Challengers next season

Kingsland Red

well, I have lived here for over 10 years, been to countless plymouh games over the years, know and work with god knows how many plymouth fans..and in general, you are wrong..

Well, I lived there for 6 years, am friends with loads of Plymouth fans, went to numerous games and I think you're wrong.

I'm not here to have a **** swinging contest with you, I just remember being sat in the Roundabout watching the FA Cup Final and about 10-15 Plymouth fans (about 30 years old) came in with their shirts on, chanting against us and saying the next time we played them they'd **** us up. I was surprised as I'd never heard it before.

One team that I reckon may do alright is MK Dons, who seem to be putting a good side together. They've just signed Lewis Guy and my sources tell me that Dietmar Hamann is signing for them tomorrow.

the main problem is that they are managed by a total pillock, in karl robinson. and he's useless in management terms too.

One team that I reckon may do alright is MK Dons, who seem to be putting a good side together. They've just signed Lewis Guy and my sources tell me that Dietmar Hamann is signing for them tomorrow.

Not a chance with Karl Pilkington and John Gormless in charge.

the main problem is that they are managed by a total pillock, in karl robinson. and he's useless in management terms too.

Yeah, that is a slight problem. It reminds me a bit of Aidy Boothroyd, though. Got a feeling they could have a Watford-esque season under him.

Well, I lived there for 6 years, am friends with loads of Plymouth fans, went to numerous games and I think you're wrong.

I'm not here to have a **** swinging contest with you, I just remember being sat in the Roundabout watching the FA Cup Final and about 10-15 Plymouth fans (about 30 years old) came in with their shirts on, chanting against us and saying the next time we played them they'd **** us up. I was surprised as I'd never heard it before.

how many argyle games have you been to (without saints playing) and heard them even mention saints..?

my guess is about NONE

Charlton or Millwall, Huddersfield, Peterborough, Sheffield Wednesday, Plymouth, Brighton, Colchester.

These I think will be the main challengers to us next season. Plymouth's challenge will depend on their financial situation through the summer, Peterborough have a good manager in Gary Johnson, Huddersfield like Brighton depend if their managers go elsewhere.

Might have to take Colchester out of the equation - Aidy Boothroyd's been given permission to talk to Coventry, with a compensation amount already agreed

Something most Colchester fans will be very happy about Hoofroyd seems very unpopular among the Colchester faithful.

I'm pretty sure they don't have a pot to **** in.

I'm pretty sure they don't have a pot to **** in.

Which is true, but they have a decent core to the squad and are making one or two wily acquisitions. Although they are obviously more like to be play-off contenders rather than challengers for automatic.

Which is true, but they have a decent core to the squad and are making one or two wily acquisitions. Although they are obviously more like to be play-off contenders rather than challengers for automatic.

I think they will be mid-table at highest. But obviously any predictions at this stage are likely to be wrong.

Saw them 3 times last season (one on the telebox) and in all honesty they were probably the worst team i saw.

They just seemed to roll over and die. Terrible, terrible team and god only knows how they finished where they did this year.

Anyone with a half decent budget in this league will be playing it down... They've got money just not our sort of money...

Not our sort of money as in Poyet's words we are the Man City of League One :)

Might have to take Colchester out of the equation - Aidy Boothroyd's been given permission to talk to Coventry, with a compensation amount already agreed

I find it funny that Coventry sacked Coleman due to a poor end to the season yet have appointed Boothroyd who had an equally poor finish at Colchester.

The surprise team will be Brentford.

I think they'll do well. So do a lot of people. Not a surprise.

KInd of like the Ivory Coast being everyone's 'surprise' team for the world cup. Not a surprise if it's expected!

I would also look at Notts County as an outside bet. Steve Cotterill has instilled a real winning mentality into his team and they finished on a real high in League 2. If they carry that on into the new season, they may be up near or in the top six.

Look at Leicester City this season, promoted from League 1 and got to the play-offs the following season and were only just edged out by Cardiff.

I would also look at Notts County as an outside bet. Steve Cotterill has instilled a real winning mentality into his team and they finished on a real high in League 2. If they carry that on into the new season, they may be up near or in the top six.

Look at Leicester City this season, promoted from League 1 and got to the play-offs the following season and were only just edged out by Cardiff.

Not convinced with their financial problems.

Is Cotterill even still there?

Cotterill is off i would expect and their team is being broken up due to financial constraints, i just can't see them being much, perhaps they will have a decent start but i would expect them to fall off towards the end.

