Andrew Surman Has Been Told He Can Leave.

View From The Top

To be honest I feel a bit gutted that he's gone to Norwich. Despite the difference in division, I consider us as a bigger club with more class than the Canaries and I would have liked to have thought we could have attracted him here given our aspirations. Good luck to the lad though - I always liked him as a Saint - however it will feel a bit weird seeing him play against us the season after next!

Surman wouldnt get in to the team anyway. He doesnt have Hammond's aggression and Morgan is in my opinion a better player. If Surman goes to Norwich that will be his level for the rest of his career probably. Mid-Championship level. Morgan has the potential to grow with us all the way to the Premier League, Surman despite being a half decent player AND local lad, probably doesnt. Good luck to him though.

where?

In place of Puncheon on the right.

In the middle of a 4-5-1 in place of Barnard.

He's probably on par with Lallana and Schneiderlin as well. We aren't going to get promoted with only four decent midfielders, going to need at least six or seven who are all good enough to play every week at the highest level. If we won't to get promoted then Wotton and Holmes just won't cut it.

really disappointed. He is absolute class .

but norwich are a division above us and have over 20000 ST holders.

Looks like NC is spending wiseley !! And he may be right to do so. A £1m transfer fee can be used for the wages for 2 top players at this level , if you can get them on a free.

In place of Puncheon on the right.

In the middle of a 4-5-1 in place of Barnard.

He's probably on par with Lallana and Schneiderlin as well. We aren't going to get promoted with only four decent midfielders, going to need at least six or seven who are all good enough to play every week at the highest level. If we won't to get promoted then Wotton and Holmes just won't cut it.

He is clearly better than Wotton and Holmes, my thinking was the club are were unlikely to pay over £1m for a player who most likely would compete with Lallana and Schneiderlin for their roles - and possibly is not as good.

really disappointed. He is absolute class .

but norwich are a division above us and have over 20000 ST holders.

Looks like NC is spending wiseley !! And he may be right to do so. A £1m transfer fee can be used for the wages for 2 top players at this level , if you can get them on a free.

He is absolute class . - so why are Wolves getting rid of him?

but norwich are a division above us and have over 20000 ST holders. - this means nothing to be honest, Wigan probably have a quarter of this and sign top class players.

The same Puncheon that got in to the League 1 team of the season? Puncheon has got everything a winger needs and replacing him on the right wing when he is left footed and totally devoid of pace would not be the wisest of moves. Puncheon has proven on his day he is untouchable at this level and definitely has the potential to grow with us as well. Particularly with the loss of Waigo and by the looks of it Antonio, I dont think taking Punch out of the team would do much for the overall pace of the team would it? As for whoever said Surman is "absolute class" I'd like to know on what basis they have formed this opinion.

Puncheon's found his level in Div 1 and good luck to him. He couldnt get into a poor Plymouth Championship team, and unlike Surman, wasnt considered good enough to play for England U21's.

And why are you so obsessed with pace ?

Look at Englands's supposed top midfield players (as opposed to wingers) Lampard, Gerrard, Barry, Carrick etc - not sure I can spot any pace there.

The same Puncheon that got in to the League 1 team of the season? Puncheon has got everything a winger needs and replacing him on the right wing when he is left footed and totally devoid of pace would not be the wisest of moves. Puncheon has proven on his day he is untouchable at this level and definitely has the potential to grow with us as well. Particularly with the loss of Waigo and by the looks of it Antonio, I dont think taking Punch out of the team would do much for the overall pace of the team would it? As for whoever said Surman is "absolute class" I'd like to know on what basis they have formed this opinion.

Surman and Puncheon are both left footed and towards the end of the season Lallana and Puncheon where swapping around so often it didn't make much of a difference.

Puncheon is great for us at this level but we could improve on him and Surman would be an improvement, no doubt about it.

Wow a lot of player bashing in here just because he didn't sign! Surman is a good player but he has not had any great seasons here. In our relegation year he played just as many crap games as good. As others mentioned where would he play? Puncheon in my view is a better winger i am sure his assists and goal ratios might prove that. Morgan is getting better every year and alongside hammond have formed a good partnership.

Surman screwed up by leaving us as it has hurt his development. It would of been nice to see him sign but it doesn't make us any worse that he hasn't.

Wow a lot of player bashing in here just because he didn't sign! Surman is a good player but he has not had any great seasons here. In our relegation year he played just as many crap games as good. As others mentioned where would he play? Puncheon in my view is a better winger i am sure his assists and goal ratios might prove that. Morgan is getting better every year and alongside hammond have formed a good partnership.

Surman screwed up by leaving us as it has hurt his development. It would of been nice to see him sign but it doesn't make us any worse that he hasn't.

You can't compare assist and goal ratios when Surman has always played at a higher level then Puncheon. It's like saying Rickie Lambert or Lee Barnard are better than Drogba or Rooney.

Surman would be a class above in this league and it's a shame we're missing out. I'm sure the same people knocking Surman would be praising him if he signed, same if we signed a midfielder like Stock or Danns.

And why are you so obsessed with pace ?

Look at Englands's supposed top midfield players (as opposed to wingers) Lampard, Gerrard, Barry, Carrick etc - not sure I can spot any pace there.

one of the major reasons england have been so poor.

Gerrard is very quick by the way

You can't compare assist and goal ratios when Surman has always played at a higher level then Puncheon. It's like saying Rickie Lambert or Lee Barnard are better than Drogba or Rooney.

Surman would be a class above in this league and it's a shame we're missing out. I'm sure the same people knocking Surman would be praising him if he signed, same if we signed a midfielder like Stock or Danns.

I watched Lambert play for us about 25 times.

I watched Rooney play in world cup.

Lambert is better than Rooney!

I'm glad we didn't resign him, nothing against the lad, I just dont rate him. Too one paced and too light weight. Not in the same class as Lallana and Morgan and I would rather have Puncheon and Hammond in League 1. Of the very long list of players who left this Club too early in their careers, Surman is way way down the list when it comes to who I'd like to have come back.

Surman is a good player and it would have been nice to see him back in the red and white, sadly it wasn't to be. It's not the end of the world, it's not like we've missed out on signing Messi or Kaka there are plenty of other player out there of Surmans standard many of whom I'm sure will be interesting our managment.

Best of luck to him, I wish him nothing but the best - think he'll do well at Porridge.

It's rarely a good idea to go back once you've left a club albeit we're told he didn't want to leave. The players the current regime have brought in have been excellent both in the job they have done in this league & the deal that they have been brought in on - I have faith that this will continue ongoing.

Move on...& up!

I can now confirm that Pardew tried to get Surman on loan just before the window closed in March but McCarthy blocked it.

Wonder why McCarthy blocked it? I guess it was because he either wanted Surman as cover for the remainder of the season or he was after a sale only.

Still doesnt change things that much. If Pards was prepared to buy him it wouldve shown AP wanted and highly rated him. A loan is as good as a trial but no-more in my eyes if Pards was looking for Surman in March. Still sounds to me as if Pards was unconvinced.