Andrew Surman Has Been Told He Can Leave.

View From The Top

His "Premiership" wages would be a stumbling block methinks - unless he is prepared to take a cut or Wolves do some sort of deal which I doubt.

I expect him to be gracing the Championship next season, possibly with Forest, Leicester, Norwich or another club with serious ambitions of reaching the Prem.

I like Drew but I think he is one of that band of players who's attributes lie somewhere between the CCC and the Premiership. Would certainly prefer him to Hammond though.

We have just let a load of players go. The message is clear - NC wants a smaller payroll, but a better one.

Surman had a reasonable season in the CCC, but nothing spectacular. Pace is king these days - he's got none. IMO he's a journeyman player who, like many many others, has one and no more than two "decent" seasons.

Just because he once played for us is absolutely no reason to buy him back. How long a contract would you give him if we did? He is not the quality we need at this juncture. We don't want another relatively high wage earner who would be little more than a back-up squad player. He is neither strong enough nor fast enough to give us something "extra" next season and beyond.

Loan is the only way forward if he is to come back.It would be a nonsense to pay stupid wages again in L1 For me he is too slow even this league. Id love ot be proved wrong. He lost his way when there was talk of him being an England ?south african player for this WC

Loan is the only way forward if he is to come back.It would be a nonsense to pay stupid wages again in L1 For me he is too slow even this league. Id love ot be proved wrong. He lost his way when there was talk of him being an England ?south african player for this WC

I agree that Drew isn't the quickest but lots of players without pace have prospered at the top level - Sheringham, Kevin Davies etc. However, without pace you do need strength in order for a good first touch and football brain - which Drew has - to influence the game. The coaching staff here pre-Markus and Pardew were a shambles. It was obvious that he needed to increase his upper body strength after a promising first full season for us in 06/07 and that should have happened over the following summer but instead the issue and Drew's game was left to wither on the vine.

I agree that Drew isn't the quickest but lots of players without pace have prospered at the top level - Sheringham, Kevin Davies etc. However, without pace you do need strength in order for a good first touch and football brain - which Drew has - to influence the game. The coaching staff here pre-Markus and Pardew were a shambles. It was obvious that he needed to increase his upper body strength after a promising first full season for us in 06/07 and that should have happened over the following summer but instead the issue and Drew's game was left to wither on the vine.

Perhaps, but do you not think that sometimes the players should actually think 'I need to improvem y strength,' and then ask how to do so

Just because he once played for us is absolutely no reason to buy him back. How long a contract would you give him if we did? He is not the quality we need at this juncture. We don't want another relatively high wage earner who would be little more than a back-up squad player. He is neither strong enough nor fast enough to give us something "extra" next season and beyond.

Just because he has had a Premier payday, why would he demand high wages? If he wants to return to Southampton, then we should definately consider making him an offer. He knows our wage structure, and would be expecting a similar wage to Adam (if he was on more than Adam there would be trouble).

I don't think Surman is an amazing player, but he would have a roll in our squad, and has a lot to offer. If he were signed, he might not be first choice, but he'd certainly be close, and putting pressure on the first team.

As long as we don't pay a large fee, or wages more than Lallana's, there would definately be a place for Surman back at St Mary's.

---------------Davis--------------

Calderon----Fonte---Jaidi-----Harding

Punch---Hammond/new-----Morgan---Lallana

--------------Surman--------------

--------------Lambert-----------------

How good is that with a couple of pacy options on the bench + Barnard.

Lallana, Punch and Surman can all play in each other's position. If we could get that working it would be beautiful, it would be "the Southampton Style" and it would be a winning style.

Surman would be a great little coup for us TBH, i would love to see him back here, and after a season of nothing at Wolves i am sure he would welcome a return with fire in his belly.

He always looked pretty good for me and is definately a better footballer than Hammond and would certainly provide cover if nothing else.

Iwelumo ?? Hmm, i can see the point that Stevo made, we do need someone to cover Lambert, problem is, there are not many players that would happily be his understudy.

Tooooooo much sentiment.............not enough substance. We are a side with very high standards and ambitions now.

Surman is often off the pace and prone to day dreaming. If he can't find a place in the Wolves team - which was expected when he left, then finding a place in our team now would be just as hard.

Lallana, Punch and Surman can all play in each other's position. If we could get that working it would be beautiful, it would be "the Southampton Style" and it would be a winning style.

At first glance that looks a strong team.

But Puncheon doesnt turn up sometimes, and I think Barnard's under-utilisation is criminal.

I would like Antonio and Papa to be those bench options, along with another CM that can make things happen.

Edited by alpine_saint

Lol @ the mongs thinking he wouldn't get in our side/we could do better.

Surman was one of our best players in the CCC, and took the pi*s in this league as a 18 year old nipper on loan to bmouth from us.

