Andrew Surman Has Been Told He Can Leave.

View From The Top

You don't know who the manager wants, nor do you know that he is not interested in Surman, who in my opinion he would be mad not to be.

As for the putting the trust in the expert, i will echo what VFTT said, who ?? Who are these players ??

Surman looked pretty good for us, and very good at Bournemouth in league 1, he would easily fit in our squad.

Or have you heard Kaka is looking for a way out of Real ??

LOL. No in other words I dont think we need Surman as I have faith for once in my management team to continue to build a squad capable of success. Doesnt sound like crap to me... sounds like contentedness in supporting the manager I rate highly.

But hey, if you think our manager and backers have bought crap and want the old team back that's entirely up to you and your opinion. Mine is that Surman isnt needed and Pardew is more likely than you or I to spot someone who is.

I didnt say Surman couldnt play for us - I said there are probably other players that Pards actually wants above Surman, and frankly I look forward to continuing the rebuild with fresh players who fit in with the managers plans.

If Surman is part of Pardews plans so be it. But, I shall not lose any sleep if Surman signs for Forest or a n other.

Surman was part of a badly managed squad and club - that doesn't make him a bad player. If anything he was trying too hard when everything was collapsing in our relegation season, with no experienced players to help him through. He had a a great season when we got in the play-offs, scored a few goals and had the most assists.

Some people overrate some of our current squad because they are only seeing them against League One opposition and they are being properly prepared for matches and better managed. The test will be whenever we get promoted - Puncheon didn't make it at Plymouth, even though they were one of the worst teams in the Championship. There are plenty of players dismissed as crap when they were at Saints currently successfully playing at a higher level than we are - they are being better managed. Surman would be outstanding at this level, I have no doubt.

great first touch, decent footballing brain, plays with his head up and gave everything in that relegation season. What a terrific asset he would be if we could get him. As for position, he's a centre midfielder in my eyes. I can't see him dropping two divisions but here's hoping.

great first touch, decent footballing brain, plays with his head up and gave everything in that relegation season. What a terrific asset he would be if we could get him. As for position, he's a centre midfielder in my eyes. I can't see him dropping two divisions but here's hoping.

Nail on head as usual Chezer

Agree with this.

Having seen Lallana improve leaps and bounds this season I did wonder to myself how good Surman would have become under the watch of Pardew. Think he'd be a fantastic signing and a shoe-in for future club captain IMO. Only issue is who would be dropped in midfield as I wouldn't change the first choice of JP, DH, MS and AL.

OK - I can understand that Drew is a Saints supporter and popular, but when we can attract and afford better why would we want him back?

Can you name some of these players who you consider better and who would be likely to come? It would be quite a short list in my opinion.

Agree with all of this, however, watching him play he seems to redefine the word 'slow' maybe that was mainly because he played wide left where pace is more of a requirement but I'd worry the game might pass him by in the middle.

However if it was possible I'd get him in like a shot he ticks all the boxes, young, a quality player at CCC level and has the right kind of attitude, Saints fan through and through which counts for something as well.

Surman would be an assist at this level, what he lacks in pace he makes up with application. I think the reason he's struggled to make an impact at a high level is because the game is passing him by, if you dont play through him, then you have to play past him.

However, at this level where the game is slower his quailty would show. He'll play with his head up, pick out a pass and will allow other players the freedom to create.

Very similair to matthew Oakley in that respect.

Having seen a lot of Surmans games for Saints in the last two seasons he was here, I would say he is a Jekyll and Hyde type of player. He had some very good games mixed with an equal amount of average and poor games.

I'd also agree with others in that at times he let's the game pass him by, but the same can be said of Hammond and to a lesser extent Morgan, although Hammond and Morgan both get in where it hurts and win the ball back. Add Morgan's passing ability in and there's no way that Surman should be in the side ahead of him. Surman is a decent player but the only position he could take in Saints current team without weakening it defensively, is that of back up to Morgan, which I very much doubt Surman would be too impressed at the thought of being.

