Dickson bid

Graffito

Good point ........ He's always been MOTM and got Rave reviews every time he's played

Why we bought him I'll never know:cool:

I think he's done a good job when called upon, a few mishaps but then if he was perfect he wouldn't be playin in L1 would he? Great cover none the less.

I get the feeling that Pardew doesn't trust Mills in the same way he didn't trust Gillett or James. I personally like Mills, but in one or two sub appearances, Bristol Rovers especially, he came on and didn't do a job. He had a few decent games, but that rovers defeat will no doubt live in Pardews memory.

I don't understand anyone that thinks signing a player better than we have is a bad move. Pardew is not going to sign a left back and totally ignore our right back requirements. What he is going to do is pick up a bloody decent left back on a tribunal fee. Brilliant move. Shoudl he want to move Mills on, there will be no shortage of takers on loan or to buy btw. Getting Molyneux off the wage bill is another matter.

We could end up with Antonio, Adomah, Dawson, Dickson and Calderon all for next to nothing.

Dickson is the fella that ran all the way down our left to set up their goal by the way. Also Harding will not be converted to a right back. Not a chance.

Edited by Chez

I posted on the Brentford forum and got this response:

I wouldn't want Harding as a swap for Dickson to be truthful. I truly think that you'll get my drift after you see this lad play. He's strong, good in the air, fast as feck, runs all game and is a nightmare to play against. Most right wingers are in his pocket and most right backs are made to look ordinary when he's about. I don't often give high praise but he is a bit special.

Hmm, I could also say to them -

I wouldn't want Dickson as a swap for Harding to be truthful. I truly think that you'll get my drift after you see this lad play. He's strong, good in the air, fast as feck, runs all game and is a nightmare to play against. Most right wingers are in his pocket and most right backs are made to look ordinary when he's about. I don't often give high praise but he is a bit special.

I wouldn't want Dickson as a swap for Harding to be truthful. I truly think that you'll get my drift after you see this lad play. He's strong, good in the air, fast as feck, runs all game and is a nightmare to play against. Most right wingers are in his pocket and most right backs are made to look ordinary when he's about. I don't often give high praise but he is a bit special.

Harding is a very good player and one I like... but he's not 'fast as feck'

Just saying! I hope he can play LM as well because may be good backup for Lallana. Oh and I wouldn't say Harding is fast!

I posted on the Brentford forum and got this response:

I wouldn't want Harding as a swap for Dickson to be truthful. I truly think that you'll get my drift after you see this lad play. He's strong, good in the air, fast as feck, runs all game and is a nightmare to play against. Most right wingers are in his pocket and most right backs are made to look ordinary when he's about. I don't often give high praise but he is a bit special.

Loving that, it sounds as though Dickson is mustard, although I wonder how well they know Harding.

Harding would get this description from me: He's extremely strong, a bully in fact. He's excellent in the air, quick enough and runs all game, overlapping and delivering decent crosses. He's a nightmare play against. Every right winger this season, except one, has been in his pocket. Take Lambert out of the equation and he was our player of the season. At this level he is superbe.

So they sound pretty similar in terms of effectiveness. Brilliant.

Neither was Dickson. That run he made for the goal he was at full pelt, but was no faster than Harding.

I think we'd be taking an unnecessary risk getting rid of Harding and signing Dickson.

you are right, but equally to say most full backs were in his pocket does him a diservice as all but one were.

The question is will Dickson sign without some sort of assurance that he will play week in week out? Hope so. A top notch squad will get us the title.

Harding's going nowhere after the season he's just had surely?

I agree, but having two left backs good enough to play in the CCC seems a bit odd. One of them is gonna get p*ssed off very quick.

I wouldn't be surprised to see either Dickson turn us down or, if we sign him, Harding to leave.

Sound piece of business if we could pull it off. Fish can also play there but IMO would be better given free reign at left MF depending on form.

Seabourne is a centre back with a left peg not a LB.

Now all we need is Calderon and AN Other at RB.

Brentford's local paper which has quotes. Daily Echo take note!

Although not quotes saying he is going to Saints but that he is on his way from Brentford and speculation Saints are monitoring.

http://www.hounslowchronicle.co.uk/west-london-sport/west-london-brentford-fc/2010/05/19/brentford-seek-ryan-dickson-replacement-109642-26475923/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Brentford's local paper which has quotes. Daily Echo take note!

Although not quotes saying he is going to Saints but that he is on his way from Brentford and speculation Saints are monitoring.

http://www.hounslowchronicle.co.uk/west-london-sport/west-london-brentford-fc/2010/05/19/brentford-seek-ryan-dickson-replacement-109642-26475923/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Mills would be ideal for them.

I agree, but having two left backs good enough to play in the CCC seems a bit odd. One of them is gonna get p*ssed off very quick.

I wouldn't be surprised to see either Dickson turn us down or, if we sign him, Harding to leave.

I agree I would have thought if we buy players they would go into the starting team

I cant see the point of a LB on the bench

But seems like a bit of a waste of money unless he will be playing LM. Mills is a perfectly good backup.

