Is player skill or commitment more important currently?

TopGun

Recognising that some of the possible talent that we have in the younger players may not be fulfilled as we would like it, I wonder how the potential skill and visible effort of players should be judged by the management team.

It seems to me that certain players in the squad such as Wotton who are not the most talented are putting required effort in whilst others don't seem to realise what is expected.

Wotton's on the pitch ranting at McGoldrick and others against Barnsley is one example though I am aware that McGoldrick is getting a slating at the moment. Perhaps rightly. Apparently Wotton had a proper pop at some of his colleagues in the dressing room after that game also.

JP's recent comments about certain players being "too sweet on themselves" and "not concerned enough about losing" also indicate that there is a problem. But JP is the man in charge.

I'm coming to the conclusion that some of the potentially talented younger players are simply not intelligent to realise the lucky position they are in, in terms of their wages and social status as young men. As it stands I think it should be made aware to them that despite their relatively affluent lifestyles as teenagers and slightly older, their lack of apparent commitment may ensure that they will be remembered as partially responsible for relegation to the English third tier, something not seen at Southampton since the 1950s. Perhaps they just don't get it or don't care.

I have a controversial suggestion for the future: all youth or younger players signed to the academy or squad should be vetted for suitability as well as talent. Those who fail to pass a "decency" test based on background and even intelligence should be passed over.

Those who demonstrate a probable lack of commitment and loyalty to the club and a potential for deluded self aggrandizement have no role to play at Saints IMO.

I await the incoming flak! :cool:

Edited by TopGun