Surman in the middle with MS and Hammond, with puncheon and lallana either side with lambert up top would be immence in this league.

Alpine

you are a pratt at times

Even I, over here in Austria, know that he was sold against his wishes by Lowe trying to prop his f**ked regime up for a bit longer.

I suggest you do some research about your comment re lowe. this was nothing to do with lowe. Maybe as suggested you start looking at Mark Fry. if I recall correctly drew was sold to help pay wages. He did have a potential offer from a northern club.

But hey what do I know as you have said to huntingdon we are not saints fans unlike you :yawinkle:

I think Pardew rates Surman. I think I recall that when speaking of Saints having sold their best players before he (Pardew) became Manager, Pardew spoke of Surman and McGoldrick driving on the team in a match he'd watched the season before last. He may have made the comments in one of those Solent meet the fans type events. My memory being what it is I can't remember the match either. Could have been Sheff Utd at home but not sure. I'm sure one of you lot with the encyclopaedic knowledge of Saints will be able to confirm if I'm on the right track or delerious.

At first glance that looks a strong team.

But Puncheon doesnt turn up sometimes, and I think Barnard's under-utilisation is criminal.

I would like Antonio and Papa to be those bench options, along with another CB that can make things happen.

Agree about Papa and Antonio.

Did you mean a CM rather than CB? I don't think a CB is needed. Seabourne is a good player IMO and Martin looks perfectly capable as a fourth option. If we needed an emergency fifth choice then we could get some old carthorse in on loan.

I agree with you if you did mean CM. No real competition for Hammond's place at all there; you couldn't play Surman alongside Schneiderlin IMO.

Surman was one of our best players in the CCC, and took the pi*s in this league as a 18 year old nipper on loan to bmouth from us.

Surman in the middle with MS and Hammond, with puncheon and lallana either side with lambert up top would be immence in this league.

Indeed! :)

What the heck has Lowe got to do with Surman?

Most Saints fans were in agreement last summer that Surman needed major improvement to become a decent PL player

He made good money at Wolves, but McCarthy obviously realises the guy isn't good enough

I suppose Lowe is responsible for his lack of talent eh?

My apologies for my original response to this.

What I mean to say is that I blame Lowe for Surman's departure because it was necessary to balance the books that Lowe screwed up.

Agree about Papa and Antonio.

Did you mean a CM rather than CB? I don't think a CB is needed. Seabourne is a good player IMO and Martin looks perfectly capable as a fourth option. If we needed an emergency fifth choice then we could get some old carthorse in on loan.

I agree with you if you did mean CM. No real competition for Hammond's place at all there; you couldn't play Surman alongside Schneiderlin IMO.

Yeah, I meant CM. I'm not firing on all thrusters today, apparently.

My apologies for my original response to this.

What I mean to say is that I blame Lowe for Surman's departure because it was necessary to balance the books that Lowe screwed up.

Only because Pinnacle (and the gullible fools who championed their campaign and produced 500K deposits) kept the real McCoy waiting in the wings.

I would switch Drew and Adam around. The 'new' I would like to see is Brian Stock (another Saint through and through).

Just because he has had a Premier payday, why would he demand high wages? If he wants to return to Southampton, then we should definately consider making him an offer. He knows our wage structure, and would be expecting a similar wage to Adam (if he was on more than Adam there would be trouble).

I don't think Surman is an amazing player, but he would have a roll in our squad, and has a lot to offer. If he were signed, he might not be first choice, but he'd certainly be close, and putting pressure on the first team.

As long as we don't pay a large fee, or wages more than Lallana's, there would definately be a place for Surman back at St Mary's.

I seem to recall one of Surman's last outings where Wolves got absolutely mullered. I think his contribution was zilch. But then disagreeing that he'd be ace for us seems to make me a mong. And I was called that when I suggested at the time that signing Wotton on a 3 year deal was not a good move. Proof, pudding and all that.

I would switch Drew and Adam around. The 'new' I would like to see is Brian Stock (another Saint through and through).

Stock has had major injury problems of late, would need to see him in action over a continued period before I personally took a chance on hiring him.

And if Pardew fails to go for him, will he be a mong too?

How do you know ? I havent read AP going on the record anywhere about that.

pard's made the comment at the start of the season ''it was always going to be hard for us, as we'd just lost our 2 best players. I watched the preston north end game from last season, and Surman and McGoldrick drove the team themselves that day''

We have just let a load of players go. The message is clear - NC wants a smaller payroll, but a better one.

Surman had a reasonable season in the CCC, but nothing spectacular. Pace is king these days - he's got none. IMO he's a journeyman player who, like many many others, has one and no more than two "decent" seasons.

