Andrew Surman Has Been Told He Can Leave.

View From The Top

I have not been in touch with Steve, his dad, for a few weeks now. Last he told me was he doubted Drew would be at Wolves next season but did not expect any movement until after the world cup. I could not put that up until Wolves had formerly said he could leave.

I have no reason to believe he is about to sign. I am not going to ask as if he was in talks that would be confidential and I would not put a friendship under pressure by asking.

I will wait and see what happens like all the rest. Speculation and rumour are usually wrong.

If and I suspect its a big if, we do bring Drew back, then that sends out a huge message of intent.

For a L1 team to spend good money (500k plus?) on a premier league player is almost unheard of.

Would love it to be true.

I think we sent out plenty of messages of intent last season.

I have not been in touch with Steve, his dad, for a few weeks now. Last he told me was he doubted Drew would be at Wolves next season but did not expect any movement until after the world cup. I could not put that up until Wolves had formerly said he could leave.

I have no reason to believe he is about to sign. I am not going to ask as if he was in talks that would be confidential and I would not put a friendship under pressure by asking.

I will wait and see what happens like all the rest. Speculation and rumour are usually wrong.

Good man :smt023

Que sera sera. If it happens - brilliant. If not - no problem, wasn't expecting it anyway.

don't mean to be personal but thought it was you saying the opposite - that they wanted him to stay?

If Surman resigned would he count as a homegrown player and thus comply with the new rules?

Isn't the home grown thing relating to being registered to an English club for 3 years prior to the age of 21, rather than the specific club they're playing for? I suspect foreign players who cam over at a young age may also qualify.

If Surman resigned would he count as a homegrown player and thus comply with the new rules?

When it says homegrown it means registered as a player for 3 seasons at any club in the country under the age of 21. It doesn't mean they have to be English, nor does it mean they have to have been at your club before 21 for three years.

The only players that don't count as homegrown in the current Saints squad are...

Jose Fonte

Radhi Jaidi

Morgan Schneiderlin (although he will become homegrown this season as it is his 3rd season and he is under 21 years old)

Therefore Saints comply with the rules extremely easily. As will basically every club unless they have more than 15 players that weren't at English club for 3 years between 16 and 21. I very much doubt this rule will effect anyone in the Football League.

Isn't the home grown thing relating to being registered to an English club for 3 years prior to the age of 21, rather than the specific club they're playing for? I suspect foreign players who cam over at a young age may also qualify.

Is it? OK, i thought it meant being at Saints for 3 years.

• 2 weeks later...
Was there any sell on deal? Can't say I saw much future for him at SMS. Couldn't see him getting a start ahead of P-H-S-L in midfield, and would he have wanted to keep a bench warm?

Bloody hell, this new forum has taken my post quota down to '1', so think I need to double it.

Great moustache on the banner, though. Reckon all the team should have them for the squad photo...... Would **** off NC!!

It's interesting Mick MacCarthy has been pretty busy while at the world cup commentating....

Doesn't take much effort to leave a post-it note with a list of names stuck to the Chairman's forehead.

'ere y'are our kid - sort that lot f'rus. I'm off t' world Cup. bye.'

It's interesting Mick MacCarthy has been pretty busy while at the world cup commentating....

The buy/sell list was done weeks ago.

A certain ex-England srtiker, currently at the biggest club in England, has been at the Wolves base twice. Once for a look around and once for talks. My contact at Wolves was far too exicted when they phoned to tell me that they'd just bumped into him.

The buy/sell list was done weeks ago.

A certain ex-England srtiker, currently at the biggest club in England, has been at the Wolves base twice. Once for a look around and once for talks. My contact at Wolves was far too exicted when they phoned to tell me that they'd just bumped into him.

Michael Owen?