Design a new SaintsWeb Banner

stevegrant

Gotta say I like B Rabbits effort, but none of the others are that far behind either. Can anybody tell me what software you are using to produce these banners please?

Photoshop for me, you should be able to, ahum, get it on the internet if you're a bit savvy. ;)

That said, GIMP is a free software facility which is very similar to PS.

Photoshop for me, you should be able to, ahum, get it on the internet if you're a bit savvy. ;)

That said, GIMP is a free software facility which is very similar to PS.

Cheers CL - I actually already have GIMP installed so I may have a play around with that. My problem is that I dont understand the basics of imaging software, layers, floating layers and the like so this could be a bit of an uphill battle. Thanks for your help though.

Cheers CL - I actually already have GIMP installed so I may have a play around with that. My problem is that I dont understand the basics of imaging software, layers, floating layers and the like so this could be a bit of an uphill battle. Thanks for your help though.

It's hard to learn from scratch I found and I'm by no means an expert but once you crack the basics, you start to experiment and learn more and more.

It's also quite fun too.

There are many tutorials online both on PS blogs and on YT which are extremely helpful so it might be worth just cracking a few tuts and when you're confident, start applying your own ideas :)

I dont understand the basics of imaging software, layers, floating layers and the like so this could be a bit of an uphill battle. Thanks for your help though.

Layers...simples.... just imagine each layer is like a piece of tracing paper...each piece of tracing paper has something on it..and when you put them all together on top of each other, they make a picture. You can move some layers to the front, some to the back....remove bits from certain ones etc etc.

Essentially each component you have to a drawing, put it on a different layer...sky, grass, people, tree, car...one for each.

The 125th Anniversary badge should be used.

Which none of the designs have so far! :)

Firstly...it's one of the worst pieces of graphics i've seen...yuck! Someone on here did a FAR better version of it...worst of all..someone probably got paid a fortune to make that badge...

Secondly, it would be out of date within a year....although thinking about it...might not be a bad thing as it means there could be a banner competition each year :minigun:](*,):smt089:rolleyes::o:):p:D:cool:

Secondly, it would be out of date within a year

I doubt the club will be returning to the current badge in 2011/12 and will have a new badge after the anniversary season.

So makes more sense to use the 125th badge in the banner.

p.s. that orange colour is horrible to read :D

OK, it ain't great but I'm entering the novice class:

saintsweblogo2.jpg

or

saintsweblogo.jpg

... still workin' on it though, and learning as I go...!

BTW - thanks to B Rabbit for the layers advice. Any way of getting rid of the green and blue channels in GIMP...??

With new club crest - and that's me done for now:

saintsweblogo3.jpg

Edited by Micky

A quick Friday night effort....

sfc2copy.jpg

I like this one B, should the text nt be in a brighter colour though, orange for example? That is the benchmark imho.

Layers...simples.... just imagine each layer is like a piece of tracing paper...each piece of tracing paper has something on it..and when you put them all together on top of each other, they make a picture. You can move some layers to the front, some to the back....remove bits from certain ones etc etc.

Essentially each component you have to a drawing, put it on a different layer...sky, grass, people, tree, car...one for each.

Thanks for explaining 'layers' B, seriously I have never gottten my head around the lingo before. Not that I shall be trying but at least now I know how they are buily up.

Great goal btw, I really wanted you to score mate although Spades was motm, you by far displayed the greatest 'Spirit of Southampton' on the pitch.

Being basically an ideas man :rolleyes:, and not in a position to design anything of any real competency just at the mo, could I venture a few suggestions that some of you may want to think about playing with.

1. Moving GIFs?

2. A selection of the club badges (moving across the background), including those developed by forum members over the past few weeks?

3. A little bit of yellow and blue in there somewhere?

4. Bobby Stokes and the FA Cup.

Edited by RonManager

website_mockup1.jpg

I like that, but haven't you extended the boundaries there? I thought that we were limited to a 400 x 100 banner, which would sit something like this:

mockupandlogo3.jpg

After Minty posted the mock up, I thought that there was probably room to spare, I just wonder if there is some other reason as to whether it's usable or not.

Edited by Micky

The main reason I've limited it to 400px wide is because there isn't a fixed width of the red header, it depends on the available width on the user's screen.

If the available width is 800px (the vast majority of users, except some mobile users, will have at least this amount), the user menu on the right covers almost half of the available width, hence leaving 400px to play with. I can increase the space vertically by as much as required, but it starts to take up too much room after a while.

The main reason I've limited it to 400px wide is because there isn't a fixed width of the red header, it depends on the available width on the user's screen.

If the available width is 800px (the vast majority of users, except some mobile users, will have at least this amount), the user menu on the right covers almost half of the available width, hence leaving 400px to play with. I can increase the space vertically by as much as required, but it starts to take up too much room after a while.

Aaaaahhhh right - cheers Steve - even to the non pc literate, it maketh sence now.