Imported Players

TijuanaTim

I think we should hire Terry Cooper again and ask him to scout the CIS countries. There must be loads of unknown talent in Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan.

Then if we add that to USA players that Tim will tip us off about we will be bloody brilliant.

I think we should hire Terry Cooper again and ask him to scout the CIS countries. There must be loads of unknown talent in Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan.

Then if we add that to USA players that Tim will tip us off about we will be bloody brilliant.

Not convinced.

There could be some post-Cold War tension in the camp then. Best off just forgetting about the USA for the reasons given in Jawillwill's post earlier IMO.

I guess that in the past though Brazil and Argentina have been two of the most prolific producers of 'exported' talent, some of their players have not been well suited to the English game (especially Brazil). Yes there are many excellent exceptions (especially from Argentina), but also many flops.

In the case of the French, there is a lot of success, also some of the Scandanvian countries. The Netherlands and to a certain extent Belguim have provided more success than failure. Many African and Concacaf players do not qualify and if they did would not play as low as Div III. There have not been too many Asian successes and I am not sure if the Aussies still qualify (y'know old Commonwealth ties or something??).

Maybe there is a few more 'Svenssons' out there, both were very good business.

So you're not expecting problems obtaining work permits?

Wot, in THIS country! No way! They let all the blacks and muslims in before the good white people! Pretty soon all the Southampton players will be black muslims rapists and paedophiles and none of them will speak English. This bloody country!

That is frankly laughable and shows pretty poor knowledge of football. There is no way you should have Belgium higher up than Brazil. Brazil should beat least ten places above Belgium. They're one of the best teams in the world FFS.

I think you're a bit upset because the following teams are all ranked above Norway:

163 Nauru

164 Navassa Island

165 Nepal

166 Netherlands

167 Netherlands Antilles

168 New Caledonia

169 New Zealand

170 Nicaragua

171 Niger

172 Nigeria

173 Niue

174 Norfolk Island

175 Northern Mariana Islands

176 Norway

You're not even as good as the Nigers.

Ron Davez?

It's the Ponty magic. :lol:

I guess that in the past though Brazil and Argentina have been two of the most prolific producers of 'exported' talent, some of their players have not been well suited to the English game (especially Brazil). Yes there are many excellent exceptions (especially from Argentina), but also many flops.

In the case of the French, there is a lot of success, also some of the Scandanvian countries. The Netherlands and to a certain extent Belguim have provided more success than failure. Many African and Concacaf players do not qualify and if they did would not play as low as Div III. There have not been too many Asian successes and I am not sure if the Aussies still qualify (y'know old Commonwealth ties or something??).

I've just done a quick search and it turns out there are!

Bo Svensson (DEN, Mainz)

Karl Svensson (SWE, Caen)

Mathias Svensson (SWE, Elfsborg)

Where is Akrotiri if it isn't the British base in Cyprus?:confused:

Top place - my first son was born there...!!! Thus making him eligible to play for Cyprus, not that he's good enough to play for Cyprus like, but you know, if he was, he could. Wouldn't be allowed to play for the USA though - luckily...! ;)

Good spot, the list also includes Dekehlia which is the other main base in Cyprus. It also has "Isla Malvinas" in brackets next to the Falkland Islands for some reason.

Top place - my first son was concieved there...! See post above. ;)

P.S. it is actually spelt Dhekelia

From which countries will/would/could suit Saints cause the best...just as a generalization?

It's spelt generalisation...i thought you were English?! ;)

And i suspect the reason you made this thread in the first place is because now the seasons over you don't have anything to moan about anymore...;)

Qualify for what?

Qualify for what?

Qualify to play football. I have often noticed your posts and you're clearly a very intelligent poster, but you are displaying a level of stupidity that surprises me. Unless, of course, what you are actually getting at is some kind of race issue regarding whether blacks and Asians can play football? Maybe you need to be reminded of players like Luther Blisset? A man who came from Africa and struggled hard to overcome the kind of prejudice that you are displaying. He failed in that battle and hanged himself, along with his homosexual brother.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

I really think that some people have forgotten to take their medication today.:rolleyes:

Qualify to play football. I have often noticed your posts and you're clearly a very intelligent poster, but you are displaying a level of stupidity that surprises me. Unless, of course, what you are actually getting at is some kind of race issue regarding whether blacks and Asians can play football? Maybe you need to be reminded of players like Luther Blisset? A man who came from Africa and struggled hard to overcome the kind of prejudice that you are displaying. He failed in that battle and hanged himself, along with his homosexual brother.

Huh?

I think you mean John and Justin Fashanu???

Yes, FAIL.

Fashanu

Huh?

I think you mean John and Justin Fashanu???

