ECHO reporting!

djharvey

Well written, but be very, very careful when accusing a paper of slander, and then publishing it on a forum. As someone who did media law at Uni, you may be digging yourself a hole.

Bugger, I've already twittered earlier today :

"Southampton Daily Echo Sports Editor Simon Carter's future is in doubt". #saintsfc Hardly surprising news really.

And it's already been retweeted. Would like to see the Echo take me to court as it was a very reliable person that told me about the meeting tomorrow. :D

I have just e-mailed the ECHO asking them to address the poor reporting that has eminated from them. I have stated that they should be supporting OUR local club and not undermining them.

They have lost credibility and numerous readers.

Here' my message:

Mr Murray,

Please can you urgently look into the saga that has been unfolding between OUR local team SAINTS and the poor reporting that seems to be eminating from the ECHO.

I really am fed up with the negative rumours that seem to want to undermine the club and supporters of OUR club.

Surely you will sell more papers by giving good honest facts in tandem with OUR club.

It is clear to the vast majority of supporters that there has been poor reporting and Mr Cortese will not allow you to put the clubs prospects in jeopardy.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE sort out this depressing situation. The ECHO is losing credibility & readers.

E-mail them today, they need to hear us! newsdesk@dailyecho.co.uk

I don't like the Echo reporting unsubstantiated rumour. But the fact is, I go to the Echo's website before the OS and I suspect I'm not the only one. The Echo is on the outside as we are as fans. If Cortese doesn't like what the Echo writes he should seek to influence them. To influence them he must engage with them. The alternative is that the Echo will fill the void with rumour and gossip.

OK, none of you can substantiate any claims that the daily Echo did anything other than report back what was already in the public arena and none of you can back up any claim of a vendetta against Cortese. In that absence I've got to conclude you're all just plain wrong.

By all means have a pop at the media in general if you must but don't single the Echo out and then lack the intelligence to back that up. Ultimately you're just annoyed that unsettling stories have come out of St Mary's and who is to blame for that? Not the Echo. Maybe whoever briefed radio Solent? Maybe the fact that we still don't know why the programmes were pulled? Or maybe because NC has taken his time before coming out with a statement that attacks a lot of people and actually doesn't answer many questions other than it appears AP and NC have a lot of fun together.

The Echo will andoubtedly suggest, though not in the manner I'm going to put forward, that in the absense of facts issued by the club, in the time frame that is appropriate for the Echo, or its readership, they will continue to gather disparate threads of information, opinion and hearsay, and make it up as they go along. Somethimes they will get it right, sometimes not. It's what newspapers do, and is why I haven't bought one in about 20 years.

Now I wonder if I got my ill-informed opinion right..? ;)

Not having HARD facts in no way excuses the Daily Wrtetched for MAKING THINGS UP, which is completely different than REPORTING. By definition, Reporting is letting others know FACTS

Mind you, you have to applaud Cortese. Yesterday, he waited till it was too late for the Wretched to stop the print run........ THEN he releases the article on the OS

BRILLIANT, IMHO:D:)

The Echo is a joke. If it were to start reporting fact rather than fiction I might take it seriously, but frankly it has gone from bad to worse lately.

I thought many on hear were discussing the rumour put out by Solent

Not many Saints Fans are on the Forum so what is wrong with them discussing the speculation in the Echo for a wider audience .

Of course they would be wrong to say that Pardew was to be sacked but there was certainly lots of speculation.

I thought Slander was the spoken word and Libel was the written word

Indeed it is.

Also, newspapers who print libellous stories and comments tend to find themselves either issuing a public apology pronto or up in front of the High Court. As a result, a key duty of any journalist is to ensure that they are not going to encounter any legal issues with what they are publishing, particularly at a relatively small publication like the Echo where they don't have the financial clout to defend any resulting lawsuit.

OK, none of you can substantiate any claims that the daily Echo did anything other than report back what was already in the public arena and none of you can back up any claim of a vendetta against Cortese. In that absence I've got to conclude you're all just plain wrong.

By all means have a pop at the media in general if you must but don't single the Echo out and then lack the intelligence to back that up. Ultimately you're just annoyed that unsettling stories have come out of St Mary's and who is to blame for that? Not the Echo. Maybe whoever briefed radio Solent? Maybe the fact that we still don't know why the programmes were pulled? Or maybe because NC has taken his time before coming out with a statement that attacks a lot of people and actually doesn't answer many questions other than it appears AP and NC have a lot of fun together.

