Next Labour leader

TopGun

There are folks up here still at war with the House of York, so retaining a loathing for Maggie is very small beer.

And many yorkies refer to their Notts counterparts as scabs to this day.

They thought she'd leave their pits alone.

Still, they make lovely housing estates. Except that there are few jobs to pay the mortgages now.

When I worked up there in 2000 I worked with a couple of ex mine sparks. They both regretted the Notts miners actions but also knew what would happen once the dispute was over. Most of their mates had not worked since.

There's something about Abbot, she's not bad for a 50 something leftie. Have you seen her flirting with Portillo on "This week"? She's not in the Caroline Flint area but she's got something about her.

There's no way the dinosaurs in the people's party will have a Women lead them.

It will not hinge on her sex you fool. Most Labour voters know that we need to find a cure to some of the ills, especially those which turned the electorate against us. Lurching too far to the left will not be the way. That is why Abbott will not get enough votes.

Just as an aside, if she was chosen as leader and Labour were elected what would StanleyDune do? Hang himself? I can just imagine him shrieking. "A woman!! and a black one at that!!!!"

It will not hinge on her sex you fool. Most Labour voters know that we need to find a cure to some of the ills, especially those which turned the electorate against us. Lurching too far to the left will not be the way. That is why Abbott will not get enough votes.

Just as an aside, if she was chosen as leader and Labour were elected what would StanleyDune do? Hang himself? I can just imagine him shrieking. "A woman!! and a black one at that!!!!"

On the contrary i'd be delighted if either her or Prescotts mini me aka Balls becomes leader because they are both un-electable. I think Mr Bean aka David Milliband will become leader though and his smugness combined with his dull personality (a common trait among left wingers) will ensure he too never gets elected. Basically it's a win win situation and thankfully we won't be seeing another incompetent Labour government for at least another decade. Sadly in time people will forget just how bad Labour governments are and they'll get in again and riddle the nation with another mountain of debt.

And many yorkies refer to their Notts counterparts as scabs to this day.

They thought she'd leave their pits alone.

Still, they make lovely housing estates. Except that there are few jobs to pay the mortgages now.

When I worked up there in 2000 I worked with a couple of ex mine sparks. They both regretted the Notts miners actions but also knew what would happen once the dispute was over. Most of their mates had not worked since.

That was criminal of Maggie to decimate all of those mining communities. Scargill was to blame as well for creating such a them and us scenario.

Again, are you saying that she should be the leader just because she's a woman even if, after a full campaign, hustings and elections, those entitled to vote decide she is not the best candidate?

You're whole argument is, quite frankly, rather pathetic and laughable. I would suggest to try to pick a better fight as this one is even below Stanley's risible efforts.

If the rank and file got to see the views of the candidates without knowing whose views were whose, DA's would most closely match the majority of the Party, she is more in touch with the membership than David Milliband ever will be. The Labour party will never elect a Female leader, and as I said earlier, 40 years after the Tories did, are still no nearer to doing so.

If the rank and file got to see the views of the candidates without knowing whose views were whose, DA's would most closely match the majority of the Party, she is more in touch with the membership than David Milliband ever will be. The Labour party will never elect a Female leader, and as I said earlier, 40 years after the Tories did, are still no nearer to doing so.

Based on what?

There hasn't been an inspiring women in frontline politics for how long? Two decades?

Your arguments, as always, are rather weak and pathetic.

Based on what?

There hasn't been an inspiring women in frontline politics for how long? Two decades?

Your arguments, as always, are rather weak and pathetic.

Anne Widdecombe would have made a brilliant PM.

Lord Duckhunter:

The Labour party will never elect a Female leader, and as I said earlier, 40 years after the Tories did, are still no nearer to doing so.

View from the top

Based on what?

Your arguments, as always, are rather weak and pathetic

And there have been really inspirational male Labour leaders haven't there? People like Foot, Kinnock and Brown. :rolleyes: Blair was the only one that you could vaguely call inspirational. So your counter argument is rather weak and feeble too.

And there have been really inspirational male Labour leaders haven't there? People like Foot, Kinnock and Brown. :rolleyes: Blair was the only one that you could vaguely call inspirational. So your counter argument is rather weak and feeble too.

Think you're doing John Smith a slight injustice.

Think you're doing John Smith a slight injustice.

Yes, you're right. He was a man who had an aura of charisma about him and it is a shame that having arrived on the political centre stage, his presence there was not longer. Although I would never have voted for him, I do see that he would have commanded respect from his opponents. He very much calls to my memory Iain MacLeod.

Interestingly though, in the modern political arena, it all seems to be style over substance, so I wonder how the two of them would have fared nowadays?

Hmmm....now there's an idea....how many Tories would it take to 'join' Labour in order to secure the leadership contest for Abbot?

If you're prepared to pay £x per month depending on your salary.................

They could do with the money to try to tickle the level of contribution from Lord Ashcroft's millions.

Some Labour politicians are very clever but they don't have the gift of foresight.

Perhaps you should have stood as well, so you could oppose a war that no-one knew was going to happen?