I would say he is a Jekyll and Hyde type of player. He had some very good games mixed with an equal amount of average and poor games.

LMAO

So basically what you are saying is that he is consistent with pretty much every footballer in England, bar your Rooneys, Drogbas etc.

Honest to god this place does make me laugh sometimes.

Having seen a lot of Surmans games for Saints in the last two seasons he was here, I would say he is a Jekyll and Hyde type of player. He had some very good games mixed with an equal amount of average and poor games.

I'd also agree with others in that at times he let's the game pass him by, but the same can be said of Hammond and to a lesser extent Morgan, although Hammond and Morgan both get in where it hurts and win the ball back. Add Morgan's passing ability in and there's no way that Surman should be in the side ahead of him. Surman is a decent player but the only position he could take in Saints current team without weakening it defensively, is that of back up to Morgan, which I very much doubt Surman would be too impressed at the thought of being.

Last season Morgan was being slated for not being able to tackle and that he was a lightweight player. However, under the new regime he has learnt to get stuck in and tackle more so whats too say the same couldn't be done for Surman?

If surman wasn't a previous Saints player - would this discussion be going on.... for 4 pages?

If this place didn't have an average IQ of 6, would this discussion be going on for 4 pages?

I'd have Surman back - however, as people have said, it's what Pards wants, and whether he'd fit in. It's dead easy to look back at players gone, as they are known entities to us.

If you'd have asked me throughout the close season last yr, and subsequent windows, I'd have been "who?" about Antonio and Waigo for starters. The pleasant surprise of signing Connolly, Fonte, Harding, Rickie have all been excellent. People that I didn't think were on our radar, whether because we didn't think we could get them, or because frankly we've never heard of them. I don't think there's been a Pardew signing I've not been impressed with (Seabourne I think has bags of potential, Barny has a great record this year and will continue to be a threat), and most have come from leftfield. Happy to let him keep that coming.

To sum up my waffle, I'm looking forward to seeing who we sign - if its Surman, great, but similarly, for me, Pards have already proved he can spot a player so I have faith in his decisions in the transfer market based on the last 10 months or so.

..... but lacks pace.

If this place didn't have an average IQ of 6, would this discussion be going on for 4 pages?

Well, some people on this site still seem to rate a certain Alastair Cook, so it's fair to see the average IQ on here is very low. :)

Not much demand for him then from professional football managers. Wonder why?
If you are who I think you are, if you were educated where I think you were, if you work for who I think you do and if you hold the position I think you do, I am very worried about not only you but the rest of us as well.

would give that Walcott lad a run out, and maybe Bale:confused:

...I didn't phrase that too well - I meant of all the realistic ex-Saints we could re-sign, along the lines of McG and not Bale or Walcott, Surman would be the oone I'd be interested in bringing back. Perhaps in a couple of promotion's time, we could think about bringing back Bale and Walcott!

Southampton Fc tried to bring Surman in on loan in January and he would not come as he did not want to drop two divisions at the time. I know this through a customer in my shop who is good buddies with Surman. Said he would be prepared to drop to the Championship. So l cant see this happening.

Southampton Fc tried to bring Surman in on loan in January and he would not come as he did not want to drop two divisions at the time. I know this through a customer in my shop who is good buddies with Surman. Said he would be prepared to drop to the Championship. So l cant see this happening.

I'd be looking longer term if I were him. Dropping to CCC will put him out of the limelight anyway (and thus quash any international aspirations he may still yearn for) so, in terms of his career, it would be no less damaging to drop two leagues in the short term...IMHO

That sounds conclusive! ;)

Not correct according to my contact, his father.

You have no evidence what so ever to back that statement up. Well done on having a needless cheap shot at an ex player though, bravo.

Actually I wasn't having a go at Surman. I am just wondering why there is so little interest... genuinely.

I'd have thought more Clubs in the CCC WOULD have been connected with him to be honest. But I guess it's only early days in the transfer window.

What I'd really like to know from those with connections to Drew is would he actually come back if he was asked this summer?