Dickson bid

Graffito

A first class signing. A minor critiscism of Harding is that he has a dodgy throwin (particularly when taken quickly). He's been foul throwed on several occasions. I would think another LB would be to strengthen the squad not to replace.

Well said! Don't get me wrong, I like Harding. Determined, tenacious, busy & hard working little player & he's been a great acquisition. However, he does have a proclivity for hoofing it under pressure & can barely take a throw without it being a foul throw but fortunately League One linesmen are far too useless or weak to act.

Never the less, Harding's been superb and I trust Pardew implicitly with his scouting network & transfer dealings.

let me get this straight..despite harding being a standout player in probably the second best team in this league, he is now turned average and this dickson lad, who made a good run against us is now able to play in the prem one day..?

That seems to be the case:confused:.

If anyone had said to me which two postions in the team I didn't think needed strengthening. I would have said LB and GK we have two very good players (at this level at least) who have proved themselves this season with two good backups who both stepped up when needed in those postions. I don't uderstand the need for another left back right now when we're still weak in midfield and rightback and still lacking good cover in attack and central defence.

Edited by doddisalegend

I don't uderstand the need for another left back right now when we're still weak in midfield and rightback and still lacking good cover in attack and central defence.

Competition for places is a good thing, to have two capable left backs at the club should hopefully increase performances.

Plus AP im sure will strengthen other areas, the thing with freebies is you have to get in quick.

Competition for places is a good thing, to have two capable left backs at the club should hopefully increase performances.

Plus AP im sure will strengthen other areas, the thing with freebies is you have to get in quick.

We have two capable left backs.

let me get this straight..despite harding being a standout player in probably the second best team in this league, he is now turned average and this dickson lad, who made a good run against us is now able to play in the prem one day..?

And apparently the reason he should replace Harding is because of his weak throw-ins.....

that seems to be the case:confused:.

If anyone had said to me which two postions in the team i didn't think needed strengthening. I would have said lb and gk we have to very good players (at this level at least) who have proved themselves this season with two good backups who both stepped up when needed in those postions. I don't uderstand the need for another left back right now when we're still weak in midfield and rightback and still lacking good cover in attack and central defence.

+1

k.

Which accounts specifically?

I cant say who exactly but a lot of people I speak to involved within the club say him and his brother when he was here had the attitude they had "made it" from a very early age which has hampered their overall development.

I don't uderstand the need for another left back right now when we're still weak in midfield and rightback and still lacking good cover in attack and central defence.

It makes me laugh that people genuinely think that Pardew and Cortese at sat at home only focusing on Dickson as a possible signing. Not at all thinking about Midfield, Right back another striker etc.

They will be looking to strengthen all areas where they feel it is possible. To seriously not understand that shows a complete lack of common sense.

I'll be over the moon if we get Dickson. I love Harding but from what I have seen of Dickson and from what I have heard he will create a real challenge for places down the whole left side as his attacking play is better than Hardings.

There is nothing wrong with signing players for positions we are already strong in. It's called improving the team.

It makes me laugh that people genuinely think that Pardew and Cortese at sat at home only focusing on Dickson as a possible signing. Not at all thinking about Midfield, Right back another striker etc.

They will be looking to strengthen all areas where they feel it is possible. To seriously not understand that shows a complete lack of common sense.

I'll be over the moon if we get Dickson. I love Harding but from what I have seen of Dickson and from what I have heard he will create a real challenge for places down the whole left side as his attacking play is better than Hardings.

There is nothing wrong with signing players for positions we are already strong in. It's called improving the team.

No one is saying that but asumming we don't have an unlimited budget why not start spending the money and wage bill on the postions we are weak in? Rather than trying to stregthen a postion that is already strong. Harding already has competition he's called Mills. I honestly can't believe so many people are hailing Dickson as some kind of superstar based on seeing him beat Lloyd James for pace and becuase a couple of bees fans thought he was good. The team does need improving I just think we should start by getting in players where we are weak rather than where we are strong its called improving the team.

