Dickson bid

Graffito

The one that run past Lloyd James at St Mary's like he wasn't there, pulled it back from the by-line to set up Brentford's equaliser.

i just re-watched it, and it's better than that.

He picked the ball up in their half, ran past Saga, Hammond, Thomson and skinned james before putting a peach of a ball into the box.

ok - thomson/james and saga weren't the hardest players to beat - but it's still a cracking run by the lad.

If we can afford back up for all positions then why not sign Dickson.As long as a right back,central midfielder are signed and either Antonio & Papa return or replacements are brought in then I will be happy.

If AP then decided to bring in another left back,central defender,goalie and winger to provide extra squad depth and competition then that will be great as long as the whole squad is pulling in the same direction and you don't have a load of players causing trouble as they are not in the first team.

I still stick by my prediction that we could see as many as 8 new signings this summer to have a really competitive squad especially as we could pick up 5 on frees!? ie Calderon,Dickson,Adomah etc

Good move. It'll be healthy competition and I don't expect Harding will leave. They can fight it out for the 1st choice LB position and provide cover for LM and RB respectively - I bet they play in the same team on quite a few occasions. Based on his showing at SMS Dickson was one of the few opposition players to stand out for me.

Mills could do with going out on loan and getting some games - if he went to Brentford then it would be ideal.

Good move. It'll be healthy competition and I don't expect Harding will leave. They can fight it out for the 1st choice LB position and provide cover for LM and RB respectively - I bet they play in the same team on quite a few occasions. Based on his showing at SMS Dickson was one of the few opposition players to stand out for me.

Mills could do with going out on loan and getting some games - if he went to Brentford then it would be ideal.

By fight it out you really mean one of them will have to be content with spending next season in the reserves for all but about 6 games.

I really don't get this. We have 2 left backs and 0 right backs and suddenly it's, "hey let's get a LB".

If this bloke is a midfielder then fair enough, although he will still be warming the bench for Lallana.

You're over thinking this, Ari. It will do us no harm at all to have the best 22 players in the division, even if we can only play 11 at a time.

as long as people are happy to pay for it by increased ST prices...and/or accept we well and truely in the pocket of someone

But the whole point is IF he is better than what we have its a good signing.

It illogical to suggest we shouldn't sign him because we need a right back! I am sure the club will address the right back position over the summer - it's not quite August yet!

By fight it out you really mean one of them will have to be content with spending next season in the reserves for all but about 6 games.

I really don't get this. We have 2 left backs and 0 right backs and suddenly it's, "hey let's get a LB".

If this bloke is a midfielder then fair enough, although he will still be warming the bench for Lallana.

This isn't lets get a LB and forget about RB. Injuries and loss of form happen - it's a long season and as I said I think they'll both play in the same team a few times.

Also remember that Harding doesn't tend to stay at clubs too often - there's probably a reason for that. Maybe he'll have one good season and then relax? Who knows? I fail to see that signing another good young player can be bad.

I thought Harding looked really uncomfortable at RB in the cup final.

I know this post was a long time ago, but I just wanted to pick up on it to point out how strongly I disagree with it. He made it look like he had played there all his life.

Wasn't he close to MOTM for the final on here?

Yep. One of them is going to be p*ssed off if it happens.

Harding won't complete the journey from League One to Premiership with Saints as he isn't good enough to do that. Probably only Lallana, Schneiderlin and Fonte are good enough for that.

"Maybe" Pardew and Cortese see Dickson as being able to go the whole way and don't want to turn down the chance to sign him for free despite Harding having an admittedly very good season.

This isn't lets get a LB and forget about RB. Injuries and loss of form happen - it's a long season and as I said I think they'll both play in the same team a few times.

Also remember that Harding doesn't tend to stay at clubs too often - there's probably a reason for that. Maybe he'll have one good season and then relax? Who knows? I fail to see that signing another good young player can be bad.

If Harding is injured play Mills, he's perfectly capable and has done a job against very tough opposition (Ipwsich) and in front of a bigger crowd than the Super Bowl (JPT final). Harding was fit for every game last season I think. Why are we assuming both him and Mills are suddenly going to get crippled.

Cover is good. Having sulking players who don't want to be here is bad. 3 LBs really is over kill.

As for Harding moving around, we're his 4th club. He started at Brighton, had a big money move to Leeds. It didn't work out, so he moved to Ipswich. Keane took over and didn't rate him, so he came here. Hardly a journeyman and I have seen nothing suggest he wants out.

