Andrew Surman Has Been Told He Can Leave.

View From The Top

OK I can now confirm this is unfounded speculation. Drew is not aware of any approach.

It is known that Pardew rates him but that is all at present.

I will put this on the other Surman threads as well.

Do you know if he'd even be interested?

Maybe VFTT can clarify his thread starting then..............WUM? BS?

My info is 100% and has been confirmed to me by two sources, one of whom is directly involved with the 1st team. The original source deals with all the player admin'/registration etc.

I hardly have a record of made up rumours and I happen to work in the Black Country.

You sound more like a professional acquaintance than a friend tbh.

tbf if Surman did comment that he wanted to leave Wolves for Saints whilst he was under contract it wouldn't look good to his current employers. So a family friend wouldn't want to put him in that position.

Edited by Matthew Le God

You sound more like a professional acquaintance than a friend tbh.
I am a close friend of his Mum & Dad going back to before they were married. Kept in touch when they worked in Jersey and then SA including when they visited UK to see family with Paul & Drew as young kids. When they came back they rented my brother in laws place until they bought there own. So no not professional.

Hmm, sometimes the grass isn't actually greener on the other side. Any overly ambitious Saints players from the current squad might perhaps take note.

Or they might look at Bale at Spurs and say I'll have some of that. Although in fairness Bale is twice the player Surman is.

Or they might look at Bale at Spurs and say I'll have some of that. Although in fairness Bale is twice the player Surman is.

Bale was winning matches pretty much on his own in his first senior year. He really was outstanding. I remember saying to mates from London that he would at that time have walked into most English teams outside of the top six.

I have watched a fair few youngsters come through but I have never seen a player improve so rapidly as Bale.

Was regularly MoM or us in the Championship. He did lack a little pace and tired easily but should be able to overcome the latter with the training set up we have now. He is a classy player and without doubt, would be a very useful addition to our squad.

WS is playing this quite correctly, and we should compliment him for that, not put him under pressure to ask such questions.

If VFTT's info is correct - and it sounds like it is - then and only then should WS consider asking such a question of the family. Even so, a Pardew to McCarthy enquiry would be the only formal way forward.

Would love to see him sign, I think under Pardew we've played our best football in a 4-5-1, as much as I rate Connolly we just seem so much more in control when we've got five across the middle.

Chucking Surman into the mix would only make things better, would be a fantastic signing as not only would he make the 4-5-1 stronger he would also offer an option on both wings and in the middle if we chose to play 4-4-2.

if he was interested he could easily say, to family friends that he wouldn't disregard an offer - hardly undermining his position -particularly as hardly played for them

Especially as there's a new rule in the EPL about naming a squad of 25 senior players only of which 8 must be home grown (ie with an English or Welsh club for 3 years before they turn 21) I don't know much about Wolves squad and how they stand on that though.

I think Manchester Cityesque squads are over and done with though, guess they're be a lot of loan players available this summer.

OK - I can understand that Drew is a Saints supporter and popular, but when we can attract and afford better why would we want him back?

He is a current Premiership player, proven at Championship level. Something only Fonte and in the past Jaidi, Connolly and Davis can say of those currently in the squad. Saints are a League One club and Surman would walk into our squad and starting line-up.

Maybe VFTT can clarify his thread starting then..............WUM? BS?

The OP says that Surman has been told he can leave. Weston states that Surman has not been approached.

Both could be true at the same time.

OK - I can understand that Drew is a Saints supporter and popular, but when we can attract and afford better why would we want him back?

Very blinkered veiw IMO , Who says we can attract or afford better than a current premiership player. Drew might not be a Lampard or Gerard in terms of a midfielder but he is certainly as good or better than anything midfield wise we presently have at the club.

Drew was 1 of our best players hence why he was sold for good money and made the under 21 squad at this level he would be a asset and we need a quality midfielder.

I would be very happy to see him back here it would be a great signing it is always nice to have a player that is Saints through & through HCDAJFU

Would love to see him sign, I think under Pardew we've played our best football in a 4-5-1, as much as I rate Connolly we just seem so much more in control when we've got five across the middle.

Chucking Surman into the mix would only make things better, would be a fantastic signing as not only would he make the 4-5-1 stronger he would also offer an option on both wings and in the middle if we chose to play 4-4-2.

He is a current Premiership player, proven at Championship level. Something only Fonte and in the past Jaidi, Connolly and Davis can say of those currently in the squad. Saints are a League One club and Surman would walk into our squad and starting line-up.

Very blinkered veiw IMO , Who says we can attract or afford better than a current premiership player. Drew might not be a Lampard or Gerard in terms of a midfielder but he is certainly as good or better than anything midfield wise we presently have at the club.

I completely agree with these 3 qoutes.

We definately have played better in the 4-5-1 formation and have controlled games, it is a shame for Barnard and even connelly, but thats the way it is, no time for sentiment.

And that leads me on to Surman, it would NOT be sentiment, he was a great, committed little player at CCC level and flexible to boot. He did have fitness issues but this can be worked on, look at Rickie !!

He could definately do a job at league 1 and is probably a better player than Hammond TBH.

I do wonder with some people at times, some of you do realise we are still in league one don't you ?:confused:? For this level Surman is more than we need.

I don't get why people wouldn't want Surman back. I'll admit, I don't go to games as often as a lot of posters here, but Surman looked excellent in most of the games I watched him in.