I don't mean "John" and "Justin" Fashanu. I mean Luther Blisset. John Fashanu, as far as I am aware has not hanged himself. Maybe you are confusing him with someone else? I also think that John Fashanu, despite qualifying to play for Ivory Coast, was born in this country, unlike Blisset who was born in Africa and brought up on a farm (I think) and worked as a goat-hand before moving here in his late teens. From memory, he struggled to fit in because of the racism he faced (the sort of thing Junction 9 was typing) and killed himself along with his gay brother. That's why Watford adopted the goat as their mascot, out of respect (something that a few on here could learn). Nothing to do with the Fashanus....get your facts sorted before you have a dig. Maybe you've got an agenda like Junction 9 as well? Let's not turn a decent thread into a race hate (and possibly anti-homosexual) debacle, there's enough of that in the Lounge.

I don't mean "John" and "Justin" Fashanu. I mean Luther Blisset. John Fashanu, as far as I am aware has not hanged himself. Maybe you are confusing him with someone else? I also think that John Fashanu, despite qualifying to play for Ivory Coast, was born in this country, unlike Blisset who was born in Africa and brought up on a farm (I think) and worked as a goat-hand before moving here in his late teens. From memory, he struggled to fit in because of the racism he faced (the sort of thing Junction 9 was typing) and killed himself along with his gay brother. That's why Watford adopted the goat as their mascot, out of respect (something that a few on here could learn). Nothing to do with the Fashanus....get your facts sorted before you have a dig. Maybe you've got an agenda like Junction 9 as well? Let's not turn a decent thread into a race hate (and possibly anti-homosexual) debacle, there's enough of that in the Lounge.

What? Luthor Blisset hung himself? Since when?

Justin Fashanu hung himself (and also played under Lawrie down here)

What? Luthor Blisset hung himself? Since when?

Copied from Wikipedia...

On 27 March 2010, it was confirmed that Blissett had signed to Hemel Hempstead Town as a coach.[7]

I don't know what he got up to in May though...

From which countries will/would/could suit Saints cause the best...just as a generalization?

Ivory Coast, they have an excellent academy their, with a lot of players very keen to play in the UK; one of these being of course Drogba.

HEY! Calm down. I just read the end of your post and figured you had mistyped. Justin Fashanu came out as gay and committed suicide, so I thought you were referring to him.

This is - or set out to be - a football website. I wasn't posting anything about race or sexuality, "agendas" or "having a dig", just asking if you meant someone else.

You need to calm down, go out for a walk, and enjoy the sunshine.

I too have noticed your posts before now and I think we agree on many issues, the Widdrington appointment being one of many.

In this instance though you have read into this something that is not there. I did not for one moment mean any disrespect to Mr Blisset or his family.

I was merely asking why Australian or African players should need to qualify as many play in the Uk already.

I do hope this clears up any misunderstanding and that we can continue to be cordial to each other on this forum in the future.

Sorry - but you've confused me now as well, do you mean this Luther Blisset:

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/hemelhempsteadtown/?primary=senior&secondary=players_coaches&team_id=

or are you referring to another LB that I am unaware of..?

In the lower divisions the squads seem to be more 'home' based, the higher you go the more diversified it gets on the whole.

I think there is a case for certain players from places that are compatable with the style that a specific team plays. Call me crazy, but United play the ultimate 'British' game, a style of incessant energy, pressure and most often focusing on speed and attack, therefore most British players (with the appropriate level of ability) slot in well. Whereas some of the other clubs, despite being dominant, will play much more conservatively (suiting Italian style or Eastern European style players).

Saints now play an excellent brand of football for Div III, I think communication, confidence and being fairly clever are assets that are needed along with the other skills and techniques. Any new Saint has to understand exactly and buy into what AP and his staff are trying to do. Does it matter what their football education and previous environment has been like, or should all players from all places just play the same way?? Do players from certain places, generally speaking, fit in better and have more continuity than others?

Sorry - but you've confused me now as well, do you mean this Luther Blisset:

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/hemelhempsteadtown/?primary=senior&secondary=players_coaches&team_id=

or are you referring to another LB that I am unaware of..?

That's the guy. Very very sad demise for both him and his brother. He was a very talented up-and-coming manager and I reckoned he could have made it all the way to the top and secured a job in the Football Leagues.

RIP

That's the guy. Very very sad demise for both him and his brother. He was a very talented up-and-coming manager and I reckoned he could have made it all the way to the top and secured a job in the Football Leagues.

RIP

Are you saying Luther Blisset has pegged it ?

(The former Watford,AC Milan bloke that is).

If so, it's a tragic day for football, and blacks in general.

They're pulling your p!sser http://www.seppukoo.com/memorial/Luther-Blissett/1773487180

Luther was fairly good in Italy, but Laurie Cunningham, who is deceased was spectacular in Spain...anyway. back to the thread topic, is talent just talent and should be able to adapt, or is it more value-added generally to get players from a certain demographic?