Seriously people on here are making out Harding to be bloody Patrice Evra. He had a very good season, that doesn't mean there aren't better left backs available who will stand a better chance of making it as we climb through the leagues.

First criteria for all signings from now on should be that they must be better than what we have currently. If Dickson fits that then get him in

Second criteria must be that they are young enough and capable of taking us thro' the leagues

And i'm not sure if Harding falls into that category. I think he's had a cracking season but i have my doubts that he would impress in the Championship. Dickson sounds like a very talented player with youth on his side. As long as AP signs players in the key positions as well i don't see any problem with this deal

But the whole point is IF he is better than what we have its a good signing.

It illogical to suggest we shouldn't sign him because we need a right back! I am sure the club will address the right back position over the summer - it's not quite August yet!

But is he better? We seem to be assuming he is better based on one run and assist in one game against us, Harding has been very good this year his goal against Tranmere was top notch. We're not talking about signing a LB from the EPL or even the fizzy pop but from an average league one side.

I know this post was a long time ago, but I just wanted to pick up on it to point out how strongly I disagree with it. He made it look like he had played there all his life.

Wasn't he close to MOTM for the final on here?

#

Agree -Harding was brilliant at Wembley and the cheating Carlisle left winger never got a look in so threw himself on the ground at every opportunity trying to con the ref. And though a natural left footeer, Harding made some good upfield passes with his right.

But is he better? We seem to be assuming he is better based on one run and assist in one game against us, Harding has been very good this year his goal against Tranmere was top notch. We're not talking about signing a LB from the EPL or even the fizzy pop but from an average league one side.

Well that's where we need to rely on the scouting network that has been put in place. If we're interested it's not based on one sodding dribble past the jet heeled Lloyd James now is it?

If Harding is injured play Mills, he's perfectly capable and has done a job against very tough opposition (Ipwsich) and in front of a bigger crowd than the Super Bowl (JPT final). Harding was fit for every game last season I think. Why are we assuming both him and Mills are suddenly going to get crippled.

Cover is good. Having sulking players who don't want to be here is bad. 3 LBs really is over kill.

As for Harding moving around, we're his 4th club. He started at Brighton, had a big money move to Leeds. It didn't work out, so he moved to Ipswich. Keane took over and didn't rate him, so he came here. Hardly a journeyman and I have seen nothing suggest he wants out.

Admin man you're suggesting that I said harding wants out - I said nothing of the sort. Actually i was suggesting that there might be a reason why managers want him out. You've done a quick google at his career and forgotten that he was on loan at Southend and Reading. Reading could easily have signed him if they wanted and they didn't which begs the question why? I don't know and wouldn't even speculate but if we sign a potentially better player then what's the problem?

I'll draw a similar ill informed question though - what leads you to believe any of our players would sulk?

The funny thing about this and the Calderon thread is that we are debating for page after page about players we are supposedly interested in!!!!!! The powers that be at the club are probably casting an eye over this site and thinking, where the hell did that name come from!!!? Ah, the pesky Echo again lol!!!

Well that's where we need to rely on the scouting network that has been put in place. If we're interested it's not based on one sodding dribble past the jet heeled Lloyd James now is it?

I agree Ipswich Supporters may think Thomas is a free scoring fullback on the basis of the Cup match

Admin man you're suggesting that I said harding wants out - I said nothing of the sort. Actually i was suggesting that there might be a reason why managers want him out. You've done a quick google at his career and forgotten that he was on loan at Southend and Reading. Reading could easily have signed him if they wanted and they didn't which begs the question why? I don't know and wouldn't even speculate but if we sign a potentially better player then what's the problem?

I'll draw a similar ill informed question though - what leads you to believe any of our players would sulk?

I said he is hardly a journeyman or there is nothing to suggest he wants out. Meaning I can't think of any reason why he would want to leave, or why we'd want to get rid of him.

I actually looked at his history on soccerbase, not google

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=32808

I know he has had loans, but they we're just loans. Puncheon has been on loan to MK Dons twice, but didn't sign for them. Murty was on loan at Charlton the season before last. They didn't sign him. Barnard was on loan to half the clubs in the football league before Spuds released him. Means bugger all really.

I think players would sulk because they are used to first team football and suddenly they're playing in the reserves. If they didn't sulk, they would still want out.

It's going to be one heck of a team that makes Harding look average next season.

If this lad is better than Mills then sign him up and shift Mills off to the highest bidder.

We've got to to be ruthless if we're going to get to the places Leibherr and Cortese want us to achieve.