No one is saying that but asumming we don't have an unlimited budget why not start spending the money and wage bill on the postions we are weak in? Rather than trying to stregthen a postion that is already strong. Harding already has competition he's called Mills. I honestly can't believe so many people are hailing Dickson as some kind of superstar based on seeing him beat Lloyd James for pace and becuase a couple of bees fans thought he was good. The team does need improving I just think we should start by getting in players where we are weak rather than where we are strong its called improving the team.

Yes but you are assuming that we are doing it in some sort of order. When you say "We should START by getting in players where we are weak" you are assuming that Pardew and Cortese are going through a checklist and have decided that Dickson is first.

You have no idea who and where they are wanting to sign and you have no idea the importance of each signing they have placed them in. We only know about Dickson because its been picked up by the media. You also need to understand that Dickson is out of contract therefore he will become available before players who are in contract. Pardew and Cortese have probably not said that Dickson is there target then they move onto the next one. That is what you are assuming is happening. It is not. i

I know Harding is a left back but I thought he did an excellent job when he filed in at right back last season. I wonder is AP is going to play him in the RB position and bring in a LB?

You do know Burley has left?

I know Harding is a left back but I thought he did an excellent job when he filed in at right back last season. I wonder is AP is going to play him in the RB position and bring in a LB?

We’ve gone past the days of putting square pegs in round holes.

The signing of Dickson is simply adding to the squad and creating competition, I don't see a problem with this.

At the moment I don't believe Mills is good enough defensively for a title winning team (which is what we're aspiring to be). I think a loan at a lower L1 or a top L2 team would do wonders for him. When he came into the team at the expense of Harding around Christmas time, we struggled. I'm not saying it was mainly down to him, but it kind of showed up the real lack of squad depth we had.

This signing will go towards fixing that, it's not replacing Harding at all and will not mean other positions are ignored.

Agreed.

Added to the fact that all this paper talk speculation could in fact be complete ******.

The signing of Dickson is simply adding to the squad and creating competition, I don't see a problem with this.

At the moment I don't believe Mills is good enough defensively for a title winning team (which is what we're aspiring to be). I think a loan at a lower L1 or a top L2 team would do wonders for him. When he came into the team at the expense of Harding around Christmas time, we struggled. I'm not saying it was mainly down to him, but it kind of showed up the real lack of squad depth we had.

This signing will go towards fixing that, it's not replacing Harding at all and will not mean other positions are ignored.

Really I thought the opposite. Seeing as kept Harding out for several games even when Harding was fit I assume AP thought he was doing a good Job to.

Yes but you are assuming that we are doing it in some sort of order. When you say "We should START by getting in players where we are weak" you are assuming that Pardew and Cortese are going through a checklist and have decided that Dickson is first.

You have no idea who and where they are wanting to sign and you have no idea the importance of each signing they have placed them in. We only know about Dickson because its been picked up by the media. You also need to understand that Dickson is out of contract therefore he will become available before players who are in contract. Pardew and Cortese have probably not said that Dickson is there target then they move onto the next one. That is what you are assuming is happening. It is not. i

To my mind thats the most logical way to do it clear out the unwanted players then start targetting players for the weak spots in the team first spend the money where it's most needed. You're right we don't now whats going on behind the scences. I'm just not sure why so many people are excited about the prospect of signing a left back. If this guy was a right back I might be excited.

Edited by doddisalegend

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Pardew wants to win this league.

The way you can guarantee that is to win every game. Not achievable I know, but it has to be the target.

To win every game you have to be able to put out a team to win each and every game - even when you have a few suspensions/injuries etc.

We will play 46 league games.

Not one player played all of them (although Lambert was not with us at the start of the season.

Therefore you can assume that just about every player will miss at least a two or three games.

The aim has to be, that any player can be replaced in the first 11 and we will still have the best team in the league.

Pardew's problem is keeping them happy - Harding played 42 league games last year, it sounds like Harding and Dickson are both good enough not to be happy to only play 2 or 3 games.

I would've said that of all the positions on the pitch, our strongest was left back.