Also, we're at a lower level now, plus there's no doubting Surman's love for the club. I think he'd be an excellent addition to the squad and would love to see him back.

His "Premiership" wages would be a stumbling block methinks - unless he is prepared to take a cut or Wolves do some sort of deal which I doubt.

I expect him to be gracing the Championship next season, possibly with Forest, Leicester, Norwich or another club with serious ambitions of reaching the Prem.

I like Drew but I think he is one of that band of players who's attributes lie somewhere between the CCC and the Premiership. Would certainly prefer him to Hammond though.

His wages at Wolves are 10-12k aweek.

My info is 100% and has been confirmed to me by two sources, one of whom is directly involved with the 1st team. The original source deals with all the player admin'/registration etc.

I hardly have a record of made up rumours and I happen to work in the Black Country.

Commiserations.

I would take Drew back in a heartbeat. The option came to play in the top division and he took it - and we needed the money too. I expect that if he came back he'd have to win a few people over, but I don't for a second think he'd struggle to fit back in - he's still quality, and would be the left footer we need in midfield.

He's The only ex-Saint I can envisage, and that I would want, back at SMS.

I've got no probs with him coming back..providing he doesn't play on the right wing...never forget hammering by Watford at home 3.0- beat defender/found space then kept cutting back in...However, confidence was low and the team had a useless manager.

Pardew and his team are clearly very good at motivating and getting players to be fitter!

If he doesn't return, then we must be getting someone better!!

I would take Drew back in a heartbeat. The option came to play in the top division and he took it - and we needed the money too. I expect that if he came back he'd have to win a few people over, but I don't for a second think he'd struggle to fit back in - he's still quality, and would be the left footer we need in midfield.

He's The only ex-Saint I can envisage, and that I would want, back at SMS.

would give that Walcott lad a run out, and maybe Bale:confused:

We can do better.

Much better.

Although I was a fan of Surman, he is from the old days at Saints,when he was one of the better players in a poor team.

He was Saints through and through,yes, but limited and not any better than what we have now.

As the New Saints develop we should be looking to improve beyond what we have here now and definately what we have had in the past.

I do agree HCDAJFU but there are better players out there that can get stuck in and boss the midfield, whereas I don't see Drew as that type of player and anyway he would at best be cover for Spiderman and Deano.

Would he leave a Premiership sides bench to drop two divisions and warm ours?

I'm sorry but if he was worth getting back i'm sure Pards would be falling over himself to get him... but he isnt. He was part of a failed squad, the majority of whom we have thankfully now released.

I dont think we need him to get out of this League and we certainly wont need him in the CCC where he was OK but no more. Also, he has failed in the Premiership where we hope to be in 2-3 seasons so why buy a player who could be baggage?

Why do we need him? Frankly there's better out there for Pardew to invest in IMHO. We dont need has beens...

though if Theo wanted to make a comeback or Crouchie or Gareth Bale I'd maybe think again!

Not really surprised Surman didn't make it at Wolves, although admittedly his injury did him no favours. Just never thought he was quite good enough for the Prem; not strong enough for a central midfielder and not quick enough for a left winger. Still would make a good Championship player though, so it would be a bit of a coup if he did return, but I'd expect him to set his sights higher than us unfortunately. Plus his wages would be Prem level.

Surman would be a good prem player if he was at the club he loves.

I'm sorry but if he was worth getting back i'm sure Pards would be falling over himself to get him... but he isnt. He was part of a failed squad, the majority of whom we have thankfully now released.

I dont think we need him to get out of this League and we certainly wont need him in the CCC where he was OK but no more. Also, he has failed in the Premiership where we hope to be in 2-3 seasons so why buy a player who could be baggage?

Why do we need him? Frankly there's better out there for Pardew to invest in IMHO. We dont need has beens...

though if Theo wanted to make a comeback or Crouchie or Gareth Bale I'd maybe think again!

He never got a chance at Wolves, he was signed at a cut price as a squad player, nothing more - which is a shame, because i feel he could have offered something.

If he was promoted to the prem with us and was settled in the team, i think he'd have much more impact.

Name a better player than Surman, realistically ?? That we could target ?? That, if reports are correct is being released ??

Considering he is clearly not good enough !!!!!

Name a better player than Surman, realistically ?? That we could target ?? That, if reports are correct is being released ??

Considering he is clearly not good enough !!!!!

I am putting my trust in the expert .. Alan Pardew.

Anyway, he isnt coming and i and you need not lose any sleep about it! :)

He never got a chance at Wolves, he was signed at a cut price as a squad player, nothing more - which is a shame, because i feel he could have offered something.

If he was promoted to the prem with us and was settled in the team, i think he'd have much more impact.

He never got a chance at Wolves as he wasnt good enough to get in the team.

I am putting my trust in the expert .. Alan Pardew.

Anyway, he isnt coming and i and you need not lose any sleep about it! :)

You're the one spouting off how we could afford better than a EPL player who has proven he can do it in the CCC so name them.

Who are these mystical EPL players who will drop down to L1?

You're the one spouting off how we could afford better than a EPL player who has proven he can do it in the CCC so name them.

Who are these mystical EPL players who will drop down to L1?

We shall see what Pards and our backers recruit wll we not... they've done well to attract a shed load of CCC plus players thus far, I look forward to the next batch.