Area you for real! You only have to have read some of the stories written!

There has been no proof of these stories coming out of St Marys!

Attacks a lot of people! You are joking, and to say it doesn't answer many questions is plain ridiculous.

It answered the main question of Who is talking sh*t. Answer The local press!

It answered the main question of Who is talking sh*t. Answer The local press!

If you are naive enough to assume that Cortese is telling the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, and hasn't (reluctantly) changed his mind on certain issues, of course.

What a waste of time. I would much rather a press that challenged institutions then just bowed to them. I support Saints; i don't need a local media that just repeats the clubs PR. Everything needs to be challenged and thats what a good media does, sometimes that includes the echo.

You Sir are a ****.

I welcome the press challenging institutions, but i don't welcome them then reporting on hearsay when they dont get the response they want!

I don't need a local media that repeats the club PR, but i do need one that works in tandem with the club on simple pieces such as a press release on the training ground works!

Everything needs to be challenged, especially the level of your intelligence if you have to start throwing personal insults in my direction! :-$

If you are naive enough to assume that Cortese is telling the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, and hasn't (reluctantly) changed his mind on certain issues, of course.

If you are naive enough to think that he has to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth and is not able or willing to change his mind on certain issues, of course!

So what next? Can we expect to see ads encouraging people to buy the Echo on here next :smt102

Trying to defend the indefensible, I thought the silly season might slacken off now the statement by NC has been issued ( though I'm still not 100% convinced, never was and never will be in all probability as to his sincerity/agenda but am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now) but it seems that is not everyone's idea and continuing to stir it seems likely to continue unabated. I can only assume that either sheer boredom or sheer madness is now the order of the day !

Oh and indeed why should DJH ( or of course anyone) have to put up with personal insults?

Unbelievable.

Just emailed the Echo - advising them I would no longer be buying the paper and have urged my family to do similar - got this reply.

Many thanks for your email and comments regarding the Daily Echo and its Saints coverage.

Obviously we do not feel happy when some Saints fans become upset over our coverage.

However, it is difficult to see how we could have reported these matters in any different manner.

The facts are that the speculation regarding the future of Alan Pardew was started by Radio Solent quoting a source at the club close to the owner. The club and Radio Solent, as you no doubt know, have a financial arrangement so we can take what they say as an official view.

This speculation was taken up by national newspapers and elicited a strong response from such Saints legends as Matt le Tissier, Kevin Keegan and so on.

The Daily Echo sought clarification from the club day after day. We wished to put the rumours to bed and move on with positive news. A simple vote of confidence from the chairman would have quelled the rumours - this was not given. Yesterday, as you know, the chairman issued a statement on the matter and attacked us as well as others. The only media he did not attack was Radio Solent who began the rumours and speculation in the first place.

Now, some might say we could have, should have kept quiet and not reported on the whole matter, but that would be extremely unfair. Why should the Daily Echo, alone of all media, have to keep quiet on such an important issue to the fans? Why should Radio Solent, paid for by your licence fee, be allowed to start rumours and then escape any blame? Why indeed...

I believe we acted responsibly throughout and gave every opportunity for the club to put the record straight on rumour and speculation we did not start.

Some are telling us that the chairman only backed down over sacking his manager because of the publicity given to Pardew's cause and the support he received from sports legends, the media and of course the vast vast majority of the fans. I cannot speculate on that of course.

I hope that sets out a little clearer what has taken place.

Many thanks for taking the time to contact me.

Just emailed the Echo - advising them I would no longer be buying the paper and have urged my family to do similar - got this reply.

Many thanks for your email and comments regarding the Daily Echo and its Saints coverage.

Obviously we do not feel happy when some Saints fans become upset over our coverage.

However, it is difficult to see how we could have reported these matters in any different manner.

The facts are that the speculation regarding the future of Alan Pardew was started by Radio Solent quoting a source at the club close to the owner. The club and Radio Solent, as you no doubt know, have a financial arrangement so we can take what they say as an official view.

This speculation was taken up by national newspapers and elicited a strong response from such Saints legends as Matt le Tissier, Kevin Keegan and so on.