However in Pards we trust, so we'll have to see how good this guy is. Perhaps Pardew has targeted Harding being a back up at right back, as he did so well in that position in the latter half of the season - that would mean we'd only require one new right back - but is there really a lack of right backs out there?

To my mind thats the most logical way to do it clear out the unwanted players then start targetting players for the weak spots in the team first spend the money where it's most needed.

I'm just not sure why so many people are excited about the prospect of signing a left back. If this guy was a right back I might be excited.

Firstly. In answer to your second point - Because he's probably one of the best left backs in the league? If it was Ashley Cole available on a free would you still not be excited because he's not a right back?

Your first point - Your mind is wrong if you think thats logical. We all know Pardew and Cortese had a meeting last week. In that meeting no doubt that they discussed how much money they had to spend and where it is needed to go. Also any free targets would have been mentioned. When they are signed doesn't matter. It would be just plain stupid for Pardew to sign someone then think "Right, what next...A right back...Oh poo we have no money left"

That isn't what is happening. It isn't FM. They know where they have to strengthen, they know the importance of each position and they know the money they have to do it. If we sign Dickson before anyone else (Which by the way, is only speculation right now, although i'm pretty certain it will happen) then it won't be because Pardew targeted a left back first. It will be because that deal was available before another deal and was concluded first.

Firstly. In answer to your second point - Because he's probably one of the best left backs in the league? If it was Ashley Cole available on a free would you still not be excited because he's not a right back?

Your first point - Your mind is wrong if you think thats logical. We all know Pardew and Cortese had a meeting last week. In that meeting no doubt that they discussed how much money they had to spend and where it is needed to go. Also any free targets would have been mentioned. When they are signed doesn't matter. It would be just plain stupid for Pardew to sign someone then think "Right, what next...A right back...Oh poo we have no money left"

That isn't what is happening. It isn't FM. They know where they have to strengthen, they know the importance of each position and they know the money they have to do it. If we sign Dickson before anyone else (Which by the way, is only speculation right now, although i'm pretty certain it will happen) then it won't be because Pardew targeted a left back first. It will be because that deal was available before another deal and was concluded first.

Perhaps doddisalegend is a woman and is making that assumption (that they do) that NC & AP cannot multi-task because they're men. :rolleyes:

Spot on, I don't know why some are making such a big fuss of this. Ultimately it seems that we have an opportunity to sign a very good player by L1 standards and if we have ambition we should be ceasing this opportunity.

I must admit though it's nice to see a debate about people worrying about players coming in then going out...........is this really SFC?

Spot on, I don't know why some are making such a big fuss of this. Ultimately it seems that we have an opportunity to sign a very good player by L1 standards and if we have ambition we should be ceasing this opportunity.

I must admit though it's nice to see a debate about people worrying about players coming in then going out...........is this really SFC?

I think we should carry on and seize the opportunity;)

I also agree, there were times that Harding worried me. There were times when he did get skinned and there were also times when by rights he should have been pulled up for fouls in the penalty area (can't remember the games concerned but it was something that made me think that we had got away with it - again). If AP thinks that the position can be improved and a player is available he should take that opportunity.

Based on what? you're right if we where signing Ashley Cole I'd be bye bye Harding were not though were talking about a league one player from Brentford.

So in your example AP and NC have sat down and said we've got 3 million to spend we will put 250K aside for a RB. What happens if they can't get a RB for the money put aside we go for someone else give up? The order in which players are bought doesn't matter so much as why AP and NC feel we need a LB when we have two good ones (imo) already.

Dickson is not free becuase of his age if we pay 100k in compensation for example thats 100K spent on a player we don't need, now not avaliable for another player in a postion we need. Despite our new found wealth I don't believe we have unlimited money to spend.

Based on what? you're right if we where signing Ashley Cole I'd be bye bye Harding were not though were talking about a league one player from Brentford.

So in your example AP and NC have sat down and said we've got 3 million to spend we will put 250K aside for a RB. What happens if they can't get a RB for the money put aside we go for someone else give up? The order in which players are bought doesn't matter so much as why AP and NC feel we need a LB when we have two good ones (imo) already.