I think Hudddersfield (wanted them to go up this year via playoffs) played us of the park up there thank god for Davis or it would have been a lot more then 3-1 but then again we played them of the field at home. should great season (hopefully). COYR

Hudddersfield played us of the park up there thank god for Davis or it would have been a lot more then 3-1 but then again we played them of the field at home. should great season (hopefully). COYR

The 3-1 game was the 3rd game of the season and back in August when Saints were a completely different side in terms of personal.

The much more recent 5-0 game at St Mary's is a more accurate depiction of the gulf between the two sides as they stand currently.

Yes Player Coach according to the BBC

Yes Player Coach according to the BBC

He is 36 and hasn't played in months though so I'm not sure how much impact he'll have. I reckon for evey experinced pro in the twilight of his carrer who has one last great season ten probably just fade away with injuries (Murty?)

The 3-1 game was the 3rd game of the season and back in August when Saints were a completely different side in terms of personal.

The much more recent 5-0 game at St Mary's is a more accurate depiction of the gulf between the two sides as they stand currently.

Sorry to argue with you but it dont work like that 4 games in Swindon beats us away 1-0 then in March 2010 some 30 odd games later beat us at St Marys 1-0 again so thats a more accurate depiction too. Both Swindon games were after the Huddersfield games...... Football does not work like that. Tit for tat anyway Goodnight Bunpheng

We will be our biggest own enemies,if we fail to live up to the weight of expectation, as

we are expected to win the league by the fans and bookies alike.

The only team I can see bothering us ,is Millwall if they fail to win the play-offs.

I also think Brighton will not be a threat until they move to Falmer.

who are these then..I have lived here for over 10 years.. and apart from the luggy thing, they dont really care too much..

the odd person may do..but in general we are not their rivals...

why do our fans (or some) keep insisting we we are

I have two teenage boys - one supports Saints, the other Argyle. So I for one see evidence of a rivalry!

I am hoping that next season we won't have any rivals. We have the POTENTIAL to win the league, with fresh air coming in second.

Is Cotterill even still there?

Cotterill is off i would expect and their team is being broken up due to financial constraints, i just can't see them being much, perhaps they will have a decent start but i would expect them to fall off towards the end.

Cotterill declined the Coventry job and at the moment is still at Notts County.

I've said a few times that Norwich, Leeds and Charlton are far stronger teams than Peterborough and Plymouth for example.

I think the league will be slightly easier but it will still be very tough. We must get out of the blocks very quickly and be very consistent. We have to make a strong start and get other teams to fear playing us for as much of the season as possible. We also HAVE to get consistent at beating teams getting 11 men behind the ball on a ploughed field

Sorry but teams like Norwich, Leeds and Charlton weren't much of a problem for us last season. It's the teams with less talent and more muscle that will cause us problems again.

• 2 weeks later...

Huddersfield seem to be going about their business quietly. Bought Arfield and have recently added Joey Gudjonsson. A bit of experience to their team. I think they will be pretty consistent around the top of the table.

However Swindon have lost Paynter to Leeds. Not easy to replace a 20+ striker, hopefully they'll lose Austin too.

I think you'll find Huddersfield could well be the thorn in our side this year - again. We do not need to fear any of the relegated teams. Notts County might have something about them as they were on a roll at the end of the season, but then again the step-up might be a step too far.

I think the key will be not to be complacent against any side...win everything...and attempt to maintain consistency of line-up wherever possible. Focus on the league - leave the cup competitions to the reserves.

Think Peterborough will be the closest challengers, they were relegated a long time before the other 2 so have more time to prepare for L1. I expect Sheff Wed to start the season a bit like we did last season, suffering from the relegation hangover but will make the play offs at the end.

Definatly think Brighton will be up there, Poyet is a good coach at this level and they'll be in the play offs for sure. Huddersfield will be there again.

Swindon to suffer the play off final defeat hangover and end up midtable, already lost Billy Paynter and wouldn't be surprised to see Austin go either.

What I hope most is that Saints ARE one of the contenders!

Let's not get too carried away, the new season starts in August and if we get off to our usual indifferent start we may be some way behind the pack y end-September and chasing - and chasing to catch up is never easy as we discovered last season.

Our biggest enemy will be complacency, becoming over confident and lazy thinking we're a shoo-in for the title and underrating other teams. If we start like that it may take a few weeks to come to terms with the idea of having to work for it as reality to kick us up the Rrse and force a rethink...

Huddersfield have just signed Gary Naysmith from Sheff Utd.

I can see them walking this league next season.

Because they signed Gary Naysmith and Arfield?

So those 2 take them up 5 positions? 6 including us.