The Daily Echo sought clarification from the club day after day. We wished to put the rumours to bed and move on with positive news. A simple vote of confidence from the chairman would have quelled the rumours - this was not given. Yesterday, as you know, the chairman issued a statement on the matter and attacked us as well as others. The only media he did not attack was Radio Solent who began the rumours and speculation in the first place.

Now, some might say we could have, should have kept quiet and not reported on the whole matter, but that would be extremely unfair. Why should the Daily Echo, alone of all media, have to keep quiet on such an important issue to the fans? Why should Radio Solent, paid for by your licence fee, be allowed to start rumours and then escape any blame? Why indeed...

I believe we acted responsibly throughout and gave every opportunity for the club to put the record straight on rumour and speculation we did not start.

Some are telling us that the chairman only backed down over sacking his manager because of the publicity given to Pardew's cause and the support he received from sports legends, the media and of course the vast vast majority of the fans. I cannot speculate on that of course.

The Echo puts up quite a good defence here. They have a point about Solent don't they? And if it is true that Cortese's mind being changed by the publicity and support (who really knows?) then the Echo has done us fans a service because we want Pardew to stay.

The Echo puts up quite a good defence here. They have a point about Solent don't they? And if it is true that Cortese's mind being changed by the publicity and support (who really knows?) then the Echo has done us fans a service because we want Pardew to stay.

Yes I know Solent reported it because my brother phoned me up after we went to the Southend match asking what the Opinion of the Forum was

The Echo puts up quite a good defence here. They have a point about Solent don't they?

Yes, as I was saying from the start, but apparently that makes me an Echo employee :rolleyes:

And if it is true that Cortese's mind being changed by the publicity and support (who really knows?) then the Echo has done us fans a service because we want Pardew to stay.

Well the only person who knows for sure is Cortese himself, and let's face it, there's not a cat in hell's chance he'd admit to changing his mind based on fan support as it would a) implicitly give credit to the Echo, and b) demonstrate a lack of conviction in his own decision-making. We'll never know what made him change his mind, but I'm certainly thankful that he did.

That's assuming that NC intended sacking AP in the first place which I seriously doubt was the case. The Echo saying their pressure may have changed NC s mind is in my opinion just spin.

I think that is what they are saying

But are the echo saying they dont do any investigations themselves anymore and just listen to the radio and someone elses investigations and not checking to see if there is any truth behind them before going to print?

Have you communicated with Solent to see what their response is

Yes, as I was saying from the start, but apparently that makes me an Echo employee :rolleyes:

Well the only person who knows for sure is Cortese himself, and let's face it, there's not a cat in hell's chance he'd admit to changing his mind based on fan support as it would a) implicitly give credit to the Echo, and b) demonstrate a lack of conviction in his own decision-making. We'll never know what made him change his mind, but I'm certainly thankful that he did.

You mean IF HE DID!

I think ALL the key parties have been doing their spinning here. That includes Pardew - who, I'm sure, has friends in the media (as most managers do when they want someone to make a point publicly that they can't easily make themselves), and who has played his high standing among the fans to his advantage. It certainly includes Cortese, and the Echo - of course - is now at it after alienating a section of its readers with another major fallout with Cortese. The Echo may not be great but they're one of "the system's" vital checks and balances and the City would be worse off in many areas if they weren't there.

I'm more of the opinion that all parties have been trying sincerely to do their job well rather than sew any mischief, but it hasn't always come across that way and hindsight can be a harsh judge.

It's naive in the extreme to lay so much blame at the feet of the Echo (and others) and view Cortese as the white knight with flawless judgment and impeccable motives and tactics.

I'm scared of losing him (and Marcus), too, but that doesn't mean I should blind myself to his mistakes. I'm glad as hell that we've got him but I think he needs to re-think his tactics and do his part in repairing the Echo relationship. The Echo, though, will have to make the first moves in that direction.

do people really think that the club has been 100% honest about all this..?

how do we know that pardew's job WAS on the line (hence the story fed to us by the solent) but after a meeting all ended up OK..????

time to move on ffs

Point is made, we don't know for sure.........unless someone here is truly ITK !!!

Originally Posted by Graffito viewpost.gif

The Echo puts up quite a good defence here. They have a point about Solent don't they?