Dickson is not free becuase of his age if we pay 100k in compensation for example thats 100K spent on a player we don't need, now not avaliable for another player in a postion we need. Despite our new found wealth I don't believe we have unlimited money to spend.

AP has stated many times that he wants to build a team capable of making the step up to CCC and then the prem. If he see's Dickson as a player capable of doing this then should we not sign him on the basis that Harding had a good season?

Your concerns around us not prioritising other positions are imo unfounded at this stage and I have no doubt that we will strengthen in the positions we all know need it.

Pardew wants to win this league.

The way you can guarantee that is to win every game. Not achievable I know, but it has to be the target.

To win every game you have to be able to put out a team to win each and every game - even when you have a few suspensions/injuries etc.

We will play 46 league games.

Not one player played all of them (although Lambert was not with us at the start of the season.

Therefore you can assume that just about every player will miss at least a two or three games.

The aim has to be, that any player can be replaced in the first 11 and we will still have the best team in the league.

Pardew's problem is keeping them happy - Harding played 42 league games last year, it sounds like Harding and Dickson are both good enough not to be happy to only play 2 or 3 games.

AP might have other ideas. He may well see Dickson as playing in front of Harding if AL is not available. The guy sounds good enough. Oh and loan out Mills as he could be perceived as one for the future in the Championship - a season getting regular football would do him the world of good.

Anyway we haven't actually bought him yet. ;)

People wondering if mills is good enough should think back to his loan spell at S****horpe when they won promotion from this league.......

How do we know how well he played whilst he was there? Its better to go on what we see at SMS and IMO that's a decent left back that still has a fair bit to learn. I like him, but if there's a better player available for next to nothing its a no brainer. If you want to win the league you can't settle for less. They came 6th that season by the way. Pardew is aiming for first.

Some people are really over-reacting here!

Even if Pardew is looking to sign Dickson as a LB, so what?

Having arguably two of the best LB's in the division can only be a good thing for Saints, right?

If Dickson coming in means Mills can go out on loan then that's great! Mills has potential but he's still got a lot to learn yet.

A loan spell at a divisional rival where he plays regular football will do both him and Saints the world of good long-term.

How do we know how well he played whilst he was there? Its better to go on what we see at SMS and IMO that's a decent left back that still has a fair bit to learn. I like him, but if there's a better player available for next to nothing its a no brainer. If you want to win the league you can't settle for less. They came 6th that season by the way. Pardew is aiming for first.

Because he was in their first team the whole time and they wanted to sign him.

The odd game here and there? Tough to judge a player until he has had a decent run in the team.

A bloke in my office is from Scunny and he was always raving about Mills, and that they thought he should have been made permanent when they were promoted.

Agreed we want to finish top 2, but is a left back likely to have that much influence anywho?

Reading this thread indicates the gulf in standards and expectations of fans. If you are happy with Harding fair enough but I dint expect him to perform as the best LB in L1 for all 46 games. He started poorly but did become more cinsistant. He is not that great! Anyone who is better is great! Mills is at least a season or two away from being good enough and by then it will be the Championship.

Any doubters on whether we need another LB, ask yourself this "if we were playing in the championship this season, is Harding good enough to be in a title winning team"? That is what AP is building for now.

As for the priority of signings, this is a ridiculous argument. Hopkins has said it all really! I'm sure that it works more like this;

AP: Nicola, I want to sign "x", "y", "z", "a", "b", and "c"

NC: How much will that cost including fees and wages?

AP: maybe 8-10million?

NC: why 6 players, and who are they?

Etc, etc, etc!!!!

NC gives go ahead on agreed players and financed and then AP goes and gets them , in whatever order happens!!!

Exactly. If he does come, that then gives us a left-sided option of Lallana and Dickson, or Lallana and Harding, or Dickson and Harding. All of which will come in useful at various points during the season. I'd expect Mills to go somewhere on a season loan (with a recall clause just in case) where he's likely to be first choice, and Molyneux to decay slowly in the reserves/get the hint and find himself a new club.