Andrew Surman Has Been Told He Can Leave.

View From The Top

I'd be looking longer term if I were him. Dropping to CCC will put him out of the limelight anyway (and thus quash any international aspirations he may still yearn for) so, in terms of his career, it would be no less damaging to drop two leagues in the short term...IMHO
Don't think a player can have any international aspitrations above u-21 unless playing in the Prem. Surman could do worse than have season in DIV1 with a side that gets auto promotion, but is there any reason for Saints to prefer him against other options just because he's been here before?

Actually I wasn't having a go at Surman. I am just wondering why there is so little interest... genuinely.

I'd have thought more Clubs in the CCC WOULD have been connected with him to be honest. But I guess it's only early days in the transfer window.

What I'd really like to know from those with connections to Drew is would he actually come back if he was asked this summer?

Not asked the question but I suspect he would.

Reason for no other enquiries is that he is still under contract with Wolves and as far as I know he has not been put on the transfer list. We have a world cup just about to start and I suspect until that is over we will hear very little about transfers.

Sheffield Utd we after him when he signed for Wolves so they might come back if he is to move on. I expect Pardew to do the same but wages might be a stumbling block. I do not know what Drew earnes but it is quite a bit more than he previously earned with Saints.

Edited by Weston Saint

Don't think a player can have any international aspitrations above u-21 unless playing in the Prem. Surman could do worse than have season in DIV1 with a side that gets auto promotion, but is there any reason for Saints to prefer him against other options just because he's been here before?

I agree Prof. The problem is we are unable to debate this without knowing exactly who Alan Pardew may have in mind instead of Surman. So far Pards has both surprised and impressed me with the quality of players he has attracted, the evidence would suggest that Pardew could just as easily find someone as good if not better than Surman for his position as he did when he landed Connolly, Lambert etc.

Added to the equation is the fact that no-one knows if Surman actually wants to return or if he'd prefer to move to a CCC club knocking on the door of the Premiership like Forest where a number of the players he grew up with here at Southampton are already playing.

Would I like him in the squad? Yes I guess I would, he's a supporter, decent player who was certainly one of the few in the Wotte/Lowe team who was CCC quality rather than League 1 or 2 and had some potential. But, would I be be disappointed if Pardew threw up an alternative? No... because I trust Pardew's judgement given his track record thus far.

Not asked the question but I suspect he would.

Reason for no other enquiries is that he is still under contract with Wolves and as far as I know he has not been put on the transfer list. We have a world cup just about to start and I suspect until that is over we will hear very little about transfers.

Sheffield Utd we after him when he signed for Wolves so they might come back if he is to move on. I expect Pardew to do the same but wages might be a stumbling block. I do not know what Drew earnes but it is quite a bit more than he previously earned with Saints.

If Pardew went for him I'd be happy.

If Drew turned him down due to wages it would be understandable but damaging to his perceived image as a True Saint.

To be honest, if I was Surman and Pardew came knocking, I'd jump at the chance of returning. A year in League 1 and a promotion (and who knows another JPT Trophy?) before romping through the CCC on the way to the Premiership in 2 years at his age must be attractive to anyone, especially if you are a supporter of the club.

Edited by SaintRobbie
spellink

It would have been interesting to be a fly on the wall listening to conversations between Adam Lallana and Drew during this last year. In my opinion Adam has progressed most as a footballer from actually playing, albeit two divisions lower, whilst Surman most likely earned much more.

I wonder what they are recommending to each other now?

It would have been interesting to be a fly on the wall listening to conversations between Adam Lallana and Drew during this last year. In my opinion Adam has progressed most as a footballer from actually playing, albeit two divisions lower, whilst Surman most likely earned much more.

I wonder what they are recommending to each other now?

wasn't there a thread about that?;)

Not correct according to my contact, his father.

Weston, sorry just for clarification (if you feel able) which part is incorrect: that Saints approached Wolves to take Surman on loan in Jan or that Surman turned it down because he wouldn't drop 2 divisions?

Weston, sorry just for clarification (if you feel able) which part is incorrect: that Saints approached Wolves to take Surman on loan in Jan or that Surman turned it down because he wouldn't drop 2 divisions?
No loan approach in January so he had nothing to turn down.

Spoken to my Wolves contact and as far as they know there has been no contact between SFC & WWFC but his agent is hawking him about.

The WWFC club secretary is on annual leave until next Friday as no transfers will be made before then, or so I've been told.

I suspect nothing will happen until after the world cup

We can do better.

Much better.

Some people's expectations are a bit unrealistic IMO. Iwelumo would be a great signing, he is at a Prem club currently, has loads of experience and has goals in him at this level and the championship.

That rumour doesn't really tie in with that link though. It sounds like he's going back to try and get a first team spot.

Could work in his favour, with a solid season in 2010/11 he could then be in a better position to challenge for a first team spot in 2011/12.

Still only being 20 would be also be ideal for his development.

May be a case of one of Jutkiewicz or Vokes on loan?

I don't get why people wouldn't want Surman back. I'll admit, I don't go to games as often as a lot of posters here, but Surman looked excellent in most of the games I watched him in.

Also, we're at a lower level now, plus there's no doubting Surman's love for the club. I think he'd be an excellent addition to the squad and would love to see him back.

I agree ...some people seem to forget that he is as much Saints as almost anyone.. we have / have had.. on staff and he was " forcibly sold " (and cheap at the price) in order to have money to pay the other players last summer (before ML / NC appeared on the scene).

As others have mentioned, he's not world-class but as good as anyone we have in CM and one season in L1 ..and the prospect of better days in CCC are better than sitting on the Wolves bench...given the situation - I'm sure the clubs can come to a 50/50 deal or something of the sort. Wolves can't complain too much they " stole him" in the first place.

Sign him, say I !

How many more goals would "Super Lambo" get with Surman's driving runs and measured crosses from the by line ?

Surman doing driving runs into the box?

He was by far one of the slowest players I've ever seen in a Saints shirt. That said I was always in the 'I don't rate Andrew Surman' minority.

He's never had 'pace', but has a good engine though.

Perhaps that's because he was working under a regime that didn't do enough with the players fitness levels? I remember hearing about a number of players leaving Saints around that time who were found out by their new club to be someway off full fitness. Kenwyne Jones was one if I remember correctly. Personally I think Surman coming to us would be a win-win situation and many would be surprised at how good he seems in comparison with some of our current players (as good as they might be).

• 3 weeks later...
I know someone who works at Wolves in an player admin role so I contacted them after reading the thread this morning.

Surman was told last week that he could look for a new club as he wasn't required at WWFC.

8 players including Chris Iwelumo and Richard Stearman were given the same message.

Make of that what you will

Mr VFTT,

After so many telling you were wrong thought this deserved its credit!

Edited by NickG

Not sure tbh,he was stood on the southbound side of Winchester road,looked like he was waiting for a lift.

Blimey he only got married on Saturday and now she has thrown him out knowing she can now have half of his money.

:-)

I know Surman is a huge fan, but it's very unlikely he'll end up here!

Wolves only bought him for £1M, so they would probably take a small loss on him

At something like £700k I'd be very surprised if a CCC didn't take a chance on him