Worst Moment

70's Mike

supporting Saints.

Please no 1997 answers.

Pure football moments.

I could think of two that really hurt

Adrian Heath in 84

but the worst has to be Fratton in the relegation season, going to the game with real hope ,the awful performance BUT worst of all had to be the Humiliation of staying in the ground during and after the game, and that bloody song which i will never forget.

3 spring to mind for me, other than obvious ones like relegation matches. I wonder if anyone else remembers the games.

1st Late autumn 1982 (I think) and I think it was the midweek after we'd beaten Man U 3-2 with the Keegan overhead kick 'goal', which followed several weeks of excellent football and good results. We played Brighton, who were struggling at the time, and if we won we would go top for the first time in our history. We lost 2-0 and barely had a shot - I couldn't believe we'd been so poor.

2nd Lawrie's last season in charge. An FA Cup 5th round game (possibly replay) at The Dell in mid-week v Barnsley of the 2nd division, the winner to play Liverpool the following week-end live on TV, still a relatively rare experience then. We lost (I think 2-1) and seemed to have no tactic in the entire game other than to make long throws to Ian Baird and (if he was playing) Joe Jordan, which their defence kept out with ease. A really horrible, sterile performance from a team that eventually qualified for the UEFA Cup and would have had a decent chance of getting to Wembley.

3rd Hearing the team announcement in the autumn of 2003 v Man City at home. Strachen once again picking a really negative team lacking in pace, including leaving out of the squad Leandre Griffit (after his goal-scoring debut as a sub the previous week) and picking Neil McCann. We lost 2-0 and barely had a shot. This was when I finally knew that Strachen had lost the plot.

1- 4-1 loss to the skates.

2- That day we went down, that hurt alot, especially being in a room off skates.

3- 2-1 Sheff United, oh my I had a lump in my throat singing on my own, the first time i was called a **** for having a go at the quiet fans around me! my proudest moment to!

3rd Hearing the team announcement in the autumn of 2003 v Man City at home. Strachen once again picking a really negative team lacking in pace, including leaving out of the squad Leandre Griffit (after his goal-scoring debut as a sub the previous week) and picking Neil McCann. We lost 2-0 and barely had a shot. This was when I finally knew that Strachen had lost the plot.

This would be the game a couple of months before we beat Pompey 3-0 to go 4th in the Prem at Christmas?

I wish Poortvliet would lose the plot - Strachan style.

Mine, aside from the relegation equalisers by Van Persie, Bent and Downing, not to mention the second half against Villa and the Man Utd game and losing to Pompey and... ah forget it, just that season. Anyway aside from that, it would have to be losing 3-0 at home to Watford last season. Burley picked a truly awful line-up littered with mistakes from previous matches he just hadn't learned from. Made worse by the fact that after such a horrific performance, he STILL couldn't see what he was doing wrong.

What is a 1997 moment ?

Tuesday left me feeling as low as I can remember being.

In over 40 years this is the lowest league position I've ever seen. Being knocked out of the cup by a lower league team is one thing, but the manner in which it happened was appalling.

In other moments of despair in the past, we've always had someone like MLT to save us, or The Spirit of Southampton both on and off the pitch, or a squad with enough good players to save us if they get their act together, but now all I see is the team in complete free fall financially and losing confidence on the pitch more and more with each game and there just isn't anybody there that makes you think we'll be alright.

As DubaiPhil posted after the Barnsley game 'The Day the Music Died", well it wasn't just the music that died for me on Tuesday, something much more , Southampton FC as I knew it.

Agreed , as per my original post, you really had to be there to know what it was like.

Locked in , no where to hide

Yep - I was there. It's number one in my list, followed by:

Andy Ritchie's equaliser at home to Oldham after a stupid amount of non-existent injury time.

Losing away at Norwich in FA Cup quarter final (1992/93?) - hated Robert Fleck and Ruel Fox for years after that.

supporting Saints.

Please no 1997 answers.

Pure football moments.

I could think of two that really hurt

Adrian Heath in 84

but the worst has to be Fratton in the relegation season, going to the game with real hope ,the awful performance BUT worst of all had to be the Humiliation of staying in the ground during and after the game, and that bloody song which i will never forget.

home to oldham, think it was league cup q-final, andy ritchie about 103 mins, ref was roger milford, still dont know where time came from, was on east terrace and totally gutted for what seemed a lifetime, oh yes and a.heath at higbury, remember blue scousers mooning over the edbe of the stand above our terrace, still hurts!

The Van Nistelrooy goal at SMS in our last Prem game (West Brom scored either seconds before or seconds after, leaving us with pretty much no hope.

Obviously the Fratton game. Absoultely gutless display from everyone. Getting thrashed by Watford in the cup in the same season was pretty humiliating as well.

Also, Luton away our first season down in the championship. I must admit, I thought we'd have enough to go straight back up first season, so losing to a newly promoted team straight away was a big reality check.