2 years training alone without a game. From what we've seen of Cortese so far, it wouldn't suprise me.

either that, or the old "waking up next to a horse's head" ploy...........

He was very good in those games, but I wouldn't say he was THE stand out player. Only 20% of people seem to agree with you regarding the Millwall game:

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=15678

My oppinion of Schneiderlin is:

Good player - Definitely

One of our best - Definitely

The Best player - No

Irreplaceable - Definitely not.

I think that poll is flawed - I meant voting Murty, Thomas etc is just ridiculous.

Southend especially he was top draw, very unlucky not to win a penalty and even in the terrible conditions he really bossed the game.

I do agree with the part in bold, but I would add an extra line. Player with the most potential - Yes.

Huddersfield home

Wallsall away

add MK Dons away to that list, a game in which he was nigh on perfect.

Anyone that thinks it would be easy to find an as good replacement, even with the £2.5m, is kidding themselves. There are very few players of Morgans quality in this league and we have two of them in the squad already. There maybe better players out there but how many if any are willing to drop a division? Centre midfield is critical and if he goes it will leave a gaping hole in our midfield.

Edited by Chez

Anyone that thinks it would be easy to find an as good replacement, even with the £2.5m, is kidding themselves. There are very few players of Morgans quality in this league and we have two of them in the squad already. There maybe better players out there but how many if any are willing to drop a division? Centre midfield is critical and if he goes it will leave a gaping hole in our midfield.

I would disagree with that too. That was a sh*t game really, which was only three oportunistic goals (one of which was brilliant) different from the trip to Wycombe a couple of weeks before. Thought Morgan was pretty average and the only mention I could find of him in the match report was when he got booked. I'm not saying he had a bad game, but I don't see how anyone can call that performance perfect.

One of his best performances I can remeber was the 2-2 league draw, against Norwich I think. It was the game Connolly scored a cracker anyway.

Millwall was a good performance, but he made that dodgy pass to give away a penalty and seemed to lose it after that.

Anyone who thinks that Schneiderlin wouldn't be a big loss is clearly mental - watch Southend away and then watch a game when we didn't have him, the difference will be astounding. The way that we turned over Huddersfield at home (5-0) was mostly down to his play, being able to pick out a pass and create chances out of nothing. Without him, in say, the Yeovil away game (1-0, 93rd minute goal), we struggled for most of the game and were outplayed for a solid 45 minutes in the second half. Some might say that was down to the pitch, but that's not really an excuse as it was one of the last games of the season and we'd played on pitches like that already at Stockport, Exeter, Wycombe etc.

Morgan gives us creativity in midfield, his game has been vastly improved this season compared to last and he's now an absolutely vital part of our team. Without the likes of Harding, Lallana, Schneiderlin and Lambert, we would be nowhere near L1 title challengers. I can't think of any players that are as good as him that would a) Drop to L1 level and b) Be as affordable as he is, as he's on far less than Lambert and Connolly for example.

Ties in with what I heard (and posted on the HCDAJFU thread) the other day, that a number of French clubs are looking at him. Couldn't see him going for £1m though, that's a paltry sum considering we paid £1.2m for him and he's a key, key player in our side.

He is good but not irreplaceable. He is though at least twice the player that we bought.

This again.

Anyone who doesn't see him as our best and most influential player is missing something IMO.

I honestly think that putting him in a team of better players will also make him much better aswell.

I watched the Toulouse tournament ?? I think it was that one.

He was phenominal and easily France's under 20's best player in the game i watched and scored a cracker.

He is 20, is argueably more influential then Lambert and we won't replace him at this level. End of story.