And if it is true that Cortese's mind being changed by the publicity and support (who really knows?) then the Echo has done us fans a service because we want Pardew to stay.

I don't disregard the fact that Adam Blackmore has added fuel to the fire, but the over whelming majority of all this is down to the Echo. Everything coming from the Daily Mail is just a rehash of original Echo pieces. It is absolutely ludicrous for the Echo to point at the Daily Mail as the instigators, for rehashing their own story. The Echo deliberately continued this by soliciting all the ex Saints they could get in support of Pardew.

Anyone who believes Cortese would change his mind after deliberating on the manager to take the club forward next season, does not get the impression I see in the guy. You could hang him up by his nads and I doubt he would change his mind once he has come to the decision as to what's best for the club. The only reason Cortese has responded is to reassure Pardew and safeguard the plans laid out. In all this vigorous fight by the Echo to change Cortese's mind, that was never going to happen. The only doubt that would have been created would be in Pardew's mind, over the assurances already given to him by Cortese.

If i'm wrong i'll happily accept the critiscm BUT....I do not believe for one moment that NC suddenly had a change of heart and decided those horrible people at the Echo and those ex managers and players are right and he shouldn't sack AP. I don't believe he ever intended to sack AP.

Being dissapointed we didn't make the playoffs yes...we missed it by a whisker and if i was NC i would be upset.....but sacking the manager who it was obvious most of the fan base was behind before these stupid rumours even manifested themselves, NO.

The man is to astute for that and unless anyone on here heard it to the contrary from NC himself anything else was just unsubstantiated conjecture.

I really do think people should move on and stop seeing conspiracy theories where none exist and read more into statements given than the exact words stated!!

If i'm wrong i'll happily accept the critiscm BUT....I do not believe for one moment that NC suddenly had a change of heart and decided those horrible people at the Echo and those ex managers and players are right and he shouldn't sack AP. I don't believe he ever intended to sack AP.

Being dissapointed we didn't make the playoffs yes...we missed it by a whisker and if i was NC i would be upset.....but sacking the manager who it was obvious most of the fan base was behind before these stupid rumours even manifested themselves, NO.

The man is to astute for that and unless anyone on here heard it to the contrary from NC himself anything else was just unsubstantiated conjecture.

I really do think people should move on and stop seeing conspiracy theories where none exist and read more into statements given than the exact words stated!!

yes, agree.

i thought the daily snail started it all off, then the echo jumped on it? wasnt the solent thing just some guy on twitter?

no..before the southend game..adam blackmore (during live coverage) broke the story that he had just spoken someone close to Markus regarding not happy at all about the non playoffs..

seeing as the solent are a client of SFC etc..I reckon that story was leaked to see the reaction...when they saw how well regarded pards is held...any doubt about his position was put in its place

to assume all this has been fabricated is naive at the very best

If you genuinely believe the events of the last week are down to the Echo making things up, you need serious help.

All the more so for the fact that the last thing the Echo needed to do was pour petrol on the fire of its relationship with Cortese.

They had everything to lose and nothing to gain by doing that.

All the more so for the fact that the last thing the Echo needed to do was pour petrol on the fire of its relationship with Cortese.

They had everything to lose and nothing to gain by doing that.

I dont think the Echo should not do a story because it might upset Cortese

Especially as it was being discussed all over place including this forum

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=22341

no..before the southend game..adam blackmore (during live coverage) broke the story that he had just spoken someone close to Markus regarding not happy at all about the non playoffs..

seeing as the solent are a client of SFC etc..I reckon that story was leaked to see the reaction...when they saw how well regarded pards is held...any doubt about his position was put in its place

yes, no-one was happy about not making playoffs, but certain factions of the media put 2+2 together and made 2.5 million! It didnt take a rocket scientist to work out the real reason why ML wasnt there but british media being british media decided it must be down to not making playoffs. I thought it was just the americans that cooked up conspiracy theories.

yes, no-one was happy about not making playoffs, but certain factions of the media put 2+2 together and made 2.5 million! It didnt take a rocket scientist to work out the real reason why ML wasnt there but british media being british media decided it must be down to not making playoffs. I thought it was just the americans that cooked up conspiracy theories.

So why do you think Blackmore said what he did?