Idiot

yes, I was in the cabinet at the time and knew what all the briefings were about

robin cook stood his ground and claire short..they were also in the cabinet and knew what was going on

unless, you really think that blair and co really thought there was WMD..?

yes, I was in the cabinet at the time and knew what all the briefings were about

robin cook stood his ground and claire short..they were also in the cabinet and knew what was going on

unless, you really think that blair and co really thought there was WMD..?

E. Milliband and E. Balls weren't even MPs at the time :rolleyes:

and probably had nothing to do with labour either...right..?

Just ordinary members, like me. Tony Blair never did pick up the phone to tell me what was going on.

However, in common with many other Labour Party members, I did protest against the war once it was declared. I then resigned from the Party, only rejoining once Gordon became leader.

Just ordinary members, like me. Tony Blair never did pick up the phone to tell me what was going on.

However, in common with many other Labour Party members, I did protest against the war once it was declared. I then resigned from the Party, only rejoining once Gordon became leader.

of course they were...lol

His career began as a writer at The Daily Telegraph (1990–94) before his appointment as an economic adviser to shadow chancellor Gordon Brown (1994–97).

When Labour won the General Election of 1997, Brown became Chancellor and Balls discontinued work as an economic adviser to him. He went on to serve as chief economic adviser to HM Treasury from 1999 to 2004, in which post he was once named the 'most powerful unelected person in Britain'

David Wright Miliband (born 15 July 1965) is a British Labour politician, who has been the Member of Parliament for South Shields since 2001.....Blair made him head of the Prime Minister's Policy Unit from 1997 to 2001....
Edited by Thedelldays

But he wasn't an MP or a cabinet member. He wouldn't have had the opportunity to comment on foreign policy, particularly as he was working for the Treasury when war was declared - he was a Civil Servant and they don't express political views.

No doubt you'll say that's not the case. Someone I know was appointed to be an Ambassador by D. Milliband. I asked the other day if his job was on the line now that there's a change of government. His answer? "No - I now work for W. Hague. I have to do what the Secretary of State tells me - as a Civil Servant I am paid to not have a POLITICAL opinion."

But he wasn't an MP or a cabinet member. He wouldn't have had the opportunity to comment on foreign policy, particularly as he was working for the Treasury when war was declared - he was a Civil Servant and they don't express political views.

No doubt you'll say that's not the case. Someone I know was appointed to be an Ambassador by D. Milliband. I asked the other day if his job was on the line now that there's a change of government. His answer? "No - I now work for W. Hague. I have to do what the Secretary of State tells me - as a Civil Servant I am paid to not have a POLITICAL opinion."

lol...but they were just ordinary members like you eh..were no wiser than you at the time..despite one of them being blairs policy adivsor

but hey, they probably knew as much as the man on the street...:goodman:

lol...but they were just ordinary members like you eh..were no wiser than you at the time..despite one of them being blairs policy adivsor

but hey, they probably knew as much as the man on the street...:goodman:

Your own quote says Balls worked for Gordon Brown, not Tony Blair.

He wasn't in a position to influence the outcome of the debate on the war. You might as well argue that the Tories were complicit in the war too, since they voted for it - something that Balls and E. Milliband couldn't do.

Like the Tories and many other Labour MPs, they might have believed the 'lies' but they were in no position of power. And, as I said before, Balls was a Civil Servant at the time and, therefore, apolitical.

It is quite apparent to me that you don't understand how government, cabinet etc. works.

Your own quote says Balls worked for Gordon Brown, not Tony Blair.

He wasn't in a position to influence the outcome of the debate on the war. You might as well argue that the Tories were complicit in the war too, since they voted for it - something that Balls and E. Milliband couldn't do.

Like the Tories and many other Labour MPs, they might have believed the 'lies' but they were in no position of power. And, as I said before, Balls was a Civil Servant at the time and, therefore, apolitical.

It is quite apparent to me that you don't understand how government, cabinet etc. works.

Robin Cook understood how it works

War was declared in 2003. In 2003 - 2004 Ed Miliband (to quote Wiki) spent a year at Harvard University, to study and lecture at Harvard's Centre for European Studies.

Ed Balls was chief economic adviser to HM Treasury from 1999 to 2004 - a Civil Servant.

Neither, therefore, in a position to influence Blair as far as the war was concerned.

If you come back with the same old b0llox, I'm going to ignore you as I've got better things to do than point out this simple fact time and time again. I wouldn't want you to think you've 'won'.

War was declared in 2003. In 2003 - 2004 Ed Miliband (to quote Wiki) spent a year at Harvard University, to study and lecture at Harvard's Centre for European Studies.

Ed Balls was chief economic adviser to HM Treasury from 1999 to 2004 - a Civil Servant.

Neither, therefore, in a position to influence Blair as far as the war was concerned.

If you come back with the same old b0llox, I'm going to ignore you as I've got better things to do than point out this simple fact time and time again. I wouldn't want you to think you've 'won'.

so, they were just ordinary members like you and poor old ethal in shirley..?