Saints V England

paulwantsapint

People forget that England are rubbish at football and generally always have been.

A second round exit isn't underperforming, it's about average for us. There is no crisis, nothing needs to be done but accept what the rest of the world already know.

The problem has always been the same with England. There's a little gang of players that are automatically on the team sheet e.g Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard. And Gerrard is never a captain. He's a **** Liverpool captain. The sooner this "golden generation" retire the better.

And we play who instead, exactly? I agree with the sentiment, but the problem still remains... we are producing players like Upson and playing them in the World Cup... because there's no one else!

I agree with the posters that say that the England players play better for their club because they're surrounded by world class foreigners - while we're not on the same level (yet), that's true for Saints too - without Morgan last season, we looked much weaker.

Foreigners have, on the whole, been good for the domestic game, but in turn it has ruined England's chances of ever winning anything.

And we play who instead, exactly? I agree with the sentiment, but the problem still remains... we are producing players like Upson and playing them in the World Cup... because there's no one else!

That's not entirely true I would suggest. The reason the Rooney's, Gerrard's etc get games at the top level is because they fit in with the game plan for the team. Take away their foreign team-mates and they are stuffed. Actually, there are plenty of very good young players in English football with great skill - e.g. Walcott, O'Hara - however many are overlooked or completely screwed-up by their club to play 2nd fiddle (or worse) to a foreigner(s) or put out to loan.

IF England had a Manager that put together the best TEAM based on the best player attributes at his disposal, instead of including players that SUPPOSEDLY are the best England has to offer, then we might see a way forward. IMO this will only happen with an English manager. The German team are a perfect example of this approach - who had heard of most their team before Sunday?

That's not entirely true I would suggest. The reason the Rooney's, Gerrard's etc get games at the top level is because they fit in with the game plan for the team. Take away their foreign team-mates and they are stuffed. Actually, there are plenty of very good young players in English football with great skill - e.g. Walcott, O'Hara - however many are overlooked or completely screwed-up by their club to play 2nd fiddle (or worse) to a foreigner(s) or put out to loan.

IF England had a Manager that put together the best TEAM based on the best player attributes at his disposal, instead of including players that SUPPOSEDLY are the best England has to offer, then we might see a way forward. IMO this will only happen with an English manager. The German team are a perfect example of this approach - who had heard of most their team before Sunday?

I think you maybe wrong I dont think there were many decent player that were not tried

Walcott was and was found wanting

By the way I dont know many of the players in any of the World Cup teams who do not play in the Premier League

• 2 years later...