Hants v Yorks - CCC

Weston Saint

So in the end it's not going to make a scrap of difference that we should have batted first or whether we should have declared 9 down or not! Early finish looms.

I think they should seriously up the amount of points for a win.

I think they should seriously up the amount of points for a win.

They did, this season and reduced the points for a draw though years ago you got nothing for a draw which (in)famously robbed Hants of the CC in 1974 when their final game was rained off totally and they got no points. Worcs meanwhile ( who Hants had thrashed a few weeks earlier) managed to play and win and pipped us by a few points.

They did, this season and reduced the points for a draw though years ago you got nothing for a draw which (in)famously robbed Hants of the CC in 1974 when their final game was rained off totally and they got no points. Worcs meanwhile ( who Hants had thrashed a few weeks earlier) managed to play and win and pipped us by a few points.

Sadly I remember that all too clearly. 229 to 227 IIRC.

Boring Yorkshire refused to set a target.

Reason for their declaration was that they were carrying over a -2 over rate from the first innings whch would have meant a 2 point penalty.

Opened the bowling with their 2 spinners to get it back to 0 which they did.

Hour delay did not help but Yorkshire never loooked up for it.

Good match for David Balcolme. Bowled well and looked a genuine number 8 batting.

I presume maybe the captains could not reach an agreement on the target,or Yorkshire

were not prepared to lose their second championship game in a week,by setting a gettable target. Either way what a diabolical advert for championship cricket.

A third scenario is that they have not forgiven Dimi for not declaring at Headingly either

last year or the year before. I am sure Weston Saint will probably know the answer.

Yorkshire didn't set a target because the pitch was just too benign. It was too easy to survive on which Hants would have done if their chase had faltered early.

Hants would have done the same if the roles had been reversed.

9pts that puts you back to the top was the sensible albeit the safe option.

Some games turn out like this unfotunately. Hope for a better game at Scarborough in August .