Without Papa Waigo and Antonio maybe Pardew wants Dickson, Lallana and Puncheon for the wide positions.

I still think Antonio may come back so it would be two from Dickson, Antonio, Lallana and Puncheon for the two wide midfield roles and Dickson can cover Harding aswell.

Without Papa Waigo and Antonio maybe Pardew wants Dickson, Lallana and Puncheon for the wide positions.

I still think Antonio may come back so it would be two from Dickson, Antonio, Lallana and Puncheon for the two wide midfield roles and Dickson can cover Harding aswell.

Now that I would agree with (IF that is Pardew's plan). Then we just need a pacy striker, a CB, two RBs and a CM and we are sorted.

But seems like a bit of a waste of money unless he will be playing LM. Mills is a perfectly good backup.

Similar scenario happened at Wolves three sesons ago when they signed Matthew Jarvis from Gillingham when his contract expired (they agreed a fee rather going to tribunal). He didn't go straight into their side but was quite clearly an emerging talent (shame we didn't buy him when we had the chance). Look at him now. If the quality is there snap it up. I agree don't buy squad players, but do buy emerging talent.

Similar scenario happened at Wolves three sesons ago when they signed Matthew Jarvis from Gillingham when his contract expired (they agreed a fee rather going to tribunal). He didn't go straight into their side but was quite clearly an emerging talent (shame we didn't buy him when we had the chance). Look at him now. If the quality is there snap it up. I agree don't buy squad players, but do buy emerging talent.

Surprising that he would be happy to come here as backup when if he is as good as they say, then he would walk into most teams in this league and some in the league above.

Weird. Harding is fantastic and Mills is more than capable at this level.

Only reason I can see this happening is if Pardew is planning to cash in on Harding.

I hope not Dan is a cracking player, I assume as some have said Mills will be the one replaced. Having said that Mills has played well when called upon the odd mistake or bad game but you could say that about every player in the squad I reckon. Signing good quaility players is great I just can't help feeling left back is one of the least important areas that we need to strengthen at the moment.

this guy is quality, i have a mate who is a season ticket holder at brentford and he has been raving about him for a while now. He also told me a couple of months ago that he knows someone in the club who has told him that a few championship clubs have been sniffing round after him but he has his heart set on signing for saints.

Harding was my player of the season behind lambert and lallana last season and it would be harsh to drop him but perhaps there is room for both in the team somehow. If not the competition will do the team no harm at all and if dickson is better then get him in the team ahead of harding

this guy is quality, i have a mate who is a season ticket holder at brentford and he has been raving about him for a while now. He also told me a couple of months ago that he knows someone in the club who has told him that a few championship clubs have been sniffing round after him but he has his heart set on signing for saints.

Harding was my player of the season behind lambert and lallana last season and it would be harsh to drop him but perhaps there is room for both in the team somehow. If not the competition will do the team no harm at all and if dickson is better then get him in the team ahead of harding

I would be very disappointed in the club for their lack of loyalty if this is the case.

Yeah hilarious. Harding was player of the season apart from Lambert. To then dump him would be incredibly harsh. I hope he stays with us and is first choice next season.

I find it pretty funny that you expect loyalty from anyone other than a fan in football yes.

Also it's a squad game for god's sake...competition for spots in the team is healthy.

If this guy is the League One equivalent of Bale he could play in front of Dan. With Antonio and Papa no longer there, another option would be to play Lallana on the right on occasions, as Puncheon is inconsistent. I really don't want Harding dropped - he's been excellent this season and given his all. It's not like Dickson has proved himself at a higher level like Fonte.

There are a lot of decent facts within that report. I'm not suggesting that adds any credibility to the rumour, it just makes a nice change to read something in the press that isn't full of errors.

Of course, you're right Ponty..this could be just another rumour, but he fits the pattern that I (and others) had written about earlier, namely good young players (mostly under 25), with some League experience playing in teams that they are TOO good for, are soon out of contract..or available for a small fee.

Whether this one comes off or not..time will tell... but AP probably had a little note book all season with names of players who gave us a hard time when we played them... Seabourne and Puncheon (OK over 25) are already here..and a few more will doubtless follow....together with a couple of CCC players ...and as I predict AT LEAST one Prem.player.

Yeah hilarious. Harding was player of the season apart from Lambert. To then dump him would be incredibly harsh. I hope he stays with us and is first choice next season.

It would be harsh but if we are to sign somebody better (not saying this guy is but definitely has more pace) then he takes over as number one choice. That is the facts of life! If ,as we probably all agree, Harding is a decent player at this level, then if we get somebody better, we have bloody good options. Now to sort out the right-back problem!

Surprising, wouldn't have thought we needed another LB.

Looks that way perhaps, but IMHO we need TWO of every position ..in case of injuries, suspensions, loss of form etc....we will never know what might have happened had Murty played all season. He began so well...and that injury finished him for the season. If we have that scenario in any other position we must have good cover EVERYWHERE.