They're pulling your p!sser http://www.seppukoo.com/memorial/Luther-Blissett/1773487180

Luther was fairly good in Italy, but Laurie Cunningham, who is deceased was spectacular in Spain...anyway. back to the thread topic, is talent just talent and should be able to adapt, or is it more value-added generally to get players from a certain demographic?

Luther was dog$h!t in Italy! AC Milan fans often referred to him as Luther Missit (5 goals in 30 games). Rumour has it that AC thought they were signing John Barnes.

Back to the original question, it's a bit difficult to answer, as you can have a real mixbag.

Based on Delgado, we'd pan Ecuador, but Wigan fans might give a different opinion after the decent service and profit they got out of Luis Antonio Valencia.

If you buy an Italian, you might get a Zola or you might get an Andrea Silenzi.

In Tim's defence, the USA is producing more and more decent players, I was recently out watching Borussia Monchengladbach and Michael Bradley was immense as a midfield workhorse. Given how solid Friedel, Howard, Keller, Hahnemann etc have been down the years, maybe we should look there for a keeper?

Regardless of where someone is from, if they're good enough then sign them, just don't take a telephone testimonial from someone claiming to be George Weah recommending their cousin......

Luther was dog$h!t in Italy! AC Milan fans often referred to him as Luther Missit (5 goals in 30 games). Rumour has it that AC thought they were signing John Barnes.

Back to the original question, it's a bit difficult to answer, as you can have a real mixbag.

Based on Delgado, we'd pan Ecuador, but Wigan fans might give a different opinion after the decent service and profit they got out of Luis Antonio Valencia.

If you buy an Italian, you might get a Zola or you might get an Andrea Silenzi.

In Tim's defence, the USA is producing more and more decent players, I was recently out watching Borussia Monchengladbach and Michael Bradley was immense as a midfield workhorse. Given how solid Friedel, Howard, Keller, Hahnemann etc have been down the years, maybe we should look there for a keeper?

Regardless of where someone is from, if they're good enough then sign them, just don't take a telephone testimonial from someone claiming to be George Weah recommending their cousin......

So, if I have understood correctly, you're suggesting that individuals are different regardless of what country they have come from and that any discussion of which country Saints should buy players from is a waste of time? Is that what you're saying? Because if it is, this entire thread is pointless and you have made the OP look like a right knobend by asking such a stupid question. What you're basically saying is that where someone is born makes some impact on their footballing ability (given the prominence of football or other sports in that country) but is mainly irrelevant and the same as asking if ginger haired players are better buys than blonde players (the answer is clearly blonde, by the way).

Anyway, back to the original point, Luther Blisset's memory should not be sullied on a thread on a painful forum like this. I know the black and gay community remember his death in a way that he would like, by recreating that run and goal that he scored against Brazil in 1984. I think that's a beautiful way to be remembered......a lod of gay fellas, dressed in tight shorts and england tops and afro's, jinking their way into a Brazilians box and scoring. Long live the memory of Luther Blisset, RIP.

Guest Dark Sotonic Mills

To parody the Last Labour Government WS,

Medication, Medication, Medication

It could be suggested that environment and continuity of origin to have a significant impact.

For example in the most competitive of situations Luis Aragonés succeeded more than any other Spain national team coach, he frequently cited the understanding of a common style of play, language etc as being a major plus.

Afterwards he took over an extremely talented and yet diverse Fenerbahçe side he was a miserable failure, he was sacked and felt that he could not bring the several styles, ethnicities and techniques together. Also there was different languages, signs and even body language to a certain extent.

Yeah it is true that he is probably a bit of bigot, which most of us do not condone. Considering that situation the question still remains, generally speaking 'players from where would suit Saints best, if at all?'

It could be suggested that environment and continuity of origin to have a significant impact.

For example in the most competitive of situations Luis Aragonés succeeded more than any other Spain national team coach, he frequently cited the understanding of a common style of play, language etc as being a major plus.

Afterwards he took over an extremely talented and yet diverse Fenerbahçe side he was a miserable failure, he was sacked and felt that he could not bring the several styles, ethnicities and techniques together. Also there was different languages, signs and even body language to a certain extent.

Yeah it is true that he is probably a bit of bigot, which most of us do not condone. Considering that situation the question still remains, generally speaking 'players from where would suit Saints best, if at all?'

Hartlepools

Watched Boca Juniors this Sunday...lot of understanding and continuity in their side. They all come from a similar football 'culture' or heritage. The whole team is Spanish speaking, mostly Argentine...no Europeans/Asians/Africans etc. Gotta say they seemed to display an almost unspoken understanding (despite losing) that a lot of very diverse teams seem to lack.