Internet problem!

Have a Dell desktop pc to look at with a strange problem. Its running WIN XP home, the problem is it will not connect to the net and you cannot get the properties up on the built in LAN card (has most up to date driver) it shows up in device manager.And when you try to call up IE it flashes on quickly then straight back to the home screen. Also it cannot discover any network even after connecting direct through RJ45 to my router.

Any ideas please!!!

Sounds like a hardware problem rather than a software one. Do you have a known good LAN card to substitute in, and to shut the on-board one down in the BIOS..? I would try this rather than fiddling around with software, first and foremost. Make sure your ethernet cable is also sound.

BTW, don't worry about upto date LAN drivers. The standard one WinXP provides should do well enough. You can update it later.

Edited by St Landrew

Sounds like a hardware problem rather than a software one. Do you have a known good LAN card to substitute in, and to shut the on-board one down in the BIOS..? I would try this rather than fiddling around with software, first and foremost. Make sure your ethernet cable is also sound.

BTW, don't worry about upto date LAN drivers. The standard one WinXP provides should do well enough. You can update it later.

Yeah done this as well, put in a new Gigabit card, and could not call up the properties on this aswell. You can see it in device manager, but not in network discovery.

start-run-cmd

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Press Enter.

Then reboot.

Will replace 2 registry setting, the same as reinstalling TCP/IP and put a logfile on the C:\ drive showing what has happened.

Give that a go

You try this yet? ^^^

For Pete's sake, don't tell me it's disabled in Windows...? ;)

If it is, invent another reason for why it doesn't work..! :D

???

Sorry about that, SES. ;) You caught me in a funny mood. Hope Saint Stevo is able to sort you out there. I still think there might be a bit of hardware screwing up though.

Sorry about that, SES. ;) You caught me in a funny mood. Hope Saint Stevo is able to sort you out there. I still think there might be a bit of hardware screwing up though.

I figured if he has tried another NIC, and still had a problem, the problem probably lies elsewhere.......hence restoring the IP Stack to factory settings.....whether that helped, who knows it seems!

I figured if he has tried another NIC, and still had a problem, the problem probably lies elsewhere.......hence restoring the IP Stack to factory settings.....whether that helped, who knows it seems!
Hi stevo didnt get the time to do it yesterday. I am trying your suggestion now, and will report back forthwithe.

Hi stevo still no joy, did what you said, but i cannot get any web connection even thou i can see the Lan in the device manager : Intel ® PRO/100 VE network connection but still cant call up the properties for this device.

When i try the network connections folder i get the error message "the network connections folder was unable to retrieve the list of network adapters on your machine.

And the adaptor is enabled. :(

I have one green and one amber nics lit!

Edited by SOTONS EAST SIDE

Have you tried uninstalling the NIC's in the device manager, doing a reboot and letting windows re-install the drivers?

Failing that, try this-

Replace the (missing?) file c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\ndis.sys with a copy from c:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 or from another working Windows installation.

Or try to repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type: SFC /SCANNOW

Also, what service pack are you running?

Have you tried uninstalling the NIC's in the device manager, doing a reboot and letting windows re-install the drivers?

Failing that, try this-

Replace the (missing?) file c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\ndis.sys with a copy from c:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 or from another working Windows installation.

Or try to repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type: SFC /SCANNOW

Also, what service pack are you running?

Done scannow no joy, and its running service pack 3.