Reading friendly at St Mary's - 31st July 2010

Matthew Le God

Bit of a let down for me with our claimed ambition. Would have hoped for West Ham or even Spuds, at least somebody from the Prem. Won't bother with this one.

You're right, we should have paid out 4/5 times the fee for a game which wouldn't have attacted anymore than 3000 extra.

Who bothers with friendlies anyway?

Me me me oh yes ME!

This is perfect, am off on summer hols in July and will be stopping over for a few days on the way back here and bingo 12 quid is 60 Dirhams less than the cost of two pints AND I get to see the boys at SMS.

What's more I won't care that I'm sitting all on my own in the Itchen

I think Reading are about the perfect pre-season foes. An upper midtable championship side is about the level we need to be at to be assured of promotion next season. Should be an important game in judging how well placed we are - far more useful that say a match against Barcelona would be. The QPR match last year was an important and accurate gauge of where we were at the start of th season (up **** creek - thankfully we had a paddle but it took a while).

12 quid = 4 pints (give or take) = 1 post work trip to the pub (a short trip at that). Is it really that much to ask?

I agree completely with your first paragraph. I think it's an excellent friendy for the team. I just can't be bothered to go to it right now.

On whether we will get a prestige friendly, didn't AP make some rather disparaging remarks about whoever set up the Ajax friendly last year - along the lines of "God knows who had the bright idea of playing matches against the likes of Ajax - it is not going to help us winning matches in League 1."

Are the season tickets prices really that late? I seem to remember it was always after the end of the season when we were at the Dell and it seems to be quite a recent thing that the date has got earlier and earlier. One reason is the perilous financial state of many clubs. I suspect we are waiting for the ideal time because we can afford to. (Crystal Palace were selling season tickets for 2010/11 in October 2009!!!)

What's with the should of saved mantra!

For me a renwel date for season ticket's isn't a probem, first babe on the way and at the giddy heights of my of my income and time that will be available it isn't going to happen.

But for years I have bought my ticket by paying for it steadily through the summer. I know we are not used to winning, decent siging's and club stability, but some people still plan ahead by using club set schemes which cost slightly more to go to every match and support Saints.

Please give it a rest on this one and start a new thread called I SAVED FOR MINE/I'D LIKE TO PAY BY INSTALLMENT'S (seems snazzy enough).

Havant & Waterlooville, I am sure we will get a friendly reception there!!!! I've never been to their ground so tempted to do it, wonder if it will be similar to a visit to Fratton.

Can someone also explain how the skates can afford a pre-season tour to the US?????? what is that all about? A championship team, hardly a big name, in administation, touring around America.

"Portsmouth FC will bring a full first team on Saturday 10th July to play their only local friendly before flying out to America the following day for a US tour. The match again seals a deal with Pompey that will see the Championship side play their reserve team matches at Westleigh Park next season.

Three days later on Tuesday 13th July, Southampton FC will visit for an evening match, being the League One side’s first return visit for a friendly in seven years. Following this the Hawks are still set to take part in the Joma Challenge Cup in North Devon, the draw for which will take place over the weekend. "