Sorry but I totally disagree with you, Drew would be a fantastic signing for us. This reminds me of the time a certain Mike Channon left us and went to Man City only to be back almost as quick as he went because he realized his love of all things Southampton. He was a true Saints legend and I think Drew has similar feelings for Saints. Get him back if possible and I bet he will be a star in this league , and beyond.

So he'd be a mong not to want McGoldrick back?

wouldn't be surprised if he's looked at his availability, but i know alot of people didn't rate him - under the right management he could be decent though IMO - esp. at this level.

Surman would be an excellent addition to the team. Great passer of the ball, excellent first touch (something AP has critisised Hammond for not always having) and gets a good share of goals.

I would love to see Surman doing his thing within the current saints team, which is a lot better than it was in the CCC. The current team would suit him well and would bring the best out in him. I always felt he had too much weight on his shoulders in the CCC team and a lack of support from the other players who simply weren't good enough.

If we can pick up Surman and Danns we will absolutely ****** everything next season. For me Danns should still be #1 on the target list - the lad's absolute class.

Pardew has mentioned Surman by name a number of times when he talks about the squad he inherited at first having just lost its best players.

pard's made the comment at the start of the season ''it was always going to be hard for us, as we'd just lost our 2 best players. I watched the preston north end game from last season, and Surman and McGoldrick drove the team themselves that day''

But he has gone out and bought a lot of the players he wanted.

Its what he thinks NOW that matters. Maybe he rates Puncheon as better than Drew, for example.

I seem to recall one of Surman's last outings where Wolves got absolutely mullered. I think his contribution was zilch. But then disagreeing that he'd be ace for us seems to make me a mong. And I was called that when I suggested at the time that signing Wotton on a 3 year deal was not a good move. Proof, pudding and all that.

I'm not suggesting Surman is any better than we already have, but he certainly isn't as bad as you make out. Your argument seems to be that a good Championship player, playing in a poor premiership side is to blame for the poor premiership side not playing better? I've never been Surman's biggest fan, but he'd definately improve the depth of the squad. I don't for a second think he'll be an 'ace'.

Oh, and nobody is calling you a mong.

As for Wotton, why was a 3 year deal not a good idea? He's already played over 40 times in a Saints shirt, signed on a free, and while far from talented, works hard and gets a few tackles in. He's only got a year left on his contract, won't be on high wages, and still provides useful backup. There are many signings that can be criticised (Pulis, Forecast, Molyneux etc), but Wotton has IMO definately proved to be value for money.

But he has gone out and bought a lot of the players he wanted.

Its what he thinks NOW that matters. Maybe he rates Puncheon as better than Drew, for example.

Surman has proven himself in the Championship. Premiership is probably a step to far for him but Saints are in League One and he'd be an awesome signing at this level. Puncheon and Lallana have yet to do so in the Championship (I'm sure they will in time but haven't yet) and by Pardews comments that McGoldrick and Surman were the best two players means he puts them above Lallana (at least he did at the start of the season).

And if Pardew fails to go for him, will he be a mong too?

Nope. As he may feel we need to strengthen elsewhere or think we may not be able to afford his wages etc.

However should he state his reason for not going for him as "we can do better than Surman" or "he wouldn't get near our team" then yes I will conclude that pardew is infact a bit of a mong.

Drew and Morgan seem similar players to me -both creative, tactical midfielders who are a bit shy of tackling, even tough Surman played at the back for us. On the plus side, Andrew scores goals which Schneiderlin does not. We really need a hard tackling replacement for Wotton and I'm not sure that Drew can do this job well enough. I don't think Surman would want to be second fiddle to Morgan.

But he is versatile, and Drew would undoubtedly strengthen the squad.

So yes, bring him back!

Drew and Morgan seem similar players to me -both creative, tactical midfielders who are a bit shy of tackling, even tough Surman played at the back for us. On the plus side, Andrew scores goals which Schneiderlin does not. We really need a hard tackling replacement for Wotton and I'm not sure that Drew can do this job well enough. I don't think Surman would want to be second fiddle to Morgan.

But he is versatile, and Drew would undoubtedly strengthen the squad.

So yes, bring him back!

The defensive side of Schneiderlin's game has come on massively in the last year. He wins a lot of challenges and this is overlooked by many.

Any chance Iwelumo could be lured to St. Mary's? Certainly knows where the net is at this level.

Not sure how he feels about our new regime, remember he was very keen on the Lowe revoulutionary set up last season. Losing Jan/Wotte and Lowe could have blown our chance of signing him.:yawinkle:

OK I can now confirm this is unfounded speculation. Drew is not aware of any approach.

It is known that Pardew rates him but that is all at present.

I will put this on the other Surman threads as well.

in fact it would seem that some mischievous scamp (or scampess) is feeding crap to the Mail about Saints related things just to make them look silly...as if there was any need to help them in that.