It's fairly obvious we're going to be scouting and monitoring all sorts of players at the moment, just because we aren't being linked to right backs every morning doesn't mean Pardew and his team aren't tracking a few.

Why be content with Harding if there is a better LB out there that we can get? Personally I think Harding is a little overrated, just because he looks good compared to the RBs we've had this season.

No it's the other way round, our RB's have looked poor because Harding had such a superb season and he's really a Championship full back playing a level below.

No it's the other way round, our RB's have looked poor because Harding had such a superb season and he's really a Championship full back playing a level below.

It's not as if he's been a huge success before when playing in that league.

Bottom line is that every position in our team could be improved if the right player is available at the right price. AP gets paid a lot of money to make those calls, and so far his dealings in the transfer market have been spot on (including Harding himself by the way).

If AP thinks Dickson is a better player with the greater potential to play at a higher level, and it doesn't compromise our dealings in other areas, then get him in.

What is some peoples problem? Signing Dickson would mean we would have 2 quality left backs in our squad. Mills is far too lightweight to be relied upon and has a bad attitude problem by all accounts. Dickson would provide Harding with competition which I'm sure as a professional he would welcome and means we have a sound replacement when the other is injured, out of form or in need of a rest.

What is some peoples problem? Signing Dickson would mean we would have 2 quality left backs in our squad. Mills is far too lightweight to be relied upon and has a bad attitude problem by all accounts. Dickson would provide Harding with competition which I'm sure as a professional he would welcome and means we have a sound replacement when the other is injured, out of form or in need of a rest.

Which accounts specifically?

I said he is hardly a journeyman or there is nothing to suggest he wants out. Meaning I can't think of any reason why he would want to leave, or why we'd want to get rid of him.

I actually looked at his history on soccerbase, not google

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=32808

I know he has had loans, but they we're just loans. Puncheon has been on loan to MK Dons twice, but didn't sign for them. Murty was on loan at Charlton the season before last. They didn't sign him. Barnard was on loan to half the clubs in the football league before Spuds released him. Means bugger all really.

I think players would sulk because they are used to first team football and suddenly they're playing in the reserves. If they didn't sulk, they would still want out.

It's going to be one heck of a team that makes Harding look average next season.

Except of course you admitted that Keane didn't rate him? Fact is he was at the end of his contract and on loan at Reading. They didn't sign him when they had the chance.

Personally I'd take a better player, in better form in the first team even if it meant a player sulking as you put it in the reserves. I don't think that'll happen though. Harding isn't Bridge, Bale, Dennis, or even Micky Adams but he is good. I wouldn't say he was the best we could get though.

if we're going to win the league then we're going to have to be the best we can be and if that means putting players under pressure then so be it.

we will never know what might have happened had Murty played all season. He began so well...and that injury finished him for the season.

Nice guy but he looked slow and past it for me so I doubt he would have made any difference to our season.

Second criteria must be that they are young enough and capable of taking us thro' the leagues

I honestly don't think this is the criteria that players are being brought to the club. We're buying the best available. Harding looks ideal for League 1 but has failed to impress in the CCC previously, but I don't think for one minute he will discarded because Pardew doesn't think he's good enough to win the CCC in two seasons time.

Except of course you admitted that Keane didn't rate him? Fact is he was at the end of his contract and on loan at Reading. They didn't sign him when they had the chance.

Personally I'd take a better player, in better form in the first team even if it meant a player sulking as you put it in the reserves. I don't think that'll happen though. Harding isn't Bridge, Bale, Dennis, or even Micky Adams but he is good. I wouldn't say he was the best we could get though.

if we're going to win the league then we're going to have to be the best we can be and if that means putting players under pressure then so be it.

I've just given you a list of players who went on loan and didn't sign permanently, or left on a free because a manager didn't rate them. It's irrelevant, means Jack. I don't care what Harding did on loan at Reading two years ago. He did the business for us last year and he can do it again next year.

He is a good player, Mills is good cover... there is no need for another LB. We should be building a team around players like Harding, FOnte, Morgan, Lallana and Lambert. If we start next season with 11 strangers on the pitch, we aren't going to win many games no matter how good they are.

Another LB would just be a pointless waste of money. We could easily win the league with Harding in the team.

Harding was decent for Leeds in the CCC the year they got into the play-offs. He was 22 at the time, and is 26 now, so will be much better.

I think it'll show a complete lack of loyalty if we replace him.

Yep but apparently that's laughable. To me football is more than just winning at all costs.